Poll: For or Against Home Owners' Associations where you live?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    You seem annoyed people have opinions.

Sometimes neighborhoods get taken over by HoAs after people moved in. The only reason mine doesn't have an HoA is because the large property owners said no. Other times HoAs actually lie about shit. Sometimes HoAs go form good to shit depending on the sucessor.
    Not at all, just the passionate way people hate HOAs. It is like getting pissed of somebody somewhere is having a dish you don't think you would like for dinner. In almost all states if they come in after you have bought your home you can't be forced to join or conform, so again it is a choice. Now if they lie that is on the home owners for letting that happen. All these things are documented if they lie you confront them on it. I get not wanting the hassle in the very odd and unlikely situation somebody lives in a home some how an HOA sneaks in and then it turns out the neighborhood was sold snake oil and they don't do what they said they would do. The home owners aren't helpless victims though. The biggest issue I have seen first hand is the hypocrisy of them, when you have board members violating rules left and right meanwhile they try to fine anybody and everybody they can. It turns into a power trip and is certainly toxic.
    Last edited by Alvito; 2017-04-06 at 03:25 AM.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Don't agree to them or move into a neighborhood that has one you don't like. They are there in an effort to keep the same appeal that brought people into an area. People act like they are the enemy, but anybody that deals with them chose to at some point.
    "Why do you live in a bad part of the city?"
    "Why do you work that job you don't like?"

You don't always have options. In some areas, you have to deal with HOAs because there aren't any homes for sale in locations without them. Saying they're fine because you had the option of either dealing with them or giving up entirely is, at best, myopically naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    HoAs don't control stuff like that.
    I assume if you live in a HoA neighborhood you are within a confined residential area, I prefer not to have neighbors if possible.

Don't live in an area with one, but I would rather not. Nobody's gonna tell me how to paint my house and keep my property.

Highly Against.

Its my home I should be able to do with it as I see fit, As long as what I do doesn't physically effect someone else then they can get over it.

If I want a rainbow colored house with a chocobo statue in the yard that should be my choice.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

My aunt and uncle lived in a community that had one, They were pretty chill about stuff. They required you keep your house/yard in good shape. thought unlike some I have heard of they did let you deck your house out for holidays like halloween/christmas. So personally I would say I could live in one like that but not one of the overbearing ones that essentially run your life in terms of your home.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Against, people can fuck right off trying to tell other people what to do with their property for the sake of Vanity.

I don't have them here, but some condos do and they charge waaay to much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Our HoA is a little different than other HoAs. Other HoAs are generally funded from monthly dues only. Ours gets funding from the golf course, two restaurants, a bar, wedding venue, a separate time share facility, and a resort. According to the latest annual financial statement, our dues made up less than 10% of their funding.
    Oh. Can I move in? Sounds like a not-terrible one xD
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Really? I have heard nothing but terrible things.
    Of course you haven't heard many good things. Quite often things like that you only hear the bad things the good ones are never brought up unless you actually ask someone that lives in one. Just like with delivery companies if you look at the reviews of them you will see they tend to have about the same score and it tends to be low because there really isn't much to say if you didn't have a problem. They pulled up gave me my package and left is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    Maybe a stupid question from an Australian here, but couldn't you basically just buy a place, fill your lawn with passive-aggressive pink flamingos and say "Bugger you lot, you're not a legal body and I didn't sign anything."?
    Weeeellllllllllll.......

If the neighborhood has a mandatory HOA, then you have to follow the HOA if you buy there. Some places have no HOA and some other have a voluntary HOA.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Against. HOA can eat a bag of festering, infected dicks.
    Gaming & Tech related discussion with occasional poo flinging!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNS...PDOAsdXS7I029g
    https://twitter.com/Aztech_Zero

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    "Why do you live in a bad part of the city?"
    "Why do you work that job you don't like?"

You don't always have options. In some areas, you have to deal with HOAs because there aren't any homes for sale in locations without them. Saying they're fine because you had the option of either dealing with them or giving up entirely is, at best, myopically naive.
    When buying a home you make choices. Going over pros and cons for each and every house you look at. Having an HOA or not having one and what the standards are for them if you do are one of the many pros or cons you weigh out. At no point are you forced to deal with one if you don't want to while you are still in the buying process.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    I assume if you live in a HoA neighborhood you are within a confined residential area, I prefer not to have neighbors if possible.
    My particular one is gated.

Luckily, HOAs aren't really a thing in Massachusetts. The day someone tries to tell me what color my shutters need to be, they'd better be paying my mortgage.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Against. HoAs are super anal and unreasonable about a lot of shit.
    This very much.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Funny how every neighborhood here in Florida that doesn't have HOA is a run down ghetto.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Funny how every neighborhood here in Florida that doesn't have HOA is a run down ghetto.
    Why? What's wrong with "you people"?

I mean. We don't have HOA's at all in this country and we don't have ghettos at all either....
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Surely, it's the HOA's power of awesome and not because they are pretty much exclusive of poorer people by function.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

For, without them people who share common land get screwed. Especially condos or townhomes.