Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    MMO's are complicated, man. I'll default to my normal example of this.

There was a patch in WoW during BC, it was a minor patch IIRC and didn't really add/change a ton in the game. But all of a sudden, despite not being touched by the patch, Illidan started one shotting tanks. Everyone was confused, because as stated, he and I believe Black Temple as a whole were untouched by the patch. Blizzard eventually tracked down the issue, and it was a minor change they'd made to something in Hellfire Peninsula that was the root of the problem.

I'm not writing this to excuse issues like this, but simply to say that sometimes, shit like this just happens.
    Then you have to double down on the fact that the people who designed the engine/coded the game are probably long gone- because game studios have the highest turnover in tech. So you have people that were hired years afterwards going through millions of lines of code and implementing change, miss a ';' or break a tag in that process and you can break entire game systems.

Legacy code problems exist in just about any senior MMO still on the market, RIFT included.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I would have to agree with @Eleccybubb here. If it doesn't require any degree of skill to obtain, its welfare.
    Difference of opinion I guess. I mean, you could say that even top tier raid gear does not require skill to obtain as you can pay to get carried and get it. That does not take skill. Heck, as a guild/raid leader I have given away BiS gear to players that had no skill and really no right to even be in the raid. If you are a person short and know you can clear it anyway, why not bring along a friend of someone or whatever? If gear drops that no one else wants/needs, why not let them have it? I know of other guilds that had some of their top members wives that had no skill that had full BiS gear, just because they get carried through raids by their husbands group all the time.

It's not the skill involved IMO, it's the effort. A grind takes an effort, that many are unwilling or unable to do. If it takes more effort than going to your mailbox to pick it up or talking to a few random people or even a really simple quest chain, then it can not really be considered welfare. My opinion of course, so we can agree to disagree here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Difference of opinion I guess. I mean, you could say that even top tier raid gear does not require skill to obtain as you can pay to get carried and get it. That does not take skill. It's not the skill involved IMO, it's the effort. A grind takes an effort, that many are unwilling or unable to do. If it takes more effort than going to your mailbox to pick it up or talking to a few random people or even a really simple quest chain, then it can not really be considered welfare. My opinion of course, so we can agree to disagree here.
    I agree with you. But to be honest the grind is just a grind. There is no real challenge on it. 1k Invasions? That's just fucking gross. And this is coming from someone who played the early days of MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I agree with you. But to be honest the grind is just a grind. There is no real challenge on it. 1k Invasions? That's just fucking gross. And this is coming from someone who played the early days of MMOs.
    You agree with me and he agrees with you, I guess he agrees with me after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fact is that we all know the only reason for the massive grind is they are months down the line, September~December for 4.2 and probably only going to get your first progressive raid in about July/August or so.

1000 invasions. That's just insane. Stark, raving, batsh*t insane.

For what rewards? Planar fragments, Planarite. useless, boring, mind-numbingly dumb.

~ Note that Trion's "Community Ambassador" is always dead quiet while the game is in a crap state as it is now. He'll go full marketing mode after the 2nd or 3rd round of patches to fix the bugs and then to fix those bugs in the patches to fix the bugs.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2017-03-30 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You agree with me and he agrees with you, I guess he agrees with me after all.
    Me and Jaylock kind of get along for some reason. No idea why tbh

I agree with you it's not welfare of course it's not. But it ain't exactly fun to do. Remind me again tho. Zone Colossi are things like Volan right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Fact is that we all know the only reason for the massive grind is they are months down the line, September~December for 4.2 and probably only going to get your first progressive raid in about July/August or so.

1000 invasions. That's just insane. Stark, raving, batsh*t insane.

For what rewards? Planar fragments, Planarite. useless, boring, mind-numbingly dumb.

~ Note that Trion's "Community Ambassador" is always dead quiet while the game is in a crap state as it is now. He'll go full marketing mode after the 2nd or 3rd round of patches to fix the bugs and then to fix those bugs in the patches to fix the bugs.
    Don't worry he will be back in a few days to say he is having a "blast" with a patch that contains 2 pieces of content.

Me and Jaylock kind of get along for some reason. No idea why tbh

I agree with you it's not welfare of course it's not. But it ain't exactly fun to do. Remind me again tho. Zone Colossi are things like Volan right?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry he will be back in a few days to say he is having a "blast" with a patch that contains 2 pieces of content.
    With a picture of like, 20 people around him to show how alive the game is.

I considered reinstalling RIFT

Nah.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    I considered reinstalling RIFT

Nah.
    I did the other week. Still enjoy running older dungeons, just wish they'd pop more often. And frustrated that my rogue, who now passes the requirements for NT experts, is still unable to queue for NT experts because...uh...I haven't figured that one out yet : (

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I did the other week. Still enjoy running older dungeons, just wish they'd pop more often. And frustrated that my rogue, who now passes the requirements for NT experts, is still unable to queue for NT experts because...uh...I haven't figured that one out yet : (
    besides hit you need certain stat requirements

When it can be obtained by anyone that is the meaning of welfare. No matter how easy or hard it is to obtain. Also is Intrepid actually a requirement? Because if so that's retarded considering the raid isn't out yet. 100 Experts isn't exactly hard since the dungeons are easy, LFR 16 times will be easy if Hexathel is anything to go by. In fact all of that content you just listed is piss easy. It's a grind not a challenge. Major difference.

I can name other games that do a similar system but that's unrelated.

None of what you listed is challenging and one requirement listed isn't even being launched yet so we don't even know if it has any difficulty to it.

Just because there is a large quantity required to get the Eternal Weapons does not make it a challenge. It makes it a boring grind.
    "You must work to obtain something"

"That is the meaning of welfare"

Ok there buddy...

Quote Originally Posted by shimcham View Post
    besides hit you need certain stat requirements
    I'm well aware. I'm around 50ish hit over the requirement, and well over 100 dex over the requirement as well.

Hence my confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    "You must work to obtain something"

"That is the meaning of welfare"

Ok there buddy...
    Read what I posted later. I admitted I was wrong out of frustration. You are free to quote it but please know that I did admit to being wrong out of frustration. I even agreed with the person who initially quoted me that it was out of annoyance. I should never EVER let frustration get the better of me in a forum. I admit I dislike Rift but I shouldn't let frustration cloud me.

The item is not welfare. I will happily say it again. But it is a piece of crap grind that is in no way fun. 1,000 invasions to get it is just a joke and will cause severe burnout. This is coming from someone who played through the early MMOs which were about grinding. I should never have made my initial statement and I will agree with you as I agreed with Lathais earlier on.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-31 at 12:43 AM.

Read what I posted later. I admitted I was wrong out of frustration. You are free to quote it but please know that I did admit to being wrong out of frustration. I even agreed with the person who initially quoted me that it was out of annoyance. I should never EVER let frustration get the better of me in a forum. I admit I dislike Rift but I shouldn't let frustration cloud me.

The item is not welfare. I will happily say it again. But it is a piece of crap grind that is in no way fun. 1,000 invasions to get it is just a joke and will cause severe burnout. This is coming from someone who played through the early MMOs which were about grinding. I should never have made my initial statement and I will agree with you as I agreed with Lathais earlier on.
    I'll gladfully admit that I didn't read the entire thread, was coasting around the forums during my lunch break. My apologies!

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    I'll gladfully admit that I didn't read the entire thread, was coasting around the forums during my lunch break. My apologies!
    Not at all. My old man used to tell me "A wise man is smarter to admit his stupidity and mistakes than stand by it blindly". And I did.

What is this shit, polite discussion between people, in a civilized manner, because of a minor misunderstanding?

I WILL NOT HAVE THAT IN THIS FORUM!

Edit:

Apparently the sixth Ascended Carnival is going on right now...unfortunately one of (the?) quests still references the five-year anniversary of the Carnival. And the first few quests are still giving out NT currencies.

Currently updating now to check for myself.

Yeah, the very first guy I talked to (Kwip in TB) is referencing 5 years as well. Rewards are NT rewards, but I don't have SFP so I can't tell if that's because the rewards were not update like others have said or if it's because I'm simply not flagged for SFP rewards.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2017-03-31 at 03:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at the hype with VR goggles - it lasted for what, about 3 weeks and then was broken?
    You should try educating yourself with facts, Oculus Rift dropped support for DirectX 9 and guess what Gamebryo runs on?

As for people crying about the Eternal weapons chain stages? they really need to add mechanics in the game where Invaders from other planes use Rift tears to open Rifts and spawn invasions, heck they could even name the game Rift....

Seriously? crying about a key gameplay of a game called Rift where you close Rifts and stop invaders?

I'm not even trying that hard and am 1/3 ways through the invasions already, pro tip, go to the Onslaughts arena in Ashenfell, there's always full raid groups running that, heck you can even go to the Onslaught area in Scatherran Forest or Gedlo Badlandsand do it solo at your own pace or jump into any zone event, mentor down and kill invaders, even zone events in Silverwood and Freemarch have swarms of invaders that pour from the Rifts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    You should try educating yourself with facts, Oculus Rift dropped support for DirectX 9 and guess what Gamebryo runs on?
    Didn't realize RIFT's game engine was still running on an API almost 15 years old. Most other MMO's have upgraded their engine.

One of their other great design choices.

Amongst all the new bugs and issues, I (almost) forgot the old ones. The shoddy game performance, flickering assets, etc.

Then again, judging by the random, unexplained bugs and crashes (for example when things crash when a certain class uses an ability in a dungeon), they only just got 64 bit working (sort of) - and then there is their quasi-multicore.

I guess the RIFT team just don't have the resources or the knowledge - as is evident without them even being able to release a simple polished patch - even after taking a full month of extra time they delayed.

Maybe patch 4.1.x will fix things.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2017-03-31 at 06:22 AM.

As for people crying about the Eternal weapons chain stages? they really need to add mechanics in the game where Invaders from other planes use Rift tears to open Rifts and spawn invasions, heck they could even name the game Rift....

Seriously? crying about a key gameplay of a game called Rift where you close Rifts and stop invaders?

I'm not even trying that hard and am 1/3 ways through the invasions already, pro tip, go to the Onslaughts arena in Ashenfell, there's always full raid groups running that, heck you can even go to the Onslaught area in Scatherran Forest or Gedlo Badlandsand do it solo at your own pace or jump into any zone event, mentor down and kill invaders, even zone events in Silverwood and Freemarch have swarms of invaders that pour from the Rifts.
    Yeah I'm sure you aren't. But god forbid people think 1k invasions is overkill. Nobody was "crying" over the gameplay aspect of it either. Nice job making something up out of thin air there as you usually do when someone criticizes your precious game. Seriously stop with this already. You are a "community ambassador" yet all you do is shit on people who critique the game or any aspects of it? Sounds like a CM I know on the Rift forums. But sure keep posting your snarky responses to any critique. For a game that needs new players you really paint an awful picture of it.

Nobody was saying invasions are bad. People are saying doing 1k would cause some serious burnout issues no matter how quick they are and you damn well know it would. The grind is awful and in no way fun for what it is and I've played games where I've had fun grinds for my rewards. Also by your logic every game should be what the title is yes? Because if so then Final Fantasy has been lying to me for 15 games straight.

Also as Wocky pointed out. Rift still running on a DX9 API is kind of stupid. Especially when it's had time to upgrade. And if I recall Gamebryo supports DX11 and will be supporting DX12.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-31 at 07:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't realize RIFT's game engine was still running on an API almost 15 years old. Most other MMO's have upgraded their engine.
    Let me further your education a bit more, Gamebryo was sold lock, stock and barrel to a Korean Company years ago who sat on it and did nothing, just around the time Gamebryo was about to release version 4.0.

I'm surprised Trion even managed to build in 64-bit and multicore for an engine which wasn't designed at that time to even support it, fast forward a few years and you can read this interview about what that Korean Company plans to do with Gamebryo, DirectX 12 support, 64-bit (shocker), sounds like a sales pitch, this was Nov 2014 and nothing since.

http://gamingbolt.com/gamebryo-inter...-and-stability

As for you Eleccybubb? nice try in blaming me for you whining about a "grind", just for you i spent the past hour in a raid in Ashenfell to advance my "burnout", thanks for your motivational post, it helped me with the "grind"

Let me further your education a bit more, Gamebryo was sold lock stock and barrel to a Korean Company years ago who sat on it and did nothing, just around the time Gamebryo was about to release version 4.0.

I'm surprised Trion even managed to build in 64-bit and multicore for an engine which wasn't designed at that time to even support it, fast forward a few years and you can read this interview about what that Korean Company plans to do with Gamebryo, DirectX 12 support, 64-bit (shocker0, sounds like a sales pitch, this was Nov 2014 and nothing since.

http://gamingbolt.com/gamebryo-inter...-and-stability

As for you Eleccybubb? nice try in blaming me for you whining about a "grind", just for you i spent the past hour in a raid in Ashenfell to advance my "burnout", thanks for your motivational post, it helped me with the "grind"

Uhm Directx12 is kind of going to be the future hence why a lot of engines are going to support it or are doing. A lot of games will start supporting it within the next few years as they did with 11. Also they should have had 11 support in from the start or at least during Storm Legion.

And again thanks for proving my point. You said people were whining about something they weren't. You literally posted they were "crying". How am I blaming you for what you said? Also 1k invasions is a grind. Grow up. If you have to do a large amount of content consistently that many times it is the exact definition of a grind no matter how fast or slow the content is. Again thanks for proving what I said. You shun off any critique and shine Rift in a bad light. You and the diehard fans are the reason patches come out a mess. People try and report it and you either sweep it under the rug or Brasse closes threads.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-03-31 at 07:31 AM.