Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitro View Post
    And I am 100% youve got an example prepared based on your confidence.
    Either you are intentionally being ignorant, or you have your head shoved so far up your ass that you haven't been paying attention. He has literally tried to kill political opponents and journalists.

infracted - minor flaming
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-03-31 at 12:01 AM.

I do agree there should be a change with libel, a way to combat fake news, cases of extreme cyber bullying that aren't being handled, etc.

As our technology evolves so much the law to keep up with it.

First amendment allows you to say anything,
    other laws restrict media outlets from saying anything that can be proven to be a misinformation.

When will people finally understand.
    Can you cite these laws you are talking about?

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    And when he loses, he can pay their legal bills, and they will mock him even more. Why does Trump hate freedom so much?

- - - Updated - - -

You mean like Trump hasn't been doing for years?

I'm still waiting on that proof of Obama's birth certificate he said he saw five years ago.
    You mean Trump as a private citizen should be held to the same standard as news media organizations and if that private citizen says something without backing it up with decent evidence therefore the media should be able to as well? You do realise how silly your rebuttal was, right?

The birth cert that Malik Obama uploaded from a few years ago looks more believable than the certificate which was a PDF layered file with artifacts the white house put on their website.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    You mean Trump as a private citizen should be held to the same standard as news media organizations and if that private citizen says something without backing it up with decent evidence therefore the media should be able to as well? You do realise how silly your rebuttal was, right?

The birth cert that Malik Obama uploaded from a few years ago looks more believable than the certificate which was a PDF layered file with artifacts the white house put on their website.
    The first Birth Certificate that was released is the one I believe. It's the one the United States Government believes, as does the state of Hawaii. It also happens to be exactly the same as the birth certificates for two of my children, both born in Hawaii.

Yes, laws are applied equally, which means they are held to the same standard. Since Trump is a public figure, it is damn difficult to prove libel and defamation in court. If I held Trump to the same standard as news outlets, he would have to actually back up the bullshit he says. He is far closer to defamation and libel/slander than the news media is.

Now, if you want to show me a reputable source for verification on the birth certificate that Malik released, I welcome you to provide it. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-03-31 at 12:23 AM.

The idea that libel laws exist is not controversial. Its not really speech if you're spreading disinformation with the intent of harming someone, similar to yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater, saying "That guy has a gun" and watching the cops shoot him is not what we generally regard as protected speech.

On that note, what the standard should be for the crime of libel or slander is a bit of a debate. Currently, you have to actually prove "malice" or "gross negligence", meaning that either the entity acted in a way deliberately to harm someone, or didn't necessarily want to harm someone publishing the information, but knew it would and did nothing to verify its information.

The argument that Trump generally makes is that malice and gross negligence shouldn't be a requirement for prosecutions, and it should be instead some lesser standard. I personally tend to agree though I think myself and most posters would disagree with the standard he'd like to impose.

I think what Trump would do in his ideal is create an environment where the only defense from libel would be to identify "anonymous" sources or have no defense against libel charges.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, we arent getting into Obama Birth Certificate talk, as that is a conspiracy theory and not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    The idea that libel laws exist is not controversial. Its not really speech if you're spreading disinformation with the intent of harming someone, similar to yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater, saying "That guy has a gun" and watching the cops shoot him is not what we generally regard as protected speech.

On that note, what the standard should be for the crime of libel or slander is a bit of a debate. Currently, you have to actually prove "malice" or "gross negligence", meaning that either the entity acted in a way deliberately to harm someone, or didn't necessarily want to harm someone publishing the information, but knew it would and did nothing to verify its information.

The argument that Trump generally makes is that malice and gross negligence shouldn't be a requirement for prosecutions, and it should be instead some lesser standard. I personally tend to agree though I think myself and most posters would disagree with the standard he'd like to impose.

I think what Trump would do in his ideal is create an environment where the only defense from libel would be to identify "anonymous" sources or have no defense against libel charges.
    That would be a huge infringement on the First Amendment, something that would be political suicide for anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    The first Birth Certificate that was released is the one I believe. It's the one the United States Government believes, as does the state of Hawaii. It also happens to be exactly the same as the birth certificates for two of my children, both born in Hawaii.

Yes, laws are applied equally, which means they are held to the same standard. Since Trump is a public figure, it is damn difficult to prove libel and defamation in court. If I held Trump to the same standard as news outlets, he would have to actually back up the bullshit he says. He is far closer to defamation and libel/slander than the news media is.

Now, if you want to show me a reputable source for verification on the birth certificate that Malik released, I welcome you to provide it. Good luck to you.
    Your birth certificate is also a pdf file with layered images and artifacts??? How strange...

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-03-31 at 02:45 AM.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

10+ Year Old Account
    True, but there were a couple of instances of some media outlets misinforming the population or giving out unchecked info about trump or his associates ( like Buzzfeed a couple of times)
    Damn Trump suing Buzzfeed would be fucking epic
    You mean like fox news?
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    You mean like fox news?
    You see how the people that are for this give examples of news outlets they don't like. So basically it is sue the press that does not agree with my opinion defense. It pretty basic and simple minded of these people.

he should start with CNN or buzzfeed. both are great targets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please don't necro old threads.

(checks date of link)

Oh shit. Well, he's already put two of his family in major spots of power and is buying another DC hotel. I guess yet another move that makes him look like a dictator shouldn't be a surprise anymore.

A reminder: Trump can't E.O. libel laws. It's called checks and balances. This is hot air.

15+ Year Old Account
    You mean the media will have to back up their bullshit claims??? My god what insanity is this??????????
    Considering Breitbart, Infowars, and Fox News frequently lie and get blatantly caught doing so, Trump opening up libel laws to sue news agencies for telling lies... isn't going to go the way that the Trumpkins hope it will. Just saying, rofl.

The pathological liars who honestly believe they are telling the truth (Trump and crew) are going to have this blow up in their face.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Your birth certificate is also a pdf file with layered images and artifacts??? How strange...
    We were told to not discuss birth certificates in this thread.

No, that was the second one released. The original one that was released is the official certificate of live birth for the state of Hawaii.Sorry, try again.

The one tweeted by Malik Obama was debunked a long time ago.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama.../kenyacert.asp

According to Trump, you are guilty of libel, I love the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Translation: Poor little Trump is getting his ass handed to him, so let him suppress the press. When a Democrat President sues, you will cry foul.

This is funny watching people with one thought in their head, don't think about the consequences.
    Excuse me, excuse me! I know you guys are upset and all but you lost! The fundamental problem with Democrats is following the laws. President Trump is the law and order president.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    He said something about this during his campaign and no one believed that he was going to go through with trying to silence the press, but here we are, him suggesting it again. This isn't about him wanting to silence false information, that I could understand. He wants to silence NEGATIVE information about him and people he doesn't want criticized. Like his cabinet and Putin. This is how fascism continues, not starts, but continues.
    And the Obama administration started it. More was done against the media by the Obama administration than all previous administrations combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowlithic View Post
    Excuse me, excuse me! I know you guys are upset and all but you lost! The fundamental problem with Democrats is following the laws. President Trump is the law and order president.
    WTF does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    And the Obama administration started it. More was done against the media by the Obama administration than all previous administrations combined.
    Source? Obama allowed not much access to the media.