Page 1 of 2
LastLast

960 evo worth it?

I am looking to upgrade my computer this week.
    I currently have an i5 2500k and am upgrading to...
    i7-7700k - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXSI216...QROCSYOEY&th=1
    Asus mobo - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTYV2Q...DN96X6BG&psc=1
    RAM - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EI5ZRQY...AQJA71J1&psc=1

Using an 850 evo 250GB boot drive.

Considering if its worth it to upgrade to a 960 Evo NVMe drive but ive heard that real world performance gains would be minimal, especially for gaming as WoW is really the only game i am playing.
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-E...ywords=960+evo

Is this drive worth it or would I not notice much performance over the 850 evo?
    Asus Z270-AR Prime
    i7-7700K - NZXT Kraken x61
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
    GTX 1070 Ti AMP Extreme
    XPG GAMMIX 1TB NVMe M.2 (2)
    Corsair Air 540 case

I wouldn't bother spending the extra money. But then again it depends on how much you value your cash.

Quote Originally Posted by cszsolt3 View Post
    I wouldn't bother spending the extra money. But then again it depends on how much you value your cash.
    Thats what I'm thinking since I could probably upgrade other components.
    I really want the new Corsair K63 keyboard since its much smaller and tenkeyless (I never use the ten key)
    https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Compa...1&keywords=k63

Also wouldnt mind upgrading my naga mouse to the new chroma model.

Heres another question. I currently have a GTX770, any point to upgrade to the 1060 if all I play is WoW?
    Asus Z270-AR Prime
    i7-7700K - NZXT Kraken x61
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
    GTX 1070 Ti AMP Extreme
    XPG GAMMIX 1TB NVMe M.2 (2)
    Corsair Air 540 case

Quote Originally Posted by jizzyburnizzy View Post
    Thats what I'm thinking since I could probably upgrade other components.
    I really want the new Corsair K63 keyboard since its much smaller and tenkeyless (I never use the ten key)
    https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Compa...1&keywords=k63

Also wouldnt mind upgrading my naga mouse to the new chroma model.

Heres another question. I currently have a GTX770, any point to upgrade to the 1060 if all I play is WoW?
    I went from a 760 to a 1060, plays exact same lol.

No, don't get a 960. There's almost no improvement whatsoever for games. For booting Windows you might see up to a 15% improvement. The real difference is for moving files.

I plan on ordering one for the system that in my sig so that can use my current SSD for more games/apps. I mainly dont want to have to see another drive inside my case and the mobo i have hides the m.2 under a nice cooled shroud.

Quote Originally Posted by jizzyburnizzy View Post
    Considering if its worth it to upgrade to a 960 Evo NVMe drive but ive heard that real world performance gains would be minimal, especially for gaming as WoW is really the only game i am playing.
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-960-E...ywords=960+evo

Is this drive worth it or would I not notice much performance over the 850 evo?
    There's 2 things at work here.

The big improvement with SSDs vs HDDs for the most part, isn't actually the much higher read/write speeds, it's the essentially zero access time vs the mechanical device. Especially if you are reading in a lot of little files, it's dramatically faster. So while a 960 might do that somewhat faster, essentially zero divided by anything is still essentially zero.

Likewise, while a 960 might be 3-5x faster in read/write, it just doesn't make that much of a difference if you are already talking about a small period of time. <Warning numbers pulled completely out of thin air for example purposes>Going from 3 seconds to 1 second, isn't nearly as noticeable as going from 15 seconds to 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    There's 2 things at work here.

The big improvement with SSDs vs HDDs for the most part, isn't actually the much higher read/write speeds, it's the essentially zero access time vs the mechanical device. Especially if you are reading in a lot of little files, it's dramatically faster. So while a 960 might do that somewhat faster, essentially zero divided by anything is still essentially zero.

Likewise, while a 960 might be 3-5x faster in read/write, it just doesn't make that much of a difference if you are already talking about a small period of time. <Warning numbers pulled completely out of thin air for example purposes>Going from 3 seconds to 1 second, isn't nearly as noticeable as going from 15 seconds to 5.
    Pretty much this. Is there a measurable, benchmarkable difference? Yes. Will you really notice it in day to day usage? No. If you are a large company and reading/writing lots and lots of data and your making money from that if it gets done faster? Yes, definitely worth it. For a gaming system? No, not worth it.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I went from a 760 to a 1060, plays exact same lol.
    Er, not really. Especially at max settings and a higher resolution than 1080p.

I went from a 760 to a 970 and noticed a difference in WoW.
    @jizzyburnizzy as likely the only person in this thread who actually has an NVMe SSD, the Samsung 950 Pro 256GB, I can say that unless you actually know that you need those read/writes and the access time, you really won't see much improvement over a normal SSD.

If you have the spare cash, go for it, but if you need anything like a new GPU (770 is kind of old, so a good upgrade path is here, whether the 1070, 1080, or 1080 Ti) and you already named off a mouse and keyboard you'd like, so I'd say you should definitely consider all of that.

If, let's say, you have every upgrade you could deem necessary, from a nice gaming monitor, to a keyboard and mouse you love, to a kickass GPU... then, only then, would I advise the NVMe.

Also, why the 7700k over the 7600k?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I have the two PC's hooked up right now, i am in the blasted lands the gtx 760 is getting 172 FPS the 1060 machine is getting 212. There is no way you could tell a difference between those two numbers unless you had a fps counter open.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I have the two PC's hooked up right now, i am in the blasted lands the gtx 760 is getting 172 FPS the 1060 machine is getting 212. There is no way you could tell a difference between those two numbers unless you had a fps counter open.
    Because Blasted Lands is one of the newer more graphically intensive zones in wow. Yup.

Stop your crap dude. One of these gpus is stronger than the other and will crush the other in graphically intense areas. I don't know why you aren't willing to accept that, especially given you own both.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Because Blasted Lands is one of the newer more graphically intensive zones in wow. Yup.

Stop your crap dude. One of these gpus is stronger than the other and will crush the other in graphically intense areas. I don't know why you aren't willing to accept that, especially given you own both.
    You dont need a fast GPU for WoW, where you got this idea is beyond me. I have the two systems right next to me, the 1060 gets a few more FPS in the spots of the game where the GPU can stretch its legs. Not only could you not tell on a 60hz monitor, these FPS are above what you could notice on a 144hz display.

Again, GPU does not matter for WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

He's actually right here. Once you have "enough" GPU power for WoW, anything beyond that doesn't make a difference, unless playing at 1440p or 2160p. A 760 already meets the minimums needed to stay above 60 when not limited by the CPU at 1080p, so anything beyond that really makes no difference in anything except FPS counters.

Quote Originally Posted by cszsolt3 View Post
    So wrong on so many levels. I've got a case with 4 HD slots of which I can only use two. I've got 2x 512gb SSDs in them. The m.2 drives are a godsend for me because now I have another two HD slots (one of which is already occupied with an 960 evo 1tb)

There are more factors than just price/gb.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    So wrong on so many levels. I've got a case with 4 HD slots of which I can only use two. I've got 2x 512gb SSDs in them. The m.2 drives are a godsend for me because now I have another two HD slots (one of which is already occupied with an 960 evo 1tb)

There are more factors than just price/gb.
    You do realize that with an SSD you can literally just use some double sided tape or velcro and put it where ever the heck you want? Or, rather than buying NVMe Drives(that's what they are called byw, not m.2, m.2 can be SATA form factor as well as NVMe) you could just buy a new case that had more slots and it would probably be cheaper than paying the difference between a SATA and a NVMe drive.

There are better solutions than buying overpriced drives that offer no tangible benefits to a gamer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You do realize that with an SSD you can literally just use some double sided tape or velcro and put it where ever the heck you want? Or, rather than buying NVMe Drives(that's what they are called byw, not m.2, m.2 can be SATA form factor as well as NVMe) you could just buy a new case that had more slots and it would probably be cheaper than paying the difference between a SATA and a NVMe drive.

There are better solutions than buying overpriced drives that offer no tangible benefits to a gamer.
    Truth, I've had SSDs just hanging in my case before... it really doesn't matter. =|
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post

Nope, M.2 is the connection type (M.2, U.2 or Sata) and NVMe is the transfer protocol type (NVMe, AHCI etc)

M.2 was formerly known as NGFF whichs name already shows how much you know (nothing) since it stands for Next Generation Form Factor

Of course you can velcro them wherever you want, but on the other hand you can also do it the correct way and not bungle it like a noob.
    Last edited by Karon; 2017-03-30 at 12:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, M.2 is the connection type (M.2, U.2 or Sata) and NVMe is the transfer protocol type (NVMe, AHCI etc)

M.2 was formerly known as NGFF whichs name already shows how much you know (nothing) since it stands for Next Generation Form Factor

Of course you can velcro them wherever you want, but on the other hand you can also do it the correct way and not bungle it like a noob.
    You are not only missing the context of his post but also arguing for the exact same thing.

He's calling it NVMe because it's regarding an NVMe drive being discussed and whether or not they are worth the money.
    There are also people assuming that M.2 and NVMe = the same, which is what he tried to correct.
    He's well aware that M.2 is just the form factor but to correct you in something.. AHCI is not what is designated in M.2 form factor drives.

The bus interface is and NVMe's bus interface is technically PCIe but that's hidden under the NVMe conditions since there are (currently) no other bus interfaces associated with them.
    SATA is another bus interface and is the 2nd denominator to an M.2 identifaction of a drive, f.ex. an M.2 SATA SSD or M.2 NVMe SSD.

Simply put we do not use a communication protocol specifically to identify an M.2 drive such as AHCI or IDE (technically IDE is also a bus renamed to PATA).
    M.2 already governs the communication protocols, it's always Form Factor + bus interface.

Therefore it's always M.2 NVMe or M.2 SATA.

10+ Year Old Account

Nice cheeky signature, only makes you look bad. Lathais was stating a fact that a lot of people don't seem to comprehend yet.

Also, quit flaming people. It's unbecoming of you.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    You are not only missing the context of his post but also arguing for the exact same thing.

He's calling it NVMe because it's regarding an NVMe drive being discussed and whether or not they are worth the money.
    There are also people assuming that M.2 and NVMe = the same, which is what he tried to correct.
    He's well aware that M.2 is just the form factor but to correct you in something.. AHCI is not what is designated in M.2 form factor drives.

The bus interface is and NVMe's bus interface is technically PCIe but that's hidden under the NVMe conditions since there are (currently) no other bus interfaces associated with them.
    SATA is another bus interface and is the 2nd denominator to an M.2 identifaction of a drive, f.ex. an M.2 SATA SSD or M.2 NVMe SSD.

Simply put we do not use a communication protocol specifically to identify an M.2 drive such as AHCI or IDE (technically IDE is also a bus renamed to PATA).
    M.2 already governs the communication protocols, it's always Form Factor + bus interface.

Therefore it's always M.2 NVMe or M.2 SATA.
    He literally said that m.2 is the protocol and that there are SATA m.2 drives which is impossible. Font try to read between lines when there is nothing to read there.

Also, ahci isn't a bus interface.

Bus interfaces: IDE, Serial Ata (SATA), U.2, M.2

They are (heavily simplified and technically not 100% correct) the connector used to connect the devices.

Logical device Interfaces: Ahci, NVMe

They are the transfer protocol (again, heavily simplified and not the correct term) which tells you how they transfer data.
    Last edited by Karon; 2017-03-30 at 02:39 PM.