Poll: For or Against Home Owners' Associations where you live?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    I am FOR but some get a bit too expensive. It keeps the neighborhood nice and clean. It also maintains homeowner value.

Some can be pricey though. Mine recently went up to $80/month a bit expensive if you ask me.
    Wow, my last one was 75 a year, I felt I got off cheap lol. The neighborhood was only 2years old too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Because in suburbia, streets ARE considered for playing on, especially when a neighborhood has no sidewalks. There are signs up and everything indicating children at play. That's a thing you know. The kids were also on bikes, and last I checked bikes are allowed on the road. A driver coming around a blind turn that's blind because of a bush and smashing into another car because he didn't see a car behind that bush isn't much different concept.
    I have this issue myself. The Pulling onto the main road the guy on the corners bushes makes it a blind spot, you can't see past it and it's hard not to pull out in front of someone. I keep waiting for a rect to happen one day from someone excessively speeding.

You usually hear about home owner associations when they make some WWII veteran take down the American Flag that's flying on his property.

On the other hand they tell you about the contract upfront before you buy.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    You usually hear about home owner associations when they make some WWII veteran take down the American Flag that's flying on his property.

On the other hand they tell you about the contract upfront before you buy.
    no no they don't.... my brother was recently looking at houses and had i not done the work he would not have seen the HOA rules. The only thing the seller had published was the dues and the fact it was in an HOA. its up the to the buyer to do the work to read the rules of the HOA and decide if its good or bad. In this case was bad.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    no no they don't.... my brother was recently looking at houses and had i not done the work he would not have seen the HOA rules. The only thing the seller had published was the dues and the fact it was in an HOA. its up the to the buyer to do the work to read the rules of the HOA and decide if its good or bad. In this case was bad.
    Your brother has a fairly good case against the agent and the HoA if he went through any sort of contract to purchase the house - disclosure of that (along with all legal action current and past) are required with the contract. Three days. You absolutely cannot hide HoA when purchasing a house without some severe shit coming your way.

10+ Year Old Account
    There really isn't just a two answer solution.
    That's over-simplifying a rather complex subject.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Your brother has a fairly good case against the agent and the HoA if he went through any sort of contract to purchase the house - disclosure of that (along with all legal action current and past) are required with the contract. Three days. You absolutely cannot hide HoA when purchasing a house without some severe shit coming your way.
    the fact it was in an HOA wasn't hidden the details of the rules were... I learned the hard way in a different state when i didn't get, ask or read the rules of an HOA in detail, and got a nasty letter for using the public hose pipe to wash my car, as to how the hoses are for gardening only and i wasn't allowed to was my car with water in the neighborhood (was a group of town homes).

the fact it was in an HOA wasn't hidden the details of the rules were... I learned the hard way in a different state when i didn't get, ask or read the rules of an HOA in detail, and got a nasty letter for using the public hose pipe to wash my car, as to how the hoses are for gardening only and i wasn't allowed to was my car with water in the neighborhood (was a group of town homes).
    That's what I'm talking about. The rules are *required* to be disclosed with a host of other information. Someone fucked you over, and it was most likely illegal unless it was very long ago.

That's what I'm talking about. The rules are *required* to be disclosed with a host of other information. Someone fucked you over, and it was most likely illegal unless it was very long ago.
    for me it was 2010, my brother was last year. Far as a i know they only required to say yes its in an HOA and these are the dues. you have ask to see the bi-laws and they can be changed at anytime in most HOA's that i've had friends live in .. i refuse to do so again.

for me it was 2010, my brother was last year. Far as a i know they only required to say yes its in an HOA and these are the dues. you have ask to see the bi-laws and they can be changed at anytime in most HOA's that i've had friends live in .. i refuse to do so again.
    I know at least in Cali it's required to send a whole host of information about it, including (as I said) rules & legal action history. Just took a class on it last year. Lotta people are ignorant af though... by which i mean agents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having live with and without them, I'm looking forward to moving back into an HOA community. Then again, at $430k my neighbors probably won't be an issue anyways

I know at least in Cali it's required to send a whole host of information about it, including (as I said) rules & legal action history. Just took a class on it last year. Lotta people are ignorant af though... by which i mean agents.
    yeah its good info should i have to move again and get forced into an HOA area, esp after learning the hardway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    There really isn't just a two answer solution.
    That's over-simplifying a rather complex subject.
    I disagree.

Whether the HOA is strict, mandatory, lax, voluntary, etc. it still comes down to one question...property value vs. freedom.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not in one, but I've read enough horror stories to know I don't want to touch one with a fifty foot pole.

Oh, sorry, the pole is five feet too long and painted the wrong color, that's a $500 fine.

But seriously though, I don't need some council of powerhungry idiots telling me what flowers I'm allowed to plant in my own yard or throwing a fit because I parked the snowblower outside on the driveway rather than putting it back in the garage, or the other trillion bullshit stories I've read.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2017-04-11 at 05:22 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    What the fuck, thats an actual thing?

Surely the law doesnt force you to actually pay these fines.
    Yeah you enter the contract when you buy the house. When you are looking at the house the realtor will generally go over costs including HOA and maintenance fees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    No idea if we have them here, is it an American thing?

Against. I'm not allowed to change the shitty plastic mailbox out front because everyone's needs to match. They are oppressive and tyrannical (mild hyperbole).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Instead of forcing everyone else to trim back bushes, how about parents take some responsibility keep their damn kids off the street. They are for driving on, not playing on
    SubUrban roads are generally also intended for bikes.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do run into some insane stuff, like the HOA requiring a specific type of lawn be maintained, during a drought when it would be illegal to water it to the level it would require. So home owners are stuck with either breaking the law, or getting sued by their HOA.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ht-050415.html

Now in fairness, they agreed to follow the nonsense rules.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I have this issue myself. The Pulling onto the main road the guy on the corners bushes makes it a blind spot, you can't see past it and it's hard not to pull out in front of someone. I keep waiting for a rect to happen one day from someone excessively speeding.
    We had so many wrecks, injuries and deaths from bushes being grown right on the side of the road and drivers coming around blind turns or people coming out of blind driveways/intersections that our city actually ended up passing a local law banning bushes that created a blind turn or blind intersection, including driveways.

There were a lot of areas where I was really nervous driving because I always felt I might hit someone because I couldn't see around the bushes, and once that passed all of those bushes were removed. It was so nice.

Orlong's sentiment stems from this notion of how he manages his yard should not be controlled, but when there are serious safety issues that have lead to many deaths, then yeah, how you manage your yard becomes of public concern.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    You do run into some insane stuff, like the HOA requiring a specific type of lawn be maintained, during a drought when it would be illegal to water it to the level it would require. So home owners are stuck with either breaking the law, or getting sued by their HOA.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ht-050415.html

Now in fairness, they agreed to follow the nonsense rules.
    Is it not illegal to force somebody to perform an illegal action by using a contract?