Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    What he's saying amounts to: My rich father gave me this job but I wouldn't have it anymore if I sucked hard at it.

And everybody was like whhhhhhhhhat?
    This is what people who benefit from nepotism tell themselves to feed their inflated ego. You'd still have a job and you'd still be paid, you'd just have I don't know some title that means dogshit, which is basically what they have. They don't run anything, they oversee and let skilled people run things. Nepotism, making your kids feel like they are good at stuff, while complaining that everyone gets a trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Nepotism isn't bad necessarily. In fact it's admired in some contexts. Such as, this has been a family run business since 1934. Or whatever.
    This exactly. It's also not bad if the person in question is good at the job. AND how is it worse than politicians and their pay to play?

I always imagined that if I was a head of the government then the first candidates for ministers etc. would be people I know and trust, as long as they have qualifications. Not because I want to take care of family and friends - with the widespread corruption and the amount of power / responsibility inherently associated with those positions I'd rather not risk some unknown people doing the job and using it for their own agendas.

So in a situation where there's a candidate with excellent qualifications, but one I don't know at all, and a trustworthy friend / family with at least decent qualifications I'd always go with the latter.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Scathan View Post
    This exactly. It's also not bad if the person in question is good at the job. AND how is it worse than politicians and their pay to play?
    Plutocracy isn't a word known so much. Nepotism is obviously worse because most people have heard that word!

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Man, it's rare to see people brag about benefiting from nepotism or try to excuse it.

This is an interesting strategy.

ITT: people actually making excuses for out and out nepotism, because partisan politics have rotted their brains THAT much.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Thought you said "web dictionaries are garbage". Sorry, we can't accept your citations any more.
    Well first of all I clearly indicated my disdain for the Merriam-Webster, but see the thing you don't know (because you have no idea what you're talking about as usual) is that the Merriam-Webster isn't a web dictionary. It was founded in the 1800s and is a traditional dictionary. Dictionary.com and other such services are web dictionaries.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2017-04-05 at 11:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only have issues with nepotism when the candidate is very much unqualified (or when its against the law / policy but people exploit loopholes for it)

Then again, I benefited from nepotism. I am very much qualified however (have better turn around times, understand the tasks better, know how to do them better, ect..), and certainly am better than random dude in India who had it before me
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-04-05 at 11:59 PM.

Deleted
    Newsflash: Family prefers to hire qualified family and friends over strangers. SHOCKING

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    qualified
    There's your problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well first of all I clearly indicated my disdain for the Merriam-Webster, but see the thing you don't know (because you have no idea what you're talking about as usual) is that the Merriam-Webster isn't a web dictionary. It was founded in the 1800s and is a traditional dictionary. Dictionary.com and other such services are web dictionaries.
    No mention of "Merriam-Webster" was used in your quote nor in mine that you quoted. I can quote link the quotes if you like.
    You may have thought it, but I am no mind reader.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    Newsflash: Family prefers to hire qualified family and friends over strangers. SHOCKING
    Makes you wonder how often this has happened before.

No mention of "Merriam-Webster" was used in your quote nor in mine that you quoted. I can quote link the quotes if you like.
    You may have thought it, but I am no mind reader.
    This is literally what you responded to, after insisting I provide a link:

Oh you need one?

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=nepotism

There you go. You could've just asked if your google was broken.

Here's Merriam-Webster, you Americans like that shitty thing right?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nepotism

T
    Actually I posted this... post #35 page 2

That is exactly what nepotism is.
    http://www.businessdictionary.com/de.../nepotism.html

Nepotism isn't just held to family.

It isn't what you know, it's who you know.

The good ole boy network.
    And you responded by stating this... post #41 page 3

Nepotism refers to family members. Latin nepos, nephew. Some people have extended that to close friends by analogy but that's not really what it means.

Those web dictionaries are garbage by the way.

You then linked a few web dictionaries after you stated they were "garbage". The quote you stated above.

I then stated this... post #48 page 3

Thought you said "web dictionaries are garbage". Sorry, we can't accept your citations any more.
    @Mormolyce Remember, those words in quotations are your words, not mine.

The problem is people want citations for proof. No, they DEMAND citations. But when someone provides said citations that doesn't fit the within their little world they go freaking nuts.

People wanted proof that 80-85% of jobs today are filled through networking. That was provided with two sources.
    People then did not believe that "nepotism" included friends. I provided a link to that as well. That was pooh-poohed away.
    Why even provide sources if they aren't going to be believed or they are going to be disputed at every turn?
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-04-06 at 01:12 AM.

You then linked a few web dictionaries after you stated they were "garbage". The quote you stated above.

I then stated this... post #48 page 3

@Mormolyce Remember, those words in quotations are your words, not mine.

The problem is people want citations for proof. No, they DEMAND citations. But when someone provides said citations that doesn't fit the within their little world they go freaking nuts.

People wanted proof that 80-85% of jobs today are filled through networking. That was provided with two sources.
    People then did not believe that "nepotism" included friends. I provided a link to that as well. That was pooh-poohed away.
    Why even provide sources if they aren't going to be believed or they are going to be disputed at every turn?
    It's pretty simple, Merriam-Webster, despite my personal opinion of it, is a real dictionary. Dictionary.com is crappy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, it's rare to see people brag about benefiting from nepotism or try to excuse it.

This is an interesting strategy.
    It shouldnt be surprising. Daddy trumped bragged about shirking his tax responsibility, claimed it made him smart.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how many people that hate nepotism love family run businesses...

Got family that work in construction and can get you materials or do work on your property for cheap/free? NEPOTISM!
    Got a sister that does hair and gives you free haircuts? NEPOTISM!
    Family members babysit your kids instead of a professional nanny? NEPOTISM!
    Last edited by Flutterguy; 2017-04-06 at 03:34 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post

Got family that work in construction and can get you materials or do work on your property for cheap/free? NEPOTISM!
    And how many of those can (try to) change laws to benefit their 'good friends' and usually get elected to bear the responsibility for a whole country full of people, including the following generations?

Having my job because all the owners are related. Thank god for Nepotism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shandalay View Post
    And how many of those can (try to) change laws to benefit their 'good friends' and usually get elected to bear the responsibility for a whole country full of people, including the following generations?
    Well you could argue that Obama hiring Clinton to be his sect of state was a form of nepotism being the definition does extend to "friends". Since it was clearly a way to push her resume even more for President.

But then u can say that about the Bushes and many other families that have been involved in politics generation after generation.

I don't like family businesses, although it's worth pointing out that a lot of them are pretty small and not that profitable, and they wouldn't be able to get anyone outside their family to work there for practically nothing. When they are successful they are indeed horribly nepotistic. Look at the Elizabeth Trump & Son construction company for example.

I don't approve of people pressing family members into service as a form of cheap or free labour (eg babysitting) either really. I knew a girl in a previous job who had a good career, she was really good at her job and well liked, and one day she said she had to go back home to another state to work in her family's shitty little corner store because they said they needed her. I thought that was insane, personally.

But don't let me stop your stalwart defence of corruption.

P.S. You really shouldn't let your sister cut your hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    It's never been about what you know. It's about who you know. Anyone who's still surprised by that simply doesn't have the life experience yet.
    This, anyone who has had to job hunt knows this, related through blood or not, knowing people is an important part of getting a job, should it be like this? probably not, is it like this? yes. Hell even connecting with a perspective employer over something small like a hobby could be key.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't like family businesses, although it's worth pointing out that a lot of them are pretty small and not that profitable, and they wouldn't be able to get anyone outside their family to work there for practically nothing. When they are successful they are indeed horribly nepotistic. Look at the Elizabeth Trump & Son construction company for example.

I don't approve of people pressing family members into service as a form of cheap or free labour (eg babysitting) either really. I knew a girl in a previous job who had a good career, she was really good at her job and well liked, and one day she said she had to go back home to another state to work in her family's shitty little corner store because they said they needed her. I thought that was insane, personally.

But don't let me stop your stalwart defence of corruption.

P.S. You really shouldn't let your sister cut your hair.
    Nothing wrong with a family business especially when you want quality. Small local, non chain, sometimes family run business often provide better quality and customer service. would you want to live in a world were every restaurant is a chain, a world with no farmers markets? Lots of restaurants and pretty much all farmers market vendors run a family business. Try being serious about aquariums and having you only local option a petco. Most chain petstores locations suck royally in fish care and selection, local, often family run, stores are superior in every way

Nepotism (the favouring of ones relatives) is pretty much hard coded into our DNA. Richard Dawkins elaborates on what is called kin selection in The Selfish Gene.