Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a big GitS fan, I think film summarized itself nicely.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Main character in this movie gets changed, it's all good.

Iron Fist gets petition for race change, SJW agenda that shits on source material.
    She is not changed. She is like the original manga version. A japanese person is an european prostetic body. Everything else is whats wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    Ghost in the Shell was a good cyberpunk movie and a bad Ghost in the Shell adaptation. They really should have filed off the serial numbers, changed character names and a few designs, and released it as an independent IP.

I'm not even talking whitewashing or whatever; they tried to combine four or five plot arcs from the movies and anime into one plot arc that robbed most of the characters of their backstories, almost entirely cut out Section 9 aside from Aramaki and Batou, greatly changed Kuze's motive and character arc from a morally-grey, sympathetic revolutionary leader into a standard revenge plot, and got rid of most of the philosophic wonderings of the source material in favor of a more simplified cyberpunk tale of a protagonist who begins as part of the machine and strikes out on her own against a seemingly-insurmountable corporate/government foe well-guarded by the existing power structure.

Like I said, not a bad cyberpunk flick (it's kind of a poor man's Blade Runner in some aspects), but it's not really worthy of the franchise it adapts.
    ^^ I agree 100%. They should have stuck more closely with the source material and had some faith that general audiences would appreciate having to think a bit during a movie. Half the draw to GitS is the Major and Section 9 doing cool shit.

"I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    --Bilbo Baggins
    Paarthurnax | Peijing

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    She is not changed. She is like the original manga version. A Japanese person is an european prostetic body. Everything else is whats wrong.
    I haven't read all of this thread so has anyone presented evidence that Motoko Kusanagi is actually supposed to have a Caucasian prosthetic body in the original manga or any of the anime adaptations or has everyone just agreed that "Japanese people drawn in anime-style look Caucasian" and "We can make up some fanwank justification for her having a caucasian prosthetic body" are valid arguments?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    The trailer makes it seems like a generic action movie.
    The movie also makes the movie seem like a generic action move. Easily the worst thing I have seen for awhile. At least it qas so boring I feel asleep twice watching it. Sadly the people I was with woke me up both times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I doubt that there will be a sequel.
    It looks like it made only $19mil this weekend. ($110mil budget)

Anime movies are hit or miss...mostly miss here.
    It certainly doesn't help that it is a shit movie.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    I disagree with so much of the criticism in this thread. My biggest problem is that they did not spend nearly as much time with world building...probably because GitS -IS- world building in and of itself.

I would get into spoilers but i don't know how to use the spoiler tag .

- - - Updated - - -

I am curious. Were you like myself and expecting something along the lines the laughing man arc neatly stitched together, long conversation and decision making scenes in tact or did you hate this movie for another reason?

I went in knowing that they would of had to bump up the action and make it the focus so that much didn't bother me.
    I wouldn't say I hate it. It just wasn't very entertaining. Some pretty slow parts for an action movie. If you don't know anything about GitS it does a poor job story telling. If you do it misses the mark there too. It felt like half of the movie was people being put back together.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I appreciated some scenes they borrowed directly from the anime and I liked the science fiction atmosphere of the city. Yeah, it was a little slow at times.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Just saw it, enjoyed it thoroughly. Not perfect by a long shot, but a very noble effort, it's not an easy thing to try and mix what is ostensibly two separate story lines, while also trying to bring something new to the table so it's not just a total remake, but I believe they did a pretty good job of it. Visually it's beautiful, the efforts of the production staff and WETA were well thought out and that soundtrack, Clint Mansell ftw. Some CG effects weren't great in a few spots, but that's a bit nitpicky. Would have liked to see a bit less cut out and like most things would have preferred a "Hard R," but hopefully the BluRay covers most of that.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

There was something lacking, the cohesive itslef. But not a bad movie for sure. I liked how they mixed stuff from franchise together to create their own version of it.
    Probably more likeable for people who have never seen anime, for those, who have, the original anime was probably better.

Deleted
    as a long time fan of the Anime.

for me the film , NAILED IT! was so in depth to the story and captured the characters perfectly.

Well apparently there's going to be a new Ghost in the Shell Anime Project. Source

Since it's being co-directed by Kenji Kamiyama, of Stand Alone Complex, it might be what people are looking for in GITS if this movie was not their cup of tea.

Since there won't be any interest in making some huge movie production with added promotional costs I'm sure it will be loads cheaper.

Movie officially bombed at the box office. Paramount blames it on their 'white washing'.
    Couldn't possibly be cardboard cutout characters and a bastardized plot turned into a revenge story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Movie officially bombed at the box office. Paramount blames it on their 'white washing'.
    Couldn't possibly be cardboard cutout characters and a bastardized plot turned into a revenge story.
    Or it was becuse they removed the robot nippels I never knowned that a robot body who have red or blue eyes did have a clear ethnic origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post

(after Starcraft remaster announcement, I demand a TA remaster! More people deserve to waste their time doing cool shit
    That would make my year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    That would make my year.
    Blizzard ought to buy the rights for the game, a new franchise for them. It's not like anybody is making a new TA game anyways...

...even the soundtrack was fucking awesome..
    Last edited by mmocced9c7d33d; 2017-04-07 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    There's probably a lot of deleted scenes they took out to make the movie shorter.

When it comes out on Bluray, hopefully it'll have some deleted scenes in which makes the movie more logical.
    Like they did with BvS, the deleted scenes made the movie better.

I want to believe there's half an hour of the movie missing. I really do. It probably won't change my perception of 'Robocop' plot tho :/

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    People get mad over lots of things

Girl thor
    Black spiderman
    Black stormtrooper
    Female starwars lead
    Black Johnny storm
    etc
    etc
    I think people get pissed because many of the movies are re-made just for the sake of making a race/gender change.

I have a friend that hates the Thor Movies because the made Heimdall black. Basically his reasoning is that was done on purpose as Heimdall, in Norse Mythology is described as being the "Whitest of the gods". What better way to get a jab in, then to take the basically albino of the gods and make him black...

I think the actor they picked did an excellent job in the role. But, at the same time, you can't deny the undertones of taking what is described as the whitest god, and making them black lol.