Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Anyone attempting to collect every Appearance ?

Maybe a crazy idea, a futile task or just an impossible endeavour...
    Ever since the Wardrobe was announced I started to prepare for it's release.
    I bought cheap BoE's, ran all old Dungeons and Raids to get as many items before launch to have a headstart and (ab)used Alts to it's full potential this way.
    Some items dropped quite easily, others took months (curse you Dark Shaman set !) to gather but it's an ongoing process of filling in the missing pieces.

Is anyone else in the same boat and trying to fill in every slot, or just after a couple of specific items to finish an Appearance I wonder.

Currently my collection looks as follows;

224/370 Helms
    242/361 Shoulders
    498/770 Backs
    279/433 Chests
    84/97 Shirts (Brawlers is missing mainly)
    77/80 Tabards
    251/364 Wrists
    272/399 Gloves
    250/377 Belts
    284/416 Legs
    268/408 Boots

Won't list the Weapons since it's a bit too much for now.

What's on the to-do list:

Finishing old LFR sets.
    Finishing TBC up to WoD Dungeon loot.
    Legion PvP sets.

After all the Dungeons and PvP sets are done I'll most likely work my way through specific Profession related craftables (BoP recipes) and Loremaster items I'm missing.

It's a long journey (probably a never-ending one), but it's enjoyable and re-visiting lost Dungeons, Raids and Zones shows me how immersive and vast this game has become over the years.
    My collection is probably nothing compared to others (I know off someone who has close to 90% already) but it's still a nice thing to talk about and share tips, experiences and woes.

Anyone in the same boat or has made progress towards their Appearance-goals ?
    Last edited by Mhyroth; 2017-04-02 at 04:26 PM.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Definately all the raid sets. When Timewalking comes I like to change my mog to match a set from that xpac when I run the dungeons.

Deleted
    I have 312/365 helmets and 301/351 shoulders on my warrior.

I just decided to collect per slot.

I honestly feel kinda stupid at times, but meh. Better than ap farming.
    And all that goes through my mind is 'I do hope I never have to reroll...'

And then Blizz decided to fuck me over on the achievements with bracers and adding belts to old pvp sets.
    Last edited by mmoce1f817744b; 2017-04-03 at 04:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    And then Blizz decided to fuck me over on the achievements with bracers and adding belts to old pvp sets.
    I feel you. Damn bracers :[

I personally would never attempt to collect all appearances, that's all-achievements-completed levels of insane. To get the blue judgement shoulders from Hellfire Ramparts I had to do that dungeon 24 times or so... now multiply that by 1000 for all the similarly elusive items.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2017-04-02 at 04:22 PM.

Deleted
    I honestly feel kinda stupid at times, but meh. Better than ap farming.
    Honestly, I agree. I prefer spending my time in WoW farming all the appearances and working towards completing the collection over farming AP/portals or whatever right now. So that's what I am currently busy doing.

Deleted
    Collecting everything that my hunter can equip, even staves, axes etc.

Helm: 307/382
    Shoulder: 273/353
    Cloak: 544/786
    Chest: 290/421
    Shirt: 80/92
    Tabard: 75/80
    Bracers: 258/358
    Gloves: 295/400
    Belt: 274/372
    Legs: 296/405
    Boots: 300/404

Instance progress

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    I personally would never attempt to collect all appearances, that's all-achievements-completed levels of insane. To get the blue judgement shoulders from Hellfire Ramparts I had to do that dungeon 24 times or so... now multiply that by 1000 for all the similarly elusive items.
    I personally wouldn't collect everything either, but if I'm like say, 10 appearances away from a hallmark such as 300 I'll usually put in the effort.

I spent today on collecting all the shoulders I could get from questing, so I went to Netherstorm, Blade's Edge you name it. Added another 12 to my collection.

But yeah, the example you gave perfectly sums up the one annoyance that'll drive you insane.
    A few examples:
    - Over 20 Well of Eternity runs for the plate helmets dropped by Mannoroth.
    - 18 runs for Mythic Calamity's Edge.
    - 25 runs for Reclaimed Ashkandi, which apparently is like a 7% drop chance whilst having it in an alt's bag for months.
    - 15+ weeks and counting for specific HFC Normal bosses that have bugged loot tables when 2-manning it.
    - 15+ weeks and counting for fucking Gorehowl from Karazhan (yes I know how pathetic the RNG is, got the daggers over 8 times easily)
    And of course, the pinnacle of bad RNG:
    Dragon Soul LFR...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Honestly, I agree. I prefer spending my time in WoW farming all the appearances and working towards completing the collection over farming AP/portals or whatever right now. So that's what I am currently busy doing.
    I stopped raiding after clearing HC EN, but even if I were still raiding my train of thought would be:
    - Farming for permanent item appearances.
    - Farming percentile-based power increases that'll get reset every patch, and be completely gone by the end of Legion.

Easy choice imo.

Edit: EU Horde PM me for Btag.
    Last edited by mmoce1f817744b; 2017-04-02 at 07:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    This is the main reason I do Appearances now. It might be an impossble thing to complete, but always fun to get items after a lot of farming.
    Some items are quite rare too (certain Epics from Vanilla Dungeons) but that's what makes it a grind ^^.

The hardest part for me remains Dragon Soul LFR and some Normal/Heroic Raids due to how the new loot-system works.
    Having Alts is the key to getting Appearances in weekly/daily locked Instances and it helps an insane amount when you're after a specific item.
    @Koenig my instance progress looks similar. The fun part will be when you run out of Dungeons/Raids and you'll have to rely on Professions and Quests to get the last ones.

Overall I'm happy to see there's others who have things to work towards (or are as insane as I am). Especially since the current content isn't always the most enjoyable to do and we want to spice things up a bit.

PS: Added my battle.tag to my sig for those who wish to run content together (and trade items around). This is only for EU.
    Last edited by Mhyroth; 2017-04-02 at 05:36 PM.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

I personally like to collect things. I collect achievements (only a little above 23k right now, still long way to go), Mounts (320 currently), pets (who knows how many unique pets I have) but when it comes to appearances I just cant get myself to collect them. I dont know what it is. It may be because I have my set transmog and wont ever change it so there is no point or because once I have all the achievements for collecting the appearances the joy of getting a new one just goes away. It is definitely on the list for things I want to collect but it is not very high. Right now it would have to go Mounts>Achievements>Pets>Gold>appearances. and since I have so many mounts, achievements and pets to farm still I just cant get myself enough motivation to go out simply to collect appearances even though I do want them all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    snip.
    How many alts do you have and what class do you play? (guessing shaman from the OP)

I currently farm everything up until Mists of Pandaria, because i can basically solo everything there. I probably start farming WoD weekly next expansion because i'd rather farm everything alone because i have group loot instead of personal loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Koenig View Post
    Collecting everything that my hunter can equip, even staves, axes etc.

Helm: 307/382
    Shoulder: 273/353
    Cloak: 544/786
    Chest: 290/421
    Shirt: 80/92
    Tabard: 75/80
    Bracers: 258/358
    Gloves: 295/400
    Belt: 274/372
    Legs: 296/405
    Boots: 300/404

Instance progress
    What mod is that

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    What mod is that
    Monar's Wardrobe Helper @ Curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    How many alts do you have and what class do you play? (guessing shaman from the OP)

I currently farm everything up until Mists of Pandaria, because i can basically solo everything there. I probably start farming WoD weekly next expansion because i'd rather farm everything alone because i have group loot instead of personal loot.
    I took it easy farming, but currently running with 6 Shamans and 4 Hunters. (Shaman is my Main this Expansion yes).
    In totall I have 30 + level 100 Characters but haven't bothered to do the Dungeon stuff too much, mainly Raids and weekly lockouts.

I wouldn't but I certainly understand the impulse. I favor particular transmog sets and tend to use those on every character in the armor type, which is why me buying 8/8 Dreadnaught and Dreamwalker off the BMAH was such a good thing for me, I've got an overwhelming majority of Plate and Leather characters and can use those on all of them without burning out on the look. I've gone after more weapon appearances than armor because of this.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

If I were you I would save DS LFR for last, as there's a chance Blizzard will increase the drop chance of the items. I'd focus on some other raid/dungeon for now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Explicit Teemo Nudes View Post
    If I were you I would save DS LFR for last, as there's a chance Blizzard will increase the drop chance of the items.
    Source? /10chr

Deleted
    Source? /10chr
    Why wouldn't they? SoO LFR for example has 100% drop chance on every boss.

Deleted
    Why wouldn't they? SoO LFR for example has 100% drop chance on every boss.
    No, why would they? Awful RNG results in a lengthier grind, which means the purchase of more subscription time.

It's what they're strifing for with 7.2 gating and the AP grind, might aswell benefit from inconvenient legacy content.

Stood in the Fire chase_the_mofo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    not really quit the game after killing gul'dan cos it's no fun
    From all things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

No, why would they? Awful RNG results in a lengthier grind, which means the purchase of more subscription time.
    while your statement is true, it doesn't really apply to this discussion does it? Realisticly, how many people will sub or stay subbed for the sake of running dragonsoul LFR for old transmog pieces? :b
    I like my coffe like my mages.