Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Is WoWHead just plain laggy even with Adblock installed?

It seems every time I go to WoWHead to look up an item or a guide or something, its like the site is trying to load something constantly, and i can never scroll through a page without lag.

Do other people have this issue? Whats the deal with WoWHead recently?

I noticed it too. No idea to be honest but really irritating since it's a good source of WoW help and info for me.

Yeah, I have the same problem. When I thought it was adblocker I looked and it was trying to block 136 ads on a single page. WTF?

I have caved to the overlords and just whitelisted wowhead. I wish the mmo-champ database was a little more robust.

The site is still trying to load a TON of shit, even despite adblock, you just don't see it. So yes, it's laggy. As fuck. And been that way for months now. And will probably remain that way, since they don't seem to be doing anything about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dziubla View Post
    The site is still trying to load a TON of shit, even despite adblock, you just don't see it. So yes, it's laggy. As fuck. And been that way for months now. And will probably remain that way, since they don't seem to be doing anything about it.
    Is it WoWHead themselves or some way ad creaters are getting in and blasting ads to the people who happen to go to WoWHead?

Because a few months ago, it wasn't like this. I get frustrated when I need to look something up now because I know im going to have to endure shit lag from their site.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Is it WoWHead themselves or some way ad creaters are getting in and blasting ads to the people who happen to go to WoWHead?

Because a few months ago, it wasn't like this. I get frustrated when I need to look something up now because I know im going to have to endure shit lag from their site.
    Its the calendar program they have on every page.
    Its been reported numerous times and they have "contacted" the calendar programmers for a fix.

Deleted
    Not true it has been like this for month.

MMO-C is even worse.

Yes, lags like crazy for me when using the search function, incredibly annoying. Website is so damn bloated, even if there were zero ads, the lag wouldn't end.

My PC is dated, but still a beast, this shouldn't be an issue. 2700k 4.6ghz, gtx 780 ti, samsung 840 evo ssd.

*puts on developer hat*

I noticed this the other day as well, and AdBlock bitches about WoWHead when I do load the website (which is almost never anymore).
    Seems to me that they're programatically doing something when they detect you have an AdBlocker running. They're probably causing a deliberate delay after every event that occurs (KeyPress, MouseClick, etc) because you're fucking with their Ad Revenue. When I disable AdBlock, I don't see the same amount of lag.

Seems to me that it's a "Fuck you for fucking with muh ad revenuez".

/shrug

Deleted
    I don't have any problems with Wowhead (but I have premium, so I wouldn't know much about ads)
    But if you have problems with the site, maybe it's better to post in their forum, instead of creating a shitty troll thread here?

They have a site feedback forum - over here:
    http://www.wowhead.com/forums?board=1

You can report bad ads here:
    http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=142&p=3370978

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    *puts on developer hat*

I noticed this the other day as well, and AdBlock bitches about WoWHead when I do load the website (which is almost never anymore).
    Seems to me that they're programatically doing something when they detect you have an AdBlocker running. They're probably causing a deliberate delay after every event that occurs (KeyPress, MouseClick, etc) because you're fucking with their Ad Revenue. When I disable AdBlock, I don't see the same amount of lag.

Seems to me that it's a "Fuck you for fucking with muh ad revenuez".

/shrug
    If thats the case, i'll just completely abandon WoWHead. There needs to be competition with them so they actually fix their shit.

Anyone know of any other database sites that are similar to wowhead?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    #BringBackThottBot
    #Agreewiththis100%

The only alternative to WoWhead would be curse's own http://www.wowdb.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    I don't have any problems with Wowhead (but I have premium, so I wouldn't know much about ads)
    But if you have problems with the site, maybe it's better to post in their forum, instead of creating a shitty troll thread here?

They have a site feedback forum - over here:
    http://www.wowhead.com/forums?board=1

You can report bad ads here:
    http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=142&p=3370978
    1) its not a troll thread, its a thread asking other people on mmo-c if they have problems with WoWHead, and from the looks of it, they do.

2) im not about to go through the headache of making a forum account and complaining to them because i'm sure thats already happened from other users, and i dont want to waste an hour wading through the lag just to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    MMO-C is even worse.
    I have zero issues with MMO-C, Wowhead though... too much shit I don't care about on the first page, so I bookmark Hamuul to avoid the main page and it's pretty ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

You can use the mmo champion database it just doesnt have the plethora of comments wowhead has but if everyone jumps on it as way to boycot the crazy spam of adds on wowhead it could take over.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    #BringBackThottBot
    I used to love Thottbot.

Yes, wowhead is super laggy. It got very laggy in the last year or so. I am already trying to avoid going there and if it gets any more laggy...

If thats the case, i'll just completely abandon WoWHead. There needs to be competition with them so they actually fix their shit.
    But therein lies the issue: I don't think that it is (to them) something that is broken. I think it's a deliberate action done to fuck off the people who block ads. Were I a dev on their team...I'd do it. I can see both sides of the argument. It's annoying as fuck to the consumer, but the developer needs a way to drive revenue for a website that is provided free of charge. They'd probably rather not have you consume their bandwidth if you're not going to load ads.

That all being said - I'm only supposing. It's something that programatically seems logical to me, but I really have no fkn clue, and I certainly don't speak for them on this subject.
    Last edited by fooliuscaesar13; 2017-04-05 at 05:58 PM.