Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel: We’ll still be a ‘welcoming city’ for immigrants

The threat of withholding grants from so-called sanctuary cities that protect immigrants doesn't appear to be swaying Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

On Monday, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said that cities and states that are not in compliance with federal immigration laws may see cuts or clawbacks in grants from the Justice Department.

However, Emanuel told CNBC's "Closing Bell" on Monday that Chicago will still be a "welcoming city" for immigrants.

"In the city of Chicago, like New York, like Boston, like Philadelphia, like San Francisco, like Seattle, we welcome people to our cities from other shores who want to innovate, want to be entrepreneurs, who want to bring their families and give their children the chance at the American dream," said Emanuel,
    who noted his grandfather came to this country as an immigrant in 1917.

"I believe that people who have that dream and sacrifice and struggle to give their kids a chance at that American dream, we're going to honor."

Sanctuary cities help illegal immigrants avoid deportation by limiting cooperation with federal immigration authorities and other agencies.

Sessions argued the failure to deport aliens who are convicted of criminal offenses puts communities at risk.

"I strongly urge our nation's states and cities and counties to consider carefully the harm they are doing to their citizens by refusing to enforce our immigration laws and to rethink these policies," Sessions said.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/27/chica...mmigrants.html

In a time where some are embracing fear, hate and division, it is great to see the mayor standing his ground!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing wrong with welcoming immigrants. What people have an issue with is welcoming and sheltering illegal immigrants.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Deleted
    I'm totally in favor of legal immigration. People who have the skills, qualifactions etc that we need and wanna live here are totally welcome.

Illegal freeloaders on the other hand? Stay in your thild world country you unwashed scoundrels.

does Chicago have a lot of migrant workers? genuinely curious.

Sessions argued the failure to deport aliens who are convicted of criminal offenses puts communities at risk.
    Whats funny is the way it reads, government says they wont support citys who harbor illegal immigrants and mayor implies they only harbor legal ones.

As someone who lives in Chicago, they need to kick out the bad ones aka criminals and the ones who don't put effort into doing it the legal way. I wonder how many of the multiple shootings in Chicago are commuted by an immigrant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    does Chicago have a lot of migrant workers? genuinely curious.
    In the drug trade there is, Chicago is the biggest midwest hub for drug trafficking and getting the product out to other areas in the country.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I support Trump and Sessions on this.

The only thing I don't like is that it is hypocritical to push down legal changes, responsibilities, and costs to "state's rights" if it's in his favor, and then it's Fed>State if it's something he wants. If he wants to shift the cost of footing the bill for Medicare to states with the state's rights argument, then don't come kicking in the door if a state implements a law they don't like at the Federal level. Can't have it both ways. It's basically the complaint about the UN and NATO in reverse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    There's nothing wrong with welcoming immigrants. What people have an issue with is welcoming and sheltering illegal immigrants.
    Except that the people against one are most likely against the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Not accurate in the slightest.

There will be some but you are making an incredibly broad generalization and I thought people of your particular leanings don't like that.

I think you'd be hard pressed, outside trolls of course, to find people who literally hate every single person from another country and want them gone.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    In the drug trade there is, Chicago is the biggest midwest hub for drug trafficking and getting the product out to other areas in the country.
    makes sense, no argument from me those people need to go. however the solution to that is obviously not just deporting them.

10+ Year Old Account
    So if the city government refuses to cooperate with ICE, they will make the people of the cities more unsafe by cutting federal funding to police departments?

Sounds like a great plan. If you were the mob trying to extort someone.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2017-03-28 at 11:42 PM.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/27/chica...mmigrants.html

In a time where some are embracing fear, hate and division, it is great to see the mayor standing his ground!

Considering you're proudly Canadian, and your country is anti-sanctuary city and tougher on illegal immigration, I find your post hypocritical.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    So if the city government refuses to cooperate with ICE, they will make the people of the cities more unsafe by cutting federal funding to police departments?

Sounds like a great plan. If you were the mob trying to extort someone.

Those cities claim to be safer than non-sanctuary cities. So despite the fact that South Chicago, and a couple other areas of Chicago, have some of the highest murder rates they'll still tell you with a straight face they'll still be safe without the Feds help, nor want it.

Also keep in mind AG Lynch already said under Obama they were considering pulling funds from those cities.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNineMarine View Post
    No point in acting like a sizable portion of the country doesn't have a problem with all immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    Whats with this bullshit slight of hand?

Nobody cares about people who immigrated here legally. People do care about illegal immigrants though.

And "Illegal Immigrant" does not mean it's illegal to immigrate. It means you Immigrated Illegally.

In the same way that "Illegal Play / Illegal Move" does not mean its illegal to play /move. It means the play / move made was illegal.

Fuc
    The current White House is staffed heavily with people who feel otherwise. Our history is rife with such people.

- - - Updated - - -

Evidence please.
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/1660/immigration.aspx

Willful naivety never ceases to amaze.

Please show me your proof.
    Seriously? Its always weird when someone's argument is "Show me things even a base level of awareness would lead me to understand".

People like Mille and Bannon have opposed legal immigration for years. Major regime allies like King openly bemoan demographic changes.

Citation please.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

It's hard to be willfully naive about something you are literally asking for evidence on. But i supposed you require that type of mental gymnastics in order to keep your world view in tact.

So you show me a poll that shows the vast majority of Americans are okay with immigration with about 24 +- 3% being against it.

The pool contains no way to filter people who are against proper immigration vs illegal immigration.

Only real information from use here is that the majority of Americans according to this pol hates illegal immigration and wants immigration as a whole decreased (which includes illegal immigration due to the shit structure of this study).

Please link me to a study that does not intentionally conflate Legal Immigration with Illegal Immigration. I am sure there is one that exists.

Thank you for linking the one you did though. I didn't expect that from you because you are normally a drive by type instigator.
    The poll is of immigration. Specifically what we're talking about. If you want to pretend 24% of the country isn't sizable go right ahead, but its a dumb look.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The current White House is staffed heavily with people who feel otherwise. Our history is rife with such people.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1660/immigration.aspx

Willful naivety never ceases to amaze.
    SOOOOOooooo wanting to cut back on immigration is the same as "having a problem with immigrants"?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

I support sanctuary cities. It's a strange time when Democrats support more freedom, and less government than Republicans...

The entire argument behind whining about illegal immigrants is ridiculous. Yes, they are criminals... as are almost all adults in this country. People need to stop being so damn concerned about actions which do not actually harm others.

If they have opposed legal immigration for years it should be really, really, really easy for you to post me a statement from them stating that they are opposed to legal immigration, that they would like to reduce the amount of people who can legally immigrate to the US, that they want to put laws in place to make it harder to legally immigrate to the US.
    Amazing.

SOOOOOooooo wanting to cut back on immigration is the same as "having a problem with immigrants"?
    That's some serious micron hairsplitting.

- - - Updated - - -

How much of that 24% is perfectly fine with legal immigration but are against illegal immigration? There is no way for us to find out.
    The poll is of immigration. Which is our discussion. People who oppose immigration.

Find your own fucking source if you want one for something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    Considering you're proudly Canadian, and your country is anti-sanctuary city and tougher on illegal immigration, I find your post hypocritical.

- - - Updated - - -

Those cities claim to be safer than non-sanctuary cities. So despite the fact that South Chicago, and a couple other areas of Chicago, have some of the highest murder rates they'll still tell you with a straight face they'll still be safe without the Feds help, nor want it.

Also keep in mind AG Lynch already said under Obama they were considering pulling funds from those cities.
    We don't have 12 million undocumented immigrants. Can't compare the 2 countries.