Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How to retire your PC?

Let's say you want to get rid of your computer but there is personal information in it like photos. How do you clean this information permanently?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pull the HDD apart, magnetize it, physically break it, sell/re-use the rest of the parts.

Edit: or just buy one of these http://ameri-shred.com/product-detai...ders-series-1/
    Last edited by WskyDK; 2017-03-29 at 02:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take the drive(s) out, sell/trash the computer without it, put drive(s) in your new computer for extra storage.

If you don't want to do that for whatever reason, do what Wsky said.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-03-29 at 02:24 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Take the drive out, sell/trash the computer without it, put drive in your new computer for extra storage.

Otherwise, what Wsky said.
    This, no need to destroy a perfectly good hard drive if you can use it in your next system. I'd also consider recycling it, depending on the age, if you have somewhere local that does electronic recycling.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

If you're not going to reuse any component: Smash the HDD with a hammer. Sell the rest. Job done.

I've really never retired a PC. I keep using the parts in some fashion until they break. In the case that something manages to outlive its usefulness I take it apart and salvage electrical components/magnets for other projects. The idea of buying an entirely new computer and getting rid of the old one is an alien concept to me. My current main PC is a frankenmonster composed of parts spanning nearly two decades.
    Signature not found

Write zeroes, 2-3 passes.

This also works.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Pull the HDD apart, magnetize it, physically break it, sell/re-use the rest of the parts.

Edit: or just buy one of these http://ameri-shred.com/product-detai...ders-series-1/
    Magnets don't work. Been tested. You can still pull data off the drive.

Better to use DBAN zero the drive and reuse it or zero it and drill it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sledgehammer. It's cathartic.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, just erase the drive with a special tool. Each hard disk maker has a special tool to zero-fill your hard disk. That should be fine from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    If you're not going to reuse any component: Smash the HDD with a hammer. Sell the rest. Job done.
    I did this once for giggles and those disks are surprisingly difficult to damage that way. Probably not to render beyond reading mind you, but it really isn't as easy as you might think to destroy them this way.

It was an old HDD though and might have thicker/stronger disks than new ones mind you. Also I wasn't using something with the size/mass of a sledgehammer.

Unless you have highly illegal things on the harddrive, just drilling through it or otherwise physically disabling it in some way will prevent people from taking a look at your "summer photos 2011."

By that I mean, the efforts of looking will outweight what they could find. Most reasonable humans wouldn't bother.
    Last edited by Protean; 2017-03-29 at 03:29 PM.

Talk to the FBI, they'll help you dispose of it

For people I know that have sensitive data, I pull the HDD and drill a hole through it then toss it. The rest I drop of at our cities hazardous waste if it no longer has decent re-sell value.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post

Drill through the hdd/ssd.

Pretty much what whisky said, but I'd also go one step further and incinerate as much as I could

take it apart make coasters out of the platers to sell on etsy to help pay for new parts >.> (unless its an SSD)
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Or, buy a docking station for 1 or 2 (2.5" & 3.5") drives and use them as external storage. I now have SSD and 1Tb drive as extra storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Magnets don't work. Been tested. You can still pull data off the drive.

Better to use DBAN zero the drive and reuse it or zero it and drill it.
    Came here to say this, Darik's Boot-and-Nuke is great for this and leaves a usable blank drive.
    Super casual.