God.. CLN seems to be the best to level first for the cross class, but it's hell to level. Anyone have an easy way to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Turn based combat is a turn off because it seems slow paced, compared to something like active combat it is slower. Active combat gives the sense of excitement and urgency that a turn based one would not.
    I think in an interview that the "Guardian Scorpion"(think its the 1st boss of FF7) is going to showcase this change.
    In a turn based system, you would get the message "The Guardian Scorpion is raising its tail!!"
    In an active combat system, you get a similar warning but an added form of excitement because you have a limited window to inflict damage on a vulnerable area. Plus it looks flashy.

It was also stated that you will have to swap out between the characters you are playing in order to win. Example, you need to be playing as Barret or Vincent to damage an opponent that is out of range.
    Turn based combat doesn't have to be slow paced though. I gave 2 examples of what I consider to be the pinnacle of turn based combat earlier. If you're comparing something like FF7 to FF15 I can see your argument, but FF7's battle system isn't anything special.

The thing is a game like FF15 is slow to me. Even though it's action combat, it's not fast paced, there's little strategy, and you're just mashing your way to victory. Even Nier was slow. Sure I move and attack quickly but the pace of combat was trivial and I just spent more time mashing then playing (played on hard). I'm hopeful for FF7R to be good and I don't even mind the change honestly. I love action combat done right, but I also love turn based combat done right. I'm just hoping it is done right. I like the idea of having to switch characters based on the situation, but I could also see a Tales like system where you could outright control any and all characters and they'd be somewhat well developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Turn based combat always sort of took me out of the action. I tend to look at it as a simulator inside a game, which feels odd, because my decisions were never in real time. Some games do it well enough I suppose, but each game I play with the system always leaves me with the thought that it could have been done better, and gotten me more engaged if I had to make decisions about positioning and execution, rather than status ailments and menus.
    I know i'm getting a little OT here, but I'm curious what games are you thinking about when mentioning turn based combat? Like what are your internal benchmarks? For better or for worse.

I really love FFXIV reddit when it stops being autistic for 5 minutes, we get some real serious and in depth analysis then.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme...rzea/?sort=new

10+ Year Old Account
    There are times when I wish they'd make house auto-demolish timer longer. And then there's these times when I wish it wouldn't take so long.

Slowly waiting for timer to tick to get 80% of spent Gil back, and prepare to hunt for medium plot in Shirogane.

It's already been stated that Stormblood housing won't be available at launch. You can visit the area but not purchase a house right away. I think you can keep your house a while longer yet without worries.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    God.. CLN seems to be the best to level first for the cross class, but it's hell to level. Anyone have an easy way to do this?
    CLN? For crafting you mean? If so, level them all to 15 first for cross class skills, then Culinarian to 37, Carpenter & Weaver to 50 for Byregot's Blessing & Careful Synthesis 2, then everything to 60.
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2017-04-06 at 03:00 PM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Is anyone having a 401 error with Mogstation? Entered my card details exactly right and it's throwing me 401 errors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    It's already been stated that Stormblood housing won't be available at launch. You can visit the area but not purchase a house right away. I think you can keep your house a while longer yet without worries.
    Yeah, I know - they haven't said anything (yet) about how long delay there is after launch before it's open for purchase?

I'd just prefer to have house auto-demolished in time to get few million back, otherwise I'll go very low if the prices are same as they were when they last added more wards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turn based combat always sort of took me out of the action. I tend to look at it as a simulator inside a game, which feels odd, because my decisions were never in real time. Some games do it well enough I suppose, but each game I play with the system always leaves me with the thought that it could have been done better, and gotten me more engaged if I had to make decisions about positioning and execution, rather than status ailments and menus.
    I love Grandia II's turn based combat.
    Also Dragon Age was pretty well done.
    Both certainly forced you to be aware of a characters position.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I love Grandia II's turn based combat.
    Also Dragon Age was pretty well done.
    Both certainly forced you to be aware of a characters position.
    The Grandia series of turn based combat was my favorite, being able to absolutely destroy enemies preparing a move and totally lock them out for the entire fight was extremely satisfying and a big change from just thinking about damage damage damage oh and some heals type gameplay seen in most of the JRPGs I've played. It adds a layer of strategy that isn't there in most other games; deciding whether to use X move for more damage or a heal, or use Y move on this other enemy to prevent them from using their move or use Z move to absorb the next big attack so you CAN use your big attack.

The story in Grandia II was also pretty good and was the first story (played it a LONG time ago) that actually surprised me with it's "big reveal." Fight between benevolent god and evil god and the benevolent god died in the battle with the evil god in ages past and NO ONE knew about it except like one dude, and the evil god is just now gathering enough strength to come back . Seen this many times since, but caught me off guard back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I dearly love Grandia II for the story, music and artwork. Esp being so critical about religion and accepting a belief at face value was a message to me when I was younger.
    It can be super easy though, if you know the resistances and are a heavy magic user. If you add counters to that it becomes a tiny bit ridiculous.
    That's not the reveal/twist though.
    That Granas, his reign and overabundance of technology (your basic utopia) had severe side effects (killing all imagination and the drive that comes from longing for things) and that Valmar is not a god but a force CREATED by humans using Granas' technology is.

Awesome battle music, b/c I am currently listening to it:
    Last edited by Granyala; 2017-04-06 at 06:14 PM.

Yes, I dearly love Grandia II for the story, music and artwork. Esp being so critical about religion and accepting a belief at face value was a message to me when I was younger.
    It can be super easy though, if you know the resistances and are a heavy magic user. If you add counters to that it becomes a tiny bit ridiculous.
    Agreed, Magic was always a bit too strong in the Grandia series, but so beautiful. I loved how they used FMV for some spells, (VP did the same thing, another good turn based game).

I also wonder if the part about religion gets me too. Xenogears happens to be my favorite game of all time, and I particularly love their use of religion in that game w/ respect to the Ethos.

I just so happen to be listening to the Grandia II soundtrack at this exact second too LOL. Prior to that was Zone of the Enders 2!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Agreed, Magic was always a bit too strong in the Grandia series, but so beautiful. I loved how they used FMV for some spells, (VP did the same thing, another good turn based game).
    Agreed!
    First time a certain blue haired boss beat the crap out of me so badly that I wanted to ditch the game.
    Then I leveled a bit and discovered Dragon Zap.

Was wondering whether it was still the same boss.

All this talk just makes me really sad that some of these old series are dead. Lunar, Wild Arms, Grandia, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears/saga, Golden Sun.

I also wonder if the part about religion gets me too. Xenogears happens to be my favorite game of all time, and I particularly love their use of religion in that game w/ respect to the Ethos.
    I absolutely love religious stuff mixed with advanced technology. I'm not sure what it is but that concept is just so enticing for me. Star Ocean and Xenogears/saga basically. I wish it was a more common thing.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2017-04-06 at 07:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I know i'm getting a little OT here, but I'm curious what games are you thinking about when mentioning turn based combat? Like what are your internal benchmarks? For better or for worse.
    Off the top of my head,

Divinity: Original Sin
    Pokemon
    Final Fantasy Series

I'm sure there are others, but they were much earlier in my life and the only impression they made was that they bored me. I have to be engaged by the combat almost immediately because it's how I express my character's growth (The most important thing in games, to me). So, I enjoyed the combat of games like Bastion, Hyper Light Drifter, The Witcher 2/3, etc. Surprisingly I didn't care for Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and enjoyed the Batman: Arkham series waymore.

Also, as I recall many turn based systems leaned towards games of numbers. For example, the final battle in Golden Sun 2 there was this near team wipe attack the boss could do. There was no way to avoid it, so you had to pray it just didn't happen. If it did, you spent the next however many turns just playing the "Resurrect" game, where you're just using revives in hopes of getting your party back up, hoping he doesn't wipe you again and praying you can get some attacks in before he does. Basically, that is one of my issues with turn based combat. It doesn't allow me to make split second decisions. They all have to be pre-planned and can be easily screwed over by RNG, which is never fun for me.

I liked Golden Sun/Golden Sun 2. Mostly because of the amazing puzzles and the good character writing/story. Although if it came out now, I think I'd prefer the game to be more modern, with a more involved combat system. I don't like waiting my turn, I want there to be a back and forth in real-time, where I can move around the battlefield and think on my feet; where blocking, parrying, dodging and/or timing attacks are important.
    Last edited by Advent; 2017-04-06 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    All this talk just makes me really sad that some of these old series are dead. Lunar, Wild Arms, Grandia, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears/saga, Golden Sun.

I absolutely love religious stuff mixed with advanced technology. I'm not sure what it is but that concept is just so enticing for me. Star Ocean and Xenogears/saga basically. I wish it was a more common thing.
    Wild Arms 3 got a PS4 port recently, its like £5 and fucking fantastic.

Now theres another jrpg i'd want an mmo of.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Wild Arms 3 got a PS4 port recently, its like £5 and fucking fantastic.

Now theres another jrpg i'd want an mmo of.
    i actualy got it over 2 months ago but i got so much stuff to play that i prob only have 3 hours in it
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Off the top of my head,
    Divinity: Original Sin
    If you think that positioning is irrelevant in D-OS, you definitely played it on easy.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you think that positioning is irrelevant in D-OS, you definitely played it on easy.
    I generally choose normal mode. But I couldn't get past the 1st area for some reason. I might have to start over and choose better class(es)

I'm pleased by the love for Grandia II!

I'm still working on my anima - I'm just about to hit the light grind which shouldn't be too difficult. I'll be doing AS1 over and over again so I'll likely pick up the PLD lion mount along the way as well as an added bonus.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Ginyu force invades eorzea

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"