Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    That's right guys, for some fucking reason we give morons like that a say in the nations future

There was a time when people with his deficiencies would be hidden from society in a big asylum. Not very humane but then, not very human either
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7653786.html
    nigel is going to be a refugee then?

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    in the end we ended up with more unelected ppl in power, who voted for may to be PM, i didn't.

We're not the USA, we don't vote for a Prime Minister in this country, we vote for the party we want to rule and the PM jsut happens to be in charge of that party. If you vote based just on who you want to be PM then you're doing it wrong

its funny, lots of ppl were pissed that for example, the politicians in the eu weren't elected, but they were, by the mps you voted for.
    Also May was voted for, by some of those same MP's you say vote for our MEP's. You can't say 'aha they are voted for' in 1 instance and then say but 'this person wasn't voted' when it happens in almost the same way.

god only knows why wales voted to leave, surrounded by morons who don't know where the money is coming from.. hint its not Westminster.
    Probably for the same reason a hell of a lot of Welsh people blame the Conservatives for current problems in Wales not realising that Labour have basically run Wales ever since the Welsh Assembly became a thing. Sure Westminister dictates their overall budget etc but Welsh Labour and occasionally the idiots in Plaid have the final say on what it's used for.
    People in Wales have no clue about politics is all I can assume, certainly from personnal experience of living there for almost 40 years.

oh and finally

i never vote
    Why are you even bothered who the PM is if you don't vote?
    Last edited by Attackrabbit; 2017-03-28 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Why are you even bothered who the PM is if you don't vote?
    I'm not bothered in the slightest, just found it funny that we ended up with an unelected pm, after ppl were complaining about unelected mps. it was also curious why wales decided to vote leave, considering we get a decent portion of funding from being part of the eu. but you did conveniently not mention that i see.

the vote in the uk is dressed up the same as it is in the usa, each party has a figure head. sure you are voting for a party although their policy is carried by one talking head and your vote is mostly going to be swayed by those ppl who you want to see being the person in 'charge'.

you might aswell argue with someone else because i do not care about politics. if i did i wouldn't be arguing it here.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-03-28 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    You seriously think the UK will prioritize Belgian fishermen over UK fishermen? You are deluded.

If the EU applies sanctions to imports against the UK, the UK will retaliate.
    Wow, that almost got me excited... go on, make more daring threats. That'll impress us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raakel View Post
    Still scratching my head over the dude that has the same hairdresser as Trump resigning emediately after the vote for Brexit and taking no responsability for any aftermath.
    Everyone's puzzled about that. But apparently irresponsible shittalking is a legit part of UK politics.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Wow, that almost got me excited... go on, make more daring threats. That'll impress us.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone's puzzled about that. But apparently irresponsible shittalking is a legit part of UK politics.
    The odd thing is, all people involved are acting that the talks are going to go really well and are going to be really easy. While everyone else with a realistic view on the situation is wondering if the UK isn't better of asking for an extension of the deadline the first month in since they (people who write these laws and deals) don't find it a realistic starting position.

I guess it hasn't really hit home yet. Since their main person for foreign affairs Boris, said he doesn't mind if they don't get a deal round by the end of the deadline. Makes you wonder do these people even know what they are in for? I mean like sure they can blame the EU for a bad deal on some parts after it's all done but what are they going to do if they don't get certain things done? still blame the EU and years after still blame the EU? I guess by then they probably retired to a warm country in the mainland living of some remaining UK pension fund. (side note i fully believe that Boris knows this is his final political position so he doesn't seem to really care for that reason)

Since that's the only way i can make any sense of it, i wouldn't at all be happy with these brass statements from people in charge claiming to have my best interest at hand acting that it all will be perfectly okay with no effort involved.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Since their main person for foreign affairs Boris, said he doesn't mind if they don't get a deal round by the end of the deadline.
    Beats getting a bad deal, and given that the EU is unlikely to offer an extension at all, why bother asking for one?

Makes you wonder do these people even know what they are in for? I mean like sure they can blame the EU for a bad deal on some parts after it's all done but what are they going to do if they don't get certain things done? still blame the EU and years after still blame the EU?
    The thing is, if there's no deal done then the UK just defaults to standard WTO rules - it's not like trade with the EU will be forbidden, or subject to a 50% tariff on everything (!).

So worst case, the UK walks away from any bad deal, uses WTO rules with the EU, and - now that there's no 2 year time limit - negotiates a deal over as many years as the negotiators on both sides need.

As for blaming the EU years later... well often things do take years to have an effect on the economy. Bad education policies now will still be having an impact two decades from now at least, to give just one example. It just depends on, you know, whether the EU deal (if any) actually had a measurable impact. I mean, if (for sake of argument) the EU had absolutely nothing to do with the trade in widgets, then blaming the EU for the parlous state of Britain's trade in widgets would be dumb.

= + =

As to the fishing industry... hmm.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...u-memo-reveals

This looks mostly like hot air to me. Let's suppose the current EU fishing territory in the North Sea etc will see 75% lost when the UK leaves*, because they were UK property when the UK joined the EU, a bit like how UK airspace is UK property, or how Kent and Sussex are. So if the UK government tells the EU to clear out of UK fishing territory, then the UK fishing industry gets that enormous area all to itself, whilst the EU fishing industry crashes. The British fishermen can still fish sustainably, in keeping with the UN fishing stocks agreement - but can still expand, because there'll be lots more fish to catch now the competition's had to bugger off. The EU can either over-fish now and crash later (in breach of those UN rules), or continue to fish sustainably and crash immediately.

The issue is whether the UK will consider it worthwhile to re-establish its "exclusive economic zone" over its fishing grounds. There aren't many people employed by the fishing industry in the UK (at least, not since we joined the EU...), so the government may decide that other industries are more important to secure, and shaft the fishermen. I'd be very disappointed in that, but ultimately the government's job is to secure the best deal for the whole of the UK, not just particular industries.

*Number pulled out of thin air, but that Guardian page shows just how much territory the UK will get back if it makes zero concessions to the EU in this regard, as would happen in a "no deal" Brexit.
    Still not tired of winning.

I'm not bothered in the slightest, just found it funny that we ended up with an unelected pm, after ppl were complaining about unelected mps. it was also curious why wales decided to vote leave, considering we get a decent portion of funding from being part of the eu. but you did conveniently not mention that i see.

the vote in the uk is dressed up the same as it is in the usa, each party has a figure head. sure you are voting for a party although their policy is carried by one talking head and your vote is mostly going to be swayed by those ppl who you want to see being the person in 'charge'.

you might aswell argue with someone else because i do not care about politics. if i did i wouldn't be arguing it here.
    I'm not arguing, I just found your post pretty funny to be honest. Nothing personal because it's always nice to see other Welsh people frequenting places I visit
    And I covered 'why Wales voted to leave'. It came under 'People in Wales have no clue about politics'

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Wow, that almost got me excited... go on, make more daring threats. That'll impress us..
    Herman my love, you are too easily triggered, calm down dear.

It really is very simple, the EU will be offered a free trade deal on the terms they have now, take it or leave it. The EU can't have their cake and eat it by cherry picking which bits of the UK they want and which bits they don't.

There will be no 50 billion exit bill from the UK to the EU or vice versa paid. If it wasn't the UK as a net contributor leaving but let us say Poland were allowed a referendum to leave and as net receiver of EU funds, would the EU pay 50 billion to Poland as they left? No.

With respect to fishing of course England will control access to English fishing grounds and not the EU. My understanding is Scotland will be given control of their fishing waters in further devolved powers and Madame Sturgeon, as a good European, may just hand them all over to the Dutch along with her oil wells. Might not go down too well with her SNP voters though. Oops.

How are those English lessons going btw? If you need another lesson...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I'm not arguing, I just found your post pretty funny to be honest. Nothing personal because it's always nice to see other Welsh people frequenting places I visit
    And I covered 'why Wales voted to leave'. It came under 'People in Wales have no clue about politics'
    i was just here kinda revelling in the irony to be fair, the whole referendum was kinda a catastrophe of misinformation, i don't vote as i don't often feel strongly one way or the other, although voting to remain seemed like a safe option, the better option and so I don't mind saying that i did vote to remain or at least made the effort to show i cared about that particular outcome.

its sad really because now scotland want a new referendum on their independence after we were throwing around the whole 'stronger together' thing, its just so hypocritical and ironic.

now if the UK was floating away from europe this whole thing would have probably made some sort of sense but were not going anywhere so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Soooo, it's wednesday in Brussels by now, march 29th has arrived.
    is there a formal meeting for the "letter of no return" or how will it be delivered, comes the hour ?

Well as i am planning to travel to the UK in a few months, i hope this tanks the £ against the $ even more.

£1 < $1 dream.

7+ Year Old Account
    Theresa May has signed the letter that will formally begin the UK's departure from the European Union.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39422353

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Soooo, it's wednesday in Brussels by now, march 29th has arrived.
    is there a formal meeting for the "letter of no return" or how will it be delivered, comes the hour ?
    It'll be delivered by our morning post owls, keep the windows open

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...sk-uk-ukrep-eu

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    It'll be delivered by our morning post owls, keep the windows open

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...sk-uk-ukrep-eu
    Yeah, the other link gave it away: meeting with Donald Tusk at 13:30 Uhr ( 1:30 pm) in Brussels.
    EU Summit is end of april and then it's EU's turn to deliver their letter: the guidlines of negotiations on behalf of 27 remaining countries.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    Yeah, the other link gave it away: meeting with Donald Tusk at 13:30 Uhr ( 1:30 pm) in Brussels.
    EU Summit is end of april and then it's EU's turn to deliver their letter: the guidlines of negotiations on behalf of 27 remaining countries.
    Did you mean more accurately on behalf of 1 country and 26 vassal states? Weren't they supposed to have a response ready within 48 hours of being served?

Not like they have had 9 months to prepare or anything...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Here, dribbles......where can I get some of that shit you've been smokin?
    On the NHS if the letter contains our 1 trillion euro counterclaim to their paltry 60 billion divorce bill.

https://www.economicvoice.com/the-uk...gainst-the-eu/

Enjoy!

The odd thing is, all people involved are acting that the talks are going to go really well and are going to be really easy. While everyone else with a realistic view on the situation is wondering if the UK isn't better of asking for an extension of the deadline the first month in since they (people who write these laws and deals) don't find it a realistic starting position.

I guess it hasn't really hit home yet. Since their main person for foreign affairs Boris, said he doesn't mind if they don't get a deal round by the end of the deadline. Makes you wonder do these people even know what they are in for? I mean like sure they can blame the EU for a bad deal on some parts after it's all done but what are they going to do if they don't get certain things done? still blame the EU and years after still blame the EU? I guess by then they probably retired to a warm country in the mainland living of some remaining UK pension fund. (side note i fully believe that Boris knows this is his final political position so he doesn't seem to really care for that reason)

Since that's the only way i can make any sense of it, i wouldn't at all be happy with these brass statements from people in charge claiming to have my best interest at hand acting that it all will be perfectly okay with no effort involved.
    Erm, the second the Brexit referendum was over, I was convinced that the British will blame the EU for everything negative 50 years after leaving it. It's much easier than admitting they fucked up. And rationale seems to have taken its hat last year in the UK. Don't count on them being actually reasonable anytime soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Herman my love, you are too easily triggered, calm down dear.

It really is very simple, the EU will be offered a free trade deal on the terms they have now, take it or leave it. The EU can't have their cake and eat it by cherry picking which bits of the UK they want and which bits they don't.

There will be no 50 billion exit bill from the UK to the EU or vice versa paid. If it wasn't the UK as a net contributor leaving but let us say Poland were allowed a referendum to leave and as net receiver of EU funds, would the EU pay 50 billion to Poland as they left? No.

With respect to fishing of course England will control access to English fishing grounds and not the EU. My understanding is Scotland will be given control of their fishing waters in further devolved powers and Madame Sturgeon, as a good European, may just hand them all over to the Dutch along with her oil wells. Might not go down too well with her SNP voters though. Oops.

How are those English lessons going btw? If you need another lesson...
    I've been on this forum a bit too long to be shitbaited by kiddos like you. You've had enough attention from me by now. Since your posts never actually challenge me intellectually and I keep correcting you on the most basic fundamental knowledge regarding the EU or Europe or... well, anything you write about, really... I'll now put you on my trusted ignore list and spend my time with people that actually manage to not hyperbole themselves into irrationality. Good day, sir.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Also May was voted for, by some of those same MP's you say vote for our MEP's. You can't say 'aha they are voted for' in 1 instance and then say but 'this person wasn't voted' when it happens in almost the same way.
    MEPs are elected directly by EU citizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    UK gov want to do whatever they feel like without consequences, but somehow at the same time they wanted to keep the trade benefits of being in the EU. I hope they have to pay for it. They're arrogant and entitled. They still seem to think they're an Empire.
    Empire? No.

Sovereign nation that isn't subject to the influence or will of the big bad EU? Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Brexit is still fucking stupid, gets stupider by the day, and everyone who voted for it can DIAF.
    So eloquent for someone who can demonstrate such a solid grasp on the intricacies and motivation behind such a move.