Someone tell Valyrian to be less noisy. After all some of us are dead over here

Quote Originally Posted by AceofH View Post
    Someone tell Valyrian to be less noisy. After all some of us are dead over here
    Dead? As in, your time zone is ahead of me, and I'm posting at what seems to be late at night? It's only 7 PM here in California!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Dead? As in, your time zone is ahead of me, and I'm posting at what seems to be late at night? It's only 7 PM here in California!
    No no, he really means dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    No no, he really means dead.
    Someone on this thread died? Who?

Digging through the past pages.

No introduction, but here's a picture of Shoemaker-Levy 9 comet striking Jupiter in 1994. It hit with enough energy to leave Earth-sized marks on the outer atmosphere.

Kimi no Na wa (Your Name)
    - 7-7.5/10

The Good:

I went into the movie expecting certain things (romance, beautiful scenery, etc.) but what I did not anticipate was the comedy. This caught me by surprise as the few Shinkai works I have seen featured little in the way of jokes and relied far more on the heartstrings. The Freaky Friday routine was surprisingly enjoyable, how it unfolds slowly and with only one half at a time, then moving together. Even the simpler gags, such as Taki(Mitsuha) fondling "his" breasts, became good running gags. My personal favorites of this part were the pronoun confusion by Mitsuha(Taki) on the school roof and when Taki(Mitsuha) finally completely freaks the younger sister out in the morning. Most of my enjoyment of the movie is derived from this first segment.

The more humorous early segments also did an excellent job of laying the groundwork of the latter half of the movie. The characters were far more endearing for having laughed with/at them. This is also a seamless way for us to learn more about our two main personalities; what they like doing, what they do with their time, their aspirations, their quirks, etc. all flow naturally from them having to explain to each other what to do and not do while in the other's body.

The preparation also deserves some praise for what it doesn't talk about: namely all the characters that don't matter. This is probably a case where I'm more used to series than movies, but the movie knew which characters were relevant and important and didn't waste our time with the others. We see enough of the main duo's families to know their situations, and enough of the associated friends to get a taste of their personalities. And then nothing more, which is exactly what is needed.

Moving onto the latter half of the movie, what caught me the most was that Mitsuha was dead. It really did put a hook in me when they discovered the destroyed town, and ultimately reading her name on the registry of victims. The first part of the movie really did do its job with selling her. Her "first" death scene was also solid for its unexpectedness.

Finally, it goes without saying nowadays, but Shinkai's films have a top animation budget so they look good. Although in this case, some of my favorite animation was actually during the flashback Taki has from drinking the saké. The chalk-stylized touch was enjoyable. This isn't to disregard some of the grander shots, such as the view Taki has of the village at sunset, but the obvious push for the wow-factor in the scene slightly dulls it for me.

The Bad:

Shinkai loves to insert supernatural elements into his movies, and honestly I think they are usually the worse for it when things turn serious. What worked as a humorous plot device to get to know our characters now turns into a convenient tearjerker way to have them forget each others names and be forced to find each other. This type of complaint is the same I have made for series from Shiki to Clannad: I have a hard time getting any emotional traction with excessively artificial situations. Cases of mutual retrograde amnesia are just not common enough.

My other primary problem with the end was the pacing. I know that the staggered uncertainty is what people pay for, but for me it just felt dragged out. From the moment that Taki goes back in time from the shrine, it is clear that the villagers will survive and our couple will get together in the end (if there was any doubt before, I guess). All that remains is to execute the final arc. When we snap back to the present the movie delays confirming that the village survived (we know they did), then dilly-dallies around with whether Taki will see Mitsuha in Tokyo (he will), and finally has them miss each other repeatedly until the inevitable conclusion (of course). Again, I know this is what makes the movie so broadly popular, but for me it's simply cheap.

Ultimately, I still thought it was a solid movie. I enjoyed the viewing and would recommend other people to go, but I would not consider it a moving masterpiece that it has been built up to be.
    Last edited by Neichus; 2017-04-09 at 04:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Finally finished Azumanga Daioh. I honestly feel it's slightly overrated, but it was still pretty fun. I want to marry Nyamo, she is perfect. Osaka and Chiyo are also super cute daughters.

db super 85 that buu is such a heartthrob! also was there ever really a reason given why fat buu was so much weaker than majin buu? I don't remember it
    Last edited by bals; 2017-04-09 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    db super 85 that buu is such a heartthrob! also was there ever really a reason given why fat buu was so much weaker than majin buu? I don't remember it
    Majin Buu killed Northern and Western Supreme Kais, then absorbed the Southern Supreme Kai, which made him Super Buu, then he ended up absorbing Grand Supreme Kai, which made him Fat Buu and made him weaker, since the goodness or whatever of the Grand Kai made him more childlike and less pure evil incarnate like Kid Buu.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal the Shieldhog View Post
    Majin Buu killed Northern and Western Supreme Kais, then absorbed the Southern Supreme Kai, which made him Super Buu, then he ended up absorbing Grand Supreme Kai, which made him Fat Buu and made him weaker, since the goodness or whatever of the Grand Kai made him more childlike and less pure evil incarnate like Kid Buu.
    dbz don't remember that at all. Just always found it odd that the two buus were so different in power levels after they split

demichan ep 1 the note passing at the end was so cute

btw anyone have a good hitman reborn torrent? feel like rewatching some shonen and sick of naruto/bleach. can't find a decent torrent though
    Last edited by bals; 2017-04-09 at 06:09 AM.

Someone on this thread died? Who?

Digging through the past pages.
    The joke is that I come and go for months at a time and therefore am dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    *looks at your MAL*

"8/10"

Are you sure Sj, are you?

I haven't updated it yet, but yes, definitely a 9/10 when I get around to adding everything. I had to watch on the go or by streaming since the gf was using my computer for school so often, so I didn't have Taiga's help in keeping MAL up-to-date.

Shirobako - 6/10 (Fine)
    You're the only person besides myself that I know of that didn't think this wasn't all that great. I usually like shows like this too, but I just never felt the characters were all that real or likable.

Your Name - 8/10 (Very Good)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    The more I think about this movie, the less I'm impressed by it. The montage in the middle happened right where the more interesting character development should have been and that bothers me a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh shit, Opera now has a Dark Mode which makes it look similar to Edge. Fantastic. Why is everything still light colored on phones, consoles, and PCs? It's terrible on the eyes at night and eats battery like a mofo.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, looks like Girlish Number is getting a second season.

Edit: Now that I'm reading the tweet for myself, it looks like the LN/manga is getting a 4-koma and that is getting an anime adaptation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Also, looks like Girlish Number is getting a second season.

Edit: Now that I'm reading the tweet for myself, it looks like the LN/manga is getting a 4-koma and that is getting an anime adaptation.
    Guess the merch or material sold well after the anime, cause the anime sold next to nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    finally starting to play danganronpa series. any vets that can tell me the recommended order of games / anime? I know release order was 1 - 2 - ultra despair - animes
    [CENTER]

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal Panda View Post
    finally starting to play danganronpa series. any vets that can tell me the recommended order of games / anime? I know release order was 1 - 2 - ultra despair - animes
    1 -> Danganronpa: the Animation (optional) -> 2 -> Ultra Despair Girls -> Future Arc/Despair Arc (watch these at the same time)

Ultra Despair Girls is a side-game that takes place before 2, but it spoils something major in 2 so you should play it afterwards. You honestly don't *really* need to play (I didn't) but it has a minor focus in the Future Arc; reading a summary is probably enough.

Future/Despair Arc are meant to be watched at the same time because they work together: an episode in future arc might focus on two characters, and then the episode in despair explains their background. They also have reveals which lose meaning unless you are watching both shows at the same time. Basically just watch E01 of Future, then E01 of Despair, then E02 of Future, and on.

I think there's OVAs and stuff now but I haven't seen them so I'm not sure where they fit in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    thank ye. I played #1 years ago w/ emulator + fan translation, so I'll probably finish it again in a week or so then I'll start 2, and by the time I finish it ultra despair should come out for ps4
    [CENTER]

10+ Year Old Account
    eromanga sensei 01 - this is already better than oreimo
    fucking kill yourself. Oreimo is a work of art.

15+ Year Old Account
    Alice to Zouroku 02 - Sana is so goddamn cute. I'm really in love with this show so far, I just hope it stays this good when the plot ramps up.

Tsugumomo 02 - Before this started airing I remember hearing how it was supposed to be really good, but this is pretty shitty so far. I'm honestly close to dropping it. Kiriha is cute and all but that's literally all the show has going for it.

Uchouten Kazoku S2 - To be completely honest, I barely remember anything that happened in S1. But this was still pretty great. I just hope Benten returns sooner rather than later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uchouten Kazoku S2 - To be completely honest, I barely remember anything that happened in S1. But this was still pretty great. I just hope Benten returns sooner rather than later.
    I'm thinking of rewatching S1...maybe
    [CENTER]

Just saw the finale to Iron-Blooded Orphans, putting it on my list of favorite anime.

Well, Mika's death was to be expected, but I thought that Akihiro would've escaped. At least he managed to take down Iok. Gaelio x Julieta confirmed, YES YES YESSS!!! Rustal working with Kudeila to restore order and rights to the system was awesome. Tekkaden continues their objective of uplifting humanity out of the ashes in the form of the Admoss company. Looks Ride might get his own spin off series (I'd love that). I wish we could've seen more of the old man Makanai and the Neo Turbines, but that aside, I couldn't ask for a better send off.

9/10 (Great)

Dragon Maid - 9/10

KyoAni did a great job of adding some soul to an already decent series. I read quite a few chapters of the manga once the anime was announced, just to see if it was going to be something that would interest me. It was good, but not good enough to really stoke my interest. The anime just did such a good job with a majority of the characters and brought them to life and made them feel real. I was able to get invested in Kobayashi and her struggles with loneliness and not feeling a connection to her family. I was rooting for Tohru to get through to Kobayashi and for their relationship to become something meaningful. Watching Kanna and Saikawa share some really good moments in the finale was nice. I feel Elma was just kinda tacked on (she was one of my favorites in the manga) and her gag, and Luccoa's as well, got stale fairly quickly. Fafnir was quite the surprised in how he was able to deliver some really "compact" yet emotionally stirring appearances. The final episode was perfect and really completed the sale of the characters to me. In one episode, they were able to give each character a bit of screen time that elevated them above their running gags and solidify them as "real people" when a "real" conflict finally arose.

The animation, of course, was fantastic as expected from KyoAni. I was concerned that the manga's art style wasn't going to translate well enough to let KyoAni show off their talents, but I was pleasantly surprised. They did some fantastic things with the action scenes, but the lighting in this show was absolutely superb. One of my girlfriend's majors was film, and she was so impressed by the lighting that she actually started the show from the beginning and watch it herself. The music was another thing that really stood out to me as there were some really fun BGM mixed in with some really moving pieces. The music and the lighting and color palette changes flawlessly manipulated the mood of the show. I'll likely end up watching it again, just to pay extra attention to the production choices.

So the tl;dr: It's a fun show with plenty of emotional depth, that also looks and sounds amazing, that wraps up nicely in a finale that ranks in my top 10 endings easily.

tl;dr for the tl;dr: Yuru Yuru with dragons by KyoAni.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add a little blurb about Kuzu no Honkai.

Kuzu no Honkai - 7.5/10

It was a guilty pleasure to watch, as it was pretty melodramatic and downright dumb at times. It was a well-made show and I really did enjoy watching it. Some of the things that happened were pretty pointless, and it was hard to suspend disbelief at times in regards to the actions of the adults. It was still a good show, and good enough to round up to 8/10 on MAL. There's not much else to say. A solid, entertaining show that might not be for everyone.