Poll: For or Against Home Owners' Associations where you live?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, HOAs are a fucking cancer.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I hate HOAs cause they fall into 2 categories in my experience

1. Run by Nazis on a powertrip who will fine your ass for any tiny thing
    2. Run by nobody and they let everyone run wild all the while taking your monthly fee

I would much rather live without HOAs

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Against. HoAs are super anal and unreasonable about a lot of shit.
    Don't agree to them or move into a neighborhood that has one you don't like. They are there in an effort to keep the same appeal that brought people into an area. People act like they are the enemy, but anybody that deals with them chose to at some point.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    rather not, honestly, I'd like to be able to play loud music and throw parties whenever I feel like without Mrs. Shithead Hildebrand getting mad at me for it.
    HoAs don't control stuff like that.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah I imagine so. WOuld remind me too much of middle school though >.<
    Think Mayberry and you would be spot on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Don't agree to them or move into a neighborhood that has one you don't like. They are there in an effort to keep the same appeal that brought people into an area. People act like they are the enemy, but anybody that deals with them chose to at some point.
    Thats why my family has never moved to them. DOesnt mean I cant still have an opinion on them and explain why Im against them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post

- - - Updated - - -

They can, indirectly, by limiting noise levels, and banning street/driveway parking, or by allowing only1 or 2 guest vehicles in the community at a given time.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Against I worked for a couple at a property management company Ive seen all kinds of horror stories even when the board isnt corrupt and unqualified the unreasonable lawsuits screw whole neighborhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Thats why my family has never moved to them. DOesnt mean I cant still have an opinion on them and explain why Im against them though.
    It is a choice people make. People are acting like home owners are victims here. The people that don't deal with them or haven't dealt with them chiming in is also a bit silly. You are saying they are anal the people that are opting for them decide they want that control in their neighborhood. This is the same as a parent putting a child in a school with a dress code then getting upset that they have to wear a uniform.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on where you live HOAs can have an insane amount of power from whether or not you can even paint your house and what colors are allowed to the noise level. HOAs tend to be filled with pain in the neck wannabes whose sole purpose in life is to fell powerful over everyone else, they are horrible I am not sure why these god awful things still exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    It is a choice people make. People are acting like home owners are victims here. The people that don't deal with them or haven't dealt with them chiming in is also a bit silly. You are saying they are anal the people that are opting for them decide they want that control in their neighborhood. This is the same as a parent putting a child in a school with a dress code then getting upset that they have to wear a uniform.
    You seem annoyed people have opinions.

Sometimes neighborhoods get taken over by HoAs after people moved in. The only reason mine doesn't have an HoA is because the large property owners said no. Other times HoAs actually lie about shit. Sometimes HoAs go form good to shit depending on the sucessor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Against I worked for a couple at a property management company Ive seen all kinds of horror stories even when the board isnt corrupt and unqualified the unreasonable lawsuits screw whole neighborhood.
    As with anything there is always extreme situations that exist.

One could use rundown neighborhoods as examples of what happens when you don't have HoAs. Or this.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_Can_House
    It is a sight to behold!!!
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-04-06 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    And if you vote against it, and it passes, you still have to follow it. Those types of HoAs, from my experience, are rare and usually it's just an elected board passing rules, or a private management company setting whatever rules they want.
    Our HoA is a little different than other HoAs. Other HoAs are generally funded from monthly dues only. Ours gets funding from the golf course, two restaurants, a bar, wedding venue, a separate time share facility, and a resort. According to the latest annual financial statement, our dues made up less than 10% of their funding.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they're reasonable about things I don't really care but stuff like being anal about grass height... plants you decide to grow... dogs you're not allowed to own.. fuck off.

You seem annoyed people have opinions.

Sometimes neighborhoods get taken over by HoAs after people moved in. The only reason mine doesn't have an HoA is because the large property owners said no. Other times HoAs actually lie about shit. Sometimes HoAs go form good to shit depending on the sucessor.
    Must be a Texas thing. In CA, HoAs are very difficult to start in an existing neighborhoods. The individual homeowner must agree to be part of the association. It is basically a legal contract between homeowner and the association. They can't force you to join at this point.

Most associations are created by the developer so the contract is in place when you buy the home. Developer associations are typically run by the developer until the project is complete at which time control of the association is handed over to the residents.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only real reason for an HOA is if the neighbourhood has some additional features that need upkeep/maintenance, like a neighbourhood (not public) pool or the like. And it should only extend to that kind of stuff.

When it comes to personal property decisions, the only thing that needs to be in play are zoning laws and development by-laws regarding things like fence heights and setbacks and whatnot.

I can handle the city saying to not build a shed within a foot of the property line, to ensure there's no encroachment on neighbouring property, but an HOA telling me to pick one of three shades of paint for my house? Take a hike. I probably have a better eye anyway.

If I could make one change to the law regarding HoAs (At least concerning non jointly owned property like condos) it would be that if any rule is altered in any way the homeowner can get out of the covenant free and clear. Being legally obligated to follow rules made by a non-elected body that can change at their whim is insane.
    Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    In many American neighborhoods, people get together and form HOAs that dictate all kinds of things to ensure property value stays high as possible. Like the color you can paint your house for example, or types of hedges or all kinds of things. They vary from not very strict to super strict. They also generally require dues be paid. Sometimes, they actually pay for all your yard maintenance to be done by contractors.
    Maybe a stupid question from an Australian here, but couldn't you basically just buy a place, fill your lawn with passive-aggressive pink flamingos and say "Bugger you lot, you're not a legal body and I didn't sign anything."?
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

They always get too big and out of hand, and end up being manipulated by the idiots with the most time to waste.

They need to die in a giant fire.

Depends on the property you are in. If you're in an apparment complex it makes sense to have a centralized body to manage the common access areas.

Quote Originally Posted by maomoa View Post
    Then don't buy the fucking house/condo. This is America and if you want to have that level of control, then so be it. If you don't, then don't. People also complain about having no control over an HoA when most of them are controlled by the people in the neighborhood. You don't like the rule you can't rent out your condo? Then change it. It's not that hard if unless you're some neck--beard, red, or anything in between--who can't get shit done.

Home owner associations should be banned. So just take away people's choice? Yeah, that sounds great.
    Home owner associations exist for the explicit reason of taking choice away from people that live in the neighborhood. Changing the rules is quite literally impossible if you can't get other people on board, so no matter how petty or trivial the issue, you are enslaved to the will of the HOA.

I am not exaggerating with my choice of words. These are the explicit functions of an HOA. Some have good intentions. Most do not, and even those that do still make a profit off of their control.