Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    U of Wisconsin Researcher: Standard English ‘Oppressive’ to Minorities; Teach Ebonics Instead

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/u-of...onics-instead/

An undergrad researcher at the University of Wisconsin-Madison has entered the public limelight with research indicating that standard English is “oppressive” to minorities, essentially stating that grammatically correct speech is too hard for them to learn.

Erika Gallagher argues that schools must allow for minority students to speak in ebonics, just weeks after the University of Washington-Tacoma endorsed a similar campaign declaring standard grammar racist. The Daily Cardinal reports that Gallagher’s research was chosen for presentation at the Collegiate Conference on Composition and Communication in Portland, Oregon this semester, where her work to erase the stigma against ebonics attained national attention.

Gallagher’s research focuses on a theory called “code switching,” which means that individuals adapt their speech and mannerisms to those around them. She believes that minorities with poor language skills feel marginalized by having to adapt to those who speak proper English. To mind their sensitivities, Gallagher intends to end the stigma of ebonics—also known as African-American Vernacular English—a dialect spoken by some black people in the United States—and encourage its use in schools.

“I want to center the voices of the people who need to be centered,” said Gallagher. “As a Writing Fellow, as a white-passing person, I have a lot of power and privilege that should be shared.”

Gallagher says she based her research on three interviews with student leaders at UW-Madison from minority groups. She asked them how they felt about code switching, and says that the persons she interviewed “overwhelmingly” said they felt oppressed, one of whom called it “the biggest form of cognitive dissonance that exists.”

Yes, you read that correctly: her research is based wholly on interviews with three college students who, like many special snowflakes, would feel oppressed if you looked at them the wrong way. Apparently, the three students are now the primary spokespersons for every minority to ever live in the United States.

As a writing fellow, she says that the focus on teaching students how to use proper English causes minorities to feel excluded, and she wants to change that. “Just because you speak a different way doesn’t mean you’re not smart, but there’s a huge stigma around it,” Gallagher said. “I want to teach [educators] a different rhetoric, teach them to be more accepting.”

Gallagher has expressed her intention to funnel her research into a nonprofit organization that encourages teachers to allow students to speak in any way that makes them feel comfortable—even in broken English.

After all, why should colleges be places of learning when they can serve as nurseries for overgrown infants, instead?
    ^Teacher argues grades are more important than a life of struggle brought on by an inability to communicate like a professional. What an idiotic thing to think...

She is arguing against the concept of teaching a man to fish instead of feeding him fish, and she is an educator. You would think she would put more value in the long term impact her profession can have on people.

People always reference things and how they're moving towards how Idiocracy portrayed the future, well this is one of those things. For some reason I'm not seeing people making the same comparisons...hmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Ebonic speech is not proper/formal...

Oh by the way this video was suspended from youtube several times. I fucking wonder why
    What the fuck is this shit?!

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Oh but it is, especially in the context I entered the discussion in which is a professional environment.
    Aaaaannnnnnd?
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Oh by the way this video was suspended from youtube several times. I fucking wonder why
    Why is her name Corey?

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Aaaaannnnnnd?
    Refer to my initial response, or do you need to be told how to follow along during a discussion?
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Teaching people ebonics is just setting them up for failure lol. I do recruiting for a living, the one thing that just about every company hates is a person who is American but can't properly speak the damn language.

7+ Year Old Account

I wouldn't hire her/them to work in any job that required them to work with the public or other employees.

They would sue me.

I'd be forced to close my place of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    You know what's funny? People in the US don't even speak PROPER ENGLISH.
    Maybe make English the official language of the US before designating what type of English to use.
    Ebonics= AAVE.
    Not sure which country you are referring to. American English is actually more tolerant of modern enunciations than British English. Not to mention the US has a far larger population that natively speak English compared to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    This actually tried to happen over 20 years ago, a lot of black leaders were against it.

This is no different than teaching white kids hillbilly talk, we should be encouraging students proper English, not tools to help them fail.
    I was wondering about this as soon as i saw the post... If someone had tried to teach me some weird english i'd have been royally pissed. In Puerto Rico our first language is spanish, but were all taught normal english from first grade. Generally our pronunciation sucks from lack of practice, but we understand and can write english just fine. There is no reason to teach a kid of any ethnicity anything other than proper english, that goes quadruple if its their first language since a first language is super easy to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Because AAVE has fundamentally different syntax from other variations of English, being descended from a pidgin, and therefore conforming to prescriptive standards requires a more drastic alteration than it does for people who speak many other dialects. It is incorrect to frame prescriptively correct English as "proper English," however, as written language is secondary to spoken language and prescriptive English is a derivative of descriptive English, not the other way around. It's not about it being too hard exactly, but about it being harder than it is for people like me, who grew up in an area where pretty much everyone speaks in a manner that is very close to Standard American English, and therefore I have very little to learn when compared to others.

But by all means, keep citing sources that are little more than anti-left outrage factories. Don't actually bother learning anything.
    I LOVE this post so much. I wish we had a Like system here

Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Refer to my initial response, or do you need to be told how to follow along during a discussion?
    I follow just fine. Maybe you haven't followed my side.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by scrangos View Post
    There is no reason to teach a kid of any ethnicity anything other than proper english, that goes quadruple if its their first language since a first language is super easy to learn.
    It's hilarious because it's saying "you're too stupid to learn to speak correctly, so we'll teach you in a different way."
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by scrangos View Post
    There is no reason to teach a kid of any ethnicity anything other than proper english
    Everyone has a right to speak their dialect. They should also be able to get the mandatory education in it.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Teaching people ebonics is just setting them up for failure lol. I do recruiting for a living, the one thing that just about every company hates is a person who is American but can't properly speak the damn language.
    This, I could rant about this topic but I don't even feel like it should even be discussed. Every American is taught the same language, no one is too stupid to understand it. Shit other countries learn multiple languages better than many Americans learn English.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    just weeks after the University of Washington-Tacoma endorsed a similar campaign declaring standard grammar racist.
    Tacoma...not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Nfinitii View Post
    This, I could rant about this topic but I don't even feel like it should even be discussed. Every American is taught the same language, no one is too stupid to understand it. Shit other countries learn multiple languages better than many Americans learn English.
    Better yet, black people in other countries learn multiple languages. Hell, black people in the UK learn english just fine. So either they are saying that American English is harder then UK English, OR Black Americans are dumber than Black Britians. As a black man who was able to learn English just fine...I think both are wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJrogue View Post
    Just ignore her dude.
    Agreed. This is what passes for productivity at today's college campi.

I've always been a great supporter of prescriptive grammar and more generally, the concept of speaking "properly", regardless of language. I believe we need an unambiguous shared reference frame to convey meaning that minimises the possibility for misunderstanding.

Beyond that, there are always situations in life where you may need to demonstrate some respect - not submission, just basic human courtesy, such as one would expect from a ticket agent or a cashier - and speaking non-vernacular language is a part of that in my book. I doubt I should explain at length the difficulties being restricted to speaking some form of vernacular pose to advancement in just about any professional field (with the possible exception of professional sports).

It's anti-american crap like this that let to Trumps election. It's the left continuing to do stuff like this that will lead to his re-election.

Trump 2020!!