15+ Year Old Account
    Umineko Chapter 06

Spoiler: 
    You've got to be kidding me. I thought for sure all the answers were going to come and then it ended with a cockblock like that.

I feel like the answer must be obvious, but still, I don't know. I mean, I have my theories, but I feel like they aren't right.

My assumption, at least, are that Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice are all the same person. What Battler was supposed to remember was that talk he had with Shannon, detailing his ideal girl. It's all a case of some strange multi-personality disorder: Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice are all facets of one person, created to be with three different people (George/Jessica/Battler).

...Or something like that. It would probably explain some things about the past games, even though I still don't fully comprehend how it is supposed to work.

I'm pretty sure Natsuhi's cliff incident and Rosa's cliff incident are related because iirc they were both 19 years ago. I'm not sure in what way though. At the very least, the baby isn't supposed to be Battler, but Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice. And maybe the baby's mother was the other Beatrice, the one in the forest?

I don't get the logistics of the closed room though, I mean even in the hypothetical that Kanon/Shannon/Beatrice are all the same person I can't explain how Kanon entered the room yet still left it. Honestly the entire chapter I thought maybe Erika helped him, or that someone had been in the room the entire time with Battler, even though I couldn't explain why. So in the end the answer was never in my reach.

All in all I'm probably misinterpreting something, and am completely wrong. I just don't know anymore. I feel like there were a lot of hints this chapter (am I missing something or does this not imply Rosa was one of the culprits) but I don't think any hints can help me now, all these theories have eaten away at my mind. I'm never going to get the answer unless it's just plainly stated.

Erika was fun this chapter though. The voice acting in this is so goddamn good, I love it with they go full crazy taunting mode. Beatrice is the king of this with the almost yakuza-like tone she goes sometimes, but Erika is also pretty great too with her English.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Also, unrelated, but this was recommended to me just now and I was wondering why no one has brought it up yet since some of you seem to follow Digibro or at least Gigguk.
    [video=youtube;Pd2QTRfx1XY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd2QTRfx1XY[/video ]

I would have expected something like this to cause some mad shitposting in here.
    Meh, it's just Digibro being Digibro, stirring up some shit because it's what he does. There's a roughly 4 hour round table about it on Mother's Basement.

edit: Also, if one of you can tell me which channel Gigguk mentions there along with Super Eyepatch Wolf at around 3:10, that'd be very nice.
    It's Pause And Select.

Digibro basically just wants more people to post like him. He's drunk, he's blunt, that's about it really.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I'm still in the process of writing my review, and while I rate it significantly lower I do agree that it's one of the best mechas out there. The final fight scene today where Mikazuki is just tearing everything up despite being half dead was just satisfying to watch, even in light of everything else that was happening.

Question, though: Why was Akihiro so happy to kill Iok? Did he recognize him from the Mobile Armor incident? I've forgotten.
    IBO - I'm pretty sure he knew Akihiro was behind the whole incident with the Turbines. Maybe because he (iirc) was one of the reinforcements that came to help Naze when they got attacked? I don't really remember if Tekkadan ever learns on-screen that Iok was behind that, but that's what I assume Akihiro was happy about.

Interesting Digibro only ranted while drinking. I actually did watch that entire rant video; was kind of long-winded and boring. When it gets to the point where you're mocking someone's voice and the pitch of it, you're reaching abysmal levels of criticism. He may make some decent points about scripts and anime breakdowns, however.
    Last edited by Schirmy; 2017-04-03 at 01:47 AM.

Also, unrelated, but this was recommended to me just now and I was wondering why no one has brought it up yet since some of you seem to follow Digibro or at least Gigguk.
    I watch some of Gigguk's stuff and he's the one the few anime guys that doesn't make me want to kill myself while listening to him. I just don't care about people stirring up trouble on the internet, whether it's directed at people I like or not.

I need to get watching on the new season. I'm probably going to watch AoT S2 if just for the need to fit in with the rest of the anime world. I'll probably also give Hero Acaedemia S2 a shot, if just because it was easy to watch. People seem to be positive about Alice so far, so maybe I'll check that out. Not sure if there's anything else I would even be attracted to.

Edit: Oh, isn't S2 Bahamut coming out? I need to finish S1...

Titan s2 seems to have picked up where s1 left off. More big niggas eating little niggas and not much else interesting going on. I'm going to drop it for now and probably watch it once it's done airing. I couldn't imagine watching this weekly with the pacing issues s1 had. 6/10.

Granblue looks interesting enough on the surface but the first 10 minutes looked really inconsistent visually. I stopped watching because I got bored but that's not necessarily the show's fault.

Nothing I've been particularly looking forward to has aired yet, so I'm just reading stuff for the time being.

tapris (you all could probably guess that) > pres > vigne > satania > satania's family > gab = raphi
    not sure where to put zelel

saw a serval at the zoo! now just need to find some sandstar to make her into a friend
    Last edited by bals; 2017-04-03 at 03:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    tapris (you all could probably guess that) > pres > vigne > satania > satania's family > gab = raphi
    just finished the last episode just now too...I'll save mine till tomorrow
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Titan s2 seems to have picked up where s1 left off. More big niggas eating little niggas and not much else interesting going on. I'm going to drop it for now and probably watch it once it's done airing. I couldn't imagine watching this weekly with the pacing issues s1 had. 6/10.

Granblue looks interesting enough on the surface but the first 10 minutes looked really inconsistent visually. I stopped watching because I got bored but that's not necessarily the show's fault.

Nothing I've been particularly looking forward to has aired yet, so I'm just reading stuff for the time being.
    only 12 episodes so the pacing should be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    only 12 episodes so the pacing should be much better.
    but i thought they were blaming that on the shitty animator conditions (plus all the shitty anime they have to draw)

15+ Year Old Account
    top 10 anime plot twists

osaka is a miracle of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    top 10 anime plot twists

osaka is a miracle of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Umineko Chapter 06

Spoiler: 
    You've got to be kidding me. I thought for sure all the answers were going to come and then it ended with a cockblock like that.

I feel like the answer must be obvious, but still, I don't know. I mean, I have my theories, but I feel like they aren't right.

My assumption, at least, are that Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice are all the same person. What Battler was supposed to remember was that talk he had with Shannon, detailing his ideal girl. It's all a case of some strange multi-personality disorder: Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice are all facets of one person, created to be with three different people (George/Jessica/Battler).

...Or something like that. It would probably explain some things about the past games, even though I still don't fully comprehend how it is supposed to work.

I'm pretty sure Natsuhi's cliff incident and Rosa's cliff incident are related because iirc they were both 19 years ago. I'm not sure in what way though. At the very least, the baby isn't supposed to be Battler, but Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice. And maybe the baby's mother was the other Beatrice, the one in the forest?

I don't get the logistics of the closed room though, I mean even in the hypothetical that Kanon/Shannon/Beatrice are all the same person I can't explain how Kanon entered the room yet still left it. Honestly the entire chapter I thought maybe Erika helped him, or that someone had been in the room the entire time with Battler, even though I couldn't explain why. So in the end the answer was never in my reach.

All in all I'm probably misinterpreting something, and am completely wrong. I just don't know anymore. I feel like there were a lot of hints this chapter (am I missing something or does this not imply Rosa was one of the culprits) but I don't think any hints can help me now, all these theories have eaten away at my mind. I'm never going to get the answer unless it's just plainly stated.

Erika was fun this chapter though. The voice acting in this is so goddamn good, I love it with they go full crazy taunting mode. Beatrice is the king of this with the almost yakuza-like tone she goes sometimes, but Erika is also pretty great too with her English.
    Spoiler: 
    Erika's self-introduction had to be the most hype things ever. It pretty much confirms the number of people on the island. "Even if you join us, there are only 17 people" or something like that. Regardless, it confirms that if you take out Erika, there will be 16 people. Not 18, not 17 but 16 people. Next episode is the episode that confirms theories so I'll try to not comment on your theory here. However I'll put the closed room's solution under this in separate tags.

MAJOR UMINEKO SPOILERS:
    Spoiler: 
    The solution for the final closed room. I can't recall if this was in the VN but here we go:
    'Hideyoshi, George, Shannon, Kumasawa, and Nanjo are in the next room over!'
    'I acknowledge that everyone else is in the cousins' room.'
    The 'magic' was that Kanon dies and then as a ghost leaves the cousins' room, right?
    However, the seals in the cousins' room are intact so what the fuck happened? Well, if it is said in red that Shannon is in the next room over, then Kanon can't actually be in the cousins' room in the first place.

Shannon escaped from the next room over using the windows, and then became Kanon. Kanon then lets Battler escape and hides in the closet. After that Kanon becomes Shannon again.

Thus Battler manages to escape and Kanon is no longer there. Shannon is still there but that doesn't matter since Beatrice's red says that "Kanon does not exist in the quest room". She never said anything about Erika being the only one there. It's a pretty dumb play with the words but that's Umineko for you.

Shigurui - A dark samurai story that doesn't go too heavy on fighting, but when fights happen, it's a disturbing gore fiesta. What I really enjoyed about the show was the permanent suspense created by combination of snail's pace, aesthetic and characters, who seemed to be on edge, emotionless and focused most of the time, underscored by fitting soundtrack. All that buildup is then released when a fight happens and it's over in an instant only to gradually build up again. Fights aren't flashy, they reflect the atmosphere in many ways actually. Or at least that's the vibe I got from it.

Unfortunately, while the anime adaptation gives an ending, it's not the ending, as it covers only slightly more than 1/3 of the source material (manga) and after 9 years 2nd season doesn't seem likely. Aside from gore, there's also mild nudity, groping and assaults present, so viewer discretion advised (if not for gore already). First few moments reminded me of Basilisk (manga, haven't watched the anime) but it wasn't the case in the end. I think the closest in comparison could be Vagabond manga, but darker and not philosophical.

Aaaand for the new season
    Alice to Zouroku 01 - a very promising first episode. I'm not sure how I feel about the research facility side of the plot yet, but Sana-Zouroku duo charmed me right away. The art was on the weaker side, most of the city looked cardboard-ish, but restaurant interior/exterior, temple and especially flower shop looked great.
    Sekai no Yami Zukan 01 - it was only 5 minutes long, that's a plus

the rest I'm initially interested in hasn't aired yet. Not feeling like watching AoT, maybe after season's over.
    Last edited by Simplex; 2017-04-03 at 02:55 PM.

Nico Nico Kemono Friends popularity rankings
    Spoiler: 

1. Serval (CV: Yuka Ozaki) - 19.07 %
    2. Kaban (Aya Uchida) - 8.382 %
    3. Shoebill (Misae Komori) - 7.182 %
    4. Alpaca suri (Yukiyo Fujii) - 6.898 %
    5. Toki/Japanese crested ibis (Tomoko Kaneda) - 5.488 %
    6. Common raccoon (Saki Ono) - 4.632 %
    7. Tsuchinoko (Yu Kobayashi) - 3.611 %
    8. Fennec (Kana Motoyama) - 3.178 %
    9. Northern white-faced owl (shiori Mikami) - 3.158 %
    10. Ezo red fox (Mimori Suzuko) - 3.019 %
    11. Silver fox (Yuka Aisaka) - 2.888 %
    12. Sand cat (Mewhan) - 2.357 %
    13. Lucky Beast (Aya Uchida) - 2.238 %
    14. Lion (Mariko Honda) - 2.161 %
    15. Emperor penguin (Ruka Nemoto) - 1.985 %

not bad ranking since all friends are best friends. surprised there's no gray wolf though

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    Shigurui - A dark samurai story that doesn't go too heavy on fighting, but when fights happen, it's a disturbing gore fiesta...
    I like the idea of fights being over rapidly and accurately, rather than being drawn out battles, but I'm not sure I could take that level of violence you're describing. Hellsing Ultimate was a bit too much for me, and that sounds like it may step beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I like the idea of fights being over rapidly and accurately, rather than being drawn out battles, but I'm not sure I could take that level of violence you're describing. Hellsing Ultimate was a bit too much for me, and that sounds like it may step beyond that.
    This one would be probably worse. Entrails falling out, (partially) chopped off heads, hands, disfiguration. First five minutes of the first episode give a pretty good indication of what to expect in that regard or here's a gif if you feel like it.

So I get how people can review a singular episode (Like done in this thread), but how are people writing an entire review for a series that has one episode out on MAL? (Saw Boku No Hero S2 had a review already)

It's kinda baffling.

*shoves my 3 episodes of Taboo Tattoo that I gave a 2 under the carpet*

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (S1 and S2) - 7/10

As a franchise, Gundam explores the meaning and effects of war. However, the quality of each series varies greatly with the premise being periodically undermined by immature attitudes and pseudo-intellectual exposition. Often the gains made by depicting senselessness on the battlefield are promptly countered by melodrama and sentimentality. True suffering gives way to teenage angst. Because of these tendencies, Gundam as a whole is shackled to its more adolescent underpinnings, with giant robots as nothing more than a proxy for having superpowers.

Iron-Blooded Orphans defies this trend and is one of the stronger submissions to the Gundam franchise. Driven more by the characters than the machines, IBO uses past suffering as a backdrop rather than a plot device. The story centers on Tekkadan, a mercenary band composed of child soldiers who have rebelled against their former overlords. Led by Orga Itsuka, this misfit collection of human debris must now face a society indifferent to their struggles. In the process, they discover a sense of belonging and camaraderie that they have never experienced.

With this as a backdrop, IBO is far grittier than most Gundam series. There is no glory in what the children of Tekkadan do; it is an act of survival, not honor. This can be seen most clearly in Mikazuki Argus, the ace pilot of the company. Unlike many protagonists he does not view his opponents as rivals. They are obstacles, nothing more, and he will crush them without hesitation or remorse. So it is with the rest of Tekkadan, desperately fighting to continue living in an apathetic world.

The Good:

The inherent quality of the plot. Despite the inadequacies of the execution (more on that below), I would argue that IBO has one of the strongest Gundam stories to date. The essence of the series is anti-heroic. Combat is not admirable, idealism can be dangerous, and determination does not always win the day. Nowhere is this seen more clearly than in the ascension and demise of Tekkadan.

As the story begins, we are treated to a familiar narrative: a downtrodden group finds an inner strength, rebels against the established order, and will now change the world. However, Tekkadan is composed of uneducated children, wily in combat but inept at intrigue and politics. While early on their strengths are enough to carry the day, it was blind luck that led them to a kindly patron in the Turbines, a conscience in Kudelia, and diplomatic backing from Makanai. This sort of fortune does not continue forever, and soon Tekkadan found itself in over its head. Having risen into the ranks of power, they came into contact with those who knew how to wield it before they themselves were prepared. Their boldness was an unwitting challenge to the greater forces of the Earth sphere. Seeing this coming, Biscuit urged Orga to restraint. But with his unfortunate passing there was nobody left in Tekkadan to keep it from plunging forward into disaster.

It is in this final segment that IBO is at its strongest. The narrative is uncompromising: an intrepid spirit alone is not enough to overcome any obstacle. While we have come to believe in our heroes, as they have come to believe in themselves, there is no last-second miracle. The resources and planning of their enemies, as well as their willingness to use unscrupulous means, prove to be too much. And so ends Tekkadan, with a last stand of its greatest warriors, guarding the exodus of the rest as they seek asylum and anonymity on Earth.

But what threatens to be a dismal conclusion is ameliorated by the subsequent events. Although our heroes fell, it was not entirely in vain. Gjallarhorn was not defeated, but the strife caused by McGillis and Tekkadan did force it to restructure and become more accountable for its actions. Human debris, formerly a blind spot for most of society, was thrust into the limelight and abolished. Even though Tekkadan itself may have failed, it is not forgotten. This was a surprisingly satisfying end, offering hope while not betraying the ethos of the series.

In addition to the story, the depiction of combat adds weight to the view that strife is not glorious. In most mecha series the fights feel clean, antiseptic, distanced from the human element. In IBO the fights have a sense of dirty desperation. The fighting continues until the pilots are beaten and bloodied, their suits in shambles. The ragged edges, the dripping oils, and the shuddering half-functional maneuvers all contribute to the feeling that this is not merely for show, but an engagement of life and death. While there are many examples, several of Mikazuki's battles come to mind: his annihilation of Carta Issue, the dismantling of the Mobile Armor, and his last desperate stand all exemplify the merciless, animalistic scramble that is IBO's war. Links to scenes: 1, 2, 3.

This brings us back to Mikazuki Argus. Having seen multiple Gundam series, it becomes an expected trope that the top pilot is a cold and emotionally distant killing machine, with nothing but the mission on his mind. However, inevitably, it is discovered that he has a good heart underneath and it has only been repressed by his tragic past. An ideal vessel for the adolescent male viewers to self-insert and fantasize with. Mikazuki is nothing of the sort. A true case of emotional damage he is devoid of any internal moral compass, only beholden to Orga who acts as his anchor and handler. Mikazuki is composed but fanatical in his devotion and is unfazed even by his later progressive paralysis from excessive use of the Alaya-Vijnana system in combat. As he tells Orga: "Just tell me what to do and who to kill. I will remove all the obstacles before you." He is completely broken, but is a far more compelling character for it.

"Thank y-"

The Bad:

If I had to pinpoint one crucial failing of IBO, it is the lack of consistency and subtlety in storytelling and character development. My exposition of the themes and plot above come only after extensive review and contemplation; during the actual viewing of the series I was lost.

First, while IBO can boast many outstanding scenes, the bulk of the episodes between these moments were implemented poorly. The pattern was often the same: in preparation for a key situation we are suddenly introduced to characters, organizations, or technologies with which we had little or no previous awareness. Given a short run up, we have little time to incorporate them into our understanding. And once they had served their purpose, they are gone, never to be heard from again. Mobile Armor, Dainsleifs, the orbital Earth colonies, the separatist Mars groups, Makanai, and the elections of Arbrau just to name a few.

This weakness in storytelling also extends to the characters of the series. IBO has an ambitiously large cast, but is unable to adequately support them all. We hardly get to know most of them, good or bad. Take for instance Rustal Elion, commander of the Arianrhod fleet. As the primary antagonist of the end of the series, one would expect us to know more about him. Yet, he is only given a cursory introduction. With no prior development, we can only be left confused as he is first presented as a regressive-but-respectable member of Gjallarhorn, to an underhanded tactician willing to exploit banned technologies, to an effective leader that heads a reformed Gjallarhorn in wake of the events of the series. If the writers had been more skillful I would take these to be dynamic facets of a complicated character, but instead they feel disjointed and opportunistic.

Nowhere is this lack of development felt more strongly than with the members of Tekkadan itself. Despite having 50 episodes to work with, most of them still felt more like stand-ins. This is especially devastating when many of them begin to die in the final arc, and I did not know who some of them were. It is not enough to focus on a character for a scant few episodes while they are "important." Without the small touches that endear us, the non-essential points of development that remind us of who they are, we cannot invest in them as an audience.

As this two year saga comes to an end, I find myself both impressed at the scope of the narrative and frustrated by its inexpert execution. Its strong themes, battles, and death scenes (Lafter...) were often lost amid the disorganized wash of events. However, the series stayed true to itself and stuck the landing, being engaging up until the last scene. It is a worthy submission to the genre and I look forward to future Gundam series if they have as much heart as this one did.

Shigurui has been on my to watch list for a while now and you made it sound like a pretty exciting watch. I watched the trailer just now and one shot in there is already pretty explicit. I didn't think it was that violent, actually.
    - - - Updated - - -
    The entrails being CGI is probably worse than the shot itself, but yeah, that's pretty violent. As long as it's not more disgusting stuff like the chelsea smile someone's getting in the trailer it might actually be a nice change of pace though.
    I guess that depends really. I didn't find the chelsea smile particularly disgusting but there were other scenes where I totally did. I actually wanted to, and at first did, stagger watching it because of that, but after several episodes I was just hooked. It's true, however, that because of the gore it certainly isn't a show for everyone even if you like slower paced stuff.