Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    I promise you, I'm more lean than you and people in my social circle are more lean than anyone in your social circle.
    I have probably read more books on nutrition in one year than you have your entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I have probably read more books on nutrition in one year than you have your entire life.
    I'm sure you think that's true. Your post history tells me you're full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    I'm sure you think that's true. Your post history tells me you're full of shit.
    You read all 13k of my post? Impressive.

Deleted
    A combination of body type and/or addiction, usually. The cases where it's from some kind of more specific condition are rare. Then there's the cases where the individual is consuming something that their body just doesn't take well.

I lost 36,6 kilos in the army from essentially cutting out wheat and other cereals. I can't honestly say it was from the exercise since there wasn't much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    $60 is out of your price range for 25 pounds of meat that could feed you for a month???

And Karns is a local grocery store near me. They have 3 locations. Giant, and Weis are the 2 large chain markets
    You're assuming I can rob Peter, as it were, to afford to blow the extra expense on food at one time. $60 is my entire food budget for two weeks.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    You're assuming I can rob Peter, as it were, to afford to blow the extra expense on food at one time. $60 is my entire food budget for two weeks.
    Whoah. I make 35k/year, I live in one of the most expensive areas in the country, and I spend almost 1k a month on food.

Granted, food is a priority for me and I don't have a ton left over after rent. But $30 a week? That seems really low if you have any sort of income.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Whoah. I make 35k/year, I live in one of the most expensive areas in the country, and I spend almost 1k a month on food.

Granted, food is a priority for me and I don't have a ton left over after rent. But $30 a week? That seems really low if you have any sort of income.
    If that was really the case I'd love to hear how much he/she is spent on internet and at what level of speed...

People on food stamps and welfare get a shit ton more than $30 a week for food.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    frozen vegetables and fruit loose most of their vitamins and microelements...
    We'd all love to walk into our backyard urban farms, open the door to our hothouse and pick fresh from the earth and vine. Given that many of can't do that one is basically choosing between fresh food that often travels a long, long way losing nutritional value for every day of storage or flash frozen foods.

"Far from reducing nutrient content, rapid freezing may help preserve nutrition."
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/frui...ozen-8446.html

"You do lose some flavor when food is frozen but freezing can be a very good way to preserve the nutritional value, texture and flavor of many foods. The initial quality of the food and the length of time between harvest and freezing are important factors. As long as the food was grown in a high-quality way (for example, organically grown) and was fairly fresh at the time of freezing, the overall nutrient retention in a frozen food can be quite high. In other words, many of the vitamins and minerals will keep fairly well in frozen foods."
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...eorge&dbid=215

"Fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables have more nutrients than canned ones (canning may reduce the amount of some vitamins by half). But fresh is not necessarily better than frozen, since frozen foods are usually processed soon after picking whereas fresh foods may spend days in transport and storage (both in the store and at home) before being consumed. If you cannot shop often, frozen produce may be more nutritious than fresh. Cooked vegetables that are reheated after being kept in the refrigerator for two or three days lose more than half their vitamin C."
    http://www.nytimes.com/1982/07/07/ga...oper-care.html

Deleted
    Because I am lazy.
    Working out a few times a week is a lot of work to do next to your normal work week + chores in and around the house.
    Eating healthy is easy a few times a week but sometimes i can't be arsed cooking so we order out or we cook something really easy thats not even good.

I think this is kind of a multi-tiered question.

1) If you're talking about obese people who may feel awkward in public due to their weight, or are extremely self conscious, that's one thing. I'm not really in that boat, so I'm not going to speak to this.

2) If you're talking about people who are clearly out of shape, could lose 30 lbs and look a lot better, I think it has more to do with what you enjoy in life. When I was young, I was outside playing basketball everyday damn near all day (even when I was working nightshift on an assembly line). That was just my life until I graduated college. I was very thin back then, cross country star, etc. After college, all of my friends moved to separate parts of the country, everyone got real life jobs and the energy and time to be outside just kind of slid. My personal preferences changed a couple years after being in the workforce, that was when the realization that I didn't have the ability to hang out with friends everyday anymore was coming to fruition. Everyone was getting in serious relationships, and started to have family obligations. This is when I found computer games (wow) to bide my time.

Now, my entire life I've had a gym membership. I use it casually, probably on average 2 times a week. At different periods of the year I get motivated to push harder. That motivation is usually about regaining my younger lifestyle, the thinking that if I start working out and getting in better shape, that life is going to be exciting like it was when I was younger. A couple weeks into pushing harder in the gym, nothings changed. I still go to a desk job everyday, I still go home and game in the evening... friends aren't randomly coming out of the wood work of their family lives. I quickly lose that motivation, because nothing in my life changes whether I'm fit as a whistle or not. So, I live my life doing what I want to. I still work out on occasion, I don't let myself go too far. I want to be healthy, but I don't care about giving up all my free time and enjoyment of things like food and alcohol, just to look my best.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not the easiest thing in the world. Losing weight requires a diet, a lifestyle change, and almost daily exercise.

First of all going on a diet means changing what you eat to something healthier. Healthier foods are more expensive and not everyone can afford it.

Then you need to change up your lifestyle. Instead of going to bed at 1-2 AM start going to bed at 10-11 PM. Get rid of sugary foods. Sugar is like an addicting drug. There is nothing that you can benefit from it other than the pleasure of eating it. It's hard to give it up. Instead of eating frozen processed shit in the microwave make a breakfast/lunch/dinner using fresh ingredients. Doing that however takes up more time and again is more expensive. A lot of people have neither of that so they rather make up something quick and easy so they can get on with their day. Instead of eating chips eat vegetables or fruit. Salt is like sugar. It's addicting and hard to let go. Especially in a world where it promotes eating cookies and chips and candy multiple times a day.

Then you need the willpower and motivation to get up everyday and workout. Not only that but you need to have the time to do it and not a lot of people have it. If you want to do it properly you'll either have to go to a gym and spend money on a membership or buy your own equipment. So once again, on top of buying healthier foods you're spending more money on exercising. I mean you could do body workouts but exercising can be hard work and I'd imagine it'd be more convenient and easier to have actual equipment to work with.

So losing weight isn't as easy as you put it at least not for some people. I'm sure it's easy as pie if you're rich. You could probably have your own personal gym, a trainer and everything. When it comes down to losing weight, the bottom line is time and money and as I said before not a lot of people have it.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-03-31 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    "You do lose some flavor when food is frozen but freezing can be a very good way to preserve the nutritional value, texture and flavor of many foods. The initial quality of the food and the length of time between harvest and freezing are important factors. As long as the food was grown in a high-quality way (for example, organically grown) and was fairly fresh at the time of freezing, the overall nutrient retention in a frozen food can be quite high. In other words, many of the vitamins and minerals will keep fairly well in frozen foods."
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...eorge&dbid=215
    [/url]
    That part made me chuckle. Look, you have to understand that organic food is not "better food". Organic is only being pushed for two reasons:

1) You're afraid that the chemicals/fertilizers that farmers use to make food grow more healthy and more abundant, will somehow get through the food into you and poison you.
    2) You don't believe that the chemicals and fertilizers which produce better food, are worth potential side effects on the environment (such as the river/lake systems)

Crops grown under the care of fertilizers and pesticides are proven to produce better yields. This is in both quality and quantity.

First of - I keep seeing this "it's cheaper to buy mcdonalds then to eat healthy" - which simply isn't true. I'll say it's true that good proper food is more expensive in the US then over here in most European countries (most, not all!) - it's still cheaper then fast food.

However you need to have something else that you could consider money - time. Have a freezer and precook and freeze things. Time is the issue for a lot of people. That and researching how to get cheap proper food.

I won't go to much over my own diet (you can PM me if interested) - but I have 0 weight issues my whole life - if anything it's quite hard for me to gain some weight without resorting to unhealthy options. 6'75 (2,04m) at 88kg. Hell my ex her mother thought I didn't eat enough so she had the idea to feed me lots of unhealthy stuff like mcdonalds. Result = I lost weight after 6 months and felt like shit. Like it has been mentioned by several people that probably have a much better understanding of food then myself - there is nothing wrong with good fat, but there is something wrong with processed sugars and carbs. Avoid that shit as much as you can and you might have some difficulties the first few weeks but feel much healthier in the long run.

Also what every person needs to eat is different. Don't go by the 2500 calories for men/2000 for women per day. That is the biggest bullshit ever said (not to mention calories from good and bad stuff are totally different...) - if you are serious about losing weight, have a talk with a proper dietitian and make a proper food plan for your body. Like for example if I wanted to get myself to 100kg I would have to increase my intake of healthy calories to over 3000/day for a prolonged time. My stomach can't even fathom doing that, I will fill up before

Last but not least, as people will otherwise argue this point to death:
    http://robgreenfield.tv/fooddesertatlanta/

If you can do that in Atlanta - please don't tell me it's cheaper to buy fast food. Good luck surviving on 1 burger (same $4) per day.
    Last edited by falagar112; 2017-03-31 at 04:12 PM.
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    Crops grown under the care of fertilizers and pesticides are proven to produce better yields. This is in both quality and quantity.
    I think its debatable. And I certainly don't think its a take it or leave situation either.

Everyone has to make their own choices. They need to do what they can concerning their health and with respect to their own comfort zones.

Over the years I have grown food myself in "victory gardens." Having an abundance of food to hand is a great luxury and very economical to achieve also. One can have amazing herbs, fruits, vegetables etc. One can control all the inputs and be more sure of the benefits of that food. I love having things like fresh basil, parsley, cilantro, endive, green onion, tomatoes, squash, zucchinis, etc.

Some of these benefits can be had from very small gardens in the windowsill of your home's kitchen.

I'm not obsessed with organic. Legally, its a meaningless, throwaway term. If I have to buy from the store I buy what looks good to me. And I'll buy frozen over fresh a good deal of the time too.

But when I control the inputs I am not poisoning my crops if I can avoid it. There are myriad techniques to grow healthier plants that don't necessarily involve pesticides and fertilizers that might be harmful. And I like heirloom items as often as I can find them.

Deleted
    I believe the main reason for people wanting to lose weight is the idea people wont find partners anymore if they weight too much.

Basically, fast food is cheap and convient. It requires no effort hell you can even stay in your and use the drive through or stay at home and have a pizza ordered.

Isn't this assuming people struggle with it, and don't just find being fat is a decent trade off for doing whatever it is they like doing. Not that there isn't people out there who do struggle, but might as well speak up for those that don't care to bother matching the desirable body type. Personally my personality will kill any relationship quicker than being fat so.. time to order a pizza! At least the delivery driver will smile and act nice till they get their money. Yes I know I can't help taking these things with a pinch of salt.. goes well with the fries.

Seriously though each individual person has an unique grab bag of traits that will either aid or hinder them in losing weight. So probably depends on the person, rather than an overarching generalization as to why people may struggle with weight loss. Though I will say it's unlikely there is someone out there with a fear of hunger pangs as their reason to have gotten fat, I'd probably suggest some don't ever feel hungry in the traditional sense. Comfort eating is a big culprit, people feel good when they eat certain foods thus they will continue to consume those even knowing they are 'bad' for them.

But then I'm an eat what you want, I don't care as I'm busy eating what I want person. We'll have to lay in the beds we make, so might as well not get mean to each other about it. Not like there is second hand obesity.. be funny if there was.. a chubby zombie apocalypse. And there we go again, down the rabbit hole of random thoughts.. really should plan these posts rather than type them on the fly. But then where is the fun in that? Toodles.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    We get a burger King coupon every month in the mail. At some points you can get two whoppers, two large fries and two large sodas for ten bucks. OR they have two for 5's and that is only one of the many fast food places. You can eat really cheap if you try.

OR how about this two of these for breakfast, as they are now buy one get on free. One cost 3.79

http://www.brandeating.com/2017/03/h...d-biscuit.html
    I know all those things - you are being tempted at every spot in the aisle to buy crap. Like this what you linked, sounds great doesn't it? pay 3.79 and get 7.68 in value worth. That is how temptation works.

Now if you would actually read through my link and follow his months experiment, they had money left over at the end of the month - cooking for 2 people, healthy food, on a $4 per person per day budget. That includes public transport to the nearest organic shop that was quite the distance.

edit: that is what your link just spend on breakfast alone, unhealthy food to add.

edit2: neil degrasse tyson made an interesting comment that ties into this - things are considered "normal" in the US even though other people in the world would be like "wtf".

Like if you visit Italy, being from the US, the first thing that will strike you as odd is the Italians having a whole aisle dedicated to just hundreds of pasta variations. There's no Italian that would consider that weird. But if you put that Italian in a US grocery store, he'd be just as amazed at your soda and breakfast cereal aisles

Humans get shaped by their surroundings. Be surrounded by overweight people and unhealthy food all your life = you consider it "normal". But that does not mean it's healthy!
    Last edited by falagar112; 2017-03-31 at 04:27 PM.
    My DK

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    I did not know everyone lives in Atlanta and can simply do that. Fast food is everywhere.
    Well... Atlanta is a food desert, it does not get much worse at other places in the US. And food desert, as the article states, a better description is a food swamp. If you have to travel 15 miles to the nearest organic shop vs getting burgers around the corner without leaving your car.... there's no lack of food, just... people go for the easier way out (or simply do not have the time to travel that far!)

All I am saying, it is *cheaper* to eat healthy. But it does require more time investment. Having a freezer and basic kitchen appliances will get you a long way if you are willing to make the sacrifice - and it's also totally worth the time invested.

If you disagree and think your place it's impossible - let me know where you are from and I will find you a place - and I'm not even from the US
    My DK

Many fast foods are most definitely in the way of food-like substances, and not actually food. Already mentioned in this thread how foods like yogurt aren't actually even yogurt, but more like collections of thick gloopy crap the food industry needs to dispose of. Enjoy some soy milk...

Re: the Italian food shop comment:
    I am Italian and I have always despised pasta and things like pollenta. This led to many family arguments and being sent to bed without food many a night.

And talking about cereal aisles, cereal is the craziest junk ever. Cereal is basically some grain that is going to turn into sugar in your body, most cereals are actually processed to be spun into some tragic puffed thing melded with obscene amounts of actual sugar. Then people take it home and "enjoy" it with milk (or lactose, which is sugar). So that's sugar mixed with sugar and consumed with sugar poured over it.

Eat up!
    Last edited by Louisa Bannon; 2017-03-31 at 05:13 PM.