Page 22 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    What would you do if you had to be somewhere and you were chosen to be removed from the flight?
    I my country we have rules set after the Nazi occupation ('40-'45) that you don't have to follow rules which are unethical. "Befehl ist befehl" isn't absolute here, everyone has to think for himself. With that in mind no Police officer in my country would remove someone in this situation, the airline would have been ordered to transport their own personnel on another flight. Any Police officer who would act this way under these circumstances would face disciplinary actions against him, and rightfully so!

Despicable. And one of the many reasons i'll never travel to the US, your rights are not protected there.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    "When an oversale occurs, the Department of Transportation (DOT) requires airlines to ask people who aren't in a hurry to give up their seats voluntarily"
    Ok, this was not done here, but there's a section about involuntary too. Still, this was a doctor in need to get to patients, close enough to be in a hurry, but let's see the involuntary part too.

"DOT requires each airline to give all passengers who are bumped involuntarily a written statement describing their rights and explaining how the carrier decides who gets on an oversold flight and who doesn't. Those travelers who don't get to fly are frequently entitled to denied boarding compensation in the form of a check or cash."
    Was he given a statement in written form before being removed by force? No clue, I doubt it.
    And he was already on the flight, so this law seems to apply BEFORE you get on a flight since it talks about who GETS ON. He was already on.

"The rules do not apply to charter flights, or to scheduled flights operated with planes that hold fewer than 30 passengers."
    Not the case.

"Airlines set their own "boarding priorities" -- the order in which they will bump different categories of passengers in an oversale situation. When a flight is oversold and there are not enough volunteers, some airlines bump passengers with the lowest fares first. Others bump the last passengers to check in. Once you have purchased your ticket, the most effective way to reduce the risk of being bumped is to get to the airport early."
    He was there in time. he had boarded. Doesn't apply.

"Airlines may offer free tickets or dollar-amount vouchers for future flights in place of a check for denied boarding compensation. However, if you are bumped involuntarily you have the right to insist on a check if that is your preference. Once you cash the check (or accept the free flight), you will probably lose the ability to pursue more money from the airline later on. However, if being bumped costs you more money than the airline will pay you at the airport, you can try to negotiate a higher settlement with their complaint department. If this doesn't work, you usually have 30 days from the date on the check to decide if you want to accept the amount of the check. You are always free to decline the check (e.g., not cash it) and take the airline to court to try to obtain more compensation. DOT's denied boarding regulation spells out the airlines' minimum obligation to people they bump involuntarily. Finally, don't be a "no-show." If you are holding confirmed reservations you don't plan to use, notify the airline. If you don't, they will cancel all onward or return reservations on your trip."
    Oh, would you look at this, you can take the company to court even if you were denied BOARDING. This man had already boarded, so this makes the situation one that is not under the current code you linked.
    So, not only did United fuck up on a PR level, they even broke the law.

Good. I hope United gets fucked in the courts over this.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I'm sure they will be fine. 48 hours from now this will be forgotten.
    Just like http://www.cbsnews.com/news/while-wo...ceos-get-rich/
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerot View Post
    Shh, no talk about how corporations are fucking over consumers and workers. This is MURICA! Where corporations are good and the government is evil for trying to regulate corporations.

I'm sure it'll trickle down eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Again, I have no issue with them being able to throw money at solving their greed induced errors, I have an issue with them being able to force paying customers off against their will. And THAT is something that is 100% the fault of customers not demanding it change.
    You claim it is greed and I say it is the difference between running in the red or the black on your flights. If you constantly have half full flights you are not going to be in business for long.

Quite an informative article here.
    http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/vid...united-flight/

He was the only one that refused to leave.

The plane departed without him three hours later.

Last year United forced ~3700 off their planes. And ~63,800 volunteered to leave due to oversold tickets. That is out of over 86 million passengers.
    United is "middle of the pack" when it comes to bumping passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    You claim it is greed and I say it is the difference between running in the red or the black on your flights. If you constantly have half full flights you are not going to be in business for long.
    lol

You think United is barely breaking even on their flights?

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    I'm not going to argue how often this does or does not cause an issue, but your anecdotal 36 individual flights are a drop in the bucket.
    Oh wow, you can google. So show me out of all those flights how many had to offer incentives to passengers to take a later flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    I my country we have rules set after the Nazi occupation ('40-'45) that you don't have to follow rules which are unethical. "Befehl ist befehl" isn't absolute here, everyone has to think for himself. With that in mind no Police officer in my country would remove someone in this situation, the airline would have been ordered to transport their own personnel on another flight. Any Police officer who would act this way under these circumstances would face disciplinary actions against him, and rightfully so!

Despicable. And one of the many reasons i'll never travel to the US, your rights are not protected there.
    You do realize ALL major airlines do this. ALL major commercial airlines. It has nothing to do with the US. You can try all you might to turn this into an anti-American thread. But it will just fail.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-04-10 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Why don't the airlines just let people pay more to have a guaranteed spot with no refunds offered within 2 weeks of the flight or something?
    What they should do is when overbooking those overbooked people should be on Standby. Let them know in advance that they might not have a seat on the plane so they have a chance to secure alternative arrangements. Inform them of the compensations they will receive should they be denied boarding. Have them board the plane last just to make sure that there will in fact be room for them.

Randomly picking 4 names off the list of passengers is a bad way of going about it. Waiting until the plane is already boarded before asking people to leave is worse.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    "When an oversale occurs, the Department of Transportation (DOT) requires airlines to ask people who aren't in a hurry to give up their seats voluntarily"
    Ok, this was not done here, but there's a section about involuntary too. Still, this was a doctor in need to get to patients, close enough to be in a hurry, but let's see the involuntary part too.
    Yes, it was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    lol

You think United is barely breaking even on their flights?
    On a full flight or half full flight? If you could have a full flight, why would you accept a half full flight?

When commercial airlines start charging double the ticket price they will bitch about that then.

- - - Updated - - -

When commercial airlines start charging double the ticket price they will bitch about that then. Because companies aren't supposed to make money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Just because the person is a doctor doesn't give him special privileges.

With the said it sucks what the airline industry does to it's customers each and every day.
    I sincerely hope a doctor isn't waylaid on the way to you or one of yours having an emergency in the hospital.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    You do realize ALL airlines do this. ALL commercial airlines. It has nothing to do with the US.
    Ehhhhh no.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

Oh wow, you can google. So show me out of all those flights how many had to offer incentives to passengers to take a later flight.
    Again, I'm not arguing how often a problem it is or isn't.

I'm just letting you know your anecdote is laughable and doesn't make you an expert on the matter. Ta~

On a full flight or half full flight? If you could have a full flight, why would you accept a half full flight?
    I'm going to need some actual evidence that 50% of people don't show up to their flights if you're going to keep slinging this bullshit around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    I sincerely hope a doctor isn't waylaid on the way to you or one of yours having an emergency in the hospital.
    Have to get another doctor to do the procedure. We have plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Again, I'm not arguing how often a problem it is or isn't.

I'm just letting you know your anecdote is laughable and doesn't make you an expert on the matter. Ta~
    How is it laughable? It is a rare event, that was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolecent View Post
    Ehhhhh no.
    Which big commercial airline does not. Overbooking is an industry standard.
    Perhaps they all do not. The major ones do.

We're not talking about half full flights.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.