Deleted

Quality issues with expensive gaming monitors?

Hi guys,
    I'm quite frustrated at the moment. I returned an ASUS PG348Q for the third time, because of inacceptable quality problems. The first time, the monitor seemed to be already unboxed by another person and had a broken plastic application. The second time, the monitor developed dead pixels after a few days and on the third try, I didn't even bother to fully build him up, because I could already see a 10cm long scratch on the display.

What the hell is wrong with the quality management? I tried to find a good alternative but it seems that even Acer and LG take part in this "lottery" and it's all about luck, to get a fully functional monitor. I've also read a few horror stories about some persons, that had to return their monitors for about 3-5 times to finally get a flawless one. This is madness!

And these monitors aren't cheap! The PG348Q costs about 1.200 EUR.

I'm currently looking for a >100Hz/G-Synch/IPS Panel but every monitor with these specs has a significant amount of bad and believable reviews:

Dell S2716DG => Good Reviews, but TN Panel - Colors/Gamma seem to suck
    Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz => Very good specs but quality lottery

Especially the high-price-bracket for monitors seems to be extremely unreliable. Do you have some tipps?

find a different retailer to buy stuff from?

Quote Originally Posted by Noctim View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm quite frustrated at the moment. I returned an ASUS PG348Q for the third time, because of inacceptable quality problems. The first time, the monitor seemed to be already unboxed by another person and had a broken plastic application.
    This is a problem with the seller/retailer in all probability, not the manufacturer.

The second time, the monitor developed dead pixels after a few days
    This can and does happen with ANY LCD display, it's why most vendors have a "X number minimum of dead/stuck pixels before considered defective" policy.

and on the third try, I didn't even bother to fully build him up, because I could already see a 10cm long scratch on the display.
    Possibly inadequate packaging, more likely abuse during shipping.

Aside from the second one, none of the issues you describe are really issues with the "monitor" per se. Even with the second one, while unfortunate and extremely annoying, it is something ALL manufactures have to deal with as it's a problem inherent to the technology.

What the hell is wrong with the quality management? I tried to find a good alternative but it seems that even Acer and LG take part in this "lottery" and it's all about luck, to get a fully functional monitor. I've also read a few horror stories about some persons, that had to return their monitors for about 3-5 times to finally get a flawless one. This is madness!

And these monitors aren't cheap! The PG348Q costs about 1.200 EUR.

I'm currently looking for a >100Hz/G-Synch/IPS Panel but every monitor with these specs has a significant amount of bad and believable reviews:

Dell S2716DG => Good Reviews, but TN Panel - Colors/Gamma seem to suck
    Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz => Very good specs but quality lottery

Especially the high-price-bracket for monitors seems to be extremely unreliable. Do you have some tipps?
    You want a perfect flawless product in an imperfect and flawed world. There isn't a magic bullet for this. Sometimes you're going to get unlucky, buy from some place with a good return policy if you demand perfection.

Complaining about certain features like TN panel having bad color/gamma, is pretty much of a "Yeah, what were you expecting?" as those are flaws inherent to the technology. A lot of top end gaming monitors use TN panels because they have much lower response times (1ms for the good ones) and are easier to drive at high refresh rates.

You might want to do some reading up on the different panel types. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Some manufactures do offer "no-dead pixel models, but expect to pay extra for that.
    Last edited by Akainakali; 2017-03-29 at 06:47 PM.

Deleted
    You want a perfect flawless product in an imperfect and flawed world. There isn't a magic bullet for this. Sometimes you're going to get unlucky, buy from some place with a good return policy if you demand perfection.
    Actually, yes. Of course. Especially when it gets to a price with more than three numbers.
    I don't think that demanding an undamaged screen has something to do with "perfection". It's common sense to expect above average quality in this price class for a new item.

I am also aware of the differences between IPS and TN panels, thank you. But it seems that no matter which technology you chose, you have to deal with both major advantages and disadvantages. Is there a monitor or manufacturer that combines the best of both worlds?

LG makes most of the IPS panels we get in "Gaming" monitors these days. So mostly it's down to them dropping the ball. The 34" IPS panel they produce has had so many faults in it.. and yet they are still selling it at $700+ on the low end models, which frankly is a bit ridiculous, when you get "features" like image retention, which shouldn't happen in any LCD worth a penny. But when the competition is basically quantum dot VA's from Samsung with infancy issues, you can get away with it.

Other factor are the companies making the monitor. Mostly from what I've see(at least on the ultra wides), good enough seems to be the name of the game.

As a tip, I'd wait till LG comes with their next ultrawide panel and hopefully that has all the kinks ironed out.. Shouldn't be too long now as they are really pushing HDR atm. Or just get lucky with a good Panel without any issues.