Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down Trump's first 100 days 'definitely subpar' legislatively, presidential historian says

Trump's first 100 days 'definitely subpar' legislatively, presidential historian says

Hungry for a win after his failure to close the deal on a new health-care bill last week, Donald Trump's announcement Monday of a task force to streamline government should have been a palatable bread-and-butter offering to his conservative base.

But instead of rave reviews, the administration received a bitter pill to swallow: Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, the 36-year-old adviser tapped to lead the task force, will be questioned by a Senate committee investigating Russian interference in the U.S. election, including possible ties between Trump associates and the Russians.

Kushner came to the attention of the committee because of meetings he set up during the presidential transition with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, as well as a meeting with the head of a Russian bank on a Treasury Department sanctions list.

The committee news came hours after Trump's announcement of the White House Office of American Innovation, which will draw ideas about cutting bureaucracy from the business world.

Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, has volunteered to be questioned by a Senate committee looking into possible links between Trump's election campaign and Russia. (Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images)

Without any major legislative victories in the first two months of his presidency, Trump's unveiling of the Kushner-led task force would seem to deliver on a popular campaign promise to run the government more like a corporation and cut red tape.

But news of Kushner's expected appearance before the Senate intelligence committee sucked the air out of the innovation announcement, analysts say.

"Now they create this innovation entity, and they put Kushner in front of it. But then it's like, 'Whoops!'" said Jon Schaff, a political science professor at Northern State University in South Dakota who studies the first 100 days of American presidencies. "The whole thing is tainted by Kushner having to go in front of the Senate intelligence committee."

Any political lift would have been welcome after the withdrawal of the Republican leadership's Obamacare replacement bill from the House of Representatives just hours before Friday's scheduled vote.

Legislatively, Trump's first 100 days are "definitely subpar" in Schaff's view. But if the administration found health-care reform too complicated, tackling Trump's next legislative priority — overhauling the tax code — won't be easier, he says.

Try as the administration might, there don't appear to be any potential "quick wins" to offset the recent setback on the central Republican wish to repeal and replace Obamacare, says former Treasury Department economist Martin Sullivan.

"The White House is in disarray, the president's popularity ratings are very low, he needs a victory," said the tax expert. "But to go to tax reform when you're thinking, 'I need to show people I'm a winner; I need an easy win'? That's the last place to go for an easy win."

U.S. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin wants to get tax reform done quickly, but that won't be easy, experts say. (Kai Pfaffenbach/Reuters)

Even if he's ultimately successful, Trump might not get to make a triumphant tax reform announcement until 2018.

Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has said he plans to push for "comprehensive" tax reform before Congress goes for its summer recess in August. Fat chance of that happening, Sullivan says.

"The only way they could do that kind of a quick win is if they just paid total disregard to the deficit."
    'Complicated and incredibly contentious'

Tax reform is a complex matter. There's a reason there hasn't been any significant tax-code overhaul since 1986.

Conservatives believe the promise of economic growth spurred by tax cuts will save the day.

"Tax reform won't be a quick fight; it won't be an easy fight. But it's a winnable fight," said David Burton, a senior fellow in economic policy with The Heritage Foundation, a conservative-leaning think-tank.
    http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/ja...form-1.4043300

Whatever happened to good governance. Looking for an easy win? Really?

Has he actually achieved something important?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Became a living lesson to the rest of the world what happens if you vote for an angry baby boomer with no future vision and populist ideas what can' be executed in reality.

So i think he'll eventually have a good effect on the political landscape for all the wrong reasons, just hope for americans he doesn't screw the nation up too bad with his short sighted "profit" ideology that will ruin things long term.

10+ Year Old Account
    It takes cooperation from the LEGISLATIVE branch of government for the President to sign LEGISLATION into law.

The President can't do their jobs for them. Republicans and Democrats need to stop bickering and come to a consensus. You can also thank the Democrats for the long delay in confirming Trumps cabinet, something that Obama didn't have to face.

He's gradually getting Democrats and Republicans to work together to fight their common enemy: himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    It takes cooperation from the LEGISLATIVE branch of government for the President to sign LEGISLATION into law.

The President can't do their jobs for them. Republicans and Democrats need to stop bickering and come to a consensus. You can also thank the Democrats for the long delay in confirming Trumps cabinet, something that Obama didn't have to face.
    Yeah, Obama only had to face 8 years of obstructionism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

last i checked he has only been in office for 67 days now quite aways off from 100 i love how media is already saying he failed his 1st 100 days healthcare isnt his failure but dems and repubs who rather bicker amongst themselves instead.. obamacare is failing and will implode on its own i bet dems will somehow blame trump for that too

The GoP has the majority in each branch they dont need a thing from democrats. The party is ao used to fighting everything they can't get out of their own way. It doesn't help when the president is a man child that can't deal in reality.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by koltec View Post
    last i checked he has only been in office for 67 days now quite aways off from 100 i love how media is already saying he failed his 1st 100 days healthcare isnt his failure but dems and repubs who rather bicker amongst themselves instead.. obamacare is failing and will implode on its own i bet dems will somehow blame trump for that too
    You are correct he has quite a few days left. However the self inflicted wounds, lies and back peddling don't look good. We've been hearing about this doom from Obamacare for far too long. It's time to fix the errors instead of looking to erase Obama's legacy just because....OBAMA. How was Trumpcare a failure on the Dems? The freedom Caucasus and the fact that after 7 years of tears the GOP couldn't put together anything worth a crap is what really sank it.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    He just signed a bill the reverts a rule protecting workers.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ers-again.html

Now, companies will once again be free to underpay their workers, or evade safety regulations without fear of losing access to Uncle Sam’s deep pockets.
    That is rather impressive work. To get into office based on populism, then turn around in less than 100 days to give many of those voters the shaft. Quite a legacy he is setting here...

10+ Year Old Account

You mean Republicans need to stop bickering amongst themselves? Republicans hold all branches of government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really, Obamacare is imploding?

Weird, everyone that's not Trump, and actually knows about the subject, says otherwise.

Oh well.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Pretty sad if the Republican president can't even get the Republican controlled congress on his side.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Pretty sad if the Republican president can't even get the Republican controlled congress on his side.
    Hey, he's just keeping them on a long leash because he closes the deal. DON'T QUESTION THE DEALMASTERS WAYS, THESE EMBARRASSING LOSSES ARE ALL PART OF HIS MASTER PLAN!

Yes, we've been saying that for 9 years now. I'm waiting for ONE republican to put country before party. As far as cabinet most don't get theirs thru until mid April, can't tell Trump fans truths thou, that's somehow fake or "alt-facts". The GOP has the majority in the Senate to confirm Trump's picks. Stop playing the blame game and look at facts.

I'd say you have trump to blame for his cancerously bad choices.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

After 8 years where the new Norm is not to work with each other Trump needs to find a way to get them to work with each other.
    Instead Trump has done just the opposite. He's made it so even some of his own party does not want to work with him

ACA repeal and replace proved that Republicans spent 8 years being against everything Obama and his party had to offer, and that strat worked to get republicans the presidency and congress.

Now they need to work together and they can't even get their shit together as a party yet alone get everyone across the isle to work with them.

Democrats did not let republicans participate in ACA at all so they all voted against it, what did you think was going to happen when the republicans turned around and did the same thing?????

Also he is very screwed, even though his Party has total control over congress they now have to deal with "tea party" members who are going to make it next to impossible to get anything done because they want such outlandish things done to everything from healthcare to taxes.

also blaming democrats for his cabinet problems, is deflection at best. I mean how many more people have to resign or be under investigation before you slow down and take a real hard look at every one of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    Yes, we've been saying that for 9 years now. I'm waiting for ONE republican to put country before party.
    They're too busy, as a party, bragging about how, according to them, they're going to let the ACA "explode", causing harm and even potentially death to tens of millions of Americans.

They're literally bragging about not preventing this "disaster" from happening and instead, letting Americans suffer, because governing is hard. Because you know, spending 2 weeks on a health care bill is enough for them to call it quits. Meanwhile, Democrats spent over a year on that shit because they actually wanted to do something to improve peoples lives, and not just what was the most politically expedient.

It's legitimately one of the most shocking, ballsy, and disgusting things I've ever seen from a major political party. Ever.

its his failure.

Where is his great plan? His wonderful plan? Remember he said before he was elected he had something ready to replace ACA. instead he went with Ryan's plan. He owns this mess now.

Also the fact he is not moving to fix the broken parts of the ACA will make it Trumps fault and based on these town halls and polls its going to get stuck to him like glue

Pretty much.