Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Blizzard Successfully Defeats Bossland in Court

Well ladies and gentlemen it looks like Bossland has finally been beaten in court at the cost of $8 Million+

Thoughts? source below

For those of you new to this topic Bossland makes cheats for Overwatch and WoW the most famous of these being "Honorbuddy"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39490317
    Last edited by mmocafde98d0b8; 2017-04-04 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Additions

10+ Year Old Account
    They wont see this money tho. Bossland will just rename itself under a new company name.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    That's only for the US though, right? Or am I understanding that wrong?

Deleted

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    According to the article (i hope i am reading that right) they have also lost in the UK and Germany.

Further more the UK have blocked sales as i am from the UK i will copy the message.

On Thursday, March 16, 2017, Bossland GmbH, and its directors Mr Zwetan Letschew and Mr Patrick Kirk admitted, in and for the purposes of proceedings before the High Court of England and Wales, that the sale of its software which it sells as Honorbuddy, Gatherbuddy, Demonbuddy, Hearthbuddy, Stormbuddy and Watchover Tyrant, to any person resident in the United Kingdom, constitutes an infringement of Blizzard’s intellectual property rights and an inducement to players of Blizzard’s games to breach their agreements with Blizzard. Accordingly, Bossland and its directors are no longer permitted to advertise or offer for sale such software to UK residents.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    They wont see this money tho. Bossland will just rename itself under a new company name.
    You don't just rename your company and then "Poof" all debts are gone lol, I'm sure the countless companies that have gone under might have done that if it was true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GKLeatherCraft View Post
    You don't just rename your company and then "Poof" all debts are gone lol, I'm sure the countless companies that have gone under might have done that if it was true.
    Errr...they do. It's called phoenixism.

Botters are so used to just making a new acc when their old one gets banned that they think it works IRL too kek

Quote Originally Posted by j0ust View Post
    Then, if that happens, Blizzard will just sue them, again and again, however long it takes, until at last they break them...

*I've seen the Kil'jaeden 7.2 files too much*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    If you dont show on court, you auto-lose. But they can only get the money out of you if you have any in that country (like some american bank account).

This type of auto-win if not showing is illegall in quite a few countrys.

I think you buy a game intended for humans to play, a human should play it. But that must be crazy talk.

If you dont show on court, you auto-lose. But they can only get the money out of you if you have any in that country (like some american bank account).

This type of auto-win if not showing is illegall in quite a few countrys.
    Failing to appear in court following reasonable notice never reflects favorably on you and your interests, anywhere in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    They *fire* everyone and sell the company to some fake name. Then the fake name fills up bankruptcy and the company need to take the money from a fake person.
    Illegall companys do this a lot.

Unless blizzard sued the person in charge of it.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ust View Post
    Shame individuals can't do this, heh.

Icaras you owe money on taxes!
    "No I'm not Icaras...I'm Peter now"
    Dammit not again.

Ok that burger costs $2 mr Icaras
    "Not me, I'm....I'm Franz now"
    Aw...nobody ever pays for anything now...
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    Ironic, they didn't win anything though, other than some legal paperwork in the U.S.

Although the German locale is somewhat under American juristiction because of good diplomatic relations with the. It is essentially a sattelite state in a way but.

They wont see the money. Nor will it likely cease to exist.

Company will prob. declare bankruptcy, reform and continue.

A process that takes a day in my country. Besides, they sued the company as far as I look at that article. In other words, it is 99% likely, that nothing was really won.

Bossland was already beaten when german courts declared some major points of their software illegal.
    The US verdict is highly irrelevant for Bossland as the money cannot be collected (since US punitive damages are not considered legal in the EU), but it obviously sends a signal to all bot makers.

Don't think the impact of this win is going to be big.

It's in the US, not in Germany where the company operates. And it remains to be seen whether Blizzard would have won in Germany.

I am not seeing much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Bossland was already beaten when german courts declared some major points of their software illegal.
    The US verdict is highly irrelevant for Bossland as the money cannot be collected (since US punitive damages are not considered legal in the EU), but it obviously sends a signal to all bot makers.
    Part of the signal is that if you write a good bot you will sell tens of thousands of copies. That's a target worth pursuing full time.

They *fire* everyone and sell the company to some fake name. Then the fake name fills up bankruptcy and the company need to take the money from a fake person.
    Illegall companys do this a lot.

Unless blizzard sued the person in charge of it.
    Now ofc i don't about this in the outside europe, but most if not all EU countries including Germany as far as i know have laws against practises like these. Fireing ppl itself can be a huge problem in EU and is often impossible without giving the employees a big sack of money, else it will have to go trough court to get permission to fire ppl. Also there is often direct personal liability for the company owner when the reason for bankruptcy are business practises which are against the law.

Now ofcourse shell companies that are setup to engage in shady business practises have strawman to take the fall when it all goes boom, but bossland is pretty much setup as a legitimate business, so they just can't blowup the business and avoid personal liability unless they play this thing out by the rules.

This pretty much changes nothing for Bossland. At worst he'll just never be able to travel to the US again. The only reason they can't sell in Germany anymore is because they're located there. They don't have to obey any other country's rulings.

But you do

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    OP, you're not allowed to write about it, I made a similar thread a while back about the court case but it got shutdown (Just like Bossland ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) )