Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    When I say mental issues do you think retarded only or something? It's not as if retarded is the only mental issue or that a psychopath with a history of issues can't also be smart.
    A person can be evil. Period. As in they do not regard any life to be sacred. You can call it a mental defect if you want, but to me, a person should only be able to use a mental defect defense to the extent it can be proven they did not know what they were doing. Which is not very common at all. Most murders know exactly what they are doing when they kill someone. And those, you are not going to change their minds thru therapy.

Deleted
    Pfft, that's one afternoon in China.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    Despicable. No civil society uses the deathpenalty anymore.
    Who ever said the south of the USA was civilized?

Deleted
    Why does it take ~20 year for their sentence to be carried out?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    The idea is to wait. Maybe some new evidence comes to light and proves their innocense eventually, maybe some of the witnesses change their minds or are proven liars. Maybe anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Capital punishment is wrong on all levels I say, regardless the crime committed.

That isn't to say I think none death punishments are sufficient.

I firmly believe if you kill a person in cold blood, you should be left to rot in jail for the rest of your days. Not a cushiony one, 4 walls, a bed, you own exposed wc, wooden chair and desk. Some liberties, such as a hour outside a day in a empty courtyard - no equipment no basketballs etc, and a limited supply of paper and a pen. No sense in someone going insane and losing their mind as to who they are. Oh also standard nutrional meals, nothing fancy just a meal consisting of what the body needs
    Sure thing! Wait, what do you mean taxpayer money is funding this? lolnope

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    A person can be evil. Period. As in they do not regard any life to be sacred. You can call it a mental defect if you want, but to me, a person should only be able to use a mental defect defense to the extent it can be proven they did not know what they were doing. Which is not very common at all. Most murders know exactly what they are doing when they kill someone. And those, you are not going to change their minds thru therapy.

That's a mental disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Slirith View Post
    Sure thing! Wait, what do you mean taxpayer money is funding this? lolnope
    Worth it as far as I'm concerned,

I'm not religious in the slightest, but no one has the right to take someone elses life, even in revenge, sorry I mean justice

Deleted
    I feel like a lot of people are missing the point, the problem isn't how many people they're killing or how quickly, it's how they're killing them. If what I have heard is true, this chemical cocktail they use can make the victim feel like they're burning alive from the inside while paralysed. I dunno how much truth is in that, but if there's any, that isn't just capital punishment, that's torture.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    No one worthy of belonging to a civil society commits anything calling for a death penalty.
    And that is irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I feel like a lot of people are missing the point, the problem isn't how many people they're killing or how quickly, it's how they're killing them. If what I have heard is true, this chemical cocktail they use can make the victim feel like they're burning alive from the inside while paralysed. I dunno how much truth is in that, but if there's any, that isn't just capital punishment, that's torture.

And unconstitutional as well,

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    The defendant's lawyer will tell the defendant that the more time that passes the better the odds of them getting an acquittal. Witnesses die or move away, evidence is lost, people forget, the victim's family isn't as mad and so on. So the defendant's lawyer delays the trial in anyway he can. Also if you are put on death row it means you'll get one or two automatic appeals.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Not that I am condoning the death penalty here, but the idea that we just treat psycho/sociopaths also seems just as foreign.

How do you propose treating sociopathy being that there is no evidence based treatments that do anything for them?

15+ Year Old Account
    By those rigorous standards all personality traits and all behaviors are mental disorders. And if that's the view of humans you're operating with, the term "mental disorder" is meaningless.

Some people are clearly sick. Hearing voices telling them to kill, believing they're the target of a conspiracy and have to kill in defense, psychotic to the point of being feral.

Others just genuinely don't value the life of other humans and would kill them for a payday.

Can't just state that all humans who knowingly hurt others do so because of mental illness.
    Last edited by Revi; 2017-04-04 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    By those rigorous standards all personality traits and all behaviors are mental disorders. And if that's the view of humans you're operating with, the term "mental disorder" is meaningless.

Some people are clearly sick. Hearing voices telling them to kill, believing they're the target of a conspiracy and have to kill in defense, psychotic to the point of being feral.

Others just genuinely don't value the life of other humans and would kill them for a payday.

Can't just state that all humans who knowingly hurt others do so because of mental illness.

Let's say there's a high prevalence of frontal lobe damage in killers. I think estimates of murderwrs were like almost 3/4. How do you treat them? You don't you kind of just lock them in but killing them because they're defective seems ww2ish

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The defendant's lawyer will tell the defendant that the more time that passes the better the odds of them getting an acquittal. Witnesses die or move away, evidence is lost, people forget, the victim's family isn't as mad and so on. So the defendant's lawyer delays the trial in anyway he can. Also if you are put on death row it means you'll get one or two automatic appeals.
    Makes sense, thanks for getting back to me

15+ Year Old Account
    Let's say there's a high prevalence of frontal lobe damage in killers. I think estimates of murderwrs were like almost 3/4. How do you treat them? You don't you kind of just lock them in but killing them because they're defective seems ww2ish
    There's a wide discrepancy in murder rates between different countries, different cities, different social classes and a lot of other factors. Poor impulse control and temper from a less functioning frontal lobe doesn't seem predict murder very well.

And even for those who do kill solely because they can't control their temper, does the state of their frontal lobe change how we deal with them? We'd essentially be giving reduced sentencing based on how poor their impulse control is. It's a part of who they are, so giving them shorter sentences seems like a bad idea because they're the exact same person when they get out of jail as when they committed the murder.

I don't have a good answer to it, but classifying traits such as poor inherent impulse control or a bad temperament as a psychiatric disease isn't tenable to me. It far crosses the line from disease to personality trait, and I can't see a logical way to exclude any crime from an insanity defense if we start calling all negative traits diseases.

Maybe we could call it a personality disorder since it fits the "abnormal varieties of sane psychic life’ criteria, but I'm not sure where to go from there. If at some point we develop a way to fundamentally change peoples personality to make them fall in line with the rest of us then by all means we should offer it to those who want, but until then they're just people who got unlucky with who they turned out to be and murdered someone. Can't absolve them of responsibility for that.

As a side note, I'm very much against the death penalty because of the costs and the chance that courts are wrong, but I don't think there's anything morally wrong with someone who chose to take someones life losing their own as a consequence.

Deleted
    And 6 out of those 8 are mentally unfit to even understand that they were at trial. One of them has a IQ of 69.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    And 6 out of those 8 are mentally unfit to even understand that they were at trial. One of them has a IQ of 69.
    then they wont know they are being put to death. just tell them they are taking a happy nap. their u go, solved that issue.

You don't you kind of just lock them in but killing them because they're defective seems ww2ish
    You wouldn't execute them because they're defective. You execute them because they present a threat to society.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    All of them murdered 1 person each, seems abit bad was gonna say they derserve the death penalty more if they murdered children or tons of people
    To bad you weren't one of the victims so we don't have to hear your asinine opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mordago View Post
    The idea is to wait. Maybe some new evidence comes to light and proves their innocense eventually, maybe some of the witnesses change their minds or are proven liars. Maybe anything.
    Maybe their dead victim comes back to life... who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Capital punishment is wrong on all levels I say, regardless the crime committed.

That isn't to say I think none death punishments are sufficient.

I firmly believe if you kill a person in cold blood, you should be left to rot in jail for the rest of your days. Not a cushiony one, 4 walls, a bed, you own exposed wc, wooden chair and desk. Some liberties, such as a hour outside a day in a empty courtyard - no equipment no basketballs etc, and a limited supply of paper and a pen. No sense in someone going insane and losing their mind as to who they are. Oh also standard nutrional meals, nothing fancy just a meal consisting of what the body needs
    Sounds like a goddamn vacation for a cold blooded murderer. I can only hope someone close to you is a victim soon so your eyes are opened.

infracted - trolling
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-04-04 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    I don't understand why those prisoners, and others who have been sentenced to have death penalty, are being kept alive after some kind of appeal time to the court decision.
    It's BS that they can sit on death row for such a long time, there should be a legal limit on how long they are allowed to be on death row.