Page 33 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    omg guys... United Breaks Guitars! "Uniiiiteeed, you broke my Taylor Guitar"

Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-04-11 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    did i say i support it? I said acting like a fucking manchild on the plane like he did doesnt solve fucking shit. And as long as you buy a ticket and agree to the fine print you have to abide by thier policies. Dont like it? Dont buy a ticket through them.

- - - Updated - - -

Well apparntly it did here.
    as a lawyer i can say i would love to be this "manchild"

he just won a easy 500.000 dollars in court.

the airline just fucked but this case.
    Last edited by scarfdeath; 2017-04-11 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Well, was it worth it United? Wouldve been easier spending time finding another volunteer. Instead you injure someone and cause a 2 hour delay. They couldve easily gotten the volunteers before boarding.
    NO ONE volunteered, thats why they had to go to a lottery. They announced this BEFORE boarding. So your whole post is wrong.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're not talking about half full flights.
    I dont know what you are talking about then.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    I only fart once a week, so I guess farting is a rare thing for humans to do.

Okay.
    Umm...Sure..ok. If you want to argue bumping isnt rare, argue your point. Otherwise its just noise.

The biggest 2008 bumper according to the U.S Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, was Atlantic Southeast Airlines, which averaged 3.89 bumps per 10,000 fliers. Other chronic over-sellers included Comair and American Eagle Airlines, which averaged 3.41 and 2.44 bumps, respectively, per 10,000 customers.
    https://www.forbes.com/2009/04/16/ai...verbooked.html
    A rate of 1 bump every 34 flights if you take 787 with a capcity of 290 passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I'm going to need some actual evidence that 50% of people don't show up to their flights if you're going to keep slinging this bullshit around.
    I havent found any statistics published by an airline, but I did find this article, that nearly 40% of passengers arrive late every day. Which means a portion of those passengers could be expected to miss connecting flights.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielr.../#38e3595e74bd

then you have this, 70k people have missed American Airlines flights due to security delays during the first 5 months of 2016
    http://time.com/money/4349082/missed...es-long-lines/

Also it isnt just people "missing" their flights. It could be people who choose to fly standby, people who reschedule for a different flight etc..

There is a whole math equation to figuring out overbooking
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-s...oking-flights/
    http://mathemathinking.blogspot.com/...g-flights.html
    and a TED talk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFNstNKgEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    All major airlines have overbooking and can remove you. This wasn't an isolated incident in America. It happens anywhere, multiple times a year. A passenger not complying is what's new here.
    And it shouldn't happen at all. Hopefully this guy draws attention to the problem and can lead to it being fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Tough.

Just because there are no alternative, doesn't mean you can ignore agreements.

He can:
    1) leave as he was asked to
    2) pay for more expensive flights so less likely to be kicked off
    3) pay someone on the spot to leave in his place
    Or corporations could be made to stop fucking over people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tough.

Just because there are no alternative, doesn't mean you can ignore agreements.

He can:
    1) leave as he was asked to
    2) pay for more expensive flights so less likely to be kicked off
    3) pay someone on the spot to leave in his place
    If there are no alternatives then you start to enter the territory violation of antitrust laws.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Or corporations could be made to stop fucking over people.
    He knows the agreement, he decided to ignore it, he brought everything upon himself.

"Oh I got selected? OK let me get my stuff" is the most appropriate respond there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    If there are no alternatives then you start to enter the territory violation of antitrust laws.
    The 3 (especially number 1) choices I included are perfectly acceptable alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Umm...Sure..ok. If you want to argue bumping isnt rare, argue your point. Otherwise its just noise.
    I invite you to read over what I was "arguing"; I don't see a need to repeat it.

10+ Year Old Account
    He knows the agreement, he decided to ignore it, he brought everything upon himself.

"Oh I got selected? OK let me get my stuff" is the most appropriate respond there.

- - - Updated - - -

The 3 (especially number 1) choices I included are perfectly acceptable alternatives.
    Your 3 "alternatives" are exactly why antitrust laws exists.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Not necessarily. Its possible the need for a flight pops up today that has a person flying on Wednesday.
    True. Just like my need to make sure I had a flight booked a month ago likely popped up before I bought the ticket.

This is one of the times the government needs to step in and protect people. This is what regulations are for.

I mean, ideally that's what would happen. Unfortunately the US government is owned by corporations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Your 3 "alternatives" are exactly why antitrust laws exists.
    This is not exactly a new practice, as far as I know it has always been there.

They haven't made legislation against it yet, so in the eye of the law, it is still totally acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    NO ONE volunteered, thats why they had to go to a lottery. They announced this BEFORE boarding. So your whole post is wrong.
    Straight from the OP dude:

United overbooked the flight and after no one volunteered to leave the plane and take a later flight, police were called in to forcibly drag a man from his seat and off the plane:

You can't leave a plane that you haven't boarded. This should never have gotten to the point where anyone had to be removed from the plane. It should have been dealt with at the gate.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to find anything that proves United actually overbooked, or they just used that as an excuse.
    Overbooking would indicate they sold too many tickets, whereas everything I can find online says the people were only removed due to UA trying to stuff deadheads on (meaning everyone actually had a seat, and overbooking didn't actually happen)

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Straight from the OP dude:

You can't leave a plane that you haven't boarded. This should never have gotten to the point where anyone had to be removed from the plane. It should have been dealt with at the gate.
    Passengers were told at the gate that the flight was overbooked and United, offering $400 and a hotel stay, was looking for one volunteer to take another flight to Louisville at 3 p.m.

Whoops, missed that one ehh dude?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Trying to find anything that proves United actually overbooked, or they just used that as an excuse.
    Overbooking would indicate they sold too many tickets, whereas everything I can find online says the people were only removed due to UA trying to stuff deadheads on (meaning everyone actually had a seat, and overbooking didn't actually happen)
    All airline overbook, because more often than not, someone would miss the flight or cancel.

10+ Year Old Account
    All airline overbook, because more often than not, someone would miss the flight or cancel.
    The numbers say otherwise in this case. Four (last minute) crew members were shuffled in, while four paying passengers were disembarked.
    Certainly doesn't sound like overbooking

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    The numbers say otherwise in this case. Four (last minute) crew members were shuffled in, while four paying passengers were disembarked.
    Certainly doesn't sound like overbooking
    Discovery phase in the lawsuit should be a hoot.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by scarfdeath View Post
    as a lawyer i can say i would love to be this "manchild"

he just won a easy 500.000 dollars in court.

the airline just fucked but this case.
    You're a lawyer and you didn't even realize the airport security are the ones who injured the man? I'm calling shenanigans.

I didn't "miss" anything. The article in the OP does not state that they were asked to volunteer at the gate.

And still...why board the plane at all before settling who is going to be removed?
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.