Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do I suck so bad at DPS ?

My Frost DK is now i887, but I'm still doing crappy DPS, like 375k on average, yeah I see big hits in 475k to 500k range every once in awhile. Even my Guild is asking me what's up, due to my gear I should be doing way higher damage.

Do I need to use an add on like Weak Auras 2 to make this work ?

I met another DK, he's i896 and doing 600k to 800k all the time, he said all he does is it the shiny flashing buttons LOL Just once they pop and glow hit those, and he said there's really no rotation, just HB + FS + OB + Syn when ready, saying there's no long winded rotation to worry about, just smash those buttons, according to him.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...thdingo/simple
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2017-03-31 at 12:03 PM.

Deleted
    Tell your friend to give me a call, we could use a DK that does that much damage all the time with that low ilvl.

Unless, of course, this is just hyperbole and you are comparing their burst / aoe dps in a raid to your dummy dps solo.
    Last edited by mmoce213c955fb; 2017-03-31 at 12:06 PM.

Deleted
    Your gear is bad. Tanking legendary. I mean. Bruh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanj View Post
    Your gear is bad. Tanking legendary. I mean. Bruh.

I was a Tank through February, then switched to Unholy for a couple weeks, now the last several weeks, going FROST all the way 100%.

Would I be better even ditching the high iLvl Tank and Unholy stuff, and replacing with Frost WQ gear at even i860 ?

Deleted
    for starters... no dps legendaries, not enough crit, too much haste

10+ Year Old Account
    not having any dps legendary (let alone the ones that work well with BoS) and not having a CoF or the hungering rune weapon talent are all probably causing your BoS to be way shorter than your dk friend's would be my guess.

Now, I would never actually advocate following this guide if you were an experienced raider trying to improve your gameplay as icy-veins isn't always up-to-date or completely reliable, but it's more than good enough for a beginner.

http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/frost-d...-pve-dps-guide

If you follow the talent, gearing and rotational tips on icy-veins, set yourself up with a proper boss mod (dbm or bigwigs), monitor cooldowns correctly (Weak Auras 2, TellMeWhen or similar) and don't get hit by or stand in shit you should be good enough for any item level until you step in to at least heroic raids. If the frost DK community has some general stat weights available you can plug them in to the addon Pawn to determine whether an item is an upgrade or downgrade. I'd normally recommend Simulationcraft for that purpouse but it might be a bit too ambitious for your goals.

Tank lege, especially in place of a trinket. No enchants. No runeforges.

Okay, but is a tanking legendary (which is still a 940 ilvl) in place of a DPS going to make the difference between 300k and 600k? I'm mainly a blood DK, and I've tried my hand at Frost a few times with almost exactly the same results. I've always just assumed I sucked at the rotation because I didn't give it enough time to get used to it, but maybe there's something else going on as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NickGlowsinDark View Post
    Okay, but is a tanking legendary (which is still a 940 ilvl) in place of a DPS going to make the difference between 300k and 600k? I'm mainly a blood DK, and I've tried my hand at Frost a few times with almost exactly the same results. I've always just assumed I sucked at the rotation because I didn't give it enough time to get used to it, but maybe there's something else going on as well.
    I can still Tank pretty well with this same gear, and hold aggro, but my Guild needs me to be DPS, as they already have two uber Druid Tanks all in 920 gear. Just curious why I am sucking so bad ? Must be the mix of Tank + UH + Frost gear ?

Deleted
    I'm running with a tank and a dps legendary atm, but due to it's nice amount of stats (tank legs), it doesn't really affect DPS that much. Same should be the case for your tank trinket. I think maybe what's wrong, is how you utilize your CD's and the fact that you are missing the most vital talent for Breath build which would be Hungering Rune Weapon.

HRW allows not only a substantially longer breath on fights, but it also helps maximize the effect from your second last talent - Gathering Storm.

Something tells me that by changing that talent, and learning to use it properly will give you big dps boost.

Tank legendary, Unholy shoulder legendary that's not even equipped (+80 ilvl worth right there). Do you have 2nd lege research done?
    Also Shit out of luck for the "Easy to get" ones since first two come faster. Make sure to have loot spec to frost.
    Enchant gear, runeforge your weapons. Buy more mythic carries (easy to notice that btw) and also L2P
    GL!

Draught of Souls is pretty bad for Frost DK. Switch to Unholy if you like it or otherwise get any trinket with strength on it. Your 3rd talent is wrong. You should be using HRW instead of avalanche to help keep Breath up. As for gear wise take whatever has most strength on it and if two things are the same ilvl then optimize for stats. You do need some haste to help keep RW up, but other than that crit/mast/vers should out way it easily. Download simcraft if you haven't to sim yourself to help get your ideal stat weights. There are plenty of guides out there to help you with simcraft if you don't know how. Make sure to turn scaling on.

As for weak auras this one makes the class brain dead. wago dot io/V1irxMugM

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    My Frost DK is now i887, but I'm still doing crappy DPS, like 375k on average, yeah I see big hits in 475k to 500k range every once in awhile. Even my Guild is asking me what's up, due to my gear I should be doing way higher damage.

Do I need to use an add on like Weak Auras 2 to make this work ?

I met another DK, he's i896 and doing 600k to 800k all the time, he said all he does is it the shiny flashing buttons LOL Just once they pop and glow hit those, and he said there's really no rotation, just HB + FS + OB + Syn when ready, saying there's no long winded rotation to worry about, just smash those buttons, according to him.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...thdingo/simple
    I forgive you if you started playing 1 week ago.

BUT:

Alteast try and do research before you ask for advice. WTF is that. Seriously. You can't even pass the MOST casual the MOST average requirements; you don't even have enchants.

Do you really ask if you need addons? Yes, it makes your life easier when you are tracking CD's and debuffs(in fact, its crucial).

I have the complete picture of a LoL player in my head.

I really think this is a troll post . Are you new to WoW or is this a boosted to 100 char ? I am trying to understand how you can be such a noob Nobody in your guild has inspected you and see that mess ?

1. No enchants/runeforges.
    2. DoS sucks for Frost DK, a 845 stat stick with the stat you need is better.
    3. You should change some talents, I'd recommend changing Freezing Fog with Horn of Winter, and Avalance with Hungering Rune Weapon.
    4. Playing BoS right is absolutely not just smashing "glowing spells". You need to pool resources for CDs, time abilities and all that jazz.
    5. Not having a single Frost legendary will of course hurt your dps.

and 6. I doubt your friend is constatly dealing 6-800k dmg with that ilvl. If he is, he should apply to the top guilds stright away. His burst might be 800k though, it's hard to judge as this post reeks of hyperbole.

Search up some guides, join the DK Discord group, do some research and you will improve.

Also your stat weights are way off. Try to aim for something along 25% crit, 20% haste then a bunch of mastery. These are not the right numbers, you should asbolutely learn to sim your own character to see what stats would be best for you.

But the very first thing you should do is to Runeforge your god damn weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

No I am not a WoW noob, and no this is not a boosted 100 character.

I started playing WoW back in November 2004, and created this Death Knight back in Wrath expansion. But all my characters have been Tank spec 90% of my WoW time. This DK has been a Blood Tank all the way up to February of this year. I can Tank heroic dungeons with ease, I can Tank Mythic+ dungeons very well too, I Tank +10 with no problem. But the reason I stopped Tanking was that in Raids I suck balls, just not knowing the mechs well, and my Guild has three super great Tanks already, no need for a fourth average Tank.

So I decided to switch to DPS.

I tried Unholy at first per my Guild recommendation, saying it might be easier to learn, and faster to get higher DPS going. I ran that for a few weeks, got some decent gear, but I hated Unholy, so I switched to Frost after that, and been on Frost a couple weeks now. But I am shocked at my shitty DPS. Thankfully my Guild is super cool, very understanding, and still let me run with them on NH Heroic. Which I am super grateful, but I feel bad due to my crap damage.

Is it my mixed bag of leftover Tank + Unholy gear that's hurting me ? I only have a few pcs of true Frost gear.

Or am I not doing my rotation in the correct order ? And I see I didn;t select the correct Talents for the Syn spec, I will change that, but to be honest not a huge fan of that build, I know some other DK's doing pretty good DPS on the Machine Guns style, but if Syn is the only build to run now, I'll stick to that.

Thank you

It may depend on your ilvl, but guys.. haste is very good for breath build. All about them runes coming up faster. Please take the time and search wow-heroes, wowprogress, logs, etc. and find the top performing breath build Frost DKs and armory them. You should find that most of them have a lot of haste.

Take Mimel from <Easy> for example. Quick armory search shows he's at 34% haste, 26% crit.

As always, sim your character.. But don't aim for icy veins 25% crit / 20% haste as a long term solution. Your crit is lower than it should be for sure.. But Strength>Haste and then either crit or mastery depending on weights is what you will see a lot of.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    No I am not a WoW noob, and no this is not a boosted 100 character.

I started playing WoW back in November 2004, and created this Death Knight back in Wrath expansion. But all my characters have been Tank spec 90% of my WoW time. This DK has been a Blood Tank all the way up to February of this year. I can Tank heroic dungeons with ease, I can Tank Mythic+ dungeons very well too, I Tank +10 with no problem. But the reason I stopped Tanking was that in Raids I suck balls, just not knowing the mechs well, and my Guild has three super great Tanks already, no need for a fourth average Tank.

So I decided to switch to DPS.

I tried Unholy at first per my Guild recommendation, saying it might be easier to learn, and faster to get higher DPS going. I ran that for a few weeks, got some decent gear, but I hated Unholy, so I switched to Frost after that, and been on Frost a couple weeks now. But I am shocked at my shitty DPS. Thankfully my Guild is super cool, very understanding, and still let me run with them on NH Heroic. Which I am super grateful, but I feel bad due to my crap damage.

Is it my mixed bag of leftover Tank + Unholy gear that's hurting me ? I only have a few pcs of true Frost gear.

Or am I not doing my rotation in the correct order ? And I see I didn;t select the correct Talents for the Syn spec, I will change that, but to be honest not a huge fan of that build, I know some other DK's doing pretty good DPS on the Machine Guns style, but if Syn is the only build to run now, I'll stick to that.

Thank you
    You do not have Fallen Crusader and Razor Ice on your weapons. There is no "Frost Gear", gearing for Frost is basically equip your highest ilvl although you want at least 20% Haste and Crit, either one will sim higher than the rest until you get to 25%ish, after that it's Mastery>Vers. Trinket wise Stat Sticks perform very well and CoF + Horn of Valour is your BiS. For enchants then all the neck enchants are pretty close, Hidden Satyr should still be best for pure Single Target, Mark of the Trained Soldier will be better for AoE, I'd probably lean towards Mark. Looking at your current stats then you want to enchant and gem for Crit.

For relics it's Blast Radius as BiS and Ambidexterity next.

Everything you will want to know about trinkets and relics is in this google doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...view?sle=true#

Talent wise BoS blows MG out of the water so that's what you want to practice. It isn't incredibly hard but it's nuanced and takes practice. This guide will tell you everything you need to know about playing either spec.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...SMR3F1x4o/edit

GL HF!
    Last edited by Kronik85; 2017-03-31 at 03:00 PM.

Last edited by Zorachus; 2017-03-31 at 06:12 PM.