Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I don't see the problem. Its balancing free speech vs students need to go to class. Letting the entire campus be a free speech zone can directly interfere with a college's primary purpose: education by blocking students paths / harassing them as they go to class.

UNT had a similar zone, but it was directly in front of the student union which all students used so it was basically fine.
    You're using the possibility of one extreme to try to counter another. Having a tiny free speech zone, which might be just in a corner of a large campus isn't good enough. Why not allow them to use a student square, activity center, etc? If they aren't blocking travel paths, door ways, etc, this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    designated free speach zone? lol what
    A holdover from the Bush days, I believe that's when "free speech zones" made their first appearance in reaction to many of the large protests that would take place when he would travel the US during the early days of the Iraq (and I believe Afghan as well) war.

Quote Originally Posted by Zandro View Post
    Isn't America a free speech zone?
    As of yesterday, the mad cheeto designated America a open air landfill.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Healy v. James:

"[T]he precedents of this Court leave no room for the view that, because of the acknowledged need for order, First Amendment protections should apply with less force on college campuses than in the community at large. Quite to the contrary, “the vigilant protection of constitutional freedoms is nowhere more vital than in the community of American schools.”

And answering your question is a waste of time when you do not understand the basic principles.
    4th time not answering my question. Keep dodging though!

Should a student be allowed to filibuster a class?

But thank you for an actual source this time. That particular case, while not a perfect comparison to this particular situation, it at least gives him a slight chance to win his case.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You're using the possibility of one extreme to try to counter another. Having a tiny free speech zone, which might be just in a corner of a large campus isn't good enough. Why not allow them to use a student square, activity center, etc? If they aren't blocking travel paths, door ways, etc, this shouldn't be much of an issue.
    I've actually been harassed at UW campus by said free speechers so its not really a tiny possiblity.

Anyways thats why Im ok with UNT's approach. The designated area is in a large, frequently crowded with students area. They also occationally let anti abotion people use a large grassy area next to the admin offices, which is next to the Union. Basically, they arent ever hidden away, but they arent allowed to go around and harass people either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post

But thank you for an actual source this time. That particular case, while not a perfect comparison to this particular situation, it at least gives him a slight chance to win his case.
    One last time, public universities are bound by first and all other relevant amendments. No matter what you think about the wording of the actual amendment. Is that getting clear now?
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

One could argue that such an action is causing harm to others, since their time (and money) is being taken away from them. That's not the same as free speech outside of the actual learning environment.

But screw it, I say they should be able to filibuster a class. Let's do it.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    He should know better to hand out copies of the constitution, he should have been setting it and flags on fire instead.
    yeah because that would go over well on school grounds, wouldn't it? /eyeroll

it's up to the school to determine what happens on their campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I've actually been harassed at UW campus by said free speechers so its not really a tiny possiblity.

Anyways thats why Im ok with UNT's approach. The designated area is in a large, frequently crowded with students area. They also occationally let anti abotion people use a large grassy area next to the admin offices, which is next to the Union. Basically, they arent ever hidden away, but they arent allowed to go around and harass people either.
    Unfortunately the article just say it wasn't a big space, and doesn't tell where it was even located. I'm thinking of plenty of areas on my campus that could easily be allowed for protests (actually they don't seem to care, I saw a Bernie/Anti-Trump one today just marching around the student square with signs and chanting) ...

I just don't see the issue, as long as they aren't actually impeding students, or grabbing them, or causing safety concerns... sure, people trying to hand you things is totally annoying... but I don't think that should inhibit speech. One guy was hanging out copies of the constitution. He wasn;t blocking roads or doors and throwing buckets of pigs blood on people.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    One last time, public universities are bound by first and all other relevant amendments. No matter what you think about the wording of the actual amendment. Is that getting clear now?
    And I admitted that he has a chance to win. Are you incapable of reading?

And I admitted that he has a chance to win. Are you incapable of reading?

Given we're talking on a Public Campus, and not Private, and is not violating any law or policy that doesn't violate constitutional rights, yes.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    Given we're talking on a Public Campus, and not Private, and is not violating any law or policy that doesn't violate constitutional rights, yes.
    So in your eyes it would be unacceptable for a college to remove a student who was giving a speech that prevents the professor from doing their job?

Free speech zone? What the fuck? And at a college no less.

Seems to me the whole campus should be a free speech zone. If anything they should have a tiny "restricted speech zone". You should be asking yourself "Is this a place where my speech is restricted?" not "Is this a place where my speech is free?".

Free speech needs its limitations of course. You don't want people to just shout and scream in a classroom where people are taking an exam or in a court of law. But this is nowhere near where a limitation should be. Fuck this college.
    Last edited by Docturphil; 2017-03-29 at 09:44 PM.

So in your eyes it would be unacceptable for a college to remove a student who was giving a speech that prevents the professor from doing their job?
    You are getting really off topic here. Nothing that comes of your example really relates to this, except both examples involve the college campus as a whole.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You are getting really off topic here. Nothing that comes of your example really relates to this, except both examples involve the college campus as a whole.
    People are making a claim that colleges can't limit free speech. Preventing someone from filibustering a class is an example that most people would deem an acceptable violation of free speech on a college campus.

10+ Year Old Account
    He'll probably win, but it's going to be centered on the "free speech zone" in question being too small and not located in a primary campus area (it's in a parking lot).

The idea of a "free speech zone" isn't a restriction of speech, it's a restriction of what location you can use on campus for that purpose. Same kind of way that it being a public institution doesn't mean you have access, as a student, to all professor's offices or Account Services offices or whatnot. They're free to restrict that stuff as long as they're providing a reasonable outlet for you to express yourself.

The reason you can't wander into a classroom and hijack the class by claiming "free speech" is the same one backing "free speech zones", it's just extending it further.

Plus, students consent to abide by university regulations as part of their becoming a student, and those regs can provide additional restrictions without violating students' rights. He couldn't be ARRESTED for this stuff, but administrative repercussions, absolutely, if it's clearly detailed in the university regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    What? I mean seriously, what? This is so blatantly false. The article mentions they go back to the Vietnam era.
    Oh shit, yeah. Thanks for the reminder, you're correct. Totally blanked on that and didn't catch the article referencing it when I skimmed it.

I should say they made a comeback with Bush Jr., (unless I'm forgetting something else...in which case please correct me!) but were a holdover from the 'Nam days*

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    I know you probably think the 300 idiots on your campus staging a sit in made a difference, but you should look up Kent state and those protests. Free speech zones were created solely because of behavior commonly used by modern groups like BLM and ANTIFA, where the goal isn't so much about discourse as it is making everyone else's life miserable.
    Erm, I don't think that 300 idiots on a campus (I'm not in college anymore, yo) doing a sit in usually won't do shit.

Though I really have no clue why you bring BLM and ANTIFA up with regards to this because again, they were revived in the US long before BLM existed and their revival didn't have squat to do with ANTIFA.

I was very explicit in my answer. But I can see how you failed to understand it since you have no understanding of how our constitution works.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alexkeren View Post
    I was very explicit in my answer. But I can see how you failed to understand it since you have no understanding of how our constitution works.
    I asked if students should be allowed to filibuster a class.

You said yes.

Do you know what a filibuster is?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggle View Post
    designated free speach zone? lol what
    You know, like KGB/FSB/STASI/SJW interrogation room where you are allowed to speak freely... for a while.