Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    the austrian emporer heir franz ferdinand (the guy who`s assasination startet World War I) had written book over a United States of Great-Austria, where every nation has a own state with own government for interiours, but they stay united under one government for War, finance and infrastructure. (half the balkan, most of central and Easter Europe, Nothern Italy). Basically the Idea was to reform the Austrian Empire into a commonwealth of nations, with the United States as a role model. But the guy was murdered by some slavic nationalist guy, and after the war the empire broke loose. But in its idea it would have been pretty similar to what the EU is now, minus france and spain (and GB if u count them).
    Yeah, i do wonder how the world would´ve looked if he wasn´t assassinated, it also was pretty much against what his father the emperor had in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    You sure about that? The population of Spain is ~47 million.
    Hmmm it'd be close, there were 41mil Spanish speakers in the US in 2015, mind you that's Spanish as their main or first language. Most probably speak English to some degree as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    I'm an American, but I've spent a considerable amount of time in the EU. How does language and regional cuisine differences negate the common beliefs in democracy and 'western values'? Texas is quite different than California, but I'd hardly say their cultural differences are so vast they don't have a very similar mindset at the end of the day. San Francisco is no more representative of California than Paris is France.

The different amount of languages hasn't stopped the EU from having a single currency, government or trade. It would certainly hinder a European military, but a push for a common language (which pretty much already exists with English) could resolve that in a 10-15 year span.
    Uhhh...you ever been in Sweden, Portugal, Greece, Latvia and Romania? Quite the differences, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    And the Scottish, who pretend they have a language called Scots, but it is just badly spelt English.

Plus the Welsh, of course, who have yet to discover vowels.
    That's not the Scottish language, the original Scottish language is Gaelic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    That's not the Scottish language, the original Scottish language is Gaelic.
    I did not say it was the original language, I said it was Scots.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    I wouldn't be too shocked if the people of the US spoke as many, if not more, languages than the people of Europe. We speak 350 different languages in the US. Only about 30 are used regularly though. Some are unique to America.
    Each of our states has it's own individual government.
    Is Ebonics and Spanglish part of that 350?

Europe would have one military
    Europe already has 1 military....The United States military.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forcing different cultures together is not a good idea. They can't work together towards common goals because they don't have goals in common.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

What if the world was united under one flag?

As a kid, I always thought, and was basically given the impression, that things would slowly continue to evolve in that direction.

However, it's pretty much been stagnant at best. Things haven't been growing closer.

The spread of English as a common tongue is halting, with more dubbing taking place.
    The Euro has not been a huge success.
    I know a lot more about American culture than I do EU countries. Heck, I can probably name a higher percentage of the states than I can countries in the EU.
    There's been central army that gets shit done, that people are invested in much.
    There is no European nationalism, nor any real effort to build it.
    There is no European president.

If a united Europe is to rise, we need to do more shit together. We need a bit army. More focus on each other. And we need a European President.
    Presidential elections will put a lot of focus on what's going on in other countries. And get us feeling more like Europeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Fucking LOL the ignorance in this post is hilarious.

Yes, a continent that has had over 1000 years of cultural development, 1000 years of war, 1000 years of division is clearly "homogeneous".

Americans share the same media, same currency, same language, same political parties, same government, but Europe is some how "homogeneous".
    The thing is, the rest of the world is pretty diverse too and in most cases far more so than Europe is. However, most of these areas are trying to achieve the same regional integration and cooperation that Europe enjoys now, despite considerable pushback from tribal leaders, traditionalists, and anyone else with a vested interest in maintaining the current and chaotic status quo. Meanwhile Europeans are frantically coming up with as many reasons as they can think of why they are totally different from their neighbors. To think of Europe as this land of a thousand snowflakes, each more special than the last, while the rest of the world is just a big blob of darkies and savages that nobody gives a shit about is an attitude we should have left behind ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by omfgreally View Post
    America only had 3 types of people, Natives, Mexicans and Ex-Europeans. There was only one thing the majority of the population had in common an idea. Sure it wasn't perfect but up until the 1950's look at all we have accomplished.

Europeans that stayed behind are the same as they were before. Stubborn as hell, learn to speak one damn language!
    Black people don't exist to you?
    Last edited by Macaquerie; 2017-03-30 at 09:37 PM.

Not possible, in Europe there are at least 4 major groups of people with different mentalities, believes and social structures,
    I dont see their existence under 1 EU super state, America in 17xx was a different thing due to many factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbleduck View Post
    What if the world was united under one flag?
    That is a "what if" for another thread.

7+ Year Old Account
    The US is the perfect blueprint on how to build a USE because the US was a United States of people of European descent and culture.
    I would say the US is the perfect blue print on how to not do things.

Quote Originally Posted by Karamaru View Post
    I would say the US is the perfect blue print on how to not do things.
    Everyone is entitled their opinion.

That is a "what if" for another thread.
    Not really, EU is almost as culturally diverse as it gets. This is one of those things that are nice in theory, but is too much progressive for their time to have a positive effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Berlin.

German.
    I don't know, about 70 and 100 years ago people fought pretty hard to stop that.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    I don't know, about 70 and 100 years ago people fought pretty hard to stop that.
    Somebody finally said it!!

America is quite literally a melting pot of all European cultures. Outside of the few million illegal hispanics who don't speak English and the several hundred thousand refugees who speak their native tongue, we're a nation founded and built by Europeans who speak English. Short of our penchant for free speech, the free market and guns, there's no cultural difference between NYC and London, Berlin, Rome, Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam, Warsaw, Moscow or Vienna. People run a gambit of opinions and not everyone agrees, but we work for the benefit of a modern, comfortable society just as the EU does now. The only significant difference is the style of architecture and how you serve beef, pork or chicken.

The idea that France is so different from Romania or Italy that they could never have a unified federal government is laughable. The US is the perfect blueprint on how to build a USE because the US was a United States of people of European descent and culture.
    You clearly have 0 clue about the early 100-150 years of american colonization if you think that there are the same amount of differences between western european protestant migrants in America that spoke 1 language and were rapidly assimilated in anglocultural sphere and todays European situation with dozens of languages, mentalities, religions and ethno-political issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    You'd be surprised how different the cultures are within the US from one state to the next. There are even certain areas where Spanish is spoken more often than English. Of course most people there know English as well. Even with just our one language we have vastly different accents in various areas.
    Hell, we have many different names just for a generic can a carbonated drink. Linguists studied it.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name..._United_States

I personally call it "soda water".

An insight to some of our accents and dialects differences.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4HLYe31MBrg