Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    1)Well deserved sentence

2)How exactly this work in the United States, republican and democrat mayors ? (in Canada, there are loads and loads of former MPs that become mayors, but for instance Major Denis Coderre is a former Liberal minister, not the Liberal major of Montréal.)

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    On another note, how do folks like him even become mayors?
    A quick google: By replacing a mayor that leaves for health reasons?
    http://www.vindy.com/news/2010/jan/0...or-of-hubbard/

Quote Originally Posted by Fudal View Post
    You are correct that his political party is irrelevant to the discussion. I disagree with your idea that he will not receive help while in prison. I'm sure that he will meet many people that will be happy to teach a short-eyes how to empathize with rape victims; he will probably receive multiple lessons in empathy.
    Ah yes, because he committed a crime, he deserves to be the victim of rape everyday until he kills himself.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so. If science doesn't know how to rehabilitate someone, it doesn't mean it won't discover a way to rehabilitate someone a few years later - nor does it mean that the person cannot be rehabilitated naturally, over time. Life sentence essentially proclaims: "You cannot be ever rehabilitated", which is obviously wrong.

Norway has a good system in this regard. They gave Breivik 21 year, but it is a flexible duration, it depends on how his rehabilitation goes; it can be shortened or prolonged, depending on the circumstances.

That's precious you think Brevik is ever leaving jail.

Not to mention that this odd impression that muscular convicts should be rewarded with sex slaves for the crimes that put them in the slammer.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    1)Well deserved sentence

2)How exactly this work in the United States, republican and democrat mayors ? (in Canada, there are loads and loads of former MPs that become mayors, but for instance Major Denis Coderre is a former Liberal minister, not the Liberal major of Montréal.)
    Candidates for legislative and executive positions can list their party affiliation on the ballot. Anyone can associate with any party affiliation, but you are limited to a single selection.

So when someone runs for mayor (an executive position), they can list their party, which will appear on the ballot.

I.e. With our Presidential Election the ballot looked like:

Hillary Clinton / Tim Kaine (Democrat)
    Donald Trump / Mike Pence (Republican)
    then the third parties.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

7+ Year Old Account

No matter what a person did, if you have to resort to life sentence or to death penalty, then you have failed miserably as a state. The justice system is supposed to be about rehabilitation; if you gave up on the idea of rehabilitating someone, then it is you who you should be rehabilitating first.
    Some people are garbage, through and through, and can never be trusted again. But I'm against the death penalty. Oh no, death is too easy.

The maximum punishment for the most heinous crimes should be: life imprisonment in solitary confinement with no chance of parole. AKA a living hell.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudal View Post
    The justice system is about ensuring compliance with the law and punishing people who fail to comply with the demands of society. It never has been and never should be about rehabilitation. The government is not in the business of teaching you right from wrong; that was the responsibility of your parents. There is a reason that you are placed in a penitentiary to serve your sentence; you are there to serve penance to gain forgiveness from society.
    And this approach is precisely what is wrong with the US system of justice, if you ask me. When it is not about practical elements (rehabilitation), but primal feelings (vengeance), you get the system with the largest number of prisoners per capita in the world, and yet high crime rates still by First World standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

His political party has something to do with what he did? No? Why put it in the title at all? To stir up some leet political debates? Good bait 10/10. I won't fall for it.
    Prot Warrior 2004-2008. Hunter 2008-2018.
    Retired boomer.

Deleted

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    And this approach is precisely what is wrong with the US system of justice, if you ask me. When it is not about practical elements (rehabilitation), but primal feelings (vengeance), you get the system with the largest number of prisoners per capita in the world, and yet high crime rates still by First World standards.
    Someone's going to make a fine pharma salesman. "Why fix the problem now when you can treat it with bandaids and pills forever!"

No. life/death sentences are for people who cannot be rehabilitated due to the excessive and/or systematic nature of their crimes. A vandal can be rehabilitated, a drunk who picked a fight with a cop can be rehabilitated, Someone who rapes a child 8 times in a 4 year time span, on top of other sex crimes? That's not someone you want anywhere near the general public. they're to be put in a cell and left to rot, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    It is of course imperative to point out that he was a Democrat several times, even though the original article made no mention of it, likely because political affiliation is not relevant to the story.
    You act as if the same thing doesn't happen to Republicans.

There's no good outcome here - no possible fix, nothing that will take back what has happened. This poor excuse for a human being did unspeakable things to a helpless victim. I don't support the death penalty, but this kind of bullshit makes me want to.

Disgusting.
    The article has a certain Pizzagate feel to it, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    One, he's disgusting. Two, he changed his plea to guilty yet he gets a life sentence? He bargained to only get eligibility for parole? The evidence must have been damning but his lawyer sounds terrible.
    He's only going to serve 10 years on 20 sex crimes (including 8 rapes)??? That's a pretty good deal.

Did he shave his rapestache for trial

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    Disgusting.
    The article has a certain Pizzagate feel to it, by the way.
    Oh shut the fuck up. We already know this is a load of shit, you posting conspiracy theories doesn't help in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    He's only going to serve 10 years on 20 sex crimes (including 8 rapes)??? That's a pretty good deal.
    I'll be amazed if he actually gets parole in that time frame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'll be amazed if he actually gets parole in that time frame.
    Considering what he did was to a four year old -- I'll be surprised if someone doesn't shank him in the shower less than 2 years into his sentence.

It generally doesn't.
    LMAO, you have to be joking.

- - - Updated - - -

It generally doesn't.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...officials-say/

A Republican state senator from Oklahoma is facing prostitution charges after he was caught in a motel room with a 17-year-old boy to whom he offered money in exchange for “‘sexual’ stuff,” authorities said.