Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Okay? I'm saying that at some point, they're being unreasonable. Where do we draw that line? Obviously preventing anyone from ever flying is clearly crossing the line. Infringing on the rights of a few people based on their skin color? Is that where we draw the line? If not, then where? The current line seems to be crossing where it should be.
    I do not have a issue with profiling if it is done lawfully and fair. It can be a effective and useful tool. Like I have said before, my wife who looks middle eastern nationality, gets pulled aside just about every time we fly and gets checked out closely. She does not like it. but understands it. I would say unreasonable is longer than a couple hrs. In the OP's case, they seem to have taken more time than they needed to. Then again, I am not sure what the holdup was. So until I do know, I think it is reasonable to expect some pretty damn annoying wait times if you are flying to certain places.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    They do not know that until they do.
    Ah but they can't screen everyone, can they? So who they choose to screen is highly relevant. Screening the wrong people is a waste of resources that could be used screening the right people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Still better than waiting 4 hours at emergency

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do not have a issue with profiling if it is done lawfully and fair. It can be a effective and useful tool. Like I have said before, my wife who looks middle eastern nationality, gets pulled aside just about every time we fly and gets checked out closely. She does not like it. but understands it. I would say unreasonable is longer than a couple hrs. In the OP's case, they seem to have taken more time than they needed to. Then again, I am not sure what the holdup was. So until I do know, I think it is reasonable to expect some pretty damn annoying wait times if you are flying to certain places.
    The problem with profiling isn't just moral, it is also the fact that it actually makes it easier for the security to be breached. If the terrorists know (and, obviously, they do) that preferentially people of the Middle Eastern origin are going to be screened and detained, then they will simply send in people with a different origin - and those people, actually, will experience less difficulty penetrating the system, than if the safety measures were applied equally to everyone.

Same thing as with torture: you hope to get information, but in the end you get misinformation, which only leads to heavier casualties.

Such obvious and naive approaches simply do not work, they are very exploitable, and "professional" terrorists are masters at exploiting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

For some reason, people in these jobs are the absolute worst people.
    I have no idea how but I've known people going through customs and immigration both.
    And read alot about it. It seems like a statistic people have even reported on.

The most self-loathing people get these jobs and seem to use them to inflict their misery on others.
    I think there needs to be a strong push for a reform of the entire process.

The comment that had me raising a brow, is my friend says:
    "One of them asked me if I was hungry. I said yeah, I was. So he offered me a choice of those little boxed cereals. I selected Fruit Loops. He actually >demanded< to know why I had chosen them, like it was some kind of crime to pick them. I wanted to ask him what the fuck his problem was, but I knew that'd be suicide."

Yep, cause only bad people choose Fruit Loops? Mind you, this guy *is* a fruit loop, in a good way.
    So it makes total sense that he chose those to me.

But seriously, "You want some cereal?"
    "Sure."
    "WHY DID YOU PICK THIS? WHY NOT THIS OTHER ONE?"

What the fuck?

Also, as much as I dislike him. People blame Trump for all of this happening.
    While I blame him for the intensity of it occurring, it is an issue that has been going on for a long time.
    It's just being reported on alot more now because of him.
    And of course, he is making it alot worse, making these people feel vindicated in acting like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhekk View Post
    The TSA is pretty garbage. The best thing to do is just pay extra for the fast-pass bullshit they have.
    That wont help. This guy was part of the Global Entry Program, which specifically flags you as a "pre-approved, low risk traveler", and he still got nailed for a "special screening". The guy is an American born citizen, and 10 year career NASA scientist.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    That wont help. This guy was part of the Global Entry Program, which specifically flags you as a "pre-approved, low risk traveler", and he still got nailed for a "special screening". The guy is an American born citizen, and 10 year career NASA scientist.......
    Not to mention even getting into the program requires a ton of being scrutinized and time investment, a fee, and needs to be renewed every 5 years with the whole process needing to be repeated.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Mage View Post
    For some reason, people in these jobs are the absolute worst people.
    I have no idea how but I've known people going through customs and immigration both.
    And read alot about it. It seems like a statistic people have even reported on.

The most self-loathing people get these jobs and seem to use them to inflict their misery on others.
    I think there needs to be a strong push for a reform of the entire process.

The comment that had me raising a brow, is my friend says:
    "One of them asked me if I was hungry. I said yeah, I was. So he offered me a choice of those little boxed cereals. I selected Fruit Loops. He actually >demanded< to know why I had chosen them, like it was some kind of crime to pick them. I wanted to ask him what the fuck his problem was, but I knew that'd be suicide."

Yep, cause only bad people choose Fruit Loops? Mind you, this guy *is* a fruit loop, in a good way.
    So it makes total sense that he chose those to me.

But seriously, "You want some cereal?"
    "Sure."
    "WHY DID YOU PICK THIS? WHY NOT THIS OTHER ONE?"

What the fuck?

Also, as much as I dislike him. People blame Trump for all of this happening.
    While I blame him for the intensity of it occurring, it is an issue that has been going on for a long time.
    It's just being reported on alot more now because of him.
    And of course, he is making it alot worse, making these people feel vindicated in acting like this.
    I guess those people believe that the more information they have, the better judgment they can make - even if 100% of the information they have is a useless garbage, such as what cereal the person likes, what he/she thinks of Jennifer Lopez and whether he/she sympathizes with ISIS (yeah, like anyone is going to honestly say, "Well, yes, yes I do").

I don't think Trump had much to do with it, to be honest; the strictness and paranoia of some officers in the airports has been vastly criticized ever since the terrorist scare started in 1995 or so. Trump simply gave the worst minority of them a boost of confidence.
    Last edited by May90; 2017-04-03 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Ah but they can't screen everyone, can they? So who they choose to screen is highly relevant.
    Like I said earlier - only screen Middle Eastern males. Profile them. Could not care less if it violates what they think are their "rights". And if they are not citizens of the USA and they hate us for that? So fucking what.

I am looking forward to when Trump prevails in the Supreme Court and then he does ban ALL Muslims from entering the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Nah, only people that play the Victim.
    You poor, poor thing, always surrounded by people playing the victim wherever you go.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    The US has a relatively strict vetting process in place and some would tell you that thats not enough
    No, the problem is that they lack training and are scared out of their minds, reacting like this to constant fear is normal human behaviour.
    It is the norm for security personnel in the US because of the weapons drifting around everywhere and thus won't seem odd to those in charge.

Sounds like they needs to stop acting in a manner that makes them suspicious.
    Last edited by Rox the sox; 2017-04-03 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    Calling someone an idiot for believing statically proven stats? Nah bro, you are the idiot.
    You did just proveyour inability to understand statistics.
    What you call "statically proven facts"? Yes, that is nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    So what, you blame extreme precautions as a chance to act out frustrations?
    Extreme precautions is right. What they are doing is counterproductive.

Resulting in this nonsense.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Like I said earlier - only screen Middle Eastern males. Profile them. Could not care less if it violates what they think are their "rights". And if they are not citizens of the USA and they hate us for that? So fucking what.

I am looking forward to when Trump prevails in the Supreme Court and then he does ban ALL Muslims from entering the USA.
    How do you tell that they are Middle Eastern? A swatch of colour samples? No, it'd be country of origin, which would be a giant invitation for terrorist organisations to either send people with a non-Middle Eastern country of origin or just forge the passport. You'd literally be providing them with an easy way to avoid detection.

Not that it's all that relevant given that most of the recent terrorist attacks in the US have come from US citizens.

But hahahahaha, good one on Trump. If you think Trump is going to deliver a Muslim ban you're the biggest chump in the country. You've been had, sucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wixwix View Post
    Both the UK and France have massive problems, especially with terrorism. The U.S. does not. :thinking:

And European countries being retarded when it comes to security is not a good argument for why the U.S. should be equally retarded.
    Or maybe the Atlantic ocean has something to do with it. :thinking:

How do you tell that they are Middle Eastern?
    By how they look.

Deleted
    So op is angry that people do their job, take aitport sec seriously? QQ moar

Deleted
    This is what happens at airpots sometimes... deal with it?

How do you tell that they are Middle Eastern? A swatch of colour samples? No, it'd be country of origin, which would be a giant invitation for terrorist organisations to either send people with a non-Middle Eastern country of origin or just forge the passport. You'd literally be providing them with an easy way to avoid detection.

Not that it's all that relevant given that most of the recent terrorist attacks in the US have come from US citizens.

But hahahahaha, good one on Trump. If you think Trump is going to deliver a Muslim ban you're the biggest chump in the country. You've been had, sucker.
    It's ransath. Lowest common denominator human filth that somehow figured out how to use a keyboard.

Deleted
    Feel sorry for you OP. I've flown a couple of times, all domestic and I cannot stand airports. The people working at these places couldn't be any more undisciplined, unsympathetic and uneducated. More so, their security is balls, the level of incompetence staggering and the perverse screening a farce.

As someone has said, smoke and mirrors. Make people "feel" safe by overpaying some prejudiced perverts to cop a feel.