Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Decades ago when I worked at McDonalds, one of the grill-workers believed his dead wife's spirit was over his shoulder at all times. He used to talk to her all the time. Nice guy, very helpful and friendly.
    That's actually really sad but also sweet

Technically.....cancer can be caught under rare circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    Stuff like "contracted" makes the agent sharing her desk say stupid stuff like that.
    You don't "catch" cancer, you develop cancer. Besides, name and shame the agent please, dox that cunt. (and the company)
    Sounds like you developed cancer in this thread.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Yes and no. Most types of cancer, you're correct. It's basically a failure of the immune system and not a disease in and of itself (cancer cells develop when the pre-programmed cell death after a certain number of divisions "short circuits" - one of the primary functions of the immune system is to destroy cancer cells). There are substances that can increase the risk of cancer, but they don't outright cause it themselves. There IS one variety that can be transmitted person to person though: cervical cancer. It's actually caused by a virus. But in that case it's only transmitted sexually (men are carriers and don't develop symptoms, it's estimated that a large percentage of the male population actually carries it), so you don't have to worry about sharing a desk with someone.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_...irus_infection

Scroll to cancer

Depending on the value of wikipedia "carrier" might not be accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Nice guy perhaps, but I would not invite him over to my house. You never know when his wife is going to tell him to slit your throat.
    Assuming you don't really believe it was a ghost, his obvious psychosis is no more dangerous than any of the other whack jobs in the neighborhood, and certainly a step above the crack heads. Not that I invited him over anyway, it's against the Hermit Code, but still.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Assuming you don't really believe it was a ghost, his obvious psychosis is no more dangerous than any of the other whack jobs in the neighborhood, and certainly a step above the crack heads. Not that I invited him over anyway, it's against the Hermit Code, but still.
    Dude was not dealing with his loss in a healthy way. Is he going to lose it and resort to violence? Probably not. But I wouldn't chance it. I'll hang out with rational sane people making only one exception for my wife (I kid... I kid...).