Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Returning to Hearthstone

I haven't played HS in quite a long time but I am thinking about starting again. I know they made a mode for it similar to standard in MTG. What I am wondering is which xpack/adventure would be the best to pick up and which set is the best to buy packs from? I just started browsing the Icy Veins guides to get an idea of what deck I might want to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

As soon as the next xpac goes live, which is Mid-April, only that xpac, cards released last year, and Classic/Basic cards will be part of Standard. So do not bother buying packs from xpacs or adventures that released before 2016.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    As soon as the next xpac goes live, which is Mid-April, only that xpac, cards released last year, and Classic/Basic cards will be part of Standard. So do not bother buying packs from xpacs or adventures that released before 2016.
    Ok. Thanks for the info. I will probably just get the new xpack and some packs for it.
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Un'goro is in line to be the worst expansion yet. My advice? Save your heart the trouble and play a better game. Don't get sucked in like all of us other suckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Ok. Thanks for the info. I will probably just get the new xpack and some packs for it.
    The way you worded that was weird. The new expansion hits the servers and allows you to buy card packs from that set. There's really no such thing as "getting the xpack". You just buy that expansion's cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    The way you worded that was weird. The new expansion hits the servers and allows you to buy card packs from that set. There's really no such thing as "getting the xpack". You just buy that expansion's cards.
    Oh I thought in the past you had to buy the xpack and packs. I seem to remember buying a wing or two in naxx as well as packs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea why anyone plays Hearthstone anymore. I love Blizzard, but they've gotten too big. They are starting to circle the drain the same way Activision, Ubisoft and EA did before them. The fact of the matter is that at this point, Blizzard is just milking its community for everything its worth. Ben Brode and his team have no idea what they are doing. If I was that bad at my job, it would be considered malpractice, I'd be in prison and have my license revoked.

Axing Adventures for another set we have to pay more money for per card is terrible. RNG issues abound everywhere, from card packs (1 legendary in 60 packs) to card draw (definitely stacked). Power creep is absurd. Aggro decks everywhere. Laughable balance (priests are STILL terrible). The META at roughly any given time is between 3-6 decks because of poor card design. Reno Jackson was in almost every single deck for a YEAR.

Why... why should I play this game anymore when Gwent (completely unique TCG) and Elder Scrolls: Legends (mix of HS meets MTG) are both incredibly superior games in every game design facet (both of which have anti-aggro mechanics)? Granted the clicky board and animations are better in Hearthstone, but that's it. That does not make a game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    I have no idea why anyone plays Hearthstone anymore. I love Blizzard, but they've gotten too big. They are starting to circle the drain the same way Activision, Ubisoft and EA did before them. The fact of the matter is that at this point, Blizzard is just milking its community for everything its worth. Ben Brode and his team have no idea what they are doing. If I was that bad at my job, it would be considered malpractice, I'd be in prison and have my license revoked.
    A lot of the times people say this, they never have anything to back it up.

I don't think they're bad at their jobs at all. If they truly were, no one would be playing, or at least not enough would be.

Axing Adventures for another set we have to pay more money for per card is terrible. RNG issues abound everywhere, from card packs (1 legendary in 60 packs) to card draw (definitely stacked). Power creep is absurd. Aggro decks everywhere. Laughable balance (priests are STILL terrible). The META at roughly any given time is between 3-6 decks because of poor card design. Reno Jackson was in almost every single deck for a YEAR.
    Reno Jackson was not in almost every single deck for a year. That would be Dr.Boom that has only ever come close to that honor.

Reno had to have a specific type of deck built just to use him, and that didn't include Pirates. I'm a bit confused as to how you would say there's aggro decks everywhere while saying Reno was in almost every deck, when Reno is the complete opposite of an aggro deck.

Why... why should I play this game anymore when Gwent (completely unique TCG) and Elder Scrolls: Legends (mix of HS meets MTG) are both incredibly superior games in every game design facet (both of which have anti-aggro mechanics)? Granted the clicky board and animations are better in Hearthstone, but that's it. That does not make a game.
    You don't have to play Hearthstone.

Personally, I won't touch Gwent because even in the Witcher 3 it wasn't that entertaining to me. I purposely avoided it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jester Joe, it's clear you haven't played Gwent because the card game is very different from Gwent in Witcher 3. And Reno Jackson defined the meta along with Dr Boom. They cant even nerf their OP cards in decent time. Like most of the MMO champion mods, youre a Blizzard defender to the Nth degree, so there isnt really a point of continuing a discussion. Just know I've been a Blizzard fanboy since 1996, and if I'm saying something they are doing is bad, then its probably very bad.

kk

Axing Adventures for another set we have to pay more money for per card is terrible. Yep.
    RNG issues abound everywhere, from card packs (1 legendary in 60 packs) to card draw (definitely stacked). Card packs are probably random. Card draw is definitely random, anyone who says otherwise should learn what shuffling is.
    Power creep is absurd. Not really. Synergy changes each expansion, which to Blizzard's credit makes the game fresher.
    Aggro decks everywhere. ? Not really.
    Laughable balance (priests are STILL terrible). They COULD balance more often.
    The META at roughly any given time is between 3-6 decks because of poor card design. Mmmm. Yeah.
    Reno Jackson was in almost every single deck for a YEAR. Not really. Reno was pretty niche and only supported Renolock as top-tier for a while. It was only until Kazakus came out (and we had a full 2 year's worth of cards in standard to have 30 decent individual cards) that made Reno decks shine.
    /10chars

Jester Joe, it's clear you haven't played Gwent because the card game is very different from Gwent in Witcher 3.
    I never claimed I did, but you're not proving anything here. I said I don't want to touch it because the Gwent in W3 turned me off. Why would I go and bother with something I didn't enjoy to begin with? Also last I checked it was still in a closed beta.

And Reno Jackson defined the meta along with Dr Boom.
    Not even close though. You even contradicted it yourself, aggro still is strong as hell. That's a legit criticism. Reno IS NOT aggro though. He was the most anti aggro card ever, and now he's gone. You wouldn't find a single aggro deck running him. Ergo, he couldn't have been in almost every deck, unless you think the deck would be running a 6 drop 4/6 for aggro.

They cant even nerf their OP cards in decent time. Like most of the MMO champion mods, youre a Blizzard defender to the Nth degree, so there isnt really a point of continuing a discussion. Just know I've been a Blizzard fanboy since 1996, and if I'm saying something they are doing is bad, then its probably very bad.
    Because most the cards people consider OP aren't that OP really (Like your Reno Jackson example, he required you to build the deck around him and have specific limitations. He wasn't a Dr.Boom that could fit in at literally any point in time).

And no, you being a fanboy since 1996 has nothing to do with it, that doesn't make your criticism suddenly more valid, especially since HS is a newer game and their games before that had absolutely nothing to do with card games so it's not like you loving Blizzard from their inception gives you vast insight to card games suddenly.

Just like me being a mod has nothing to do with it, since if you actually followed my posts, you would have seen I was ripping into WoD just like everyone else almost.

10+ Year Old Account

I think people should stop having expectations about the game and play it for what it is. I realized a long time ago paying money and gambling for collectable cards to play a game vs others doing the same thing is pure bullshit but I can still do the dailies and have fun for free playing arena whenever I want and acquire cards that way. Also watching it on Twitch is kind of entertaining and I don't think I'd play it all without that quite frankly.

As far as other CCG's go, no more punishment thank you.

Axing Adventures for another set we have to pay more money for per card is terrible.
    They haven't axed adventures they're being folded into xpacs starting next xpac. Strong opinions based on bullshit makes?

Gwent & Elder Scrolls must be such great games considering you're wasting your time complaining about HS instead of playing said superior games.

RNG was always a part of HS, if you think the game was based around higher than average RNG all of a sudden then you clearly weren't playing HS when it came out. Ever hear of Arcane Missiles and Ragnaros from vanilla? Completely random targets. Sylvannas? Yep, steals a random minion if there were minions left over. Thoughtsteal, Mind Vision, Mindgames? Random, random, & more random. The game didn't become heavily influenced by RNG all of a sudden, it was always there. Your point is moot.

Aggro being everywhere? Aggro was prevelant enough in early HS. Old Buzzard + Hounds combo creating godly weenie minion spam & face assault engine? Zoolock (the non-board control based version)? Aggro again, it was always there.

And if you think priest is garbage then you clearly haven't been watching any of the streams about players owning with N'Zoth & the new priest quest.

All in all, I can't help, but get the sense that you're an all-star complainer of the game, but you don't in fact spend much time playing it to truely understand the game enough to make educated complaints.

- - - Updated - - -

...and if I'm saying something they are doing is bad, then its probably very bad.
    I know I'm feeding you, but this made me laugh. Your views about Blizzard & HS aren't nearly as important as your giving credit to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    Gwent & Elder Scrolls must be such great games considering you're wasting your time complaining about HS instead of playing said superior games.
    Pretty much this... *sigh*

Honestly, why people are playing HS is much less of a mystery than why others bother going to HS forums to rant about it. I don't like majority of video games, both past and present, and I've stopped playing many of them. That includes WoW but I'm not narcissistic enough to continuously stalk their forums to tell everybody why.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    Pretty much this... *sigh*

Honestly, why people are playing HS is much less of a mystery than why others bother going to HS forums to rant about it. I don't like majority of video games, both past and present, and I've stopped playing many of them. That includes WoW but I'm not narcissistic enough to continuously stalk their forums to tell everybody why.
    Holy shit I would have used "then" in that spot. I read your post and noticed it and thought you made the error, but I thought about it more and realized that I've been the one wrong my whole life.

Uhhh uhhhhhhhhhhhhh (think of something on topic to talk about, Blue) uhhhh yeah Hearthstone is gr8.

Actually guys I think if Hearthstone wasn't part of the Blizzard universe, people wouldn't be playing. Like, obviously the initial influx of HSers was because it was from Blizzard, but suddenly if they rebranded Hearthstone, got rid of lore characters and renamed everyone and new pictures, but kept all the effects the same, like half the population wouldn't log in after two weeks.

Deleted
    Actually guys I think if Hearthstone wasn't part of the Blizzard universe, people wouldn't be playing. Like, obviously the initial influx of HSers was because it was from Blizzard, but suddenly if they rebranded Hearthstone, got rid of lore characters and renamed everyone and new pictures, but kept all the effects the same, like half the population wouldn't log in after two weeks.
    Funny thing is that it'd still be more popular than many other games in the industry. I would also point out that you could say the same thing about everything, from music to books to a box of cereal. Do you think people buy Kellogg's cereal because it is necessarily the best cereal on the market? Clothes, cars, drinks, everything is about branding.

It still doesn't make it a bad game; it just makes sense for Blizzard to benefit from its brand.

Of course everything has its flaws but the irony is that, if it wasn't for all these I don't play HS anymore rants, we might even be able to host a conversation about HS's flaws. However everyone is fed up with it now, because it invariably devolves into a shit flinging contest, usually from the get go.

Mmmm, I disagree.

Hearthstone got popular because the Blizzard title, no doubt. It gained its initial traction because of that.

It stayed popular though because it was actually a fun and good game.

I mean, compare it to HotS. Gained a ton of attention because of Blizzard, but it's still middle of the pack in terms of MOBAs right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Mmmm, I disagree.

Hearthstone got popular because the Blizzard title, no doubt. It gained its initial traction because of that.

It stayed popular though because it was actually a fun and good game.

I mean, compare it to HotS. Gained a ton of attention because of Blizzard, but it's still middle of the pack in terms of MOBAs right now.
    The game being fun/good is only like 1/3 of the reason people stay. And it's the weakest factor for retaining customers. It could be the most fun game in the world, but people move on after a while regardless.

Another 1/3 is because Blizzard pushes for Hearthstone to be an esport by making tournaments with huge payouts. Undoubtedly, if it wasn't Blizzard being the one doing this then the prize money would be lower, and the organization/marketing of these esports would be less known about/garner less attention (especially since Blizzard hosts it's own Blizzcon stuff).

The last 1/3 of the reason HS is popular is because it's made from Blizzard lore. Look at how many nerds lit up when they announced Maiev and started getting mad that I called her fat or not a Rogue, and look how many people heard "Un'Goro" from a ""leak"" and started guessing about it because they knew what it was from WoW. That hype/expectation is what puts it over the top for enough players to keep playing.

The game being fun/good is only like 1/3 of the reason people stay. And it's the weakest factor for retaining customers. It could be the most fun game in the world, but people move on after a while regardless.

Another 1/3 is because Blizzard pushes for Hearthstone to be an esport by making tournaments with huge payouts. Undoubtedly, if it wasn't Blizzard being the one doing this then the prize money would be lower, and the organization/marketing of these esports would be less known about/garner less attention (especially since Blizzard hosts it's own Blizzcon stuff).

The last 1/3 of the reason HS is popular is because it's made from Blizzard lore. Look at how many nerds lit up when they announced Maiev and started getting mad that I called her fat or not a Rogue, and look how many people heard "Un'Goro" from a ""leak"" and started guessing about it because they knew what it was from WoW. That hype/expectation is what puts it over the top for enough players to keep playing.
    Do you have a source to back this claim up? Because I feel it's a lot more reasonable to assume that it retained players through their enjoyment, not because 1/3rd of the popularity is lore, especially when Blizzard outright said Hearthstone "lore" is not canon. The only lore from Hearthstone is that it's a game that's played in Taverns in Warcraft, otherwise anything can be disregarded. (Unless Blizzard makes an exception and implements something from Hearthstone into WoW, like Sir Finley).

Also, yet again, HotS as an example, they push several times to make tournaments with a decent payout for HotS, yet it's still middle of the pack. So clearly holding tournaments isn't enough if the game isn't succeeding on its own.

So that kinda rules out 2/3rds of your playerbase, only leaving one option.