Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    I say go for it!!! Test it out, if it becomes too much, you can always ask for less time.
    I've worked two jobs before, 430 am - 3pm and then 5-9pm... it's doable... but VERY taxing on your health

sometimes you do what you have to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    So a cashier working 22 days/month, 8 hours per day earns $3872 per month? That's way above the national average in both Sweden and Belgium.
    It's also over double the national average here in the USA. CostCo jobs are hard to get, but they come with a lot of benefits.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Wondering if i can make it, i got a job at walmart and mc donalds. Mc Donalds is 8 am to 4 pm grill position, $7.25 an hr and i work 5-7 hrs, Walmart is 11 pm to 7 am and i'll be overnight stocker so physical job and its $9.50 an hr after a computer assignment $10.50. I would be working 8 to 4 then sleeping for 6 hrs then leaving for my next job and working from 11 to 7 am and doing it all over again, would have an hr to bike to my house and change for my next job.

Anyone else worked two jobs? 600-700 per 2 weeks tho $$
    It's doubtful you can sustain that schedule if you are only sleeping 6 hours a day. However, if you can take it, I suspect you will be successful in life, as that is quite a burden to manage.

Did the two jobs for awhile, gave it up after a few months when lack of sleep caught up with me.

On trick for working fast food is to take the night shift. Activity is low and turnover is high, so it doesn't take long to become senior person on the shift. Shift lead and night manager are within reach at that point, which pay significantly more than grill positions. For stocking positions, look at grocery stores and warehouses like Costco that have real pay charts.

Wondering if i can make it, i got a job at walmart and mc donalds. Mc Donalds is 8 am to 4 pm grill position, $7.25 an hr and i work 5-7 hrs, Walmart is 11 pm to 7 am and i'll be overnight stocker so physical job and its $9.50 an hr after a computer assignment $10.50. I would be working 8 to 4 then sleeping for 6 hrs then leaving for my next job and working from 11 to 7 am and doing it all over again, would have an hr to bike to my house and change for my next job.

Anyone else worked two jobs? 600-700 per 2 weeks tho $$
    Its unhealthy to sleep less than 7 hours during any extended period of time. and with that schedule i doubt you will even get 6.
    5 and a half is probably the best you can hope for and that is if you fall asleep easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Yikes, I feel sorry for people that work this kind of shit for that Money.

$3800 a month for my 8-5 job doesn't seem as bad.
    Got ya beat! $8500 a month for 7:30 to 3:30!
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortsy View Post
    You can check to see if there are any Disney stores around your area. Disney is always hiring and gave me an opportunity other places did not.
    Closest one is Merrillville lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    Jesus dude, rofl, you're gonna die, or live like a dead man. That sounds beyond miserable, if I were you I would only keep the biggest pay job of the 2 and use the rest of your time to find a better job.
    Yea probably quit mc donalds and keep the day/afternoon as me time, came close to quitting today since managers were pissing me off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Seems technically possible. No idea about your age, personality, your stamina, your social life...and how long you want to do it. Sounds very tough
    21, no social life, personality loner lol, stamina meh i'd do it for the money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    Don't do that, unless you want to fall over from sleep deprivation at some point.

You sound like someone that does not mind working hard to make something happen, so you should rethink your strategy.

Instead of working 2 jobs to save up for a car, why not work one job and save up (slower, of course) for a ticket to Europe, apply to an university or whatever you'd like to do, and find a job over here to pay for it. While the wage difference between US and Europe has been grossly overstated in this thread - our education prices (or rather, lack of price in some countries) is what makes the difference.

As a foreigner you can easily live and study with just one job, because education prices are so low (in the Netherlands for a high education, it is around $2200 a year, 4 years, 6 if you want your masters)

The city I live in has a very good university (RUG) with many international students, they all have no issues finding jobs to pay their studies because everyone here in the Netherlands is perfectly fine with English. RUG is working on a campus located in China and we have many Chinese students over here - if they can pay for traveling here & studying, I am sure you can do it as well.

TLDR; save up, skip car, emigrate & get an education of your liking. Move back to US afterwards if you want to.
    Yea, but they also depends upon if you have a friend or a family member you can house with. Cant just expect to buy a plane ticket, fly there and rent a house or apartment right away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    no wal-mart doesn't want to do it because corporate there is cheap and greedy.
    op you should try and see if you can't get a different set of jobs those 2 companies are notorious for having shitty employee treatment.
    There is nothing else out here by me, everything else is either too far or requires a car to get to

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    If all you get in a day is 6 hours of sleep... what are you even working to pay for? It cannot be rent, after all, you have no time to do anything, but sleep for 6 hours. You can probably do that on a bench by your first job, then even get extra sleep due not needing to travel. I don't think you'll save much at 300 bucks a week. You don't have time for entertainment. It doesn't sound like you have a family. So... why are you doing this?
    Car, and then after that just spending money for my car/phone bill and a few games thats it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    I'm having too much trouble with your math to give you an answer.

5 hours at $7.25 5 days a week = 181/wk (you list an 8 hour shift, but say you only work 5-7 hours. Not sure how that works).
    8 hours at $9.50 5 days a week = 380/wk

= $561/wk or $1122 every 2 weeks.

Yet you say you're only making 600-700 every two weeks. So either you're working fewer hours than that or you're making more money. I'm leaning towards the former. If that's true, it changes things significantly.
    With the 5-7, sometimes mc donalds only gives me 5 hrs or they give me 7 hr shifts depends upon who is coming in that day. I did the math too for mc donalds and it was around 400 but thats before taxes and other corporate deductions, now idk about walmart.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

my mother did something like this raising me and my younger brother, 3 jobs a day, she was home maybe 5 hours a day, i feel for you. as for my self, i got a very good paying job, but the catch was it was 3.5 hours away, and i didnt have the funds to get a place close to work, so i drove 3 hours to work, then 4 hours back due to washington DC traffic after working for 8 hours, did that for a year and i was just so burnt out.

Depends on your age. When I was 18-23 I worked 2 jobs and went to college. Now I work full time and go to school full time, while occasionally moonlighting other jobs. Brutal sometimes. Social life takes a hit. I sleep 3 hours a day sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Why don't you know...get a non shitty job and save your sanity? If you haven't got the competence use that extra energy to educate yourself instead so you can get out of that hellhole. Sleeping 6hours/day is good enough, I've managed over a year of engineering studies with that amount.
    Cant do anything atm, college doesnt start for me until summer since this term is almost over
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

At that point Id prob consider doing online webcam shit if i was that desperate.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Good for you I guess?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Good for you I guess?

Closest one is Merrillville lol

- - - Updated - - -

Yea probably quit mc donalds and keep the day/afternoon as me time, came close to quitting today since managers were pissing me off.

- - - Updated - - -

21, no social life, personality loner lol, stamina meh i'd do it for the money.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, but they also depends upon if you have a friend or a family member you can house with. Cant just expect to buy a plane ticket, fly there and rent a house or apartment right away.

- - - Updated - - -

There is nothing else out here by me, everything else is either too far or requires a car to get to

- - - Updated - - -

Car, and then after that just spending money for my car/phone bill and a few games thats it.

- - - Updated - - -

With the 5-7, sometimes mc donalds only gives me 5 hrs or they give me 7 hr shifts depends upon who is coming in that day. I did the math too for mc donalds and it was around 400 but thats before taxes and other corporate deductions, now idk about walmart.
    Well it depends on where you go, but most universities have either their own campus and/or help you find a place - so if you sort study visa etc and get admitted to a place, it might just be a whole lot easier then you think.

Just don't expect to live in a large place for a few years, but hey, it will get you a degree and so on.
    Either way, I would really do a little research if you are serious - this city here is super multicultural, they come from all over the world to study here. Again, if they can do it, so can you.
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    Well it depends on where you go, but most universities have either their own campus and/or help you find a place - so if you sort study visa etc and get admitted to a place, it might just be a whole lot easier then you think.

Just don't expect to live in a large place for a few years, but hey, it will get you a degree and so on.
    Either way, I would really do a little research if you are serious - this city here is super multicultural, they come from all over the world to study here. Again, if they can do it, so can you.
    Not going to lie, i would probably be more interested in the asian girls lol

Deleted
    If I were you I would literally think of robbing a bank/killing myself. Don't do that. I mean don't work these 2 jobs and don't rob a bank/kys.
    I feel sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    So half that? That's not even worth lifting a finger for. 13-15 hours a day for a month to earn couple hundred above welfare? What on earth....
    This here is the best example of why our country is going down the shitter... OP is genuinely trying to better themselves, and random no-lifers are telling him/her to hop on the welfare bus.

On topic though... I did something similar when going through school, and it was kind of shitty. It wasn't as bad as you are describing but I still had too much stuff going on. If you absolutely need the money, then go for it, but if the walmart position will suit your needs then just do that and work on finding a different job elsewhere, or try to move up in the company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or...

You can look into private security. Extremely easy job. The problem is most people don't put the time in / care / show initiative to make the following happen:

10-12 bucks an hour starting. No experience needed. As much overtime as you want but you won't ever be forced into it unless it's a dire situation. But pick up as much as you can, without killing yourself, to get your name out there as someone who gives as damn. (Your relief calls off you volunteer to stay and help out.)

Put six months to a year in with good attendance and making good decisions and become a shift supervisor. 12-14 an hour.

Put a year in as a shift supervisor, good attendance and taking those optional online courses they offer. Get promoted to a site supervisor 15-17 bucks an hour.

Do that for 3 years, with good attendance and showing initiative, become an account manager 47,000 - 75,000 a year.

I've shown you the boot straps. Now do it.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

7+ Year Old Account
    Only you can answer that question. I suggest looking for a better alternative though.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Best to keep in mind, your health is more important than making a lot of money. 6 hrs of sleep is not enough for most people. 8 hrs a day is normal. Plus emotionally you need some breaks from work.