Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Final Fantasy XIV Free Trial No Longer Time-Restricted

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...a85153eec45bbc

We are pleased to announce that the 14-day limitation on the Free Trial has been removed and the adventure can continue for as long as you want!

Additionally, users who participated in the Free Trial but never upgraded to the full game will be able to continue where they left off with their account.
    * Please note that we will be removing the limitations on existing Free Trial accounts sequentially after the maintenance has completed. If you are unable to log in right away, we ask that you wait a bit and try again at a later time.

Learn more about the FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial.
    (http://sqex.to/EIU)

Be sure to take advantage of the Recruit a Friend Campaign when inviting your friends so that both of you can receive rewards. Now is the perfect time to invite friends to join you in Eorzea!
    Peruse details on the Recruit a Friend Campaign.
    (http://sqex.to/URt)
    Last edited by BigAssBoy; 2017-03-28 at 03:29 PM.

Cool. Might be able to persuade a few friends now since they were never fond of limited time trials.

What does this mean? What restrictions are there? I'm sure there's a level cap or something?

Their "Learn more about the free trial here" link shows... nothing. Not a single thing. Just a "sign up now" button and a commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    What does this mean? What restrictions are there? I'm sure there's a level cap or something?

Their "Learn more about the free trial here" link shows... nothing. Not a single thing. Just a "sign up now" button and a commercial.
    Level cap is 35 so it allows you to see the early stages of a Job. And start the better part of the MSQ imo.

But yeah the links should have more information on.

I've tried this game, but it hard for me to get into after having played WoW for like 8 or 9 years. Any tips on making it more of a smooth playthrough? Or any tips in general for a new player?

Deleted
    I may actually consider picking up the game if they do this

Quote Originally Posted by Tangman View Post
    I may actually consider picking up the game if they do this
    They already have. The restriction was removed today.

Quote Originally Posted by lolstorm View Post
    I've tried this game, but it hard for me to get into after having played WoW for like 8 or 9 years. Any tips on making it more of a smooth playthrough? Or any tips in general for a new player?
    there is nothing we can do to help you transition.

i started ffxiv cause wod was so bad i rather suffer through ffxiv than play wod, i've grown accustomed to it but unless you really want to play ffxiv, you'll stop after a while.

You need to prepare yourself for:

1) Less intuitive interface, almost every NPC has a dialogue, you can't do certain actions when opening the AH or sitting down, lots and lots of Yes/No pop ups as well as loading screens.

2) 2.5secs GCD, at higher levels you have lots to do between each GCD, it makes gameplay a little more dynamic, just a little. But at lower levels its a snooze fest.

3) The lag, oh the lag... if you cast an instant spell, wait 0.5-1 second before it "registers".

It's doesn't have the "flow" of WoW in terms of user interaction, there are a lot of dialogues/pop ups and gameplay is slightly slower. Story is important so don't skip it even if the shakespeare-ian style of talking is annoying. There are long cutscenes as well, there's cutscenes for everything basically.

As for professions, LOL that's a whole new game in itself. Gathering professions are not like WoW where you right click and collect, in ffxiv, you click, the mining animation plays, then you get a popup, then you mine that. It's terrible imo.

TLDR; FFXIV is not as "fluid" in game play as WoW, a ton of popups and dialogue you need to click on. And the grind + RNG, especially for professions, if you thought WoW was bad, FFXIV would like a word with you.

The one thing FFXIV trumps over WoW is the community, it's unbelievably nice. If you're a new player, ask for help in the major cities, i guarantee someone will come along, guide you for a bit, maybe someone will give you gold and some starter gear.
    Last edited by Ferrair; 2017-03-28 at 05:14 PM.

Good, always wanted to try this game but hate time trials

Quote Originally Posted by lolstorm View Post
    You just need to stomach the first 40 or so levels. Once you get into the later stages of your job things pick up both story wise and gameplay wise. You get more off GCD abiltiies that you put in between your key presses that speed up the combat a good bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a really good promotion. You can see a lot of the world by level 35. I miss playing FFXIV and might check it out again to see what's changed. I haven't played since about a year after the relaunch, so I'm sure there's a lot I missed.

Deleted
    Isnt the patron or wghatever the highlvls helping lowlvls chat called, full of egotistic dicks that shit talk each others guilds? Thats what it was when I played, cna hardly call that helping new people

Also 35, that's like Coerthas? isnt it

Quote Originally Posted by Tangman View Post
    Isnt the patron or wghatever the highlvls helping lowlvls chat called, full of egotistic dicks that shit talk each others guilds? Thats what it was when I played, cna hardly call that helping new people
    Can't say I've noticed it. Mentor chat is used as both a sort of Linkshell and for helping new players.

Deleted
    Are you on uh.. Cerberus? Theres a few certain people there that are...well, lets call it not helpful to new players.

I have an alt on there. I have noticed a few toxic mentors and we usually boot or report them. However toxicity exists in any MMO. Luckily this game has it in the minority.

Phoenix has a really nice Mentor chat imo. It's both really social and helpful. I think that's what Mentor chat should be like imo. Not just helping new players but being social with them. Like I said above a Linkshell basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    As for professions, LOL that's a whole new game in itself. Gathering professions are not like WoW where you right click and collect, in ffxiv, you click, the mining animation plays, then you get a popup, then you mine that. It's terrible imo.
    Worth noting that the reason it has a window pop up is because you typically have several items you can choose from at each node (some of which need special rotations of gathering skills, gathering gear, and even time of day in-game to obtain) rather than a node giving only a specific type of material. No iron nodes and copper nodes and etc., just mining nodes of a certain level and occasionally with a name like "Unspoiled" or "Legendary."

It's not a case of nested pop ups for no reason, at least in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrair View Post
    there is nothing we can do to help you transition.

i started ffxiv cause wod was so bad i rather suffer through ffxiv than play wod, i've grown accustomed to it but unless you really want to play ffxiv, you'll stop after a while.

You need to prepare yourself for:

1) Less intuitive interface, almost every NPC has a dialogue, you can't do certain actions when opening the AH or sitting down, lots and lots of Yes/No pop ups as well as loading screens.

2) 2.5secs GCD, at higher levels you have lots to do between each GCD, it makes gameplay a little more dynamic, just a little. But at lower levels its a snooze fest.

3) The lag, oh the lag... if you cast an instant spell, wait 0.5-1 second before it "registers".

It's doesn't have the "flow" of WoW in terms of user interaction, there are a lot of dialogues/pop ups and gameplay is slightly slower. Story is important so don't skip it even if the shakespeare-ian style of talking is annoying. There are long cutscenes as well, there's cutscenes for everything basically.

TLDR; FFXIV is not as "fluid" in game play as WoW, a ton of popups and dialogue you need to click on. And the grind + RNG, especially for professions, if you thought WoW was bad, FFXIV would like a word with you.

The one thing FFXIV trumps over WoW is the community, it's unbelievably nice. If you're a new player, ask for help in the major cities, i guarantee someone will come along, guide you for a bit, maybe someone will give you gold and some starter gear.
    Because nodes don't just contain one or two items and it lets you choose what to gather. I don't see an issue with that. What's wrong with a node allowing the player to choose what they want to gather instead of giving them some ore and maybe a crystal?

Also sorry but no. Legions RNG is extremely worse than FF14s. At least the RNG in FF14 isn't in main content other than loot drops. You clearly haven't grown accustomed to it if you think the RNG is worse. FF14 doesn't have rubbish like Legiondaries, Titanforging, Warforging and other stuff.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-28 at 05:47 PM.

I didn't say there's anything wrong with it, i'm just telling it like it is.

The RNG in FFXIV isnt bad, i specifically meant the grind. But with 7.2, Legion won that as well.

The only real grind that FFXIV has is optional glamour crap... including the relic weapon. Capping your weekly tomes? Oh big whoop. It takes five expert dungeons a week to cap if you JUST do that and that's what 2 hours of your time a week...? Such a grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    The only real grind that FFXIV has is optional glamour crap... including the relic weapon. Capping your weekly tomes? Oh big whoop. It takes five expert dungeons a week to cap if you JUST do that and that's what 2 hours of your time a week...? Such a grind.
    A lot depends on how you define "grind". For me personally, requiring me to participate in trivial content (dungeons) that offers no engagement or reward feels grindy; even if its a low-impact grind. You're more than welcome to refute my definition of it with your own, etc. It is possible that nowadays the tome spread is much more robust allowing you to utilize other forms of content to cap in a meaningful amount of time/effort (or are daily dungeons still the best by far?). I haven't played in a bit so my experience here is a tad dated.

It's pretty safe to say the relic grind is certifiably grindy. We agree on that lol.