Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Good luck on getting that dollar raise. You have to watch a bunch of videos, and occasionally take a test, but they only unlock at certain intervals, so you can only take, like one a week, and yeah, you're never going to actually have time to take them. And even if you do, it's still like six months before you can "graduate". Because simplifying things is not Wal-Mart's strong suit.
    no wal-mart doesn't want to do it because corporate there is cheap and greedy.
    op you should try and see if you can't get a different set of jobs those 2 companies are notorious for having shitty employee treatment.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    to cut a long answer short.

No.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    want to earn more, go to school/uni.

stuck with high education costs, go to a country where it is free. Guess I am lucky I am european and many EU countries have top class high education for free.
    so did they teach you anything about how the immigration process works in school?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Jesus Christ and here I thought America abolished slavery.
    it's 2.33/hr here in wisconsin...but for a lot of states it's 2.13.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I mean if you're going to reach for the bottom of the barrel, come to Minnesota. Like others have said, you seem to be a hard worker. Serving in Minnesota is particularly lucrative--you make minimum wage ON TOP of tips (most servers I know make like 25$+ a hour). Otherwise, what you could do, is work at a local Starbucks. They start you out at $10, and depending on the location, you can get probably around $2 a hour in tips. Additionally, Starbucks is really good to their employee. They will give you FREE schooling to go to ASU online as long as you work 20 hours a week; they also have very insurance for part time workers.

10+ Year Old Account
    If all you get in a day is 6 hours of sleep... what are you even working to pay for? It cannot be rent, after all, you have no time to do anything, but sleep for 6 hours. You can probably do that on a bench by your first job, then even get extra sleep due not needing to travel. I don't think you'll save much at 300 bucks a week. You don't have time for entertainment. It doesn't sound like you have a family. So... why are you doing this?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Would have no time for video games or personal time until the weekend and even then i work at mc donalds 8 to 4 on the weekends

- - - Updated - - -
    Not sure about this. If you haven't worked in retail before, you wouldn't know that they can call you in at spur of the moment times and this could also interfere with your other job. Retail, while you have work hours, doesn't mean you're not sort of "on call" for them. Not saying you have to agree to go in if they ask, but it's always in your best interest to go if they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Did the two job thing for a year. And job performance suffered due to lack of sleep.
    I realized also that it wasn't just job performance that suffered; everything I was doing was just half-assed. My concentration would just wander...

Never again.

Don't underestimate the restorative power of a full cycle of restful sleep.
    I did 2 jobs and a college credit load that I needed a dean to approve, because I went over a semesters credit cap. Still did great everywhere, but I got completely burnt out. It took a few months to get back to normal after I was done. On mondays I'd leave the house at 6 am... return a little after 9 pm and would pass out before Raw/Nitro ended at 11. I did have Saturday as a day off from everything.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Not sure about this. If you haven't worked in retail before, you wouldn't know that they can call you in at spur of the moment times and this could also interfere with your other job. Retail, while you have work hours, doesn't mean you're not sort of "on call" for them. Not saying you have to agree to go in if they ask, but it's always in your best interest to go if they do.
    Yeah it's one of the problems with retail as one of the jobs when working two jobs. Retail jobs like Wal-Mart often expect 100% of your time, whether you're on schedule or not. If they call you and you don't go in, whether it's a day off, staying late, coming in early, anything, they like to hit your hours in following weeks as a "wake up call."

Was a sporting goods manager for Wal-Mart when I was 18 and some of the shit I was expected to do and say to my employees with scheduling, tasking, etc was flat out fucking absurd and often even illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Wondering if i can make it, i got a job at walmart and mc donalds. Mc Donalds is 8 am to 4 pm grill position, $7.25 an hr and i work 5-7 hrs, Walmart is 11 pm to 7 am and i'll be overnight stocker so physical job and its $9.50 an hr after a computer assignment $10.50. I would be working 8 to 4 then sleeping for 6 hrs then leaving for my next job and working from 11 to 7 am and doing it all over again, would have an hr to bike to my house and change for my next job.

Anyone else worked two jobs? 600-700 per 2 weeks tho $$
    I have worked two jobs before. It wasn't all that bad. I did it for to save up for my first house. Put everything back that earned on the second job for a down payment.

I'm having too much trouble with your math to give you an answer.

5 hours at $7.25 5 days a week = 181/wk (you list an 8 hour shift, but say you only work 5-7 hours. Not sure how that works).
    8 hours at $9.50 5 days a week = 380/wk

= $561/wk or $1122 every 2 weeks.

Yet you say you're only making 600-700 every two weeks. So either you're working fewer hours than that or you're making more money. I'm leaning towards the former. If that's true, it changes things significantly.

When I got out of school, while career job hunting, I ended up working 2 part time and 1 full time job that covered about the same schedule (interestingly enough overnight was also throwing stock). After 8 months I was in the hospital from an opportunistic blood infection brought on by an immune system compromised from exhaustion.

You can do it, but you won't do anything else. You have to stay healthy, get solid rest, and don't overextend yourself on off days (try to have one whole day of rest at least). Working for a goal is admirable, but if you don't need the money to survive, weigh carefully the sacrifice.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    I work at stop and shop for about 1000$ a month (after taxes) and I only work 30 hours a week. I'm in college atm and it's helping a ton. I work as a dairy clerk (stocking and breaking down the truck) so it's not even that hard of a job.

I feel like you could be in a way better spot if you tried a few more places. Not every stop and shop treats they're employees as good as this one does, I absolutely love my managers and my dairy manager. They make me actually want to go to work more than I do. They're very nice people.

Regardless of all of that, I absolutely don't think you should be doing what you're attempting. Go for something like others have stated (Costco) or try You're luck elsewhere. McDonalds is paying you 7.25 an hour? The fuck is this? That's horseshit, go somewhere else.
    Only reason why im working at mc donalds is because its 5 minutes away from the house and it was the only place that called me back, you have to keep in mind i dont have a car so anything further than 10 miles i cant do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tapzer View Post
    If you are gonna work retail, apply for costco. Seriously, they actually pay you decent money for no experiance and its a good place to call a career if it interests you. I got into my job with just a ged and no college. When i first got hired you started at 11.50 an hour. Which now most states costco starts you at 13.50, Been here 7 years and im already on track to be a manager, which make about 45+ a year, after that is store manager which makes 65k+ a year. All without a college education and no experiance when starting the job. even if you dont want to have a leadership position, top out is 23.50/hr with a 50 cents raise every year after that. Once you are topped out you get 2 bonuses a year amount depending on how long you have been there. Friend of mine has been there 18 years, gets 4500 dollars twice a year just for being there for so long.
    There isnt a costco near me, closest one is Merrillville and i have no way to get there. I DO NOT HAVE A CAR
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Can you do it, probably, but for how long and at what cost? You would barely get any sleep, working 2 physical jobs and biking an hour to 1 job.

I would look into human service type jobs, entry level job will pay you more and not have many requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    I'm having too much trouble with your math to give you an answer.

5 hours at $7.25 5 days a week = 181/wk (you list an 8 hour shift, but say you only work 5-7 hours. Not sure how that works).
    8 hours at $9.50 5 days a week = 380/wk

= $561/wk or $1122 every 2 weeks.

Yet you say you're only making 600-700 every two weeks. So either you're working fewer hours than that or you're making more money. I'm leaning towards the former. If that's true, it changes things significantly.
    I think he means an 8 hour shift with a 1 hour unpaid lunch so working 7 hours but if it isn't busy he will get sent home early so will only end up working 5 hours.
    Last edited by Seirith; 2017-04-12 at 03:51 PM.

Unless you absolutely need the money (i.e.: you have a child or sick parent you need to attend) or you are doing it for a really short amount of time: don't do it.

I had a pretty intense routine at one point of my life, it was at college (4 hours/day), internship (6 hours/day), 1 mandatory hour of lunch and a couple hours of commuting. I would leave my house at 7:45 am and get back around 8:30 pm (sometimes later, depending on the bus schedule), then when I got home I still had to dedicate some time to the college (study to tests, homework and assignments). I would mostly go to bed 2 a.m. I even developed my own coffee + milk + chocolate drink that would keep me going for some more time.

I was always tired, it was not a rare occasion that I would sleep 12 hours+ on friday and I was 22~23 at the time. I did because the final reward was great: a diploma in a nice area and a good job when I graduated. In your case, it is just money, so I don't think it is worth it.

There was a point in my life where I worked at Target and Best Buy. Worked as a stocker at Target from 5 am till around noon and then at Best Buy as a phone sales dude from 3 till 9. It absolutely sucked and I hated every day of it. Only do that shit to yourself if you absolutely have to to survive. Im in a much better situation now but even thinking about going back to a situation like that gives me chills.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so did they teach you anything about how the immigration process works in school?

- - - Updated - - -

it's 2.33/hr here in wisconsin...but for a lot of states it's 2.13.
    immigration laws depends on the country. If you are going as a student in a country you ask for a student visa, like everyone else.

See, you are already blocked mentally there. The two examples of people I talked about, were not "blocked" by anything.

What can YOU do in their shoes? fold over?

Right to the point ..can you do it ? yes you can for a limited time, 6 months tops then it will have a real impact on your health, can you be motivated to do it that's another question ....if you need money for something specific like a trip somewhere nice or got some heavy bills to pay off fast, then it should be ok.

If you *just* do it to have extra money to *throw around* then not likely.. i do not know you but my guess is that after a month or 2 you will start to show up late at work ... you also will find any way to get around your work the easy way ... then you are kicked from both jobs and wishing you had kept just one....

Did you try to get more hours 1 of the places ? simply going to your boss saying : anytime anyone calls in sick i am ready .... got extra shifts ? i am ready ! overtime ? i am in !

Most bosses or daily managers do have a *list* of people the call first when they need a extra hand for whatever reason and they are going to call you first if they know you say yes and show up, none want to make 10 calls around to people that do not pick up the phone or are saying no because they got *stuff* to do.

This would be my first step if i wanted more money, being the one that has to make those calls right now i tell you ... those 2-3 people you can count on when there is problems are golden.

Oh that's too much for 600 to 700

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a general rule of not hiring people with a second job.

It never works out for the company or the individual.

Yea worrying about that too

- - - Updated - - -

I'm jelly lol i also have no car so part of the reason why im trying to work 2 jobs so i can get my car faster since i also have to pay for drivers ed and thats 410
    Why don't you know...get a non shitty job and save your sanity? If you haven't got the competence use that extra energy to educate yourself instead so you can get out of that hellhole. Sleeping 6hours/day is good enough, I've managed over a year of engineering studies with that amount.