Page 70 of 95 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The 5960x can't run WoW either in its current state. Poor performance in WoW has more to do with WoW than your hardware.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Oh its most definitely a WoW thing, or an optimization issue with how ryzen works with the game. All my other games play great, but of course the one i play the most its a potato lol. And yes ryzen 1700 is core for core at least ~13% faster than sandy bridge, i should not be getting lower FPS in WOW but i am. My GPU is money, fully up to date with 378.92 drivers.
    Well according to https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html the single thread performance of a 1700x is on par with a stock 2500k. Since you overclocked it you should get better performance on the i5. Perhaps not as much as you do but maybe it is doing something stupid with moving the thread around - have you tried setting process affinity or disabling SMT?

In any case I'd expect the R7 to be a step down when it comes to those single threaded games like wow and some flight sims.

Thank you for running these tests, even though now I can't really justify getting myself a new system...
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2017-03-29 at 10:40 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Mm.. Am holding solid 60 FPS on 1440p. So far havent seen many dips below(some in Dalaran, but so does my 6600K @4,6GHz), but I also havent raided past two weeks, so hard to say where it really lands. Overall I havent seen it go nowhere near 30 FPS on ultra 10 though.
    Dont they scale better at higher resolutions?

I cant remember, my mind is toast trying to get these playing better on wow. I have let it go, Im on preset 7, shadows turned down to good and distance to 8 and if I dont pay attention to fps it is fluid and smooth. I am running it on a Dell Freesync 75Hz...and memory speeds and timings, I am not bothering with them anymore. I'll wait for bios updates.

It would be wise for AMD to work with board manufacturers and get a lot of this ironed out before April 11th

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of AM4 boards just came in stock at Newegg a bit ago if anyone needed one still. I snagged an MSI B350M Mortar Artic.
    Last edited by Usagi Senshi; 2017-03-29 at 12:45 PM.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Deleted
    Ya its definitely a blizzard thing, even SWTOR plays as good or better which is probably about as close as you can get to a Wow style engine.

This isnt in my head tho, its absolutely getting 10-15 less FPS than my 2500k machine in CPU bound scenarios of the game. Really hope the engine gets an overhaul sooner than later lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoke too soon, cenarius was a stuttery mess. Sigh.
    You might want to check if the CPU is maintaining its clock speed at the load, WoW doesn't overload the cores so the CPU might not be running at its highest clock speed, try create a custom overclock profile where the OC is set at its top speed 100% of the time and do a test, I am not suggesting you run your system like this all the time, its just to see if the CPU is actually going full tilt with the game.

The peak FPS isn't the issue here, its your minimum, something is causing the performance to bounce up and down and it could be what I'm suggesting here.

So this is just nutty, been doing extensive testing between old and new PC. Out in the open world the new one gets more FPS as expected given that it has a 1060 vs a 760 (but honestly its not much, 170 fs vs 200) but once you get near a bunch of people the ryzen machine falls flat on its face and is a good 10-15 FPS behind the 2500k machine. WoW legit thinks the ryzen is a slower CPU, makes no dam sense lol.

And yes the clocks are coming up, 4 cores load at 3.8ghz rest at cool n quiet 1.5ghz. I have tried everything from stock bios settings (worse fps), SMT disabled (no change) and core affinity (no change when set to 4 or more cores).

If you play WoW a lot i highly suggest avoiding ryzen for now, might be going to microcenter tonite to grab 7700k and board, le sigh lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    So this is just nutty, been doing extensive testing between old and new PC. Out in the open world the new one gets more FPS as expected given that it has a 1060 vs a 760 (but honestly its not much, 170 fs vs 200) but once you get near a bunch of people the ryzen machine falls flat on its face and is a good 10-15 FPS behind the 2500k machine. WoW legit thinks the ryzen is a slower CPU, makes no dam sense lol.

And yes the clocks are coming up, 4 cores load at 3.8ghz rest at cool n quiet 1.5ghz. I have tried everything from stock bios settings (worse fps), SMT disabled (no change) and core affinity (no change when set to 4 or more cores).

If you play WoW a lot i highly suggest avoiding ryzen for now, might be going to microcenter tonite to grab 7700k and board, le sigh lol.
    This is probably something Blizzard might just patch, so I would just wait. Something is obviously very wrong there.

Ya if anything it just shows how incredibly poor the WoW engine is. Im gonna just breathe and test my memory later tonite lol.

Also, my absolute retard of a neighbor locked the front door so i missed the fed ex guy, yay for driving 40 mins to pick it up later? lol

Deleted
    WoW legit thinks the ryzen is a slower CPU, makes no dam sense lol.
    Well it IS the slower CPU when it comes to pure single thread performance, isn't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lloewe View Post
    Well it IS the slower CPU when it comes to pure single thread performance, isn't it?
    Zen's IPC is around ~3% better than Haswell's excluding AVX256 tasks and Haswell's IPC is also slightly higher than Sandy's. Its SMT is also slightly better but you have to count the clock difference and many other variables. There are some tricks to increase its performance a little bit here.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2017-03-29 at 09:15 PM.

Nah not against a 2500k. Ryzen is 13-17% faster than sandy in IPC, i had my 2500k clocked at 4.2ghz, ryzen at 3.8. The losses i am seeing in game simply make zero sense.

Deleted
    Nah not against a 2500k. Ryzen is 13-17% faster than sandy in IPC, i had my 2500k clocked at 4.2ghz, ryzen at 3.8. The losses i am seeing in game simply make zero sense.
    Depends on how you measure IPC, it is not a fixed number and as linked previously, passmark shows the 1700x (3.8 turbo) on the same level as a stock 2500k.

Depends on how you measure IPC, it is not a fixed number and as linked previously, passmark shows the 1700x (3.8 turbo) on the same level as a stock 2500k.
    Well either way a 4.2ghz 2500k and 3.8 1700 are pretty darn close in single thread performance. Didnt buy this expecting gains as i knew that going in, but what is unexplainable is the losses ive experienced. Its not a small number 10-15 FPS when you are already down close to 60 is a big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    People typically measure IPC using number of different applications and basically average it out. Just using passmark is pointless as its only one data point (poor one imo since it's not a real world like rendering, compression, encryption, etc type of bench).
    For example, Sandy Bridge to Skylake saw a huge uplift in Dolphin emulator benchmark, but everything else was extremely minimal or no improvement. Same thing applies to Zen, need more data points as a CPU isn't dictated by one type of workload.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    People typically measure IPC using number of different applications and basically average it out. Just using passmark is pointless as its only one data point (poor one imo since it's not a real world like rendering, compression, encryption, etc type of bench).
    Well gaming doesn't really contain lots of that stuff, so an average isn't the best either and for me passmark seemed to be somewhat close gaming performance in the past.

Sure, the average number is great if your workload is average, but for a lot of people that isn't the case or at least not when you look at what performance they care about.
    If a PGP message takes 10 microseconds longer to encrypt no one bats an eye, but if their frame rate drops by two everybody loses their minds
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2017-03-29 at 10:00 PM.

Ya its definitely a blizzard thing, even SWTOR plays as good or better which is probably about as close as you can get to a Wow style engine.

This isnt in my head tho, its absolutely getting 10-15 less FPS than my 2500k machine in CPU bound scenarios of the game. Really hope the engine gets an overhaul sooner than later lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Spoke too soon, cenarius was a stuttery mess. Sigh.
    Have you tried with HPET on/off and also, make sure you aren't using the balanced power plan in Windows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well gaming doesn't really contain lots of that stuff, so an average isn't the best either and for me passmark seemed to be somewhat close gaming performance in the past.

Sure, the average number is great if your workload is average, but for a lot of people that isn't the case or at least not when you look at what performance they care about.
    If a PGP message takes 10 microseconds longer to encrypt no one bats an eye, but if their frame rate drops by two everybody loses their minds
    Was more for general measurement not for specifics because saying IPC and gaming performance can be completely different. Which is why I noted the emulation benchmark. Also WoW is the odd one out, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Have you tried with HPET on/off and also, make sure you aren't using the balanced power plan in Windows.
    Balanced power plan has actually been shown to improve performance in a lot of games, i dont know the details of how and why but many people have reported this in the ryzen owners thread. And of course i have tested both high performance and balanced, no change in WoW.

HPET is probably the one thing i havent tried because for one i dont know how to disable it (dont see anything in bios for it) and also i have heard it can have negative effects when you disable in windows 10. (along with some positives)

10+ Year Old Account
    AdoredTV is calling out on bad benchmarking practices. Turns out, the FX-8350 does beat out the 2500K in a lot of benchmarks. Which is odd, considering this CPU was considered a huge failure. This has changed from 2012 to today, which the 8350 is now doing better. Also pointing out how badly optmized Star Craft is, and why are people using this benchmark today at all? Might be something to pay attention to since this maybe related to WoW.

Basically he's pointing out that reviewers can prove anything they want to prove, and that this is also effecting RyZen benchmarks. He's going to have a part 2 with RyZen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, one of the thing about the constructor cores was that module was being treated as a full core by Windows instead of treating it like SMT for quite a while. That changed recently with Win10 though where it now starts treating the module like SMT.