Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    That you should respect religious beliefs. Sorry, but most religions are just utter bullshit, and bullshit deserves no respect.
    Thing is you have to be pretty arrogant to claim that you know where everything ultimately came from because nobody actually knows. You would look pretty stupid if we somehow find out that we were all created by a giant flying spaghetti monster. Just saying.

But I would agree that there are certain beliefs that absolutely do not deserve respect and instead deserve disdain and disgust.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    is tennisace the right answer to the question?
    Seems legit to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Unless their right to believe it starts killing people.

...and I'm talking about faith healing.
    I mean it's pretty hilarious watching it on TV, but when you start to realize that some people with cancer are literally dying because they won't go to the doctor... Yeah then it's not so funny.

That said, there is a tiny grain of truth there. Having a positive outlook has been shown to improve your chances. So believing that you'll survive and be OK can actually help.

People that try to downplay mental illness, addictions, and even certain phobias, and forms of bullying, as shit that one needs to just get over. Fuck you, idiot. They infest these forums in particular. I refuse to even waste time engaging these fucks.

Lack of empathy is not a strength.

Also, rich people who look down on non-rich people. Fuck you too. Most of you would die first in the zombie apocalypse anyway. Level ones, the whole lot of em.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Thing is you have to be pretty arrogant to claim that you know where everything ultimately came from because nobody actually knows. You would look pretty stupid if we somehow find out that we were all created by a giant flying spaghetti monster. Just saying.

But I would agree that there are certain beliefs that absolutely do not deserve respect and instead deserve disdain and disgust.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems legit to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean it's pretty hilarious watching it on TV, but when you start to realize that some people with cancer are literally dying because they won't go to the doctor... Yeah then it's not so funny.

That said, there is a tiny grain of truth there. Having a positive outlook has been shown to improve your chances. So believing that you'll survive and be OK can actually help.
    Is that not Darwinian selection at that point?

10+ Year Old Account
    I really hate those that think they know everithing about someone just by looking. Sadly that's nearly 100% of population, acording to Dr. Freud.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    When I see someone suggesting bruteforce as a solution to every single problem in the world. it drives me mad.
    Yeap...
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Poverty? Let poor people die out
    So... You just use brute force on them? Hmmmm....

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Therec View Post
    Is that not Darwinian selection at that point?
    Technically no. In order to be considered darwinism, they would have to be killed off before they had their chance to pass on their genes. Most cancer patients are well above child bearing age.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

People who give up easily.

Game of Rocket League I just played as a prime example.
    Go 1-0 down in the first 30 seconds.

"Why do you want to forfeit?"
    "We're going to lose, might as well forfeit and save time".

When I didn't forfeit, he started spinning around
    Granted, he was probably just a troll, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Respect your elders, authority, cops, etc.
    Soldiers protect our freedom.
    I can see why the elders thing might bother people although I'd still agree that you should respect your elders just like you should respect anyone, but authority/cops? I mean are you suggesting you should disrespect them? Because good luck with that. Enjoy getting a ticket every time you're pulled over. I mean if you have an ounce of sense you should at least give cops the same respect you would give anyone with a gun.

"The customer is always right"

FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKERS, YOU ARE ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS WRONG. Customers know jack shit about anything, they know jackshit about a current sale, they know jackshit about what products you've historically carried, and you know jack shit about what it's like to run a call center.

You are the worst most soul sucking bastards in the fucking world, it's not going to kill you that your pants are late. And Yes I know we shipped you everything because a package weighing 12 pounds is not missing 5 out of your 6 jeans.

Is it just me or did this turn into a vent thread :P
    Last edited by prwraith; 2017-04-10 at 03:19 PM.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    "Participating is more important than winning".

This entire mentality breeds losers and makes it so competitive people who strive/fight for the best possible outcome are shunned as anti-social try-hards. Instead you're rewarded for half-assed attempts, deserve a pat on the back for failing because "at least you tried". There's no learning involved, no lessons learned. The goal is in the attempt, not in the outcome.

A very concrete example is in my piano studies: Only a few years ago there were exams at the end of every year and certain milestones were mandatory before being able to advance to the next year. You guaranteed that you weren't wasting the time and resources of both the aspiring student who cannot keep up and the teachers/entire organization behind it.
    Now there are no exams for adults. None. You can study an instrument for 12 years and be at the level of someone in his/her 2nd year. "Permanent evaluation" is what this system is called, and there's no penalty for not advancing except for a hopefully stern rebuttal from your teacher.
    This creates the problem that students don't feel the urge to practice diligently. Intrinsic motivation only carries you so far, it won't get you behind your piano 1h every evening, 365 days per year. Quality of students is dropping rapidly, because they do not have both intrinsic and extrinsic forces spurring them on to improve at a rapid pace, and your teacher lacks the tools to push you to study more.

It's a stupid example, but for me it's symptomatic of the "participation trophy mentality".
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2017-04-10 at 03:32 PM.

"That's the way we've always done it."

I question everything unless I know it works, and even then I try to analyze what I'm doing to see if it's still the best way to do it. I just can't stand people/ mindsets of people who can't or won't think for themselves.

My other main issue is people who believe their comfort or whatever gives them the right to act like a total asshole. Recently saw a video online of some chick going absolutely ballistic in a food shop (think it was a poke bowl place?) because two people in line were kissing and she went on a rant saying it's disgusting and that she'd call the police, even getting the shop workers and other patrons involved since she was screaming so loud. Absolutely despise people like that and somewhat seriously, though not really...kind of.... wish they'd all get hit by a truck or at least get a nice bitch slap to the face from someone they respect to get them to wake the fuck up because that mind set and behavior is totally unacceptable and toxic.

People who speak with absolute confidence about things they have no idea about, and refuse to acknowledge that someone with professional experience in the field might know better, and all of that just because they saw something in a news article.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Technically no. In order to be considered darwinism, they would have to be killed off before they had their chance to pass on their genes. Most cancer patients are well above child bearing age.
    Now the thought that these people have children makes me sad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    "Participating is more important than winning".

This entire mentality breeds losers and makes it so competitive people who strive/fight for the best possible outcome are shunned as anti-social try-hards.

Instead you're rewarded for half-assed attempts, deserve a pat on the back for failing because "at least you tried". There's no learning involved, no lessons learned. The goal is in the attempt, not in the outcome.
    Two separate measures. Participation rewards aren't meant to measure learning, and aren't used that way.

A very concrete example is in my piano studies: Only a few years ago there were exams at the end of every year and certain milestones were mandatory before being able to advance to the next year. You guaranteed that you weren't wasting the time and resources of both the aspiring student who cannot keep up and the teachers/entire organization behind it.
    Now there are no exams for adults. None. You can study an instrument for 12 years and be at the level of someone in his/her 2nd year. "Permanent evaluation" is what this system is called, and there's no penalty for not advancing except for a hopefully stern rebuttal from your teacher.
    This creates the problem that students don't feel the urge to practice diligently. Intrinsic motivation only carries you so far, it won't get you behind your piano 1h every evening, 365 days per year. Quality of students is dropping rapidly, because they do not have both intrinsic and extrinsic forces spurring them on to improve at a rapid pace, and your teacher lacks the tools to push you to study more.
    Or because they don't have the time to dedicate that strongly to learning piano. Why is their speed of learning an issue for you? It doesn't affect you in any way. It doesn't even affect their teacher, really. If they're happy with their progress and how much time they can apply to it, why should it matter to you at all?

It just means that maybe you have to evaluate students by their actual capabilities, rather than just by what year they're in.

To make matters worse, here's the issue with rewarding only exceptional performance. If you're doing a sports competition, and you're giving out bronze, silver, and gold medals, then three competitors will get any award. And that's it. If you've got 300 people competing, the majority won't win anything. So why are they there? You've established that the goal and purpose is to achieve that medal. If you don't think you can, why bother at all? It just incentivizes people giving up if they're not the best at something. Doing your best doesn't matter unless you can "win". Setting a new personal best is completely irrelevant, because you still came in #5, and get nothing, fuck you.

While there's room for that kind of competition at the top, when we're talking about kids, what's the point of that? It just disheartens kids and crushes their dreams. If you're not winning, just give up because it's pointless. That's a bad message.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just general mentalities of internet badasses that act like they can't empathize with anything ever. Especially so for addiction and depression. Annoying as shit reading terrible stories about some poor kid committing suicide and then some assburger needs to come in and tell everyone that they were bullied for playing WoW or some shit but because of their Strong Will™ they overcame the adversity and that only "weak" people commit suicide. I have some choice words for these people but y'know rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post

I never said I knew, I am an agnostic atheist. I freely admit I don't know. It's mostly religious people who think they know because some ancient book of myths told them so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I really hate those that think they know everithing about someone just by looking. Sadly that's nearly 100% of population, acording to Dr. Freud.

Yeap...

So... You just use brute force on them? Hmmmm....
    Hmmm, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Men thinking they are superior to the opposite gender, meanwhile thousands of women...
    That reminds me, people who think the war of the sexes is a real thing and not just TV bullshit.

"The customer is always right."

Nope, it's the other way around actually.

1) Arrogance
    2) Selfishness (especially combined with arrogance)
    3) Close-mindedness (I already know everything I need to know and have no desire to learn/understand/empathize)

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you don't think you can, why bother at all? It just incentivizes people giving up if they're not the best at something. Doing your best doesn't matter unless you can "win". Setting a new personal best is completely irrelevant, because you still came in #5, and get nothing, fuck you.

While there's room for that kind of competition at the top, when we're talking about kids, what's the point of that? It just disheartens kids and crushes their dreams. If you're not winning, just give up because it's pointless. That's a bad message.
    It's not really a mystery why anything competitive is as caustic as it is in the US. American society ingrains the mentality of "you need to be the best, period" into children from the start, where working together with others, or being selfless is seen as weak. I don't blame schools, or organized sports for this, since they're often the venues that try to push team-work and selflessness, but rather blame parents for that kind of myopic thinking. Especially the, "MY child isn't a loser bench-warmer" types who get into screaming matches with coaches during games.

It's the primary mentality that prevents me from playing competitive games. I can't stand caustic people who care more about themselves and their meaningless metrics of superiority (kills, in particular) when they've let the team down by being a lone wolf who did nothing but put everyone else down for not being on his level. It even makes WoW pugs difficult to stomach at times, because Mr 910ilvl in a random heroic just can't be arsed to have any patience with the 830ilvl alt or first-time player who's trying to catch up. It's such a disgustingly destructive mentality.
    Last edited by Krigaren; 2017-04-10 at 09:10 PM.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

When people step in at the first sign of any conflict between children. Let them figure it out themselves.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*