Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Should Rift release older versions of the game?

Honestly I think it would bring many people back. Not a lot of happy people with Starfall due to lack of content and quality of content myself included. I remember a lot of the original Rift and River of Souls being one of the most amazing updates around. Storm Legion was pretty on par too.

So my question is. Should Rift implement older versions of the game? They discussed the idea of hard mode servers which well would be pointless right now since a lot of that crowd has left the game so yeah. Discuss if you want.

I would play it.

I had a fantastic time playing chocolate Rift. For me, up there with some of my most fantastic memories during my MMO career of 13 years and actually the only time I've ever been hooked during a beta. I bought the game so quickly and took time off work for its launch.

The leveling was amazing and immersive. The whole soul tree system was fantastic, coming from FFXI which is famous for it's job(Class) system, this really impressed me.

The end-game was even better, I managed to find myself a T2 Static and had an absolute blast being involved in the first on my shard to progress in these dungeons being heavily under geared. I did end up joining a raiding guild and killed the first 2 bosses in Greenscale's Blight and was forced to quit the game because of my PC breaking.

I ended up getting caught up in FFXI + WoW so I never went back, I did try Storm Legion but without a proper community to group with, I just couldn't get back in to it.

It's a real shame what Trion has done to this game, it really was a masterpiece.
    Last edited by Lidenbok; 2017-04-11 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RiainED View Post
    I would play it.

I had a fantastic time playing chocolate Rift. For me, up there with some of my most fantastic memories during my MMO career of 13 years and actually the only time I've ever been hooked during a beta. I bought the game so quickly and took time off work for its launch.

The leveling was amazing and immersive. The whole soul tree system was fantastic, coming from FFXI which is famous for it's job(Class) system, this really impressed me.

The end-game was even better, I managed to find myself a T2 Static and had an absolute blast being involved in the first on my shard to progress in these dungeons being heavily under geared. I did end up joining a raiding guild and killed the first 2 bosses in Greenscale's Blight and was forced to quit the game because of my PC breaking.

I ended up getting caught up in FFXI + WoW so I never went back, I did try Storm Legion but without a proper community to group with, I just couldn't get back in to it.

It's a real shame what Trion has done to this game, it really was a masterpiece.

Pretty decent fight in my books. Would love to link a video from Intrepid Rise of the Phoenix....... oh wait.

Ciderhelm guides, wow. That's a blast from the past.

I will not derail this in to a nostalgia thread, but I still have some screenshots from leveling up during the beta and a video on youtube of me playing Bard badly during early release against that lvl48 boss that rewarded epic legs lol.

With Legion not being for me and FFXIV's new expansion a couple months away, I was really tempted to pick up that bundle to get back in to it, just as something to do. I really felt like sinking my teeth in to leveling a new character again, but I think I would rather wait another 9 weeks for Stormblood.
    Last edited by Lidenbok; 2017-04-11 at 03:11 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Normally I am against stuff like this but I think this is the one few options left to help that game.

Ciderhelm guides, wow. That's a blast from the past.

I will not derail this in to a nostalgia thread, but I still have some screenshots from leveling up during the beta and a video on youtube of me playing Bard badly during early release against that lvl48 boss that rewarded epic legs lol.

With Legion not being for me and FFXIV's new expansion a couple months away, I was really tempted to pick up that bundle to get back in to it, just as something to do. I really felt like sinking my teeth in to leveling a new character again, but I think I would rather wait another 8 weeks for Stormblood.
    Feel free to share any nostalgia mate. It's cool. Just keep on topic while doing it.

I had the most fun in the game before the phoenix expansion (1.3?). I would 100% play the game to do heroics again, back when talents weren't utter shit.

Other reasons:

Sab dancer
    That life/death rift dngeon where the last boss is the room full of spikes

I have forgotten the name of this dungeon. Took us hours to kill the end-boss, great fun! Fond memories there, I would love to go back to a Rift like that.

10+ Year Old Account

I have forgotten the name of this dungeon
    The Fall of Lantern Hook in Droughtlands, at the bottom of the well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirgamech View Post
    Normally I am against stuff like this but I think this is the one few options left to help that game.
    Pretty much. They think hard mode servers is a good idea yet I can't imagine there are that many of that kind of player left since the last raid was barely cleared.

You know, it's really a tough question. I've been pretty adamant about saying no to legacy servers or anything of the sort for other MMOs. However, Rift really is in a bad spot. The question seems to become, will Trion make more money this way to pay off the investment or is that money better spent on developing the current game? As much as I love the original game and SL, I still land on that I believe the money is better spent trying to get the game fixed up. Though the developers pulling their head out of their ass is a totally different topic.

Just keep in mind that the older versions of the game would still be run by the current team.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Older version of the game *might* sound like fun an I'd probably play on it for a bit. The thing is, for me, I would still be missing my old guildies. We had a great guild with a lot of fun people, dedicated towards raiding. But also outside raiding we enjoyed the other content as well. We did it together. But... it's nostalgia. looking back at that time makes me smile. But it's also something that will not return, even when there is a legacy type of server. The game we enjoyed might be there, but not the people with whom I enjoyed it.

nah, thanks. Just let this game die already

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Honestly I think it would bring many people back. Not a lot of happy people with Starfall due to lack of content and quality of content myself included. I remember a lot of the original Rift and River of Souls being one of the most amazing updates around. Storm Legion was pretty on par too.

So my question is. Should Rift implement older versions of the game? They discussed the idea of hard mode servers which well would be pointless right now since a lot of that crowd has left the game so yeah. Discuss if you want.
    Even tho I played a bit of classic Rift, I would give it a go.

With that said, I don't trust Trion and wouldn't be surprised if they turned it into a p2w shit show.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Hell yes. I loved vanilla Rift, and the first expansion was nice too.

7+ Year Old Account
    Storm Legion was the peak of the game. The leveling experience was awesome, lots of cool zones to explore (tripling the landmass of the game). Classes were at their peak for depth and engagement. Some of the raid content was buggy as fuck but most of it was entertaining as hell, and very challenging. You had Planebreaker Bastion, Infinity Gate, Grim Awakening and the Bindings of Blood (especially the last two dragons).

That being said, for me it wouldn't be as fun to redo it. There's no mystery involved in the raiding, and no sense of competition.

Deleted
    Am I the only one who want vanilla Rift? Those were the best days for me :P

I guess I am in the minority in thinking Storm Legion was complete shit. To me, the game lost its fun not too long after their half-anniversary. It wasn't as good starting with every soul, compared to having to capture a soul from a rift opening before being able to use its abilities. I actually found that to be part of the fun of early Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I guess I am in the minority in thinking Storm Legion was complete shit. To me, the game lost its fun not too long after their half-anniversary. It wasn't as good starting with every soul, compared to having to capture a soul from a rift opening before being able to use its abilities. I actually found that to be part of the fun of early Rift.

Not at all. I thought SL started out promising, but then it was a disaster. Never leveled to endgame for that expac and that was it for me.

I would definitely be involved with and love a classic Rift server (pre-expacs).

15+ Year Old Account

I have forgotten the name of this dungeon. Took us hours to kill the end-boss, great fun! Fond memories there, I would love to go back to a Rift like that.
    The name of the dungeon is on the top right corner of the screenshot.

It was a great dungeon! Loved it, horrible with pugs...
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.