Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Our role with explosive affix (MM)

When doing M+ I'm playing with the meme spec (Explosive shot + Piercing Shot), and I'd like to know how you deal with the explosive orbs. I know we can Arcane Shot them but I think it's a melee duty unless of course we find ourselves overwhelmed by a big amount of explosive orbs. Losing a Marking Targets in a single orb feels like a bad idea.

What are your thoughts about this?

The easy answer is that it is everyone's responsibility. If you don't want to loses marking targets use aimed shot since it does 100% increases dmg to a target that you have not damaged it should 1 shot.

Anyone with an instant cast should be targeting them. Arcane shot in MM, Cobra shot in BM, are both perfect for nuking explosives.

I personally think that ranged (specifically hunters) have a far easier time with the orbs than melee do, all i need to do is target them, one cobra shot and the orbs dead, no focus? use my petattack macro and my pet'll most likely kill it, leaving me free to use my focus on others.

Did a mythic10 the other day where we did relatively large pulls, my DPS wasn't as good as it could've been, but i was solely focused on handling the orbs so everyone else could dps without a care, no idea if an arcane shot could 1 shot the orbs, but my cobra shot was pulling it off easily, started weaving in kill commands and dire frenzies to take them out too.

Unless you lack an instant cast it is everyone's responsibility. It's a been annoying with Teeming since that led to more Orbs and, Day One, nobody knows how the mechanic works. But everyone needs to be aware with this mechanic or you will wipe. Could not even complete a +8 VotW since our tank was chain pulling and other DPS never swapped to orbs.

Your responsibility in this or any other group is to see the group succeed, whatever that may mean for you personally. DPS means jack if you wipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaNLG View Post
    I personally think that ranged (specifically hunters) have a far easier time with the orbs than melee do, all i need to do is target them, one cobra shot and the orbs dead, no focus? use my petattack macro and my pet'll most likely kill it, leaving me free to use my focus on others.

Did a mythic10 the other day where we did relatively large pulls, my DPS wasn't as good as it could've been, but i was solely focused on handling the orbs so everyone else could dps without a care, no idea if an arcane shot could 1 shot the orbs, but my cobra shot was pulling it off easily, started weaving in kill commands and dire frenzies to take them out too.

It says "(MM)"

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    It says "(MM)"
    I'm well aware of the thread title.

OP said "i think it's a melee duty" and i gave my reasoning as to why i do not think that's true, i also then stated that while cobra shot works fine at one shotting them for me, I'm not sure how Arcane shot performs in the same situation.

Just because the thread states it's about Marksmanship, that doesn't mean I can't give feedback about the other ranged spec belonging to the class and how i handle it as said spec, cobra shot and arcane shot are pretty damn similar.

cobra shot and arcane shot are pretty damn similar.
    cobra shot 495% physical dmg (including traits from artifact weapon)
    arcane shot 200% arcane dmg

I wouldn't exactly call them similar

Deleted
    Run with a fire mage, ignite spreads to it and one shots orbs. Alternatively a moonkin can do it solo without penalty too.

Deleted
    I'm well aware of the thread title.

OP said "i think it's a melee duty" and i gave my reasoning as to why i do not think that's true, i also then stated that while cobra shot works fine at one shotting them for me, I'm not sure how Arcane shot performs in the same situation.

Just because the thread states it's about Marksmanship, that doesn't mean I can't give feedback about the other ranged spec belonging to the class and how i handle it as said spec, cobra shot and arcane shot are pretty damn similar.

First of all, you can say whatever you want, that doesn't mean it will help him though.
    He's asking about MMs role.
    And Arcane shot + Cobra are not even close to being the same thing.

Arcane shotting the Orbs will eat proccs, and you can't really stop that from happening because you need 2-3 Arcane shots for each orb.
    MM and BM aren't even remotely comparable for that affix.

The only thing MM can provide is the new golden trait, It's probably the only AoE that will damage the Orbs. At least I'm not aware of any other AoE that works on them.
    But that doesn't mean MM shouldn't kill orbs, the only time where I believe it's okay to ignore them as MM is during bossfights. Unless some add spawns one far away from the group.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSwordz View Post

+ +20% damage from the first talent row.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-04-09 at 09:08 AM.

For MM it's a bit harder. Arcane shot often isn't the best option.

A normal Aimed Shot should do the trick though, since you get 100% extra damage if you haven't damaged it yet you should be able to just 1 shot the orbs with it.
    Whether this is needed depends a bit on your team; melee should take anything nearby and casters should also get some of the ranged ones since they often have better tools (compared to a MM hunter) to deal with them.
    But if you don't have any other ranged and/or people simply aren't doing their job, i fear that an Aimed Shot is your best option. Otherwise possibly wasting a proc on aimed shot and marked shot, but that's a huge loss of AoE dps.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSwordz View Post

My cobra shot hits for around 450k, the orbs only have 200-250k, so that 200% damage is probably more than enough.

Deleted
    arcane shot hits for 150k, so sadly no.

Deleted
    in my mythics+ group we have a melee normally a shaman enh whose task is to kill the orbs in melee, all of them, he can kill them very easy with the new tab system and his instants, for a mm hunter doing a +14 for example with fortified we need like 3 arcane shots to kill an orb so we are trash for it, but our aoe is so high, so i do the aoe dmg and the melee kills orbs, sometimes there are orbs popping out of melee so this is my task and the task of the other caster normally a shadow or a frost mage.

Doing that we have been able to do +19 this week without problems with orbs

My cobra shot hits for around 450k, the orbs only have 200-250k, so that 200% damage is probably more than enough.
    909 MM here - 2 arcane shots if no crit, 1 if crit. 258K is the damage it does if I crit, so if we go above... 12? I think on fortified, they have ~263K hp and even a crit won't 1 shot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyand View Post
    When doing M+ I'm playing with the meme spec (Explosive shot + Piercing Shot), and I'd like to know how you deal with the explosive orbs. I know we can Arcane Shot them but I think it's a melee duty unless of course we find ourselves overwhelmed by a big amount of explosive orbs. Losing a Marking Targets in a single orb feels like a bad idea.

What are your thoughts about this?
    I'm an MM hunter, it's definitely our responsibility too, most DEFINITELY in meme spec, pop your cds, piercing, explosive shot, etc, then as soon as your burst is gone, get on the orbs. You'll still do over 1mil add dps, and you'll help with orbs.

Losing a marking targets is not a big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    909 MM here - 2 arcane shots if no crit, 1 if crit. 258K is the damage it does if I crit, so if we go above... 12? I think on fortified, they have ~263K hp and even a crit won't 1 shot it.
    14+ takes 3 non-crit arcane shots too Sucks, but usually someone else has hit it once.

Deleted
    imho its total bullshit to say the explosive orbs are "everyones bussines", since this leads to a ton of overkill on those orbs.

You have to find a system where you don t produce that much overkill, but still managa to kill em reliable.

For our group we have a rouge that handels those orbs 95% of the time, so the other two dds can go full destruction mode, our rouge plays different talents as far as i know, to be able to handle those orbs in that way......so the way to go is, to have one dps handle those orbs, preferable one dd that can handle it all the time, even if there are 3-4-5 orbs.

It requires good communication so that the orb guy tells the other guys when he needs help (for example when he is stunned or somethinge like that) and to be able to figure out how much trash you can pull, bevore orbs get out of control.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    I'm an MM hunter, it's definitely our responsibility too, most DEFINITELY in meme spec, pop your cds, piercing, explosive shot, etc, then as soon as your burst is gone, get on the orbs. You'll still do over 1mil add dps, and you'll help with orbs.

Losing a marking targets is not a big deal.

I dont agree at all, we are not the best spec to deal with orbs, ofc everyone can kill them but u are losing efficiency when u are doing a +18, u need to give roles to everyone in the group to do it on time.

My role is to do the max aoe dmg and focus orbs when the one who is killing them ask for help because there are too many in melee or orbs are popping in range.

That way only 1 is losing dps and the other 2 dps are doing their max dps, the other way all dps would be loosing dmg with no sense

Quote Originally Posted by donmargarito View Post
    I dont agree at all, we are not the best spec to deal with orbs, ofc everyone can kill them but u are losing efficiency when u are doing a +18, u need to give roles to everyone in the group to do it on time.

My role is to do the max aoe dmg and focus orbs when the one who is killing them ask for help because there are too many in melee or orbs are popping in range.

That way only 1 is losing dps and the other 2 dps are doing their max dps, the other way all dps would be loosing dmg with no sense
    We aren't the best spec, but we can help. When you're doing 18+ you're needing everyone to help out with them, as their hp is getting very high. Meme build dps is very bursty, so you can do your burst, then help with orbs and not lose that much dps.

When there's only a few in melee, of course just the 1 should do it, but overall, on larger pulls when multiple spawn, it's definitely something we can and should do.