Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Its very likely (imo) that sometime in the future the human species will diverge into multiple species; either through natural or artificial selection on other planets if and when we are ever able to terraform and colonize Mars and other planets, the integration of cybernetics into our bodies or the introduction, removal or modification of genes into the human genome.
    We already have...

They're called Races.

inb4 liberal twats say i'm being "racist". Grow up, take a good look around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    In the current environment, a speciation event is virtually impossible.

So you're saying, African tribes whom have NEVER seen a modern day "city", Are not specialized hunter & gathers for the Jungle or Savannah?
    Because they certainly wouldn't make it in any given Starbucks.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

IIRC it would take another hundred thousand or so years for the human races to diverge into different species

10+ Year Old Account
    Eventually, sure. But for species divergence, we're talking about no longer being able to reproduce with each other. That's a LONG time coming. Divergent environmental adaptation, ala SEVENEVES is closer, even without genetic tinkering.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Damn right
    Tennisace is Paragon Shepard calling it now.

On Topic wasnt there an article that said human brains are getting smaller or something I also asked if the almost loss of our wisdom teeth is also considered evolution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karamaru View Post
    Tennisace is Paragon Shepard calling it now.

On Topic wasnt there an article that said human brains are getting smaller or something I also asked if the almost loss of our wisdom teeth is also considered evolution.
    Depends on the region, but yes average height is going down as being tall is no longer much of an evolutionary imperative.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Damn right

OT:

Possibly. At this point, it would require a civilization reset or space colonization and a butt load of time for it to happen.
    Speciation doesn't actually take all that long if the populations are completely isolated from one another. So I guess it depends what you mean by "butt load of time." Longer than a few generations, but not like 100k years or something. Much shorter time scales are possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    We already have...

They're called Races.

- - - Updated - - -

So you're saying, African tribes whom have NEVER seen a modern day "city", Are not specialized hunter & gathers for the Jungle or Savannah?
    I'm not sure you know what delineates one species from another. But different races of people aren't different species, they can interbreed and produce viable offspring, which is, in general, the main test for species differentiation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

We already have...

They're called Races.

- - - Updated - - -

All humans are the same species (Homo sapiens) and the same subspecies (sapiens), we haven't diverged enough evolutionarily for us to even be considered seperate subspecies, partially due to the slow rate of human evolution and our habit of crossing paths with other human populations due to our prehistoric migration patterns.

I'm talking about speciation; the divergence of the human species into multiple species either through evolution (by either natural selection which is unlikely or artificial selection) or through modification (i.e. Gene editing and cybernetic implants).

In the current environment, a speciation event is virtually impossible.
    Probably not in the current environment but if sexes get so fed up with each other that they have nothing further to do with each other and turn to cloning and other DNA manipulation to facilitate advancing the species it could happen. Similar what you see in Macross.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as we're on Earth, nope. And if it did it would most likely happen in Africa where genes are diverse.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

At that point we're pretty much deliberately causing speciation.

That is also an exceedingly unlikely scenario.
    Gee. I never knew you cared. Much love. Thank you.

Deleted
    We already have...

They're called Races.

- - - Updated - - -

You are wrong, there is only one human species and that is a scientific fact. Do not argue with science you absolute clown.

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

Unless, as other posters have said, we colonize other worlds, it won't happen. Right now, we're too intermingled. Evolution would require a group of humans to be isolated for many generations to produce enough traits that they could no longer produce viable offspring with humans.

So if we put a colony on Mars and left them alone a few thousand years, eventually, they'd diverge. But as of right now with everyone on Earth in such a global, interconnected society, it won't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

We already have...

They're called Races.

Races are still homo sapiens and the races are still too mixed to go any further than simply being another "breed" of the same species.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by rock4ever View Post
    I've pondered whether humans would allow the species to diverge, rather than say "weeding it out".
    Seems to me some people think it's already diverged.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Its very likely (imo) that sometime in the future the human species will diverge into multiple species; either through natural or artificial selection on other planets if and when we are ever able to terraform and colonize Mars and other planets, the integration of cybernetics into our bodies or the introduction, removal or modification of genes into the human genome.
    I could definitely see that happening if (when!) we colonize other planets. I could maybe see it happening when tech enters our physiology as a permanent install (i.e. implants), and a group of people decide to remain "natural".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I could definitely see that happening if (when!) we colonize other planets. I could maybe see it happening when tech enters our physiology as a permanent install (i.e. implants), and a group of people decide to remain "natural".
    Colonizing of other planets would be no different for diverging evolution than what happened during colonization of earth. The distance is only an issue until the point where it's short enouph to justify colonization. At which point, thinking of that planet as some different world, would be the same as Columbus landing in Americas.

Significance of distance is proportional to speed. If it takes even a year to travel, it would still not be secluded enouph.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    What if we were a colony from another species that at some point went wrong?

15+ Year Old Account
    I believe we will go extinct before that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    I can see it happening if we colonize other planets. The distance will create different lifestyles and cultures, leading up to divergence after many generations.
    Not just that, but the different atmospheres, gravity, food sources, base seed (as in people) compositions, etc. all come into play.

Heck, just take Mars; It would have to be seeded with Earth plants as it has none of its own, but how would those plants react to the changes? The temperature on Mars is -60 for most of the year. If there were water, it would be in the Northern Hemisphere, so the people would basically live around the equator. A Martian day is slightly longer than ours. Their year is 687 Earth days long. Their gravity, which is probably the biggest issue, is 0.375 that of Earth. A 100 lb person on Earth would only be 38lbs on Mars.

All that is going to mean change and pretty drastic changes. People would get taller, but they would probably not have the bone density or circulatory strength to ever come back to Earth without serious health complications. The cold would mean it would favor hairier, ape like bodies so we'd revert to hair covered people like our ancestors.

I can't see how the human race will diverge. Look at Trump's parents, Trump's dad was a rich workaholic, his mom was a household maid. Trump's dad said, "you show up for work on time, don't take a lot of sick days, you do a good job without complaining, what say we get married?" And so we have Trump.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I'm sure we'll obliterate ourselves long before this happens.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano