Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Once again it is Blizzard's intellectual property and they and only they get to decide how it is used.
    And if they don't protect it, they'll open themselves up to others being allowed to use it commercially too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite obvious due to legal terms aka cash aka mothaphukkin' money.
    I can imagine how the original developers feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichifails View Post
    You do realize that this addon would most likely fuck with Blizzard's hold over the IP rights?
    Fucking bullshit.

every addon that comes with any kind of graphical element is placed above anything blizzard has created in this game in the first place. this in itself hurts the ip from a property holders perpective. though user generated content was and still is very much wanted by blizzard. letting users do something for other users is a simple business 101 to bound people to stuff and make them feel "free" to do whatever they want. its not a legal issue, its a issue of liking or not liking, tolerating or not tolerating and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Mod that is enhances the level experience by having quests with voice actors instead of having to read a boring quest journal.
    I can see the appeal of that to some people, but to me that sounds horrendous. I can read the quest journal faster than I can listen to someone and take it in. Not to mention no matter what I'm doing I play wow on mute.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I can see the appeal of that to some people, but to me that sounds horrendous. I can read the quest journal faster than I can listen to someone and take it in. Not to mention no matter what I'm doing I play wow on mute.
    The projet was made not to be boring, but dynamic, and by the little he hinted us, it didn't seem boring at all. You wouldn't have stood in front of talking NPC, but they would ahve talked to you while you were killing mobs or doing objectives, just like NPC talks to the player in world quests

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    You cannot put in your bullshit story in someone else's book or movie. Why should be a game any different?
    Pretty much how I feel. What right did he have to redesign such a core part of WoW without the consent of the people who created it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Once again it is Blizzard's intellectual property and they and only they get to decide how it is used.
    This. Why some people have such a hard time grasping that, I'll never know.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I took a look at what he was planning, it's pretty good in overall conception and frankly Blizzard should've moved in this direction many expansions ago. I've read every line of quest text in this game and even I think that most of the time it's a poor storytelling and game mechanic. Making questing dynamic and driving the story from within the mission is definitely a smarter way to do it and WoW would benefit a lot from making that the standard - not just a style only used in the occasional large scale scenario like Broken Shore.

So bit of a shame but I'm not really surprised about Blizzard putting the kibosh on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorti View Post
    The projet was made not to be boring, but dynamic, and by the little he hinted us, it didn't seem boring at all. You wouldn't have stood in front of talking NPC, but they would ahve talked to you while you were killing mobs or doing objectives, just like NPC talks to the player in world quests
    Oh that's a little bit better. But still doesn't appeal to me as I say, I play in mute or on rare occasion just have the background music

Quote Originally Posted by The Amazing Nihilist View Post
    Fuck Blizzard. Pieces of shit.
    From that very video you're quoting:

"Please do not get angry at the team over at Blizzard. From what I hear, the actual devs actually really liked the project, so they're not 'the enemy'. There's really not anyone to get angry at with this. If you'd like to voice your support for the project, then you're welcome to, but, it's just important that no one over at Blizzard gets any trouble or any bother from this." -Bellular

I love his passion and hard work, but as a game developer himself I can't understand why he didn't check with Blizz first before doing all that work. Hopefully they will just hire him eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    You cannot put in your bullshit story in someone else's book or movie. Why should be a game any different?
    Of course you can. Print a page however you want, rip one form the book and insert yours. Done. You can also offer said page for everyone who wants to do the same with their book.

Or go into any basic movie editing and remove/edit/add whatever you want.

As long as you're not reselling it as a new/different product, pretty sure it's legal in almost all cases (thought it might be agaisnt the private terms of service of the original source).

It's part of the concept of modding as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Flytanx View Post
    It's like buying a Subway sandwich and then reselling it in the store after adding pickles to it.
    The correct Subway analogy would be:

"It's like standing in front of a subway and offering free pickles to which ever customer who wants to add them to their sandwich."

They wanted to change the WoW experience, but they weren't re-selling it. You would still be playing WoW on the official client and servers, it was an add-on, not a "modified version of WoW"
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2017-03-30 at 11:18 AM.

The moment he wanted to get paid for it, (even on patreon) it was shit.

The idea was stupid also since it didnt add much to the lore, aside from just fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Pretty much how I feel. What right did he have to redesign such a core part of WoW without the consent of the people who created it?
    I could say the same pretty much about every add-on ever, especially the ones like Deadly Boss Mods or Auctioneer and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Mod that is enhances the level experience by having quests with voice actors instead of having to read a boring quest journal.
    I didnt even know this existed but it sounds amazing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    I could say the same pretty much about every add-on ever, especially the ones like Deadly Boss Mods or Auctioneer and the likes.
    The moment you start asking for donations you start breaching the ToA (If not earlier).
    They basically took what blizzard wrote and put it in a talking bubble (+added voices)... while asking money for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    The moment you start asking for donations you start breaching the ToA (If not earlier).
    No. /10char

He should do what George Lucas did.

In the 1970s, George Lucas was a HUGE fan of Flash Gordon, a very popular science fiction serial. Lucas wanted to update the Flash Gordon production and bring it into the future with a massive big-budget motion picture series.

The people who owned the rights to Flash Gordon simply said: nope.

So, George Lucas created his own fantasy universe called Star Wars and made 3 films about that instead.

The Flash Gordon intellectual property faded away into obscurity as the people who owned the right to it were more interested in protecting their rights than promoting their IP.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    No. /10char
    Dunno about Thailand, but overhere in Europe it is not legal to recite/play copyrighted content and ask money for it without being expresively allowed to...

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    He should do what George Lucas did.

In the 1970s, George Lucas was a HUGE fan of Flash Gordon, a very popular science fiction serial. Lucas wanted to update the Flash Gordon production and bring it into the future with a massive big-budget motion picture series.

The people who owned the rights to Flash Gordon simply said: nope.

So, George Lucas created his own fantasy universe called Star Wars and made 3 films about that instead.

The Flash Gordon intellectual property faded away into obscurity as the people who owned the right to it were more interested in protecting their rights than promoting their IP.
    Are you in any way implying noone else tried that before?

Deleted
    The only suprise about this is that you guys are suprised.