Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Don't think anyone wants to invade Canada for anything so meh.
    Jokes on you Republicans are invading Canada to appropriate their healthcare, because they can't make their own.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    And is more than enough tbh. If you dont invade other countries, there is no reason to have larger army. =)
    Coming from a guy in a country thats economy collapsed and still spent over 2% on its military....
    Canada has an obligation to maintain a military capable of coming to the defense of its allies, and it is rapidly coming tot the point it cant do more than show the flag.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TJrogue View Post
    Russians from the pole!
    A bit like zombies from space!
    With the retreating polar ice cap, that is actually a viable concern.

10+ Year Old Account
    Russians from the pole!
    That is not a joke. That is a serious strategic matter. The ice sheet is melting. Boats are/will be able to sail through the Arctic Ocean all year long. Which means that trade between Europe and Asia will be easier. Already Russia claims a part of the Arctic Ocean and its ressources. Canada does the same, as USA. Canada says that all the islands in the Great North must be considered a huge archipelago, which means that all waters between the islands are canadian water. USA disagrees. While the islands are recognized as canadian, they are not accepted as an archipelago. So there would be some sea ways that would be in international waters. And let's not forget the Bering Strait. I doubt even Trump will recognize Putin's claim on the Arctic.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Wasn't claiming it was near the top, either. However, I'll note that most of those nations had massive civilian casualties, by dint of being directly in the war theater. That adds to that figure, and Canada avoided that through the same luck of geography as the USA.

I'm merely pointing out the bollocks attitude that Canada is somehow not militarily respectable, particularly coming from Americans. We've done our part, as much as anyone.
    All NATO countries agreed to a 2% of GDP military spending. The US didn't force or coerce them into this agreement. The fact of the matter is that Canada (and many other NATO countries) are not holding up their end of the bargain as they are below, and in this far below, required military spending.

The funny part is that these countries spending less than 2% GDP are proving Trump right in that NATO is obsolete, and that's coming from a liberal. NATO is 28 countries (soon to be 29 with Montenegro). The US accounts for 72.18% of all NATO spending. That is egregious and completely unfair burdening of the US. Quite frankly, it's indefensible. Just like any club, if you don't pay your member dues you get kicked out, and the countries below 2% are no different.

Last edited by The Iron Fist; 2017-04-02 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Coming from a guy in a country thats economy collapsed and still spent over 2% on its military....
    Canada has an obligation to maintain a military capable of coming to the defense of its allies, and it is rapidly coming tot the point it cant do more than show the flag.
    NATO's security risks are fueled by USA's, UK's and France's middle east expeditions. Not only those 3 counties should take the burden of defense but also take the burden off all these refugees. Simple as that.

Deleted
    Russians from the pole!
    Must be those from that crashed Borg Sphere.

10+ Year Old Account
    NATO's security risks are fueled by USA's, UK's and France's middle east expeditions. Not only those 3 counties should take the burden of defense but also take the burden off all these refugees. Simple as that.
    Which is why so many are afraid of Russian intervention. We all know you would love for Greece to be a member of the Russian Federation, but most Europeans do not share this desire.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    All NATO countries agreed to a 2% of GDP military spending. The US didn't force or coerce them into this agreement. The fact of the matter is that Canada (and many other NATO countries) are not holding up their end of the bargain as they are below, and in this far below, required military spending.

The funny part is that these countries spending less than 2% GDP are proving Trump right in that NATO is obsolete, and that's coming from a liberal. NATO is 28 countries (soon to be 29 with Montenegro). The US accounts for 72.18% of all NATO spending. That is egregious and completely unfair burdening of the US. Quite frankly, it's indefensible. Just like any club, if you don't pay your member dues you get kicked out, and the countries below 2% are no different.

Excellent example. So if they are breaking their agreement, then they should leave or get the majority of the other members to renegotiate a different amount of commitment. But one thing is for sure. The US should not pay a penny more than they agreed to at the beginning.

Which is why so many are afraid of Russian intervention. We all know you would love for Greece to be a member of the Russian Federation, but most Europeans do not share this desire.
    You keep typing bs whenever someone points out your country's economical expansion cost. Keep on it, maybe you'll manage make some look the other way. Also, i love how you play the Greek card and completely dismissing the fact that i am born in Montreal, been leaving the majority of my life there and i have properties under my name there which i pay taxes for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Excellent example. So if they are breaking their agreement, then they should leave or get the majority of the other members to renegotiate a different amount of commitment. But one thing is for sure. The US should not pay a penny more than they agreed to at the beginning.
    This is what we all want dude. Stop faking paying for more military and stay into your own country. Can you do that please? thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump is an ass, but being slow with getting to the projected level of spending is nothing to be proud of either.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    You keep typing bs whenever someone points out your country's economical expansion cost. Keep on it, maybe you'll manage make some look the other way. Also, i love how you play the Greek card and completely dismissing the fact that i am born in Montreal, been leaving the majority of my life there and i have properties under my name there which i pay taxes for.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what we all want dude. Stop faking paying for more military and stay into your own country. Can you do that please? thanks
    I love how you present US deaths but not Russian deaths because it would hurt your narrative. Being Quebecois is hardly a step up from being Greek, but you are the one who chose to embrace Greece, so live with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    That is not a joke. That is a serious strategic matter. The ice sheet is melting. Boats are/will be able to sail through the Arctic Ocean all year long. Which means that trade between Europe and Asia will be easier. Already Russia claims a part of the Arctic Ocean and its ressources. Canada does the same, as USA. Canada says that all the islands in the Great North must be considered a huge archipelago, which means that all waters between the islands are canadian water. USA disagrees. While the islands are recognized as canadian, they are not accepted as an archipelago. So there would be some sea ways that would be in international waters. And let's not forget the Bering Strait. I doubt even Trump will recognize Putin's claim on the Arctic.
    When we get to the point we'll be able to travel freely across the pole all year round we'd have bigger issues to worry about.
    And no. It's not a serious strategic matter. It's a joke to make people laugh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post

If you want to keep up something like NATO that serves purely US interests than you pay for it.
    Do you have a problem with that? Don't pay then.

- - - Updated - - -

How on earth is your reply in anyway connected to what he said. Lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    When we get to the point we'll be able to travel freely across the pole all year round we'd have bigger issues to worry about.
    And no. It's not a serious strategic matter. It's a joke to make people laugh.

- - - Updated - - -

If you want to keep up something like NATO that serves purely US interests than you pay for it.

- - - Updated - - -

How on earth is your reply in anyway connected to what he said. Lol.
    Because he has a very long standing fetish with all things Russian, especially their nuclear weapons.

Why is not fulfilling obligations you agreed to praise worthy?

Deleted
    Because he has a very long standing fetish with all things Russian, especially their nuclear weapons.
    That doesn't make your reply any better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    I can understand countries that a struggling financially and also think we should give them a break, but what is the excuse(s) from the richer ones including my own for not paying their bills?
    It goes something like this:

In order to invade Canada, you need the force projection to cross - at the very most hospitable - the Atlantic Ocean. Establish a beachhead, setup logistics across said ocean to supply. Then systematically take cities - much in the same means as Afghanistan or Iraq or Syria. Conquering is not easy.

We don't need to worry about that though, because there is only 1 country on the planet who has the naval power to actually do that.

The United States. Who is also the only country who doesn't need to cross an ocean to get to us.

So there is literally only one country who can actually 'invade' Canada: and that's the US.

Canada could spend our entire annual budget (100%) on our military - and we still wouldn't contest a US invasion.

So Canada is in the almost unique position amongst countries on the planet - Australia and New Zealand are in the same club though - that invasion is basically not an option against us. So clearly, having a military is not about protecting our sovereignty.

Canada's military therefore serves the following purposes:
    - disaster relief (hurricanes and shit)
    - peacekeeping (world policing)
    - maintaining the existing power balance (US hegemony benefits us indirectly)

So basically, we spend 1% of GDP on our peace corps - and most of that goes to buying shit from the US military-industrial complex. So effectively it's a tax the US levies on us - in exchange for not having to build up a big goofy army to feign protection from our neighbour.

Canada's actual and best defense - is diplomacy. Keep selling oil, water, electricity, etc - to the US - so that the US has a financial motive to continue to trade with us (not to mention we buy US shit, boosting the power of US exports). And then keep the world from going to shit - because the biggest three real threats to Canadian sovereignty are (ranked in order of most likely):

1. World War 3
    2. Invasion by Space Aliens
    3. Invasion by the US

Russia is no military threat to us - and besides - we're the last country on Earth they want to invade. They have enough snow and cold weather already - half the reason they're so historically aggressive is they just want some nice beaches and summers. That's why they invade the Turkish Mediterranean coast every winter.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2017-04-03 at 08:25 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khelek View Post
    They are fulfilling the obligations, they just refuse to speed up fulfilling them based on the new US administration's pressure.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Again, allow me to correct you: I have a long term fetish with peace, and nukes is what kept you from decimating another country. Also, as for your post before this, since the collapse of the Soviet Union Russia has only mobilized for events that took place against their population in their borders and for allies (Syria). I don't claim Russia is saint but at least they are predictable. They are paranoid of NATO and they don't like their people to get massacred. From the other hand you are not. You invade other countries that have nothing to do with your population or allies. Can you see the difference?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Of the 28 NATO countries, only the US, Greece, UK, Estonia and Poland hit the 2% target in 2016.
    Well in fairness Greece did it with Germany's money so Germany should get a pass too :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khelek View Post
    Taking a stand against the USA and not overspending just to assist their governments sceptre waving is praiseworthy.

- - - Updated - - -

Well said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, allow me to correct you: I have a long term fetish with peace, and nukes is what kept you from decimating another country. Also, as for your post before this, since the collapse of the Soviet Union Russia has only mobilized for events that took place against their population in their borders and for allies (Syria). I don't claim Russia is saint but at least they are predictable. They are paranoid of NATO and they don't like their people to get massacred. From the other hand you are not. You invade other countries that have nothing to do with your population or allies. Can you see the difference?
    Remember that moment when the US invaded a peaceful country in which everything was going well and ruined the peace? Yeah, me neither.

I guess your fetish with peace only extends as far as the US is in any way involved!