Thread: Yooka-Laylee

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    The fuck? h-how... the 3ds version imo was the better one but tbh DK:Returns is a masterpiece in platforming games tbh.
    I thought it was pretty bland, it's nothing like the old DK games.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Its both easier and way harder.

The racing jiggies, especially the last one, are all but impossible to get without some kind of auto-press controller.
    Yeah, the last one was terrible. Just like the races from DK64, could never do them without save state.

IGN gave it a 7.0 out of 10 (Remember 7 isn't a bad score)

Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Every review I read leaves me wondering if anyone writing these things actually played the Banjo Kazooie games. 90% of the reviews seem to be literally describing the BK games, while still managing to explain why all of those Banjo Kazooie sounding issues are specific to YL.

The 6-8 out of 10 bracket doesn't make a game bad either.
    No, real men set standards and are territorial. Real men don't accept others that stray from the norm. Real men bully those that appear to be weak and inferior. Real men crave structure, hierarchies and rules. Your definition is just a way to neuter the male gender and only losers are deceived by it
    What I learned in a Nintendo thread

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    Every review I read leaves me wondering if anyone writing these things actually played the Banjo Kazooie games. 90% of the reviews seem to be literally describing the BK games, while still managing to explain why all of those Banjo Kazooie sounding issues are specific to YL.

The 6-8 out of 10 bracket doesn't make a game bad either.
    You could read the Jim Sterling review and develop cancer from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True enough, but in the current gaming climate it's pretty lackluster. Unless you're really desperate for a 3D platformer (and if you are I'd suggest just playing on of the classics. They're surely better than this) then I'd wait for this game to get a price drop and pick it up when we're in a gaming lull. Between LoZ, Horizon, Persona, Nier: Automata, etc. there's just no time for mediocre games like this.

Also, they might go the way of Mass Effect: Andromeda and fix a bunch of the issues eventually which is the reason why I dropped ME:A for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    True enough, but in the current gaming climate it's pretty lackluster. Unless you're really desperate for a 3D platformer (and if you are I'd suggest just playing on of the classics. They're surely better than this) then I'd wait for this game to get a price drop and pick it up when we're in a gaming lull. Between LoZ, Horizon, Persona, Nier: Automata, etc. there's just no time for mediocre games like this.

Also, they might go the way of Mass Effect: Andromeda and fix a bunch of the issues eventually which is the reason why I dropped ME:A for now.

I don't mean to sound like a dick but half of those games you listed don't even appeal to me and what one person thinks is mediocre might be another's favourite game. So before you go and tell people what they should be playing and enjoying maybe realise it's all an opinion.
    My FC is 1177 - 6552 - 9842 PM with yours if you add.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

7 from IGN is a bad score.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were a fan of Banjo Kazooie I would probably be excited for this game. The reviews seem to relate to the gameplay mechanics, which sound exactly like Banjo kazooie. I was 15 when that game came out and was into my teenage phase when everything should be dark and badass, so it didn't appeal to me. I remember being pleasantly impressed when I saw a friend playing it, and it seemed like a good game, but I was too busy playing Resident Evil and Silent Hill games to give it a second thought. That's why I have no nostalgia for it. I would therefore probably dislike Yooka Laylee, but fans of Banjo should love it.

I say don't worry about reviews, unless they say it's poorly optimized, buggy, etc. Everyone seems to dislike the game based on what it's attempting to emulate, which is the entire point of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    You know, i just love the racist bat argument. Its like the most karmic thing i've seen in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    You know, i just love the racist bat argument. Its like the most karmic thing i've seen in years.
    Wut? Context for those of us not closely following this drama? >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Wut? Context for those of us not closely following this drama? >.>
    I think it was sterling who picked it in his review and boy people on take it on. Its mostly that bat characters is generalising asshole and OMG doesn't embrace the diversity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it was sterling who picked it in his review and boy people on take it on. Its mostly that bat characters is generalising asshole and OMG doesn't embrace the diversity.
    I'm not sure I understand your reply. I don't know much of anything about this game or the characters. Is there a claim that the bat character is legitimately racist going around now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your reply. I don't know much of anything about this game or the characters. Is there a claim that the bat character is legitimately racist going around now?
    From what i understood he just makes "remarks" about like every character you meet. And in light of jontron thing people just really picked on it.

The dialog as written is only slightly less painful with terrible jokes that undeservedly throw shade at other games and Laylee’s “witty” quips routinely insulting the looks of any creature that isn’t her, often using derogatory nicknames based on their appearance. She’ll toss out slurs against snakes, shopping carts, clouds, she doesn’t care. Laylee is a complete racist, and as facetious as I’m being here, she really does come off as a hateful, nasty, thoroughly unlikable little bastard.

Ah, I take it that's from Sterlings review, given the earlier discussion? Because if so, I'll proceed to completely ignore it. I can't remember the last time he said something remotely interesting or relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ah, I take it that's from Sterlings review, given the earlier discussion? Because if so, I'll proceed to completely ignore it. I can't remember the last time he said something remotely interesting or relevant.
    I'd definitely ignore his review since he's an idiot.

From what i understood he just makes "remarks" about like every character you meet. And in light of jontron thing people just really picked on it.
    he supposidly loves the banjo games too which is funny because laylee is a kazooie clone, kazooie did the same shit

Jim literally set out to review this game as bad no matter what even if it was good
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I just read Jim's review, which is dripping with negativity and lacks any constructive criticism. I don't even care about this game and I couldn't stand the review.

He generally refers to the Laylee character as racist in jest, but it's used to highlight his feeling that the character is mean spirited and nasty overall.

If people want to draw a parallel between that and the Jontron controversy, they are seriously delusional and should seek help immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    7 from IGN is a bad score.
    Too much water.

I'll take it with a grain of salt.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I just read Jim's review, which is dripping with negativity and lacks any constructive criticism. I don't even care about this game and I couldn't stand the review.

He generally refers to the Laylee character as racist in jest, but it's used to highlight his feeling that the character is mean spirited and nasty overall.

If people want to draw a parallel between that and the Jontron controversy, they are seriously delusional and should seek help immediately.
    Literally Kazooie then?

The only person Kazooie was "nice" to was Banjo, and even if you stay idle long enough she starts pecking at his head.

I mean, she calls Bottles "goggles boy", and proceeds to be mean even to his ghost. She insults everyone based on their appearance. I'm legit confused how someone could claim to like Banjo Kazooie yet criticize Yooka-Laylee for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I'm legit confused how someone could claim to like Banjo Kazooie yet criticize Yooka-Laylee for this.
    I know almost nothing about Banjo Kazooie, so that's pretty eye opening. To jokingly call the character racist when they are a carbon copy of Kazooie is hilariously foolish. I'm starting to dislike Jim Sterling more as the years go on.

I know almost nothing about Banjo Kazooie, so that's pretty eye opening. To jokingly call the character racist when they are a carbon copy of Kazooie is hilariously foolish. I'm starting to dislike Jim Sterling more as the years go on.

Kazooie is one of the two major protagonists in the Banjo-Kazooie series. She is a red-crested breegull who lives in her pal Banjo's backpack most of the time, poking her head out only to berate various other characters with insults and jabbering.
    Kazooie's personality is very different from Banjo's. She is a wisecracking, obnoxious, sassy, cheeky, hot-tempered, slightly egotistic, tell-it-like-it-is loudmouth and "teen". This could be because almost everyone that Kazooie has met had insulted her in some way. Bottles, for example, called her a 'strange friend' and asked Banjo if she could talk and Mumbo Jumbo called her the 'filthy feathered one'. This could also be why Banjo and Kazooie are such great friends since Banjo hardly ever insults anyone (and if he does he usually apologizes).
    Despite Kazooie's foulmouthed rudeness, she never insults Banjo at all. Being best friends and both with different personalities, it's obvious that she respects him greatly and will stop insulting upon Banjo's words, proving her loyalty to him, however she insults everyone and always make trouble.
    Just a few snippets from http://banjokazooie.wikia.com/wiki/Kazooie

Although I call lies on that "almost everyone's insulted her", because she even starts insulting random NPCs, like calling a hippo "blubber breath" I believe was one?