Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Again, it's not uncommon at all for works of art to feature politics to a large level. The Count of Monte-Cristo is a large scaled indictment of the July Monarchy. HG Wells said countless times that ''The War of the Worlds'' was an allegory for colonialism. Before it became fashinoable to use ''Ride of the Walkyrie'' to show helicopters machine gunning Asians, ''Heart of Darkness'' was a charge against Leopold II.

Yeah print surely suffers because of "diversity".

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    Well no shit Einstein. No one wants a female Thor, nor a black teeny female Iron Man.
    Thank you. If they wanna diversify so much , they can create NEW characters that are females , not just take something that's been around for almost a century and slap a pair of boobs on it, and watch the publicity of the established character carry the abomination to some kind of relevance

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    There are plays that are kinda more seen as art then FF XIII (FFVI, I would not say, but XIII...)

You like anime, isn'it ? So I will give an example

In Attack on Titan, it was revealed recently that people called Edeans are persecuted by the Marleysians and forced to live in dilapidated urban areas while wearing armbands. Gee, is there some kind of subtle allusion there ?
    First off, I don't give a single fuck what other people think of art. You like FF6? Good for you. Not to my taste at all. Lightning Returns is 100x better to me.

Attack on Titan is kind of mediocre and I was waffling back and forth on not watching the second season. You shouldn't go around giving untagged spoilers to a 2 day old show btw. That's kind of a dick move.

For the record, "like" is a pretty strong word to describe my relationship with anime. I don't like anime. I don't hate anime either. I like things that don't suck, and some anime doesn't suck. A lot of anime is way more cringe than I can handle. I have very particular tastes in entertainment. I guess, to over generalize, I like works that deal with the human condition; an honest look at the good and bad parts of being human. Attack on Titan doesn't quite hit the right notes for me, because while it shows the negative aspects well, rage, fear, suffering; it does little to highlight the positives of being human. Without the contrast, it comes off as way too edgy for me, dark for the sake of being dark; not dark for the sake of the human spirit overcoming adversity. I also like it if there's an undertone of living a double life or being pulled in two different directions.

A movie that I really like is Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven. I like Sword Art Online, an anime, for very similar reasons, despite their wildly different genres.

Politics is at best a distraction from the things I like.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2017-04-03 at 12:29 PM.

Rewriting lore to fit a black Human Torch was terrible....making Human Torch black was terrible. Killing Wolverine, replacing him with a teen girl, girl Thor, WTF? It's as offensive as making Storm a white guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    'People didn’t want any more diversity'.

Gee, you think? People want good stories first and foremost. Nobody ever bought a comic book with this mental process in mind: "Hmm, this or that one? Oh, look, it's gender diversifying! God, since I love feminism so much, I think I'll get this one... oh boy, I feel very good about this purchase!"

But then, this is what happens when you think you have to avoid shitstorms by listening to feminists. Feminists don't give a shit about sales. All they care about is their agenda and public attention. Sometimes not in that order. And sometimes only one of those. But never sales. In fact, feminists would rather have sales plummet and ruin companies than not, because that gives them a feeling of empowerment.
    DC is far more diverse than Marvel and they have no sales issues because of the stories, this is just Marvel blaming their god awful writing on diversity. The best example of this is Iron man they created a new character out of thin air and made her the black female iron man. The problem with that is no one knows who she is and they have an established character in war machine that they have not developed that could have taken the mantle. Marvel is the poster child as to how to not do diversity force it down people's throat stories be dammed, people read comics for good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    First off, I don't give a single fuck what other people think of art. You like FF6? Good for you. Not to my taste at all. Lightning Returns is 100x better to me.

Attack on Titan is kind of mediocre and I was waffling back and forth on not watching the second season. You shouldn't go around giving untagged spoilers to a 2 day old show btw. That's kind of a dick move.

For the record, "like" is a pretty strong word to describe my relationship with anime. I don't like anime. I don't hate anime either. I like things that don't suck, and some anime doesn't suck. A lot of anime is way more cringe than I can handle. I have very particular tastes in entertainment. I guess, to over generalize, I like works that deal with the human condition; an honest look at the good and bad parts of being human. Attack on Titan doesn't quite hit the right notes for me, because while it shows the negative aspects well, rage, fear, suffering; it does little to highlight the positives of being human. With the contrast, it comes off as way too edgy for me, dark for the sake of being dark; not dark for the sake of the human spirit overcoming adversity. I also like it if there's an undertone of living a double life or being pulled in two different directions.

A movie that I really like is Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven. I like Sword Art Online, an anime, for very similar reasons, despite their wildly different genres.

Politics is at best a distraction from the things I like.
    It's not going to be until Season 3...

The ip's are going to hell to pander to sjw shit heads. Marvel has fallen from grace.

It's not going to be until Season 3...
    See, that's how little I know about Attack on Titan. To me, it would have been way better if Eren's main power wasn't emo rage. Like, if he drew his strength from love or hope, that would provide a much better contrast to the apocalyptic world and the merciless nature of the Titans. He's just a beast though; little better than the monsters he wants to destroy. That is boring to me.

Deleted
    Haven't comic book sales dropped fairly steadily, even before they went for diversity?

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    DC is far more diverse than Marvel and they have no sales issues because of the stories, this is just Marvel blaming their god awful writing on diversity. The best example of this is Iron man they created a new character out of thin air and made her the black female iron man. The problem with that is no one knows who she is and they have an established character in war machine that they have not developed that could have taken the mantle. Marvel is the poster child as to how to not do diversity force it down people's throat stories be dammed, people read comics for good stories.
    That was wtf too.

Maybe they should make new characters instead of changing already established characters.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The explanation about Titan and Titan shifts given post chapter 79 is incredibly political tinted, especially with the sledge-hammer subtle ''Edeans are victims of a genocide and are forced to wear armbands with a religious sign'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    The ip's are going to hell to pander to sjw shit heads. Marvel has fallen from grace.
    Oh careful, might offend them if you say their ideals are garbage :P
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Note that these are all "new" characters or gender/race swaps of old characters. In one way or another.

So suffice it to say, some of them worked and some didn't? Sounds like business as usual for comics.
    Basically, yeah. This whole thing is a non-story; some titles work, some don't, and the anti-SJWs who are just as mouthy and whiny as the SJWs will twist it around and thump their chests to declare themselves 'right' when this has been an ongoing thing for 50 years now. Ideas are tried, not all of them work, and the ones that do work stick around.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The explanation about Titan and Titan shifts given post chapter 79 is incredibly political tinted, especially with the sledge-hammer subtle ''Edeans are victims of a genocide and are forced to wear armbands with a religious sign'
    That does not surprise me. I already had a moderate-low opinion of Attack on Titan. I knew it would disappoint me further.

God these people are stupid. It's not that people hate female characters. It's that people hate politics being shoved down their throats.

I know some people around here will find this statement controversial, but to me, politicized art is not art. And when you have one of Fem Thor's villains dissing Feminism, only to have Fem Thor beat the fuck out of him while spouting Gamergate memes, people are going to react negatively. Goddamn these people are fucking stupid. It doesn't take a Quantum Rocket Surgeon to find out that ham fisted political dialogue is boring and stupid to most readers that partake in this shit to be entertained.

Get the fucking political messages out of your goddamn art, (or at least make it a hell of a lot more subtle) and you might just avoid this situation in the future.

Female characters that are complex and well written human beings are compelling. Political caricatures are not. Fucking shocking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Haven't comic book sales dropped fairly steadily, even before they went for diversity?
    Comic sales have never recovered from the 1996 crash, and sales saw a brief resurgence in the mid-00s during the peak of the comic book movie craze, but yeah, overall paper sales have been steadily dropping. That's why Marvel and DC have been working to diversify their audience, and Gabriel himself even mentioned in an update to the article that The Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, Moon-Girl, and Squirrel Girl all remain very popular (Ms. Marvel in particular regularly outperforms sales expectations and it's likely Champions will do the same with her as the team's leader) and won't be going anywhere.

So diversifying their roster and legacies aren't the problem despite what some fans think; in fact it's been proven since the 1980s that legacying has a much stronger chance of making a new character successful than just bringing them in under a new identity altogether, and Thor's consistent sales and fan appeal have put the whole argument about gender-flipped legacies in the dirt for all but the most stubborn holdouts on both sides. The problem, just like when the New 52's sales took a nosedive, is an overabundance of crossover events and interconnected plot arcs that pressure fans into buying more titles than there are on their pull list coupled with poor writing on many of these titles (for example, as much as I like Riri Williams as a character, her creative team doesn't really have the spark they need to get Ironheart over the way Kamala's team got her over). Just in 2016 there was something to the tune of one big crossover event a month, and there's no sign of that cooling off this year.

- - - Updated - - -

That does not surprise me. I already had a moderate-low opinion of Attack on Titan. I knew it would disappoint me further.
    To be fair, Attack on Titan's writing wasn't ever exactly its strong point. It's got a lot of good ideas but sloppy execution, something the anime staff does their best to mitigate when they adapt the manga arcs.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    This guy gets it.

Also, holy shit, I didn't know they actually made Donald Trump into a villain.

This guy gets it.

Also, holy shit, I didn't know they actually made Donald Trump into a villain.
    The KKK, Nixon and Reagan were vilain long before

Hint: Futurama Nixon was not exactly an endorsment of him.