Page 26 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    "When an oversale occurs, the Department of Transportation (DOT) requires airlines to ask people who aren't in a hurry to give up their seats voluntarily"
    Ok, this was not done here, but there's a section about involuntary too. Still, this was a doctor in need to get to patients, close enough to be in a hurry, but let's see the involuntary part too.

"DOT requires each airline to give all passengers who are bumped involuntarily a written statement describing their rights and explaining how the carrier decides who gets on an oversold flight and who doesn't. Those travelers who don't get to fly are frequently entitled to denied boarding compensation in the form of a check or cash."
    Was he given a statement in written form before being removed by force? No clue, I doubt it.
    And he was already on the flight, so this law seems to apply BEFORE you get on a flight since it talks about who GETS ON. He was already on.

"The rules do not apply to charter flights, or to scheduled flights operated with planes that hold fewer than 30 passengers."
    Not the case.

"Airlines set their own "boarding priorities" -- the order in which they will bump different categories of passengers in an oversale situation. When a flight is oversold and there are not enough volunteers, some airlines bump passengers with the lowest fares first. Others bump the last passengers to check in. Once you have purchased your ticket, the most effective way to reduce the risk of being bumped is to get to the airport early."
    He was there in time. he had boarded. Doesn't apply.

"Airlines may offer free tickets or dollar-amount vouchers for future flights in place of a check for denied boarding compensation. However, if you are bumped involuntarily you have the right to insist on a check if that is your preference. Once you cash the check (or accept the free flight), you will probably lose the ability to pursue more money from the airline later on. However, if being bumped costs you more money than the airline will pay you at the airport, you can try to negotiate a higher settlement with their complaint department. If this doesn't work, you usually have 30 days from the date on the check to decide if you want to accept the amount of the check. You are always free to decline the check (e.g., not cash it) and take the airline to court to try to obtain more compensation. DOT's denied boarding regulation spells out the airlines' minimum obligation to people they bump involuntarily. Finally, don't be a "no-show." If you are holding confirmed reservations you don't plan to use, notify the airline. If you don't, they will cancel all onward or return reservations on your trip."
    Oh, would you look at this, you can take the company to court even if you were denied BOARDING. This man had already boarded, so this makes the situation one that is not under the current code you linked.
    +1
    ./10characters

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    He shouldn't have needed to leave in the first place.
    He agreed to their terms when he purchased his ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    What they should do is when overbooking those overbooked people should be on Standby. Let them know in advance that they might not have a seat on the plane so they have a chance to secure alternative arrangements. Inform them of the compensations they will receive should they be denied boarding. Have them board the plane last just to make sure that there will in fact be room for them.

Randomly picking 4 names off the list of passengers is a bad way of going about it. Waiting until the plane is already boarded before asking people to leave is worse.
    Tickets sold last usually cost much more. The companies wouldn't want to sacrifice their most profitable tickets by making it evident that they are unreliable. People would want to pay less for those tickets, not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    TYL: you can resolve issues without acting like a child, who knew? Oh wait, I did.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck with the lawsuit, more people should read the fine print when they purchase airfare.
    100% this. @Barnabas-your entitled attitude is not surprising but relatively amusing. read my earlier post about safety of flight. if desired, i will be more than willing to show you why it is necessary for the good of everyone to keep the weight within spec. do also keep in mind, that you agree to terms when you agree to fly with just about any airline. typically, one of those terms is for them to reserve the right to do what is necessary to create a safe flight, so yeah.....good luck with that lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    What other options are there than remove people that there aren't any seats for?

While it sucks for that guy he should just have left on his own, anything that happened to him is his own fault.
    The only one at fault is the airline for over booking, if you pay for a service you should expect to get what you paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Considering the one dragging him is already on forced leave I think it's safe to say they are not allowed to act like this.
    In the article it says "One of the aviation security officers involved has reportedly been placed on leave effective today." Sounds to me as a private security officer and not a local Police officer. Am i wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    What would have the police in the Netherlands done? Asked him to leave and if he said no then they leave?
    I already told you that, scroll up.

Private companies don't have the power to touch people in my country. They have the same power as any civilian under article 53 of the Dutch Criminal Procedure Code, called "civilian arrest". This gives anyone the right to arrest someone who is caught "red-handed" of committing a crime, and must be turned over to the Police immediately on the spot.
    "The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel (1928 – 2016)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    They weren't left with any alternative but to remove him, because he refused to leave.
    For one, they could stop purposely booking flights.

Second, they could have offered to buy the seats for more money or just sat there. No one wants to volunteer? Fine, then we will just sit here forever.

If anyone has some popcorn they want to go through, reddit is going full tilt over those story. /r/videos is a good place to start for some good drama.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

And this attitude is why corporations can continue to fuck people over in this country.

He PAID to be there. He wasn't a trespasser.
    And he paid and agreed that they might have to rebook him due to overbooked flights. Go read the fine print and shut up about him deserving to be there cus he paid. THey have this sort of shit covered under clauses. If airplane crew tells you to get off the plane you do it or you will be handcuffed and dragged off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    He agreed to their terms when he purchased his ticket.
    Don't it will happen but "terms" can't immune to getting overturned in court. You can't just put any old bullshit down.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-04-10 at 10:48 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    exactly. while this is a shity situation for him acting like a fucking child and forcing them to drag him out by his arms served no purpose at all. Overbooking will not get stopped and united isnt going anywhere. He just looks like a giant man child who cant accept that life is shity
    Of course not, he was likely coddled at an early age and if not then he was likely told that he was a giant special snowflake from the moment he stepped into medical school.

On my first day of law school my law school dean gave us a speech. The entirety of the speech revolved around how super special we are for getting into law school and how we are now one of the elite because of our chosen profession. I actually laughed out loud (accidentally). It was nauseatingly eyeroll-worthy. No one else did, however...I looked around and the look on the faces of everyone else was, "Yes! I believe this 100%! We are now the special-est of special snowflakes!"

I imagine medical school is like this, but much worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    All i can say is that i will never fly with united airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

Good luck with the lawsuit, more people should read the fine print when they purchase airfare.
    People have done so in the past and won.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-1fac95510429/

After Continental Airlines bumped Stone and his daughter from a flight last Christmas, Stone sued and took the airline to small claims court in New York.

He sent Continental two complaint letters, hoping to get some financial compensation. But he was rebuffed. So Stone sued, saying the airline had breached its contract with him and committed fraud. On Nov. 10, the court sided with Stone and awarded $3,100 in damages.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    And he paid and agreed that they might have to rebook him due to overbooked flights. Go read the fine print and shut up about him deserving to be there cus he paid. THey have this sort of shit covered under clauses. If airplane crew tells you to get off the plane you do it or you will be handcuffed and dragged off.
    The only reason companies can even have abhorrent policies like this is because of people like you supporting them. You must like getting fucked over.

And we sometimes lived.
    I'm glad you're in a position to make a determination on how important this doctor's presence would have been to his patients.

Can I have some of that?

10+ Year Old Account
    They aren't "forcing" people to purchase their tickets.
    Flying is required for the majority of people. Holding people hostage because of that is another issue entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    People have done so in the past and won.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-1fac95510429/

This is good. Hopefully the same happens to United, but for more money.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason companies can even have abhorrent policies like this is because of people like you supporting them. You must like getting fucked over.
    USA : Land of corporate nymphomania - fuck everyone!

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats121 View Post
    All i can say is that i will never fly with united airlines.
    happens with every airline

- - - Updated - - -

and you must like riding in an unsafe aircraft. make sure im never near you when you make this "good decision" to put up a fight against a SOF measure.

Aren't United the ones who break guitars?

Edit; IT IS!

Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-04-10 at 10:53 PM.

Deleted
    Bang out of order.