Case and cooling tips

I'm about to order the parts for a new PC and was looking for some tips on setting it up for the best air flow. I am getting an EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid and the CPU will have a corsair H100i. Most posts I've read say to put the radiator on the back of the case, with the intake on the front, but the case I have in mind won't fit both radiators on the back or the top. Right now, I plan on getting the Cooler Master Pro 5, but I'm open to other options up to the $250 range.

Will having a radiator on the front of my case and one on the back cause an air flow issue?
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    I'm about to order the parts for a new PC and was looking for some tips on setting it up for the best air flow. I am getting an EVGA GTX 1080 Hybrid and the CPU will have a corsair H100i. Most posts I've read say to put the radiator on the back of the case, with the intake on the front, but the case I have in mind won't fit both radiators on the back or the top. Right now, I plan on getting the Cooler Master Pro 5, but I'm open to other options up to the $250 range.

Will having a radiator on the front of my case and one on the back cause an air flow issue?
    Ditch the cooler master case imo, grab the s340 elite put the H100 in the front and the 1080 radiator in the rear.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3TYW...se-ca-s340w-b3

Probably not. It will add a bit of restriction to the front, but if your fans can produce good pressure, it shouldn't matter. The front mounted radiator will however vent heat into the case, but mostly it isn't a problem, because GPUs don't really care the temperature of the air as much as the supply of it.

What comes to the case, I'd definately put 3 fans to the intake, if you plan to open the top. Maybe even remove the drive cages in front, if high restriction scares you.

Front rads is the way to go:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAMxZgvves&t=681s

Makes sense too, GPU's dont really need a ton of airflow but the hot air they put into the case will affect a top mounted CPU rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Ditch the cooler master case imo, grab the s340 elite put the H100 in the front and the 1080 radiator in the rear.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3TYW...se-ca-s340w-b3
    Thanks, I wasn't really set on a case. A few friends of mine recently did builds and used the Cooler Master so it was being suggested to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Probably not. It will add a bit of restriction to the front, but if your fans can produce good pressure, it shouldn't matter. The front mounted radiator will however vent heat into the case, but mostly it isn't a problem, because GPUs don't really care the temperature of the air as much as the supply of it.

What comes to the case, I'd definately put 3 fans to the intake, if you plan to open the top. Maybe even remove the drive cages in front, if high restriction scares you.
    Any suggestions when it comes to fans? I don't want to go cheap, which is what I did in my previous build.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Thanks, I wasn't really set on a case. A few friends of mine recently did builds and used the Cooler Master so it was being suggested to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Any suggestions when it comes to fans? I don't want to go cheap, which is what I did in my previous build.
    You dont need extra fans, just toss the cpu rad in front and put gpu rad in back.

I recently got a case with 3 stock fans(corsair airflow thingy(forgot name)), got a corsair h100i cpu cooler and a big 1080. I ended up removing one of the stock fans because the machine started creating violent gusts in my room, and cooling down the room bellow livable temperatures.

Fans are always subjective thing when it comes to noise. From performance PoV though, anything with high static pressure works.

What I personally use for 140mm is Fractal Design HP-14, which for me have 0 audible motor noise, which most of the "silent" fans have(Noctua industial being the worst). For 120mm it's a bit tougher, I haven't really found a fan I really like yet, I've thought of giving the Corsair Maglev stuff a try, but for now I only use the 120mm fans when I need em and they automaticly shutdown with low water temp.

Mounting in the front might get slightly better temps but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, its negligeable.

Deleted
    Thanks for posting this I also need som tips regardng cooling my CPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    be quiet! Silent Wings 3
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I use the BitFenix Spectre Pro LED 120mm and 140mm and im im really happy with them and they look really great

Last edited by pansertjald; 2017-04-06 at 06:06 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Fans are always subjective thing when it comes to noise. From performance PoV though, anything with high static pressure works.

What I personally use for 140mm is Fractal Design HP-14, which for me have 0 audible motor noise, which most of the "silent" fans have(Noctua industial being the worst). For 120mm it's a bit tougher, I haven't really found a fan I really like yet, I've thought of giving the Corsair Maglev stuff a try, but for now I only use the 120mm fans when I need em and they automaticly shutdown with low water temp.
    I use the Noctua NF-F12 and wanted to buy one for my sister's CPU cooler. The only ones in Stock on Amazon where the industrial ones so I bought one. I was shocked at how loud the 2000er fans are compared to the non industrial ones.

For OPs question regarding fans:
    If mounted on the radiators I'd go with high pressure fans
    (my favourites being the mentioned NF-F12 from Noctua or the EK Vardar F2)

For simple case fans that won't be restricted I'd take silent fans that where designed for high airflow over pressure. Be Quiet silent wings 3 should be the best choice IMO.

All the mentioned fans are non-led and don't have a Led variant at all.

Deleted
    Silentwings 3 also do fairly well under high SP load. Thermalbench tests all fans with rads btw, and will typically test all speed variants of fans.