Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    I dunno which implication in your post is worse.

That you think everyone is like you and therefore what worked for you will work for everyone, or...... That you think everyone SHOULD be like you, and those that aren't are clearly doing it wrong.

News flash: Not everyone is like you. Some people have timid personalities, are afraid of conflict, are riddled with insecurities, etc etc etc. Your solution won't work for them. Bullies take a gleeful joy at picking on people who can't fight back. You could fight them off, grats, NOT EVERYONE CAN DO THAT.

So insensitive.
    So then what is the alternative solution? Everyone who is mean on the internet goes to prison?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    And if the offender was doing that, it's a direct form of harassment. Punishable by law.

There's no need to assign some arbitrary "cyber-bullying" tag, or pretend he's responsible for her death.
    Luckily, most states already have a law that covers cyberbullying, so for those states it isn't an "arbitrary" tag.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Or we could just... you know... take it seriously, so that their parents are likely to take away their internet privileges for a month and threaten to send them to boarding school, like normal parents.
    So, if somebody is mean on the internet, we require their parents by law to disallow their children from accessing the internet in any fashion, or force them by law to send their children to boarding school? What if they aren't under the authority of their parents anymore? Prison then? What if the parents don't follow through and their child accesses the internet? Do the parents go to prison? What if the child sneaks out, or uses the internet elsewhere, or at school? Does the child go to prison then? Or perhaps still the parents? Or perhaps the school board or the teacher responsible for the student at the time?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    They could get blocked from the internet instead?
    Good idea. Let's just start banning people from the interne- wait... How would that even work? How would that be possible short of placing them under house arrest?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Luckily, most states already have a law that covers cyberbullying, so for those states it isn't an "arbitrary" tag.
    Except it is.

I don't think that it should be illegal to insult people over the internet, even 100x. However, if they are blocked and continue contacting you through different mediums, that should be considered harassment and punishable.

This whole cyberbullying nonsense is reactionary, not logical. If it was logical, it wouldn't care if the victim committed suicide. It would examine the actions of the offender.

In "cyberbullying" the offender could toss a few insults, and if the victim commits suicide, everyone grabs pitchforks. However, if the victim uses a block button and the offender never contacts them again, no crime is committed, right?

It's either harassment, or it isn't. Insulting someone should never, ever be grounds for criminal punishment, even if the victim commits suicide. Harassment, however, should be.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    So, if somebody is mean on the internet, we require their parents by law to disallow their children from accessing the internet in any fashion, or force them by law to send their children to boarding school? What if they aren't under the authority of their parents anymore? Prison then?
    Thought alt-righters were all about sending people to prison for committing any crime?

Why is it suddenly a taboo subject as soon as liberals are in agreement of it? Oh wait, my question answers itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Except it is.

I don't think that it should be illegal to insult people over the internet, even 100x. However, if they are blocked and continue contacting you through different mediums, that should be considered harassment and punishable.

This whole cyberbullying nonsense is reactionary, not logical. If it was logical, it wouldn't care if the victim committed suicide. It would examine the actions of the offender.

In "cyberbullying" the offender could toss a few insults, and if the victim commits suicide, everyone grabs pitchforks. However, if the victim uses a block button and the offender never contacts them again, no crime is committed, right?

It's either harassment, or it isn't. Insulting someone should never, ever be grounds for criminal punishment, even if the victim commits suicide. Harassment, however, should be.
    So basically, any law you feel good about is necessary, and any law you feel bad about is arbitrary, even though you aren't applying any set of rational standards?

Hint: repeatedly insulting people, is harassment. But I can't deny I like how you alt-righters split hairs in a shameless fashion if it means winning an argument.

P.S. I would like to see children who "opt-out" of bullying by simply never going to school ever again. Which is as ridiculous as people never participating on the internet if they get bullied on it.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2017-04-10 at 07:50 AM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

I mean, you're quite obviously being as obtuse as possible about this as though the societal systems, legal and social, for correcting problem behavior are totally unknown to you and I don't especially care to humor you while you waste my time.
    If you can't even hope to explain how the law would handle this, then stop insisting that the law could handle it. It is almost as if policing people for 'being mean on the internet' is a multi-faceted issue that can't be solved with just whining about them doing so. So go ahead and just resort to a total non-answer such as the one you just gave, because you can't be bothered to actually think seriously about the 'solution' to the problem and all the ramifications that would come with such a solution.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thought alt-righters were all about sending people to prison for committing any crime?

Why is it suddenly a taboo subject as soon as liberals are in agreement of it? Oh wait, my question answers itself.

So basically, any law you feel good about is necessary, and any law you feel bad about is arbitrary, even though you aren't applying any set of rational standards?

Hint: repeatedly insulting people, is harassment. But I can't deny I like how you alt-righters split hairs in a shameless fashion if it means winning an argument.
    Oh look, you're calling me alt-right yet again with no justification. How cute

Hint: If I call you a moron 100x and you kill yourself, am I responsible for your death? Should I go to prison for the rest of my life? If you actually believe that, then I feel sorry for you.

I'm not saying that we should put our children through hell. I am saying that we shouldn't coddle them and raise with to just expect other people to only ever be nice and respectful.

Also, no, it isn't a necessity that two people living together both must work. If you want to have a child then you should create an environment where they can thrive in. If you can't afford to do that, downsize. If you can't place your children over your own personal interests, then perhaps you should be rethinking having children.
    Maybe you can create this environment for yourself, and I can say I have done so for myself. But to assume everyone is capable of such a thing is ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous. People aren't rational thinking beings, they make mistakes continually and some people are born into a life of mistakes made by others. The uneasy truth is that a lot of people are incapable of changing their life or even realizing that what they're doing (and what they believe to be right) is detrimental to their own happiness.

What I'm saying is that if we perhaps helped those people that can't help themselves instead of telling them to man the fuck up they might become valuable members of society. Even if you only care about yourself you should realize a child does not contribute to society, and anyone who kills him/herself especially at a young age is most likely a net loss on society. If you help these people (and helping people provides jobs) they'll end up becoming a contribute more often then not.

Everyone saying we should just leave these people to rot is part of the problem, you're incapable of understanding the problem and coming here venting your regressive opinion is like committing micro-suicide on your own intelligence every time you post something.

Except being mean on the internet isn't a crime. You are the ones that want it to be a crime, and so I ask you how you would pull off enforcing it. The ball is in your court to explain how these situations would be handled, yet you refuse to go into detail and instead resort to this kind of ad hominem.

7+ Year Old Account
    Except being mean on the internet isn't a crime. You are the ones that want it to be a crime, and so I ask you how you would pull off enforcing it. The ball is in your court to explain how these situations would be handled, yet you refuse to go into detail and instead resort to this kind of ad hominem.
    Exactly. When you try to be logical and consistent on the nature of cyberbullying, nobody is offering any specific guidelines. Instead, it's all vague nonsense.

Except being mean on the internet isn't a crime.
    It is, for the 30+ states which legislated against cyberbullying.

You are the ones that want it to be a crime, and so I ask you how you would pull off enforcing it. The ball is in your court to explain how these situations would be handled, yet you refuse to go into detail and instead resort to this kind of ad hominem.
    Actually, you alt-righters are the ones who want it to not be a crime, because it's already written in law for 30+ states. So best way about it is to whine to your Emperor Trump and hopefully he pressures his team into writing in the freedom to maliciously harm others you don't like.

Telling us MMOC forum posters you are mad because many lawmakers choose to restrict the freedom to harm others isn't going to change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    Maybe you can create this environment for yourself, and I can say I have done so for myself. But to assume everyone is capable of such a thing is ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous. People aren't rational thinking beings, they make mistakes continually and some people are born into a life of mistakes made by others. The uneasy truth is that a lot of people are incapable of changing their life or even realizing that what they're doing (and what they believe to be right) is detrimental to their own happiness.

What I'm saying is that if we perhaps helped those people that can't help themselves instead of telling them to man the fuck up they might become valuable members of society. Even if you only care about yourself you should realize a child does not contribute to society, and anyone who kills him/herself especially at a young age is most likely a net loss on society. If you help these people (and helping people provides jobs) they'll end up becoming a contribute more often then not.

Everyone saying we should just leave these people to rot is part of the problem, you're incapable of understanding the problem and coming here venting your regressive opinion is like committing micro-suicide on your own intelligence every time you post something.
    Except society doesn't want us to do it. I am all for helping others. I'm just not for forcing other people to help others against their will. The truth is that making the right decisions before making a mistake is far more effective at preventing these crappy situations than just letting them do whatever they want and covering for their mistakes afterwards. Yet I am called intolerant for suggesting that people don't do drugs, drinks or smoke since it ruins lives. Yet I am called intolerant for suggesting that people don't sleep around since it very often produces unwanted children. Yet I am called intolerant for suggesting that people prioritize changing themselves rather than just wishing that they could change others.

7+ Year Old Account

Actually, you alt-righters are the ones who want it to not be a crime, because it's already written in law for 30+ states. So best way about it is to whine to your Emperor Trump and hopefully he pressures his team into writing in the freedom to maliciously harm others you don't like.

Telling us MMOC forum posters you are mad because many lawmakers choose to restrict the freedom to harm others isn't going to change anything.
    Perhaps you should read most of the existing laws on cyberbullying. Most of them say that *schools* should have policies to combat cyberbullying, not that there is a specific criminal offense associated with it. I actually find it amusing that you would bother bringing up the state statistics without reading the laws.

edit: Since you have a hard-on for existing laws, you claiming I am "alt-right" was intended to annoy me, therefore under Texas law you could be jailed for criminal harassment. It is, of course, an absurd law, but it's still the current standard. So even if some states have advanced (vague) cyberbullying laws, that doesn't mean it is a good thing.

Really? So the person in WoW that told me I suck is breaking the law?

- - - Updated - - -

It's like no matter what I write, people will just read whatever the fuck they want.
    Well yes, I'm sorry. When you don't post anything of value I can only interpret so much from it. All you said was "There are laws that do stuff though!". If you can't bother to go into detail about how these 'problems' are being solved consistently, then why bother simply referencing that they apparently are?

Except society doesn't want us to do it. I am all for helping others. I'm just not for forcing other people to help others against their will. The truth is that making the right decisions before making a mistake is far more effective at preventing these crappy situations than just letting them do whatever they want and covering for their mistakes afterwards. Yet I am called intolerant for suggesting that people don't do drugs, drinks or smoke since it ruins lives. Yet I am called intolerant for suggesting that people don't sleep around since it very often produces unwanted children. Yet I am called intolerant for suggesting that people prioritize changing themselves rather than just wishing that they could change others.
    But you are calling for other people to change by saying they should prioritize changing themselves. I agree with you that change won't come quickly and the main problem is society not wanting it to change. But I think that's what this whole topic has been about, about the perception of the problem. If we can change how society views these problems maybe society will become more lenient to people who need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I assume if someone kept whispering you in WoW that you should kill yourself on a daily or even hourly basis and you told a GM, that player would very likely be permabanned.
    But he said I suck, and that is mean, and that is offensive, and I am deeply distressed by it. Therefore he should go to jail and be fined and I should be compensated.

Or... is there... like a difference? What if they only told me I should kill myself once or twice? What about three times? What about four? If cyber-bullying really is against the law, then shouldn't blizzard report it to the authorities and give them their mailing address so SWAT can go and take that scum of the earth down?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    But you are calling for other people to change by saying they should prioritize changing themselves. I agree with you that change won't come quickly and the main problem is society not wanting it to change. But I think that's what this whole topic has been about, about the perception of the problem. If we can change how society views these problems maybe society will become more lenient to people who need help.
    The problem is that society currently only sees these situations as being a literal spawn of satan harassing and abusing an innocent completely blameless victim.

If he never bullied this girl in RL then I think parents of this girl are responsible as well for this accident since they should learn her how to not care about cyber bullies, and how suicide will hurt her family most if she would do this (I guess it is too hard for some parents to talk to their children how much they love them and they don't want to lose them).

"Developmentally, our kids are not prepared or ready to respond or manage the stress cyber bullying brings," Jess Fenchel said.
    Of course they are not prepared if parents did not prepare them for stuff like that, and they did not learn their children about how much their live is worth to them...

But apparently it is just better to create even more "safe spaces" so those people will never learn how life in reality.
    Last edited by Alexeht; 2017-04-10 at 08:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Maybe people call you intolerant because I haven't seen you suggest once that the person doing the bullying should change anything about themselves too.

The problem is that society currently only sees these situations as being a literal spawn of satan harassing and abusing an innocent completely blameless victim.
    The problem is that a lot of people have uneducated and ignorant opinions and are unwilling to prioritize changing themselves in order to grasp the situation properly so they then can form an educated opinion. In most cases both the victim and bully would go well off receiving care from professionals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    its sad but truth is a lot of kids are simply weak nowadays because their parents try to keep them in bubble and when they realise that world is not about cottons and candy they break down mentaly

if she commited suicide because of a little bullying in school she should most probably commited suicide as adoult too as she woudl meet with much harsher enviroment in work and in life.

its parents fault for raising kids in west as pussies nowadays when in middle east 10 year olds know very well what war is and that bullying is nothing but a joke compared to what life can bring you. tell the kids in slumps in china or other easter countries how a little of bulliing is bad when they often starve for months because their parent cannot afford to feed them properly.
    Arguments like these support school shootings.