Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Mage Tower Strategy Thread

Post strategies for each specialization in the thread. Affliction guy knocks you back each time he hits you and hits like a truck.. tried twice and died very fast.

trying for afflic, the ring slows him but he ends up getting a movement speed buff that makes it not important

P1: I feel it's bugged. He drops puddles that slow you but not him. Only way I got out of P1 was with the Corruption Ring, Gateway, Burning Rush, Portal, the whole 9 yrds.

P2: He starts summoning a ton of adds. He also summons a hand that casts a spell that must be interrupted. This cast is on a shorter CD than our interrupt so it must die before that happens. And lastly the guy from P1 gets back up and continues to chase you. Have not made it far into this phase let alone dps the boss.

Not sure if it is a bug or not, but the hands can be banished (they will still try to cast, but the cast will not go through).

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    P2: He starts summoning a ton of adds. He also summons a hand that casts a spell that must be interrupted. This cast is on a shorter CD than our interrupt so it must die before that happens. And lastly the guy from P1 gets back up and continues to chase you. Have not made it far into this phase let alone dps the boss.
    Just checked it out before I go to bed. Having green fire macros/keybinds flashbacks. I got as far as you did. Didn't see if the phase 1 guy has the same stacking speed/dmg buff in phase 2. If so, ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchatized View Post
    Not sure if it is a bug or not, but the hands can be banished (they will still try to cast, but the cast will not go through).
    I don't think this is a bug. Every class has some kind of advantage in these challenges.

got him to aggro my infernal for one pull and didnt do it since then.. intentional or?
    Last edited by penquinn; 2017-04-03 at 09:28 AM.

Just completed this. I'll try to be as detailed as I can with my strategy.

Preface: I was using Sephuz and Sarcolash. With Mortal Coil it was a big peel/dps increase procced very often.
    Talent Set Up: 3-2-2-2-2-2-1.
    Armory for proof: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...llipsyz/simple

Phase 1: Basically just kite him around. I used the whole rocky outside area instead of staying in the green area like my first couple tries. Pretty easy, not much to explain imo.

Phase 2: Dot up brother. Seed (with sow) on each pack as they come out. Mass aoe on his face. With Sarcolash all of this is very easy to kite. When add pops up, Cntrl+1 to send my fel hunter towards it as I CAREFULLY make my way over so as to not pass through Captain 1-shot. When the cast is about to go off, Spell lock, dump 2-3 UAs and drain it dead. Sephuz proc here is amazing. Rinse and repeat this, your felhunter will be able to interrupt 1 cast every hand and you SHOULD be able to kill it within the 2nd cast.

Phase 3: This is the phase where, if not handled properly, you will lose your shit and die. He will begin putting summoning circles on the ground which will be announced as all other mechanics. When this happens, you need to make sure to get to the circle and stand in it for a couple of seconds. It will make a sort of effect around you when it interrupts. This will stop the huge faceless/General Vezzax add from ever coming out. When the brother wakes up for "the last time" I popped infernal, drums, potion and just went ham with seed of corruption. Once it was down to just the 2 brothers, it was cake. When the walking brother dies, the hands stop spawning so that's nice.

Just need to make sure that you are paying attention to the compounding mechanics as they come up. If you are too focused on hands and forget about Summoning Circles, you're gonna have a bad time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am i missing something? my tugar bugged out and only had 12.4m hp. Killed him in about 4 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    Am i missing something? my tugar bugged out and only had 12.4m hp. Killed him in about 4 seconds
    That's definitely a bug, mine had 120m and is fairly brutal. I wish I could encounter that bug.

It's also strange because these things don't scale with ilvl so I can't imagine why that bug would happen.

Completed all 3 (affliction, destruction, and demonology) challenges. Will post a short guide momentarily.

Writhing-Kil'jaeden(US) for armory proof.

Affliction:
    Talents - Malefic Grasp / Contagion / Circle / Sow the Seeds / Burning Rush / GoSup / Soul Conduit
    Pet - Doomguard
    Legendaries - Sacrolash's Dark Strike is pretty much mandatory for this fight. I can only assume the purple puddles on the floor were meant to slow the boss, and they are potentially bugged. As a result, the slow from the ring is necessary unless you can DPS fast enough while kiting perfectly with a combination of Gateway, Demonic Circle, and Burning Rush.

P1: Kite the boss using Burning Rush while maintaining the Corruption slow from Sacrolash's ring. Should the boss melee you, he will one shot you as his stacks get progressively higher.

P2: When the melee boss reaches ~30%, he will become immune and begin regenerating health. During this time, you are able to attack Raest. I suggest using your potion, Drums of Fury, and saving both Soul Shards and Reap stacks for this burst phase. Additionally, three waves of 4 shadow fiends will spawn which you should Seed of Corruption (which will slow them) and use the Soul Flame damage to continue bursting Raest.

P3: When the melee boss returns to full HP, Raest will become immune, and the melee add will begin chasing you again. During this phase there are two extra mechanics in addition to the original phase 1. The first is a portal which MUST be interrupted by your Doomguard and nuked before you are overwhelmed by additional portals or the melee add's speed stacks. The second, is a rune on the floor that you must stand on and soak as it expires, otherwise it will spawn a Faceless add which will most certainly one shot you.

P4: Once the melee add reaches 30%, you will be able to attack Raest again for the remainder of the fight. You will get quest completion upon killing Raest, although I did end up killing both in the end. I suggest nuking Raest while continuing to kite the remaining adds and nuking any portals which spawn.
    Last edited by Writhing; 2017-04-03 at 10:07 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    7+ Year Old Account
    Afflict.
    886 iLv
    No utility legys - I only have Hood of Distain, and Strets Shackles.
    Infernal was able to tank Karam while I only got hit once in phase one (gateway ftw). Hurt but managed to get him down to about 30% ish (I wasnt keeping track tbh).
    > Was just keeping dots up, and topping infernal off, dropping UAs and Draining when I had a chance/shards.
    Karam became immune and second phase started, Raest summoned like 12 adds and started casting shadow bolts.
    > Attempted to kite adds, theyre maybe 75% speed and they seem to have a decent chunk of health but I think Sow the Seeds might assist here, and Selphuz would ensure you could keep range.
    Would think this is a fairly straightforward kite but Karam comes back up with 60% health - after maybe 30 seconds. Unsure if this is time or %age based.
    Just as I died I got the emote about a Demonic Hand that begins to cast Grasp from Beyond - 4 mil aoe damage. Was planning on unending resolving through it if I couldnt interrupt.

Unsure how Im going to attempt to balance tanking Karam in the second phase, and having interrupts on 4 million damage. Maybe might have to eat one while trying to burn Karam, before switching to Doomguard to help keep me alive? Would strongly suggest Drums of fury for everyone for that phase.

banish the hands and then burn it down if you manage to get far enough away from 1 shot guy

Completed all 3 (affliction, destruction, and demonology) challenges. Will post a short guide momentarily.

Affliction:
    Talents - Malefic Grasp / Contagion / Circle / Sow the Seeds / Burning Rush / GoSup / Soul Conduit
    Pet - Doomguard
    Legendaries - Sacrolash's Dark Strike is pretty much mandatory for this fight. I can only assume the purple puddles on the floor were meant to slow the boss, and they are potentially bugged. As a result, the slow from the ring is necessary unless you can DPS fast enough while kiting perfectly with a combination of Gateway, Demonic Circle, and Burning Rush.

P1: Kite the boss using Burning Rush while maintaining the Corruption slow from Sacrolash's ring. Should the boss melee you, he will one shot you as his stacks get progressively higher. You may also make use of your Doomguard's cripple here to further slow the melee boss.

P2: When the melee boss reaches ~30%, he will become immune and begin regenerating health. During this time, you are able to attack Raest. I suggest using your potion, Drums of Fury, and saving both Soul Shards and Reap stacks for this burst phase. Additionally, three waves of 4 shadow fiends will spawn which you should Seed of Corruption (which will slow them) and use the Soul Flame damage to continue bursting Raest.

P3: When the melee boss returns to full HP, Raest will become immune, and the melee add will begin chasing you again. During this phase there are two extra mechanics in addition to the original phase 1. The first is a portal which MUST be interrupted by your Doomguard and nuked before you are overwhelmed by additional portals or the melee add's speed stacks. I've been informed that these portals can be banished, but I certainly wouldn't take the chance with being overwhelmed by multiple of them being up at once. The second, is a rune on the floor that you must stand on and soak as it expires, otherwise it will spawn a Faceless add which will most certainly one shot you.

P4: Once the melee add reaches 30%, you will be able to attack Raest again for the remainder of the fight. You will get quest completion upon killing Raest, although I did end up killing both in the end. I suggest nuking Raest while continuing to kite the remaining adds and nuking any portals which spawn.

- - - Updated - - -

Affliction:
    Pet - Doomguard

P1: Kite the boss using Burning Rush while maintaining the Corruption slow from Sacrolash's ring. Should the boss melee you, he will one shot you as his stacks get progressively higher. You may also make use of your Doomguard's cripple here to further slow the melee boss.

P3: When the melee boss returns to full HP, Raest will become immune, and the melee add will begin chasing you again. During this phase there are two extra mechanics in addition to the original phase 1. The first is a portal which MUST be interrupted by your Doomguard and nuked before you are overwhelmed by additional portals or the melee add's speed stacks. I've been informed that these portals can be banished, but I certainly wouldn't take the chance with being overwhelmed by multiple of them being up at once. The second, is a rune on the floor that you must stand on and soak as it expires, otherwise it will spawn a Faceless add which will most certainly one shot you.

P4: Once the melee add reaches 30%, you will be able to attack Raest again for the remainder of the fight. You will get quest completion upon killing Raest, although I did end up killing both in the end. I suggest nuking Raest while continuing to kite the remaining adds and nuking any portals which spawn..

Quote Originally Posted by dawawe View Post
    well uh... congrats ?

Homophobia is so gay.

Writhing-Kil'jaeden(US) for armory proof (finished around 2:30)

Affliction took me 3 tries (difficult to make the tight DPS check in both P1 and P2 if you do not have Sacrolash's ring).
    Destruction took me 6 tries (to be fair I wasn't paying attention, this is by far the easiest of the three).
    Demonology took me 5 tries (most difficult by far).

Please note that the challenges CANNOT be repeated, so I can't exactly recall the names correctly.

Affliction:
    Pet - Doomguard

Destruction:
    Talents - Backdraft / Reverse Entropy / Mortal Coil / Fire and Brimestone / Demon Skin / Grimoire of Supremacy / Wreak Havoc
    Pet - Doomguard
    Legendaries - None mandatory.

P1: The boss' casted spell will simply one shot you. This cast should be interrupted by your Doomguard silence. If this is not up, use either Mortal Coil, or a well timed Fear to stop the cast. You should Havoc the wyrm boss, but it is not necessary.

P2: The boss must continue to be interrupted during this phase. Use Fire and Brimstone (or Havoc) to destroy the eggs and totems which the boss spawns around him. Standing under the patches will cause the wyrm boss to lose his 9 stacks of reduced damage throughout the fight.

Once the actual boss dies, the wyrm will enrage, but you should be perfectly fine with Demon Skin. Save any remaining defensive or offensive skills if you find yourself having difficulties here, this fight has no important burst windows, and is a continuous repeat of P1 and P2.

Demonology:
    Talents - Demonic Calling / Improved Dreadstalkers / Demonic Circle / Power Trip / Demon Skin / Grimoire of Suipremacy / Summon Darkglare
    Pet - Doomguard
    Legendaries - None mandatory.

This fight has no phases, just a large number of mechanics which must be managed correctly in order to succeed.

Main Boss: Will begin channeling an AoE ability that will kill you almost immediately. You MUST crowd control her either by fear or stun to stop this damage. She will also throw spears which create pools of fel on the ground, but these can be ignored.

Axe-Thrower: Will begin fixating on you and will melee you for extreme amounts of damage, do not let him get close during this ability. He will also begin channeling a whirlwind which will pull you in and kill you very quickly, you must run out of range of this.

Caster: Will begin channeling a spell which cannot be interrupted until you break her damage shield (save TKC for breaking this shield). You must interrupt this ability.

General fight mechanics: 3 runes will spawn on the floor in varying sizes that must be ran over to negate. Prioritize running over the smaller ones as they will expire first and do massive damage. Additionally, a wall of Valkyrs will spawn in a random direction around the arena, stand where the gap is to avoid damage. Small glowing golden orbs will spawn around the area which will give you free health and can be used should you accidentally miss a mechanic. The main difficutly of this fight is that many mechanics overlap or time to be one after another. There are no important DPS checks or burn windows, this fight is simply attrition. After a certain number of mechanics have been dealt with, the bosses will no longer cast special abilities aside from the caster's shield and ability which must be interrupted.

<INSERT RANDOM TEXT HERE TO ALLOW MULTI-POSTING IN GENERAL THREAD>

Thanks writhing.

About the main boss in the demonology challenge : I read that you had to CC her for the whole duration of her cast ? Or if you just stun her for even 1 sec, it will cancel the cast entirely ? Thanks.

Also, maybe a stupid question but... does the succubus' charm work ?

Homophobia is so gay.

So anyone tried with the other specs? interested in knowing some of the strats.

edit:Ah nvm, missed the above post while writing this, looks good.

So not that I will be able to beat this yet, but what was your item level for the Affliction side Writhing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jutath View Post
    So not that I will be able to beat this yet, but what was your item level for the Affliction side Writhing?
    Item level was around 912-915 depending on spec for all of them. I doubt these challenges are intended to be done with anything less than 900-905 ilvl.