Help with frost dps

-removed-

practicing again.
    Last edited by Ferrair; 2017-04-03 at 04:03 AM.

Just generally not following the rotation closely enough.

You start frostbolt casts when you have FoF charges left, sometimes you flurry without casting frostbolt first, not saving frozen orb when you have <20s left on IV cd, not saving procs when you have <10s left on IV cd, not saving IV when you know BL is coming soon (on star augur) so you can 2x IL flurry..

All of these small mistakes add up. Most of them result in lower IV uptime, using flurry without frostbolt results in fewer frostbolt crits, which lowers chain reaction uptime, and missing the opportunity of insane burst with BL + IV just drags it down

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post

You start frostbolt casts when you have FoF charges left, sometimes you flurry without casting frostbolt first, not saving frozen orb when you have <20s left on IV cd, not saving procs when you have <10s left on IV cd, not saving IV when you know BL is coming soon (on star augur) so you can 2x IL flurry..

All of these small mistakes add up. Most of them result in lower IV uptime, using flurry without frostbolt results in fewer frostbolt crits, which lowers chain reaction uptime, and missing the opportunity of insane burst with BL + IV just drags it down
    Ok i will try again and see if i get better results.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

This was an insanely useful quick response. The explanation of the effects of misplay were real nice
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

You mention that starting frostbolt while having finger of frost is bad, so you're supposed to spam out IL raw when you have FoF? For some reason I thought IL was supposed to follow a frostbolt everytime you had FoF.

Quote Originally Posted by Noggy View Post
    You mention that starting frostbolt while having finger of frost is bad, so you're supposed to spam out IL raw when you have FoF? For some reason I thought IL was supposed to follow a frostbolt everytime you had FoF.
    Last time that was true was in HFC with class trinket. There is no reason to sit on FoF charges.

Deleted
    There is a really good reason of not dumping all your FoF charge at the same time : to refresh your chain reaction buff. Doing some frost bolt while at one or two charges of FoF will help you having a better uptime of chain reaction which result in a higher dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloub View Post
    There is a really good reason of not dumping all your FoF charge at the same time : to refresh your chain reaction buff. Doing some frost bolt while at one or two charges of FoF will help you having a better uptime of chain reaction which result in a higher dps.
    ... and increase your chance to munch FoF when BF procs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloub View Post
    That will not outweigh the munching you'd lose when gaining a BF proc. With 2 pc T19 and Brain freeze being over 30%, you should drop all FoF before casting Frostbolt.

so in general is it correct (this is excluding cool downs like IV, BL, etc. obviously stack some shit if those are about to pop)
    Dump FoF procs > if BF, cast frostbolt-flurry-lance > ebonbolt > frostbolt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kluian05 View Post
    That will not outweigh the munching you'd lose when gaining a BF proc. With 2 pc T19 and Brain freeze being over 30%, you should drop all FoF before casting Frostbolt.
    I'm confused. How does proccing BF while holding FoF make you munch on FoF? You can simply dump your FoF stacks before using BF, no?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kluian05 View Post

Maybe it will not outweigh the muching but i don't care, doing some top 3 rank is sufficient for me. And you are fun, if you do a frostbolt while at 1 FoF and 0 BF. If you gain a BF there is no munching.

Quote Originally Posted by Keletys View Post
    I'm confused. How does proccing BF while holding FoF make you munch on FoF? You can simply dump your FoF stacks before using BF, no?
    It's not munching, FOF, it's munching BF.

First, you're always gonna be casting. This means you will find yourself with 1 FOF and 1 BF proc, but already mid-casting Frostbolt.

If you cast the FOF first, the Frostbolt could proc another BF, causing you to munch the BF already procced. That's why we usually got with the BF proc, and munch FOF because 1 BF proc is usually worth more than 1 FOF proc.
    This does not apply if you have both gloves and bracer legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post

First, you're always gonna be casting. This means you will find yourself with 1 FOF and 1 BF proc, but already mid-casting Frostbolt.

If you cast the FOF first, the Frostbolt could proc another BF, causing you to munch the BF already procced. That's why we usually got with the BF proc, and munch FOF because 1 BF proc is usually worth more than 1 FOF proc.
    Related BF munching question. If IV is almost off cooldown and you proc 1 or 2 FoF and a BF. What should you do?

1) continue FB casts until IV
    2) Dump BF and hold off on IL until IV
    3) standard rotation of FB->Flurry->IL

(I've been doing 3, but I have a hard time with IV uptime, no gloves and I spec LW + SI)

Quote Originally Posted by nickseng View Post

But is it worth it to potentaily munch a BF proc vs definatly munching a FOF proc, heard conflicting info on it.

Quote Originally Posted by itchynose View Post
    Related BF munching question. If IV is almost off cooldown and you proc 1 or 2 FoF and a BF. What should you do?

1) continue FB casts until IV
    2) Dump BF and hold off on IL until IV
    3) standard rotation of FB->Flurry->IL

(I've been doing 3, but I have a hard time with IV uptime, no gloves and I spec LW + SI)

It depends on how close the IV cooldown is, but in general, I'd do 3 too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aktec View Post
    But is it worth it to potentaily munch a BF proc vs definatly munching a FOF proc, heard conflicting info on it.
    FOF increases damage, while BF enables a FrB crit (increases damage), stacks Chain Reaction, and reduces IV cooldown. And Flurry has a higher dpet than Ice Lance.

Of course, there are situations where munching BF is better, like if you have Vashj and Magtheridon, or your IV is about to run out, etc.