Thread: Yooka-Laylee

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm not one to usually hammer reviews because even ones I disagree with usually still have value, but Jim's one is pretty much seems like a hit piece. It straight up seems like somewhere down the line someone involved pissed him off so he decided to personally metabomb the game.

Like I can understand not liking the genre, I don't like horror and sports games, but actively seeking out a member of the genre to blast them for being in the genre just seems petty. Especially when you don't even bother finishing the game and publish it as a "professional" review.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilthresa View Post
    I don't mean to sound like a dick but half of those games you listed don't even appeal to me and what one person thinks is mediocre might be another's favourite game. So before you go and tell people what they should be playing and enjoying maybe realise it's all an opinion.
    Never said that you shouldn't enjoy it or play it. But other than major Banjo Kazooie fans, I doubt that many people were dying to play Yooka Laylee and there are plenty of high quality games out right now that can be played instead. Sure, how good a game is is an opinion but what isn't subjective is the metacritic scores, and the meta scores for all the games I mentioned are considerably higher than Yooka Laylee.

Just seems like if you aren't really craving a 3D platformer or aren't a huge Banjo fan, then you'd be better off waiting for a sale or patches and getting the game later.

Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    Yeah, I just read Jim's review, which is dripping with negativity and lacks any constructive criticism. I don't even care about this game and I couldn't stand the review.
    I thought the review was plenty constructive, he talked in great detail about the flaws without attacking anyone and provided examples of games that do it right.
    "Dripping in negativity" does not mean the review is non-constructive if there's plenty to criticize.

And I am the same as you in not caring about this game, but I had a totally different take from his review.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    I thought the review was plenty constructive, he talked in great detail about the flaws without attacking anyone and provided examples of games that do it right.
    "Dripping in negativity" does not mean the review is non-constructive if there's plenty to criticize.

And I am the same as you in not caring about this game, but I had a totally different take from his review.
    The difference is no matter the flaws and how much you dislike the game it doesn't warrant a 2/10. 2/10 is a buggy mess that doesn't even work (kewpie jazzy anyone?) not for a game to this standard.
    My FC is 1177 - 6552 - 9842 PM with yours if you add.

So, let's examine the Jim Sterling "racist" comment. Full sentence:

Laylee is a complete racist, and as facetious as I’m being here, she really does come off as a hateful, nasty, thoroughly unlikable little bastard.
    Note the

and as facetious as I’m being here
    Part. That kinda means something, ya know? Anyway, I find it sad that when a reviewer doesn't validate a score someone's looking for, they're "putting out a hit piece". I don't know what your feelings on Yooka-Laylee is, and I don't pretend to know, but I've seen so many assumptions about X reviewer about Y game that I start to tune it out, honestly. Read what they have to say, measure their arguments, then go on to the next reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    but actively seeking out a member of the genre to blast them for being in the genre just seems petty.
    Do you have a source for this, or is this pure speculation? Because I am unaware of him seeking any individual out.

Quote Originally Posted by Notshauna View Post
    Especially when you don't even bother finishing the game and publish it as a "professional" review.
    *thinks* Honestly, I'm not sure where exactly I fall on this. I believe I fall somewhere in the "you need to play a substantial majority" territory - I think it's perfectly acceptable for Jim to hit chapter 11 of 13 in Final Fantasy XIII and be dismayed to the point of putting it down. Hell, I just started playing Resident Evil 6, and I can tell that since it started off so abysmally that I have full confidence that it will not turn out to be a good game later down the line. So long as the reviewer states explicitly where they stopped off at, I don't see a problem with ending a game (provided you've seen a large majority of the content) before they've fully completed it.

In short, Jim gave the game a bad review. That sucks. That is his opinion. Moving on...

Edit:
    The difference is no matter the flaws and how much you dislike the game it doesn't warrant a 2/10. 2/10 is a buggy mess that doesn't even work (kewpie jazzy anyone?) not for a game to this standard.
    Incorrect. From Jim Sterling's score guide:

2 (Bad): A 2 represents a straight-up bad game. A thorough disaster, there is no hope of a positive experience ever shining through all the broken features and atrocious ideas. Only the truly desperate will be able to dig through the mire and find something passable.
    Based on Jim's criteria, his 2.0/10 score is warranted, based upon the review he provided. You may not agree with the score provided, but it's his review, not yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    ITT: discussions about literally anything but yooka-laylee

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

No, Sterling has completely different standards for his reviews. Games like Kewpie Jazzy wouldn't be worth anything above a Jimpressions video where he bitches and moans that Steam actually sells this garbage. He doesn't review games that don't qualify to be games. To put this further into perspective, he gave Resident Evil 6 a 3/10. I do expect him to be a big outlier, of course. I don't know why he'd write a "hit piece" when he kickstarted, received a free copy of, and gave a positive impression of the alpha of the game. I'm guessing the writing just never clicked with him and whatever technical issues there are (the game's not even out, so we don't know if he's overblowing them or not just yet) may have taken him over the top. A bad camera seemed to be his biggest gameplay-related gripe, and that can be disastrous in a 3D platformer. It probably doesn't help that he reviewed it on the Xbone, I hope the PC version will run better. In general, I hope he's just overblowing the game's problems and was in a terrible mood while playing the entire time (I dunno, maybe another indie dev is trying to sue him or some shit). I didn't preorder the game, but I've been keeping a close eye on it since I don't wanna get Might No. 9'd again and I want it to be a good game. I'm not the biggest Sterling defender (I still think he was completely wrong in his defense of CoD vs Mario Kart because MK didn't have nearly as many entries in as short a period of time as CoD did), but complaining about his review of a game a week before it's even released seems to be jumping the gun. Besides, it's all just, like, his opinion, man. If the humor clicks with most BK fans (and I expect it will), it wouldn't make him any more or less right or wrong for not liking it.

Also, the last thing Jim said that was relevant was all that stuff about the secret meeting Valve had with only him, TotalBiscuit, and TB's wife.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

Jim Sterling's 10 point scale is a bit different than other reviewers. In his own words:
    In my prior work at Destructoid, I always aimed to use the full ten-point scale, rather than simply the higher end of it. There’s a popular belief that reviews are rated from 7-10 by major outlets, instead of 1-10, and while that’s an exaggeration, I certainly feel more publications could stand to utilize all the numbers a bit more readily.
    Source: http://www.thejimquisition.com/revie...-guide/http://

So many people (including some here in this thread) mistakenly believe he purposely rates games lower to generate "drama" or "clicks" or whatever, but in reality he is simply using a different scale. Even the first statement is not true, as there were plenty of games he rated higher than the Metacritic average.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    - Keeper Annals

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I still have some high-hopes for this considering bk is my 4th favorite game of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ah, I take it that's from Sterlings review, given the earlier discussion? Because if so, I'll proceed to completely ignore it. I can't remember the last time he said something remotely interesting or relevant.
    Well now I'm surprised. Still not over the Zelda thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Well now I'm surprised. Still not over the Zelda thing?
    Zelda thing? Did he give it a "bad" score or something? Because I'm not sure who you think I am, but I haven't played a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time on the N64 and don't have any attachment to the series.

Do I need to be butthurt over something specific to find him to be entirely irrelevant, and largely devoid of any interesting or informative opinions or analysis?

Zelda thing? Did he give it a "bad" score or something? Because I'm not sure who you think I am, but I haven't played a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time on the N64 and don't have any attachment to the series.

Do I need to be butthurt over something specific to find him to be entirely irrelevant, and largely devoid of any interesting or informative opinions or analysis?
    No, but I figured you'd be on his wave length when it comes to certain other topics that plague the industry.

Ah, I take it that's from Sterlings review, given the earlier discussion? Because if so, I'll proceed to completely ignore it. I can't remember the last time he said something remotely interesting or relevant.
    So.. more relevant and interesting than you? Guess you 2 are equal then. I have yet to read one of your posts where you are positive about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    So.. more relevant and interesting than you? Guess you 2 are equal then. I have yet to read one of your posts where you are positive about anything.
    What the hell? I don't agree with Edge regarding Jim Sterling, but this is completely uncalled for.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    What the hell? I don't agree with Edge regarding Jim Sterling, but this is completely uncalled for.
    So it's ok to say it about a reviewer, but not about someone else? That's exactly what I wanted to point out. Thanks.

If you want to rage at someone and call them irrelevant and not interesting, realise that you yourself are probably way less relevant. With the viewers he reaches, with the people that like his content. He will always be more relevant than a critic.

Does that mean I have to agree with him on everything? Hell no, he was a bit to harsh on this game. He was on point for Zelda for me. But sadly whatever he says, reviews will have this "ehmagerd he's so irrelevant because I disagree!" drivel. It's amusing, but if that's literally your argument, you have nothing to go on.

for backers, the physical items have been shipped already. However you need to sign for it

:l
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    For what it's worth, I don't really care what score Jim gave the game, as I have no attachment to it or Banjo; I just found Jim's review overly nasty. That's his style though; he rips into negative aspects of games pretty heavily, even if he likes the game overall. I just don't really care for the style.

So.. more relevant and interesting than you?
    Probably. I'm just a random guy on the internet who doesn't have a Patreon bringing in like $10k a month or whatever, so I don't even have that going for me : (

I have yet to read one of your posts where you are positive about anything.
    Check out the TSW thread, I'm pretty optimistic about the SWL relaunch, actually!

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    for backers, the physical items have been shipped already. However you need to sign for it

:l
    I'd much rather they have that extra layer of security than not, honestly. I hate it when packages are left on my doorstep, had issues with shit getting stolen from my complex before and I'd definitely prefer they hold it at a local UPS/Fedex store for me to swing by and pick it up or whatever.

Id rather have known before hand cause I would of just gotten the digital version. I work 6 days a week so I'll most likely miss it
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those that loved the N64 style Rareware, and even games on the Paystation like Spyro and Croc will love this sort of game. It captures the old Rare style and for some that's kind of dated but for others its recapturing nostalgia, and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you never like those Rare type of games or 3D platforms at the height of their design, you probably won't like this.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance