Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Also, as I recall many turn based systems leaned towards games of numbers. For example, the final battle in Golden Sun 2 there was this near team wipe attack the boss could do. There was no way to avoid it, so you had to pray it just didn't happen. If it did, you spent the next however many turns just playing the "Resurrect" game, where you're just using revives in hopes of getting your party back up, hoping he doesn't wipe you again and praying you can get some attacks in before he does. Basically, that is one of my issues with turn based combat. It doesn't allow me to make split second decisions. They all have to be pre-planned and can be easily screwed over by RNG, which is never fun for me.

I liked Golden Sun/Golden Sun 2. Mostly because of the amazing puzzles and the good character writing/story. Although if it came out now, I think I'd prefer the game to be more modern, with a more involved combat system. I don't like waiting my turn, I want there to be a back and forth in real-time, where I can move around the battlefield and think on my feet; where blocking, parrying, dodging and/or timing attacks are important.
    I know the ability you're referring too and its not RNG. You were supposed to use your djinns properly to negate that ability. I forgot which one it was but I believe it was either an earth of fire djiin that had the ability I'm thinking of.

Agreed on puzzles and story. I really don't understand why that series never really took off. The first two games were fantastic in every regard.

Wild Arms 3 got a PS4 port recently, its like £5 and fucking fantastic.
    Yeah I already own it. I want a new entry in the series though...

Sigh if only there wasn't so many amazing games coming out during this generation rofl. Half my gaming time spent during the 360/PS3 era was on replaying older games because of the lack of good JRPGs.

Does PvP give light for the 3.0 anima?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Does PvP give light for the 3.0 anima?
    Frontline does, Wolves' Den does not. Specifically Seal Rock and Fields of Glory for frontline.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Frontline does, Wolves' Den does not. Specifically Seal Rock and Fields of Glory for frontline.
    Ah, thanks!

Off the top of my head,

Divinity: Original Sin
    Pokemon
    Final Fantasy Series

I'm sure there are others, but they were much earlier in my life and the only impression they made was that they bored me. I have to be engaged by the combat almost immediately because it's how I express my character's growth (The most important thing in games, to me).
    I remember playing D: OS and not being hooked, but I also have zero memory of this game so I can't provide much insight. As good as FF is as a series, it's probably one of the more boring turn based systems in the entire genre. Pokemon is also a pretty bad example.

I, like you, need combat to be good; but if the characters are good and the story is good I can overlook it for a single playthrough.

If progress and combat is what is most important to you and you're willing to give turn based another shot I strongly recommend Mana Khemia. It's kinda weeb if you hate that kinda thing, but the character growth is handled in such a good way, I really haven't seen a game do it as well, let alone better since (it's PS2 era).

Quick summary: from RPGfan.com http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/manakhemia/index.html It was rated 97% for gameplay and for good reason.

Combat in Mana Khemia is nothing short of fantastic. Your party, at its largest, contains eight people. Two have to totally sit out. The other six are divided into a front/back row setup. The front row is your active party, which appears on the screen during battle. The back row is your "support" party. Here's the fun part: support members jump in and out of battle as you see fit, either to defend or to do a follow-up chain attack. As your characters develop, they can learn different support abilities. For example, one character is able to defend the whole party from an area attack if he is brought out to defend. Before each attack made by an enemy, and after each attack made by you, there is a brief pause in which you can select any one of the three support members to jump in on the action. Of course, there is some "refresh" down-time required for support members. But generally, this keeps the otherwise turn-based system fun and action-packed. The enemies are no pushovers either. Many battles are simply a matter of "kill or be killed," so they are short, but they are also challenging. Gust did an incredible job balancing the difficulty level this time around. And, for those of you who love burst gauges with big, ridiculous special attacks, there's plenty of that here too.

Then there's character growth, which is directly linked to item synthesis. Nobody "levels up" in Mana Khemia. There are no experience points, only "alchemy points" (AP) which you earn in battle and then use in your "Grow Book." The various slots in your license-board-esque Grow Book are filled through three steps. First, you must have unlocked one spot adjacent to the one you want to unlock (with a free center point, like Scrabble). Then, you need to have synthesized the particular item displayed in this point (what that item is varies by character, though there are some shared items). Then, you need to spend AP to "purchase" whatever is on that spot in the grow book. You increase stats, learn abilities, maximize support skills, and even increase the number of hits done per attack, by filling this grow book. Per Gust standards, items become available for synthesis either through the obtaining of a recipe, or making variations upon a recipe, so Gust is able to control just how far your character grows from chapter to chapter. This system works very, very well. It's also addictive, and I found myself frequently checking the Grow Book to see what new slots I'd unlocked.
    Lastly I'd like to add that in this game you not only get new abilities from your grow book, but it also makes your existing ones stronger, makes them AOE, bigger AOE, hit more, do more dmg, add effects, cost less, etc. Your basic attacks get more complex animations and hits the more you invest into the book too (which I wish all games did, basic attacks don't have to always be so basic ). Even your support attacks/effects get better as you invest. They might go from a single guaranteed block to a party block or heal. Or they might make the person jumping in get the next turn no matter what, etc.

Basically, that is one of my issues with turn based combat. It doesn't allow me to make split second decisions. They all have to be pre-planned and can be easily screwed over by RNG, which is never fun for me.
    This is a fair dislike. I can't really debate this point. I think that most games don't really go down this path IMO, but I can tell you that Persona certainly does. lol.

I liked Golden Sun/Golden Sun 2. Mostly because of the amazing puzzles and the good character writing/story. Although if it came out now, I think I'd prefer the game to be more modern, with a more involved combat system. I don't like waiting my turn, I want there to be a back and forth in real-time, where I can move around the battlefield and think on my feet; where blocking, parrying, dodging and/or timing attacks are important.
    I have not played golden sun, but you guys seem like you're raving about it. I hate mobile gaming, but maybe I'll get it on the PC or something and try it out. Best to start with the first?

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Half my gaming time spent during the 360/PS3 era was on replaying older games because of the lack of good JRPGs.
    Same here. Replays of old games, or grabbing old games I never played (This is how I found Mana Khemia, both 1 and 2, and the Atelier Series in general. I just wished they didn't go the path the PS3 series went on it. Put generic combat systems in and made it timed and made it boring IMO of course.

Yeah I already own it. I want a new entry in the series though...

Sigh if only there wasn't so many amazing games coming out during this generation rofl. Half my gaming time spent during the 360/PS3 era was on replaying older games because of the lack of good JRPGs.
    I'm totally series, if there was a Wild Arms mmo like XIV i would probably even drop XIV for it. Jrpg meets wild west is so rare but so good.

plus its the closest you would ever get to a steelball run game.

Seems my mogstation issue was that Square isn't accepting my card because of their ancient fucking payment authentication system. Seems I can't purchase anything directly through mogstation with my card for a temporary period. Now I'm wondering if my sub will renew since it's the same card and saved to my Square Enix account.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Seems my mogstation issue was that Square isn't accepting my card because of their ancient fucking payment authentication system. Seems I can't purchase anything directly through mogstation with my card for a temporary period. Now I'm wondering if my sub will renew since it's the same card and saved to my Square Enix account.
    That's weird. How is an old authentication system suddenly no longer authenticating an on file card? That's really really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    That's weird. How is an old authentication system suddenly no longer authenticating an on file card? That's really really weird.
    Well I always have to enter my details when buying an item. When I picked the item it took me to the Ingencio payment page or w/e it's called on the mogstation. Entered card number, exp date and cvc code and gave me 401. This card is on file for my recurring sub though so I'm worried now it might not renew in 3 days. Just gonna switch to paying with Steam Wallet to be honest if it doesn't renew in 3 days. At least then I can just throw a years worth of Entry sub into the wallet and not worry about it for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Wild Arms 3 got a PS4 port recently, its like £5 and fucking fantastic.

Now theres another jrpg i'd want an mmo of.
    Holy shit. My god awful video game backlog starting in early 2016 gets even bigger. I never played 2..just the first game on psx and W3. They had some excellent music.

Now if only they'd release VP1 and 2 on the psn. For the longest time VP1 was damn near impossible to get working properly on a psx emulator and now that Square has merged with Enix we could maybe get some sweet VP events! The Tactics Ogre stuff in POTD has me mega hyped for the future. That second I heard Fog of Phantom I just freaked out (in a good way).
    Last edited by Ajora Glabados; 2017-04-07 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    That's what happened to me one day with Steam. Been using the same credit card for almost three years and one day it just doesn't work anymore. Bank blames Steam and Steam blames the bank. I ended up having to make a Paypal account and pay through there using the same card.

Now back to Mogstation. I cant actually use my card there to pay for anything be it either subscription or an optional item. It just fails... yet I can add crysta which is how I pay for my stuff. How does that make any sense? Rofl.

I have not played golden sun, but you guys seem like you're raving about it. I hate mobile gaming, but maybe I'll get it on the PC or something and try it out. Best to start with the first?
    Any person that loves the genre should do themselves the favor and play the two games on the GBA. They are absolutely fantastic and easily in the top echelon of the genre. And yes start with the first one as the the second game is a direct sequel to the first one as it takes place literally seconds after the first one ends in the same place. You can even import character data into the second one which is actually required if you want to fight the super boss of the second game.

When you do play them though be ready for the dungeons. These games have some of the most intricate puzzles I've seen in a game. The scale of them is pretty huge as they span the entire dungeon which can be several levels in depth.

I often replay PS1 and PS2 era RPG's simply because they tend to stand the test of time rather well if you don't care about fancy graphics being at the forefront. Lately I've had an itch to replay The Legend of Dragoon though I no longer own it so I ended up replaying Shadow Hearts instead.

15+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, I have actually purchased Persona 5 and I fully intend to play through it. If a game is good, I'm absolutely going to try it out.

Any person that loves the genre should do themselves the favor and play the two games on the GBA. They are absolutely fantastic and easily in the top echelon of the genre. And yes start with the first one as the the second game is a direct sequel to the first one as it takes place literally seconds after the first one ends in the same place. You can even import character data into the second one which is actually required if you want to fight the super boss of the second game.

When you do play them though be ready for the dungeons. These games have some of the most intricate puzzles I've seen in a game. The scale of them is pretty huge as they span the entire dungeon which can be several levels in depth.
    Oh Puzzles fun. Most games puzzles are usually pretty tame IMO, the only game that ever challenged me was the original Alunda. That fucking ice pillar room. Looking forward to it.

I often replay PS1 and PS2 era RPG's simply because they tend to stand the test of time rather well if you don't care about fancy graphics being at the forefront. Lately I've had an itch to replay The Legend of Dragoon though I no longer own it so I ended up replaying Shadow Hearts instead.
    I was going to mention legend of dragoon during the turned based combat discussion because imo they had a great way of implementing action into turn based combat

To be fair, I have actually purchased Persona 5 and I fully intend to play through it. If a game is good, I'm absolutely going to try it out.
    Awesome glad to hear it. One piece of advice (the game will tell you, don't ignore it).

Save often. Have several save files.

There will be times the MC (player character) gets randomly instagibbed (yes even on normal).

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I was going to mention legend of dragoon during the turned based combat discussion because imo they had a great way of implementing action into turn based combat
    One of my favorite games. I just love the characters, the art and styles. Good music too. It is practically the ONLY PSX era RPG I don't own a physical copy of. Buy it on PSN for like $5 like I did. Switching discs is much less a pain this way

I would be thrilled to see a remake/prequel or sequel to this game. I love the world.

Off topic, but now I'm mad because I still don't know where the hell my GBA got off to eons ago after college. Had both Golden Sun games and enjoyed the crap out of them, although I recall only beating the superboss in the first one (fun fight from what I recall). The way you could import save data from the first one into the second was really cool, too.

It's my birthday tomorrow so I, too, purchased Persona 5 after a friend suggested I look into it. I'm liking it so far - I'm very early on still but it's interesting. Reminds me a lot of Shadow Hearts in some ways due to the similar mix of dark themes and humour.

Yoshi-P is on record as saying we should play other games during downtime, after all.

As for FFXIV, at this point I've a few goals I intend to accomplish before Stormblood but the primary one if my anima which I should be able to finish off easily enough through roulettes alone. I haven't had much luck with finding a party for AS1 yet. >.>

It's my birthday tomorrow so I, too, purchased Persona 5 after a friend suggested I look into it. I'm liking it so far - I'm very early on still but it's interesting. Reminds me a lot of Shadow Hearts in some ways due to the similar mix of dark themes and humour.

Yoshi-P is on record as saying we should play other games during downtime, after all.

As for FFXIV, at this point I've a few goals I intend to accomplish before Stormblood but the primary one if my anima which I should be able to finish off easily enough through roulettes alone. I haven't had much luck with finding a party for AS1 yet. >.>
    Keep an eye on the Reddit light tracker thread for whenever it is in bonus. If you're on a tank or healer weapon, chances are you'll need to make your own group for it, because tank and healer spots for those group go like hotcakes since A1S can pretty much be done with 1 tank and healer, so you get groups wanting to run it with 6 dps (even though I have farmed it easily and reasonably quick with 3 tank 2 healer 3 dps groups).

10+ Year Old Account
    With my download speeds, we're at Stormblood early access before I've managed to download game or two.

Trying to get these couple last jobs out of the way (DRK 55, WAR 53, BLM 50) and remaining of Garo sets - then I'll have to focus on big school project to graduate this summer.